Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Bowl Movie Ads Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Don't have any links yet, but thought I would start one. I remember last year and the year before had a lot of quality spots for movies we wanted to see. I also seem to remember the 2007 and 2010 games having little to nothing to peak our interest.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is playing this year? If there is already a thread on this, I couldn't find one, so sorry if it's a duplicate.
Old 01-30-13, 08:05 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Super Bowl Movie Ads Thread

The Super Bowl's notoriously pricey ad spots already cost a chunk of change well into the seven figures last year and it's set to head well northward for 30 seconds of airtime this Sunday. But that has not scared away movie studios from snapping up commercial time on Super Bowl XLVII.

Studios will air ads for upcoming blockbusters including Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man 3, J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness, Johnny Depp's The Lone Ranger, James Franco and Michelle Williams' Oz The Great And Powerful and Vin Diesel's The Fast and the Furious 6. Brad Pitt's World War Z is slated for a pre-game spot.

Disney's The Lone Ranger, with a July release, is the pic with the longest wait-time before its theatrical release.

Last year, 30 seconds on the sky high rated sports event cost $3.5 million, but that has jumped to a cool $4 million for a half-minute in the match-up between the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers.
Old 01-30-13, 08:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Surprised there isn't a planned spot for Man of Steel.
Old 01-30-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was hoping for a Pacific Rim spot as well.
Old 01-30-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

We'll probably see the same ads we've seen before. Plus do they really need to spend the extra money to advertise a new Star Trek or Iron Man? Even a casual movie-goer will already know these are coming out.
Old 01-30-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
We'll probably see the same ads we've seen before. Plus do they really need to spend the extra money to advertise a new Star Trek or Iron Man? Even a casual movie-goer will already know these are coming out.
I've wondered this myself. For the GIGANTIC movies what would happen if the marketing budget was cut like in half? I mean, like you said, pretty much anybody that has even a passing interest in movies knows that Iron Man and Star Trek will be coming out soon or that a new Hobbit movie will be coming out next year. How many people does advertising really draw to those movies?

Obviously, marketing is very important, but I always wonder just how important it is for the truly massive blockbuster movies that everybody already knows about and will most likely go see regardless.
Old 01-30-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I've wondered this myself. For the GIGANTIC movies what would happen if the marketing budget was cut like in half? I mean, like you said, pretty much anybody that has even a passing interest in movies knows that Iron Man and Star Trek will be coming out soon or that a new Hobbit movie will be coming out next year. How many people does advertising really draw to those movies?

Obviously, marketing is very important, but I always wonder just how important it is for the truly massive blockbuster movies that everybody already knows about and will most likely go see regardless.
I somewhat agree. I think the only ones where the SuperBowl spot was mentioned as having an impact on opening weekend was back in 1990 with Hunt For Red October and maybe in 2004 with Van Helsing.
Old 01-30-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

No GI Joe Ad for the second year in a row?
Old 01-31-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any advanced spots shown up yet?
Old 01-31-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't sony do a 1 minute 3 movie ad in 97? I think it was MIB, Fifth Element and something else. Other studios should do this.