Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Green Inferno (2015, Eli Roth) (S: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Sky Ferreira)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-11-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Student activists from New York City travel to the remote jungles of Peru in order to stage a protest but instead encounter a tribe of cannibals.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2403021/
Old 02-12-13, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: THE GREEN INFERNO (2013) (dir. Eli Roth) (Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Sky Ferreira)

Or, Eli Roth tries to make Cannibal Holocaust and fails.

I want to be excited for this, but Roth hasn't made a great horror film yet, and he seems more concerned with acting and producing than directing. I expect this to be acceptably mediocre like the rest of his oeuvre.
Old 02-12-13, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: THE GREEN INFERNO (2013) (dir. Eli Roth) (Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Sky Ferreira)

Now Roth is emulating Deodato and Lenzi.

This should be an interesting failure to watch.
Old 02-12-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are quick to holler "fail". Lets see a trailer first before we start judging.
Old 02-12-13, 09:28 AM
Banned

I've had Hostel and Cabin Fever on my list to watch. I've never seen any film of his. The only thing I did see him do is that trailer for Thanksgiving. That was some great shit. Nation's Pride doesn't count either.

I didn't mind him in Inglorious Basterds. He was great as The Jew Bear. Not that the character demanded anything more than it was given. It wasn't Hans Landa or Aldo Raine. He was a Jew from Boston. Was good enough for me to convince that he was for the character.
Old 02-12-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Roth is having fun, not making great art, you either dig it or you don't.

I thought Cabin Fever was terrible but fun, and I like Hostel.
Old 09-08-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this at TIFF last night. For once, a nearly-packed house at this festival! I'm not a huge fan of Roth's filmmaking to date, but this is by far his best work (7/10 in my opinion, others will no doubt rate it much higher AND much lower), and the gore (led by Nicotero and Berger) is through the roof. Although it foregrounds Roth's still-unremarkable dialogue skills -- though in no way as badly as did RZA's awful vanity show MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS -- it also reveals that he's improved his character development skills somewhat during his six-year absence from the director's seat. The gore, as mentioned, is exceptionally well done, and plentiful, and Roth gets an appropriately large and ominous feel thanks in large part to Manuel Riveiro's full orchestral score and sweeping aerial shots of the dense forest. If you've seen any of the Ruggero Deodato/Umberto Lenzi films, however, you'll know Roth treads no new ground with this picture, but he does so with a bigger toolbox. In fact, there's probably a generation or two out there now who don't even realize the earlier pictures exist. Roth knows this, so he lists them all in the closing credits (along with Twitter handles for most of the cast). Savvy, although one could read it as a preemptive strike against those who would try to call him out for simply rehashing old movies.

Love him or hate him, or this film, but there's no denying Roth's enthusiasm, or his ability to work a room. I shot these at the TIFF world premiere last night. At 25 minutes between the two, it's one of the longest and more generous Q&A's I've seen in nearly 20 years of fest-going, and that's all due to Roth. (apologies for occasional wobbliness; not easy to shoot these things when people keep brushing past you on their way out of the Ryerson)

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u9RZrn3lCa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S1dAO-KdTSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 09-08-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate him,

BUT I will say that the positive word I've been hearing has me at least looking forward to watching this. Roth loves to smugly act like he's "Hollywood's horror guy", but real horror fans know better. And he needs to deliver here to turn some of that tide.
Old 09-08-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked both Hostel films and Cabin Fever. Looking forward to this.
Old 09-08-13, 05:43 PM
Banned

I like Roth in Inglourious. He's an alright actor. Aint great or amazing but he gets the job done. I do also enjoy his enthusiasm though. Kind of gets infectious.
Old 09-08-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I liked both Hostel films and Cabin Fever. Looking forward to this.
Same for me. To this point, his movies haven't been great but they have been entertaining. That's enough to make me wanna see this one.
Old 09-08-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I like Roth in Inglourious. He's an alright actor. Aint great or amazing but he gets the job done. I do also enjoy his enthusiasm though. Kind of gets infectious.
Watch Aftershock and you'll retract those words in a fucking heartbeat.
Old 09-08-13, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viewers who enjoyed CABIN FEVER and the HOSTELS shouldn't have any trouble enjoying this. Those who hated them might still find GREEN INFERNO to be a marked improvement. It's no classic -- mainly because it remakes classics and doesn't bring anything new to the table except a modest critique of modern activist movements -- but it delivers what it promises. I loathed CABIN FEVER, and only moderately liked the HOSTEL films any better, but purposely kept my expectations perfectly level going in (the thinking being that Roth surely had the potential to get better eventually), and they were exceeded; not greatly, but enough.

I don't think it needed to be 103 minutes long, though, but even at that length, it's hardly crawls. It just takes too long to get where we all know it's going. The first 30-40 minutes could be shorn of about 10 minutes and still have the same effect (building character and laying in the social commentary). The originals didn't require such drawn out set-ups, but I suppose that's Roth showing us he's at least trying to build believable characters and situations instead of letting the actors and special effects guys do the work for him (and his actors here are just OK, so the pre-cannibal material needed to do some heavy lifting to make us care about them, something that succeeds, in part. As for the FX guys, they MORE than earned their pay on this one).

Plus there's one left-field bad-taste masturbation gag that is truly inspired.
Old 04-16-14, 09:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Idealistic Justine (Lorenza Izzo) joins a group of campus radicals on a mission to disrupt the illegal clear-cutting of a Peruvian jungle, which is endangering the tranquil lives of an isolated Amazonian tribe. Armed with good intentions and the power of their cellphone cameras, the group flies to Peru and seemingly succeeds in their mission. But the activists’ celebration quickly turns to tragedy when their plane crashes in the jungle — and they find themselves on the dinner menu of the very people they were trying to protect.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rT3mhaHzAww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-16-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Green Inferno (2014, Eli Roth) (S:Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Sky Ferreira)

Horror master?

Old 04-16-14, 11:37 PM

Re: The Green Inferno (2014, Eli Roth) (S:Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Sky Ferreira)

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Horror master?

Couldn't have said it better myself. If Roth is Now considered a "master", who else are the studios going to start promoting this way?
Old 04-17-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whomever makes horror films so that the studio can sell them. And I'm betting James Wan.
Old 05-30-14, 05:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oooh, dis looks scawwy!

<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" src="https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/video/green-inferno-trailer-161413698.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>
Old 06-13-14, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Green Inferno (2014, Eli Roth) (S: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Sky Ferreira)

Saw the trailer for this before 22 Jump Street ^^^ the one posted above.

Looks pretty freaky. I don't mind seeing a horror film in the theater every now and then. I'll probably check it out. I saw it's getting a Fall release date. I don't anticipate this being a hit. Roth and this type of horror film has a very niche audience.
Old 06-13-14, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Green Inferno (2014, Eli Roth) (S: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Sky Ferreira)

First Zack Snyder was a "visionary" and now Eli Roth is a "horror master."

I'm starting to think that marketing teams aren't to be entirely trusted.
Old 06-14-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking forward to this! Then again I also love Eli Roth & 70's Cannibal Films.

I noticed a while back this is getting a release on Blu-Ray/DVD in Germany on 9/4/14.
Old 06-15-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1st weekend of September is when usually bad movies get released. Not good enough for the summer (which is a pretty low bar) and not good enough for the prestige of the fall.
Old 06-15-14, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Whomever makes horror films so that the studio can sell them. And I'm betting James Wan.
I would consider Wan a horror master more than Roth. Wan has proven that he can make very good horror movies and has done so with different sub genres as well.

Roth has yet to prove that he can make ONE good horror movie. His three tries at bat were all strikeouts. The Green Inferno looks like a well shot movie, but doesn't peak my interest beyond that.
Old 06-16-14, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cannibals? Well, then FUCK the rain forest!
Old 08-07-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...ulled-release/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.