DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny (2016) S: Yeoh, Yen (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/608237-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sword-destiny-2016-s-yeoh-yen.html)

DJariya 01-25-13 01:29 PM

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny (2016) S: Yeoh, Yen

EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company has set a May production start in Asia on a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. There is a script by John Fusco, and TWC is in talks with veteran Chinese director Ronny Yu. Harvey Weinstein is producing.

The new film is derived from the same source material as the Ang Lee-directed 2000 film that won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and three other Academy Awards. Lee isn’t involved in this one, which is based on Silver Vase, Iron Knight. That is the fifth book in the Crane-Iron Pentalogy by Wang Du Lu. Crouching Tiger was the fourth book in the series. Fusco, whose credits include Spirit, Hidalgo and The Forbidden Kingdom, is an avid follower of Wu Sia, the centuries-old genre of Chinese fiction that this series is part of.

“This was an opportunity to explore a lifelong passion I’ve had for Wu Sia, and if there wasn’t continuing source material, I would never have gotten involved,” Fusco told me.

The sequel continues to revolve around Yu Shu Lien, the character played in the original by Michelle Yeoh. It’s not immediately clear yet which actors will reprise, but some likely will. “This introduces a new generation of star-crossed lovers, and a new series of antagonists in a battle of good and evil. It has a Knights Errant quality. There is an alternate universe in the books, a martial forest that exists alongside the real world, full of wandering sword fighters, medicine men, defrocked priests, poets, sorcerers and Shaolin renegades. It’s so vast and rich, and I found characters from the second and third books in the series to create a most interesting stew while being as true to the source material as I could be.”

TWC and Sony had battled several years ago over the rights to the books left behind by the author, who died in 1977. Reports quoted his son, Hong Wang, saying his family made very little money from the original film, and that they went out to make another deal. TWC feels it walked away with those theatrical rights and is going ahead with its film, which has a budget north of $20 million.

Casting will get underway after the director signs, and for his part Fusco expects a return from Wo Ping Yuen, the legendary fight choreographer responsible from the high wire action work in the original. They worked together on Forbidden Kingdom (pictured). Fusco separately scripted Marco Polo for Electus/Weinstein Co and Starz, as well as the feature Highwaymen, which has John Lee Hancock attached to direct a retelling of the Bonnie & Clyde story from the vantage point of Texas Ranger Frank Hamer, who was called out of retirement to head the manhunt. Liam Neeson is eyeing that role. He also adapted the rise of Elvis Presley pic Last Train To Memphis for Fox 2000 and Steve Bing, based on the Peter Guralnick novel. Fusco’s repped by UTA.

So this is all we know:

Filming is scheduled in May

The Weinstein Company is releasing with Harvey producing.

Budget is $20M

Ronny Yu is in negotiations to direct

John Fusco wrote the script

No stars have been cast, although some may return from the original movie.

If this is indeed a sequel about Yu Shu Lien. They should bring back Michelle Yeoh. I can't think of any older Asian actress who has the skill set as her who could play the character. Only problem is Michelle is her 50's now.

RocShemp 01-25-13 01:41 PM

Re: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Sequel to begin production in May (2014?)

I'm in the minority but I was sorely disappointed by CTHD. Even if Ronny Yu were attatched, I don't know if I could muster up any excitement for a sequel (or prequel given CTHD was several books into the series).

RichC2 01-25-13 01:53 PM

Considering the sequel/prequel would probably be nothing like the original I don't see why you would hold CTHD against it.

Odd sounding I know, but CTHD was an Ang Lee wuxia flick. Content be damned it was going to turn out how it turned out.

Shazam 01-25-13 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11554118)
I'm in the minority but I was sorely disappointed by CTHD. Even if Ronny Yu were attatched, I don't know if I could muster up any excitement for a sequel (or prequel given CTHD was several books into the series).

Give me back my comb!

Why So Blu? 01-25-13 02:12 PM

I think Ronny Yu could do a great job with the material. My favorite film of his is "Bride with the White Hair."

DJariya 01-25-13 02:17 PM

I hope Yu gets the job. He's more than capable of handling the material. As far as his most recent material in the same genre, I really liked his work on Jet Li's Fearless.

The story also says they are expected to bring back Yuen Wo Ping as the martial arts fight chereographer. He IMO would seal the deal and make this a credible martial arts flick.

DaveyJoe 01-25-13 02:56 PM

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought Ronny Yu was the guy who did Jason Vs. Freddy? I actually liked that flick but I think he'd be the wrong director for a movie like this. I'm surprised to see the positive reaction here, so I must be thinking of the wrong guy.

DJariya 01-25-13 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 11554226)
Okay, now I'm confused. I thought Ronny Yu was the guy who did Jason Vs. Freddy? I actually liked that flick but I think he'd be the wrong director for a movie like this. I'm surprised to see the positive reaction here, so I must be thinking of the wrong guy.

As I just stated above you, he produced and directed Jet Li's Fearless from 2006, which was a period martial arts flick like this will be.

It made about $24M in the U.S. and about $68M worldwide.

DaveyJoe 01-25-13 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11554243)
As I just stated above you, he produced and directed Jet Li's Fearless from 2006, which was a period martial arts flick like this will be.

It made about $24M in the U.S. and about $68M worldwide.

So I am thinking of the right guy? I watched the opening of Fearless and enjoyed it, I need to go back and finish it some day. Again, I did enjoy Freddy Vs. Jason for what it was, but there were some strange missteps, like the bizarre inclusion of heavy metal music. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a favorite of mine, so I think I'd be skeptical of any director stepping in for Ang Lee. However, if they get Yuen Wo Ping I'll keep an open mind.

starseed1981 01-25-13 03:19 PM

The original is one of my favorite movies ever....so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

Ash Ketchum 01-25-13 03:25 PM

I wasn't crazy about CTHD--chiefly because of Ang Lee's directing style. Ronny Yu would be an improvement when it comes to this type of material.

hanshotfirst1138 01-25-13 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 11554226)

He also has a resume in Hong Kong prior and after, including some interesting stuff. At least they're looking at a proper Chinese director. Hopefully they'll get Yuen back for the action.

RocShemp 01-29-13 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11554138)
Considering the sequel/prequel would probably be nothing like the original I don't see why you would hold CTHD against it.

Odd sounding I know, but CTHD was an Ang Lee wuxia flick. Content be damned it was going to turn out how it turned out.

I'd hold it against this production because I'm sure the mindset going into this is making another CTHD. No sense wasting Yu's talents in that.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 11554265)
I wasn't crazy about CTHD--chiefly because of Ang Lee's directing style. Ronny Yu would be an improvement when it comes to this type of material.

Ronny Yu would definitely be an improvement over Ang Lee if the producers allow it to be a Ronny Yu flick through and through.

Solid Snake 01-29-13 12:19 PM

I saw CTHD when I was like 14. I loved it. Was very different from the stuff I grew up with but I've loved it ever sense. It was an Ang Lee Wuxia flick and I'm perfectly fine w/ that.

RocShemp 01-29-13 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11554167)
I think Ronny Yu could do a great job with the material. My favorite film of his is "Bride with the White Hair."

It's a shame that movie hasn't made it's way to BD. :(

hanshotfirst1138 01-29-13 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11558658)
It's a shame that movie hasn't made it's way to BD. :(

Is there even an anamorphic DVD version?

pazu86 01-29-13 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11558143)
I saw CTHD when I was like 14. I loved it. Was very different from the stuff I grew up with but I've loved it ever sense. It was an Ang Lee Wuxia flick and I'm perfectly fine w/ that.

I was 13 when it came out and I wanted to watch it mainly for the fight scenes, which were impressive. A few years later I watched the movie again and the story and the characters really grew on me. It's a beautifully made movie, maybe a bit sappy for some peoples taste but I honestly find the movie pretty touching:wub: One of Chow Yun Fat's best roles. It also has a really great soundtrack

Ranger 01-29-13 11:02 PM

I liked most of the movie but the ending was disappointing. Feminism, free woman, free spirit, whatevs.

I'd expect a sequel to focus on the other woman, not Yeoh. I'd like them to throw in a bit more supernatural effects like demons, Thor lightning, or something, but that might be hard to do with a small budget.

RocShemp 01-30-13 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 (Post 11558718)
Is there even an anamorphic DVD version?

I don't think so. :(

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 11558825)
I liked most of the movie but the ending was disappointing. Feminism, free woman, free spirit, whatevs.

The ending fell flat for me because it felt rushed and I honestly didn't care about the brat portrayed by Zhang Ziyi. I was more invested in Jade Fox despite the fact that Cheng Pei Pei had at most ten minutes worth of screentime.

RocShemp 01-30-13 08:34 AM

According to wikipedia, this new flick will be an adaptation of Iron Knight, Silver Vase (fifth book in the series).

Plot summary of the book, per Michelle Yeoh's website:

Spoiler:
Part V: "Iron Knight, Silver Vase" (19 chapters)

On a snowy winter night, Yu Jiao Long gave birth to a boy in an inn on the road to Xinjiang. Unexpectedly (but on purpose), her son was taken by an officer's wife, who left a baby girl and a silver vase in his place.

After failing to find her son, Yu Jiao Long adopted the girl and named her Chun Xue Ping (Snow Vase). They lived together in the desert.

19 years later, Yu Jiao Long left the desert to look once more for her son but got very ill along the way. A young man named Han Tie Fang (Iron Aroma) elected to take care of her.

As it so happened, Han Tie Fang was looking for his mother, an officer's wife who got kidnaped by bandits when he was a baby. Yu Jiao Long realized the young man was actually her son. Knowing herself she wouldn't live long because of the illness, she wanted to take him to the desert to be with Xue Ping. However, she was too ill to finish the trip and died on the way during a storm night (and without disclosing her relationship with him to her son).

Han Tie Fang went to see Chun Xue Ping but was driven away by the young woman and her friends. He later found out his mother was actually Yu Jiao Long, the 'friend' he buried in the desert. He also met Lo Xiao Hu, who believed he had a daughter and got captured for protecting her. Han Tie Fang managed to get Lo Xiao Hu free but Lo was already badly injured and died on an icy mountain soon afterwards.

Chun Xue Ping and Han Tie Fang had more adventures while looking for the woman who Han Tie Fang thought was his mother but turned out to be Chun Xue Ping's biological mother. Xue Ping and Tie Fang finally became a happy couple - the only happy couple of this pentalogy.

* Yu Jiao Long died at the age of 38. The book also mentioned that Yu Shu Lien died of illness back in her hometown five years earlier - when she was at her 38. Li Mu Bai - who did not die in the CTHD book the way he did in the film - went to pay his respect to Shu Lien at her graveside.

DJariya 01-30-13 12:10 PM

^^ According to that website, Michelle Yeoh is reportedly in talks to return.

ScorseseLovesU 01-30-13 12:15 PM

Love the first. Saw it after I graduated high school and was very moved by it. I am not opposed to a sequel at all. If they fuck it up and produce a pile of shit, it won't tarnish the first one for me.

RocShemp 01-30-13 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11559444)
^^ According to that website, Michelle Yeoh is reportedly in talks to return.

That'll require some major liberties with the source material since her character doesn't really fit into the narrative of the book at all
Spoiler:
except to say she died and that Li Mu Bai (who died in the film adaptation of CTHD, unlike the book) visited her grave.

Ash Ketchum 01-30-13 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11559475)
That'll require some major liberties with the source material since her character doesn't really fit into the narrative of the book at all
Spoiler:
except to say she died and that Li Mu Bai (who died in the film adaptation of CTHD, unlike the book) visited her grave.

So, maybe she'll play a different character. By the time this comes out it will have been 14 or 15 years since CTHD and no one, except a handful of people in this thread, will care whether she plays the same character or not.

DJariya 01-30-13 12:33 PM

But, according to John Fusco's script in my OP it says the sequel will revolve around Yu Shu Lien.

It's probably a loose adaptation from the source material.