Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny (2016) S: Yeoh, Yen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny (2016) S: Yeoh, Yen

Old 02-29-16, 04:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny (2016) S: Yeoh, Yen

The general reactions to the film here have made passing on this ill-conceived sequel rather easy. (Ill-conceived in terms of its cast, the use of green screen, etc.)

I'm going to wait for Ip Man 3 instead.
Old 03-01-16, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Like who sounded weird aside from the minor supporting actors?

Michelle Yeoh speaks english fluently and has spoken english in many films and recently in Strike Back on Cinemax. When she did the original movie, she said she didn't speak a word of Mandarin and had to have script phonetically spelled for her.

Jason Scott Lee is from Los Angeles

Harry Shum Jr was on Glee for 5 seasons

Donnie Yen normally doesn't speak english in his movies, but he grew up in Boston and speaks it fluently. Didn't sound weird to me.

Roger Yuan is from Illinois and has been on American TV/movies for 25+ years.

I understand in the grand context of this type of movie it's weird to see a Chinese period martial arts drama with english dialogue.
This. I was thinking, "Uhhhhh... a lot of these people speak the language pretty well just as a generality."

JuJu Chan, Silver Dart Shi, has a great career too. Lovely voice in English.

Finished it Sunday. Has promising moments but the story is weak and just isn't engaging. Just mildly interesting. Sucks to see Yeoh being replaced by a stunt performer in some bits. Age, man. Sad to see some actors who are well known for their abilities get replaced in some scenes by other performers. Either way. She did well in her role it's just a weak role. Loved her in Sunshine.

WTF is up w/ the color in this thing? I'm tired of seeing these Chinese/HK films play w/ the color. Just makes it look dull. The first one had BEAUTIFUL colors surrounding everything in there.
Old 03-01-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott View Post
I'm going to wait for Ip Man 3 instead.
It's still in theatres.
Old 03-01-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
JuJu Chan, Silver Dart Shi, has a great career too. Lovely voice in English.
Like a lot of people in the Hong Kong industry, she's fairly communicative (as Jujy Chan) with fans/"friends" via Facebook (and maybe other social media sites, not sure). The only reason I even bothered re-opening my long-dead account there (aside from getting Criterion coupons and the like) was to get some info from a couple of HK industry folks (not her, though), and it kept growing from there. Seems to be less the kind of one-way street you usually see with Hollywood folks on social media.

Chan's also a competitive martial artist, so she brings something to the table that's lacking in a lot of HK performers of recent vintage. Perhaps the high profile of this CROUCHING 2 -- despite it's generally poor quality -- will allow her to get involved in better productions than the DTV stuff she's been in up to now.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-01-16 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 03:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata View Post
It was a poor decision to have everyone speak Mandarin in the first. Yun-Fat and Yeoh's accents were abysmal. Only Ziyi sounded right because obviously it was her native tongue.
The fact that you refer to them as "Yun-Fat" and "Ziyi" leads me to believe that you don't actually have any idea whether or not the accents were abysmal.
Old 03-01-16, 03:56 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Like a lot of people in the Hong Kong industry, she's fairly communicative (as Jujy Chan) with fans/"friends" via Facebook
are you emphasizing that 'Jujy' spelling? is JuJu not correct? as google and her own facebook and twitter accounts tell me otherwise.
Old 03-01-16, 06:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HN View Post
are you emphasizing that 'Jujy' spelling? is JuJu not correct? as google and her own facebook and twitter accounts tell me otherwise.
Definitely emphasizing. Juju is correct, and she has an "official artist page" under that name, but like so many Facebook users (except me, I suppose), she has two accounts (maybe more?). Not sure how I came across it, though, as Jujy's not something anyone would know to search. Maybe via another HK film person? Or perhaps I spotted the name in someone else's shared photo or something like that, or maybe she did that thing where you can invite existing followers to friend you or like your other page or whatever. If I sound like a Facebook simpleton, it's true, as I have virtually no personal use for it and just use it to connect with as many of the people who make my favorite cinema as possible (partly for research), but hopefully that helps.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-01-16 at 06:21 PM.