Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Pretty much the only acting he had to do was be a dude from 2014, so in that regard, he did all right.
Old 06-01-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Saw it. It was alright. Like an average episode of Family Guy. It's a mix of obscene sex jokes and genuinely funny observational humor.

I wasn't crazy for Ted either.

It'd be neat to see Macfarlane to a live action movie that cuts around and is as crazy as his animated shows. He did it a little more in Ted, with stuff like the Flash Gordon bit. I thought that stuff was a little more toned down in this movie.
Old 06-01-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than I expected to. Lowbrow to be sure, but lots of laughs.
Old 06-01-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
I enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than I expected to. Lowbrow to be sure, but lots of laughs.
Ditto. I had fairly low expectations, but it's been a while since I laughed this much.
Old 06-01-14, 09:42 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was shitty, and I saw it for free.
Old 06-02-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw it yesterday and was surprised that in a relatively full theater, most of audience was 50+ adults. Maybe it was due the location, but I only saw a handful of people in the 18-30 range like myself. The couple in front of me walked out during the runaway slave shooting gallery gag. Guess they didn't know what to expect from a Seth MacFarlane flick.

I went in expecting a 2 hour live-action Family Guy-esque cutaway gag, and that's what I got. Some of the jokes fell flat, but it was a good way to waste 2 hours. Universal deserves a kick in the ass for spoiling the Christopher Lloyd cameo, since that was easily the funniest part of the movie based off of the audience reaction I saw - but I had seen it in a red-band commercial on IFC about a week ago.

Spoiler:
Loved the Django cameo at the end, but does anyone know what he said post-credits? It was hard to hear what Jamie Foxx said as he was turning away from the camera.
Old 06-02-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it was definitely soft, and I had to confer with my friend but he said:

Spoiler:
"People die at the fair", which makes sense.
Old 06-02-14, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self

It was hard to hear what .... said as he was turning away from the camera
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah it was definitely soft, and I had to confer with my friend but he said:

Spoiler:
I thought he said something like "Get me a white woman."
Old 06-02-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, you're right, not sure what I was thinking. Did he say that before he end credits or something?I think the exact line was

Spoiler:
"Get me one of those white women."
Old 06-02-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It was
Spoiler:
People die at the fair. Get me one of those white women.
Old 06-02-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice, I knew he said both.
Old 06-04-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this earlier today. I went in with pretty low expectations, based on the negative word of mouth. I actually found myself enjoying it quite a bit. I definitely feel like most of the audience at my screening weren't all that into it. The cameos especially seemed to fly right over their heads.
Old 06-06-14, 02:36 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've seen a lot of people complaining about MacFarlane's acting. I guess I don't see what was so bad about it. It's not like he was going to give an award winning performance or anything, but I thought for his first big live action role (actually has he even done any acting live action before this?) I thought he did alright.
I agree, and I went into it thinking that would be the film's biggest issue. MacFarlane did fine conveying his comedy, and I doubt he's going back into a hole anytime soon. I had a really good time with this movie. Ted had more side splitting highs, but overall I think I enjoyed this movie a bit more.
Old 10-08-14, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts

I rented the Blu-Ray today and watched it earlier this evening.

I watched the Unrated cut. Good Lord, this did not need to be 135 minutes long. That was absolute overkill. It's like Seth MacFarlane was working with Kurt Sutter's editor from Sons of Anarchy.

Anyways, it was alright. A lot of toilet humor. I did enjoy Charlize Theron in this a lot. She looked really hot in the Western attire. There was some funny scenes and I liked the Christopher Lloyd Back to the Future cameo even though the fucking trailer for this movie ruined it.
Old 10-08-14, 03:38 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the cut was 135? how long was theatrical?
Old 10-08-14, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
the cut was 135? how long was theatrical?
Theatrical Cut is 116 Even that is overkill. This should have been no longer than a 95 to 100 minute movie tops.
Old 10-08-14, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Meh I didn't feel like the film was overly long when I saw it in theaters. Haven't seen the extended cut yet.
Old 10-08-14, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh I didn't feel like the film was overly long when I saw it in theaters. Haven't seen the extended cut yet.
Yeah, it didn't feel that way to me either. The pace is fine. I'll catch the extended cut from Redbox but this isn't a movie I think I need to own unless it's dirt cheap.
Old 10-08-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This is the kind of movie that will be in $7.88 bins in no time, where it will sell like gangbusters. It's the Family Guy / BTTF3 hybrid everybody wanted but they never delivered.
Old 10-08-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
This is the kind of movie that will be in $7.88 bins in no time, where it will sell like gangbusters. It's the Family Guy / BTTF3 hybrid everybody wanted but they never delivered.
Spoiler:
I know MacFarlane didn't want this film to be full of pop culture references but I wish more had been done with Doc. I still felt like there was a missed opportunity for a joke during the train sequence and felt like it would have been awesome if the DeLorean was there with Doc inside getting pushed to go back to the future. The short bit we got with him in the barn was pretty cool to see though.
Old 10-08-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
I know MacFarlane didn't want this film to be full of pop culture references but I wish more had been done with Doc. I still felt like there was a missed opportunity for a joke during the train sequence and felt like it would have been awesome if the DeLorean was there with Doc inside getting pushed to go back to the future. The short bit we got with him in the barn was pretty cool to see though.
Spoiler:
Oh, there was a complete wasted opportunity there. I'm glad we got what we did, but I think there was ample opportunity for an extended cameo.
Old 10-08-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I ended up enjoying this a lot more then I expected. It wasn't ridiculously funny or anything, but had enough fun bits to keep me entertained. MacFarlane and Theron were pretty good together, and I ended up loving that Mustache song.
Old 11-07-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Theatrical Cut is 116 Even that is overkill. This should have been no longer than a 95 to 100 minute movie tops.
This. For once, I'm glad Redbox had a rental version, I thought the movie was way too long as it was, I'm glad I didn't see the extended cut. McFarlane is much harder to take in large doses, he's funnier when he's hiding behind a cartoon caricature. I have nothing against off-color jokes, but eventually the incessant vulgarity kind of wore me down. It's a shambling collection of gags which the movie tries to string together on the meandering plot. McFarlane should find a more experienced comedy director who actually has some experience and can give the movie a cinematic look, and his screen presence (and the fact that beautiful women fawn over him) made him kind of annoying. Intermittently funny, but Mel Brooks did the same thing much better decades ago with a stronger satirical edge. Slapstick sight gags were OK, but he's at his best when he's doing pop culture riffs.
Old 11-07-14, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I chuckled here and there but his jokes don't have impact. There is no resonance w/ them.
Old 11-07-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It doesn't necessarily bother me that they're throwaway jokes without any satirical significance or weight behind them. I can live with that. Ted had nothing to say about the human condition or the state of society. But it was funny. I laughed a lot, and very consistently throughout. In this film, I did not.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-07-14 at 11:26 PM.