Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

FROM UP ON POPPY HILL (US Release) (2013) (dir. Goro Miyazaki) (Studio Ghibli)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-05-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k-vfzhfq5JA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A group of Yokohama teens look to save their school's clubhouse from the wrecking ball in preparations for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798188/
Old 02-05-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: FROM UP ON POPPY HILL (US Release) (2013) (dir. Goro Miyazaki) (Studio Ghibli)

I have this on DVD and still haven't watched it! The English dub is premiering at the upcoming New York International Children's Film Festival, which will probably precede a U.S. theatrical run. I'd rather watch my Japanese-language DVD first. And then I can follow it with Kon Ichikawa's film about the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
Old 02-05-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FROM UP ON POPPY HILL (US Release) (2013) (dir. Goro Miyazaki) (Studio Ghibli)

Kind of wish Ghibli would go back to surrealism and myticism (there appears to be a little of this). That's what hooked me on their films. This looks kind of soap opera-ish though the animation is beautiful as always.
Old 02-05-13, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Kind of wish Ghibli would go back to surrealism and myticism (there appears to be a little of this). That's what hooked me on their films. This looks kind of soap opera-ish though the animation is beautiful as always.
They've cycled between both types many times over the years, and their non-mystical films are some of their best. Probably best not to write their movies off just because they don't have flying cats in 'em.

Besides, the film they released JUST before this was Arietty, before that was Ponyo, before that was Earthsea, and the very next will be based on the Kaguya-hime legend, so I'm not sure what in the world you're talking about.
Old 02-05-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks a little too mature for my 5 year old. She loves Totorro and Arietty. But I'll check it out.
Old 05-10-13, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was alright. It was cool to watch my first anime on the big screen
Old 05-10-13, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Looks a little too mature for my 5 year old. She loves Totorro and Arietty. But I'll check it out.
It's not really aimed at kids, but they might like it--or they might get bored. It's got a rather simple, ordinary story about saving a school clubhouse from demolition, with a subplot about family background and whether the romantic leads are actually half-brother and sister or not. That part will go over the heads of younger viewers. But as a visual depiction of Japan in 1963 as it prepares for the Olympics, with one foot in the modern world and one in the traditional era, it's quite breathtaking.

I prefer the Japanese-language version, but I thought the English dubbers did a very good job, way above average for this kind of film. Especially the lead actress, Sarah Bolger.

@GatorDeb: I'm glad you got to see this on the big screen. There's another film I saw at the NYICFF that I'd recommend if it hits theaters elsewhere in the country and that's WOLF CHILDREN (2012), about a human mother trying to raise two children who are half-wolf. And it's great for kids, too.

I've been lucky, living in New York, in that I've had lots of opportunities to see anime over the years on the big screen, starting with PHOENIX 2772 in 1982 and including AKIRA, VAMPIRE HUNTER D, WICKED CITY, and most of the Ghibli titles, the first one being LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY in 1990, which I took my daughter to when she was seven
Old 05-10-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love anime, although I don't seek it out. Loved Grave of the Fireflies and another which escapes me at the moment, one about animalism (i.e. animal spirits). This woman walked out within the first five minutes, wonder why. About 3 of us, including this very cute older Asian couple ha