Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Cameron owns the film rights outright, so he wouldn't need to get approval from Disney to move forward. Any other studio/network interested can fund it themselves.
Old 03-03-19, 06:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So it's just a matter of which studio/network would want to take a financial hit.

Thinking about it now, this would have made for a better series, maybe something limited.
Old 03-03-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

If it's making money overseas, then there is a way for an American studio to not have to take a financial hit on a sequel. Cameron could simply get the financing from foreign investors and all any American studio has to do is distribute it. I think that's what was done with 5th Element back in 1997, where the movie was only a moderate success in the U.S. but was pure profit for the studio that released it stateside as they only had about a $12 million investment.
Old 03-04-19, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Banal dialogue, bad writing, atrocious acting, miscasting across the board, where do I begin? The two young leads in this movie give the worst line readings I’ve heard since Hayden Christiansen in that Star Wars movie (ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS?). It all took me out of the movie rather quickly. And the shame of it is that the cast includes an actress who would have made a much better Alita than the one who got the part. I’m talking about Lana Condor, who has a small part as Koyomi, one of Hugo’s entourage. Why didn’t SHE play Alita? Her line readings would have been much better and her face more expressive (although the computer might have erased it).

The film is set in the 26th century, yet many of the main characters and all of the extras look, behave, dress and talk like 21st century American teenage hipsters. Really?! This is what we’ve got 500 years later? Hardly seems worth it. I guess the filmmakers figured the narcissists in their target audience wouldn’t come unless the movie was filled with people that looked like them and were just as shallow.

I found the character in the anime way more expressive:

There was nothing playing in my area that piqued my interest or that I hadn't already seen, so I almost went to this earlier tonight, glad I saw this post. I just needed my opinion of what I thought the movie would be like to be reinforced.
Old 03-04-19, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
There was nothing playing in my area that piqued my interest or that I hadn't already seen, so I almost went to this earlier tonight, glad I saw this post. I just needed my opinion of what I thought the movie would be like to be reinforced.
Should've went and seen it. It's one of the most accurate Hollywood adaptations of a Japanese manga series to date.

And it did pretty good in the world wide box office so it's very likely to get a sequel, and if it does I'll definitely be watching it in theaters.
Old 03-06-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That was Ed Norton?! They sure made him up to look like James Cameron.
I thought it might've been Cameron at first (before the reveal), I was like, why did they do that, lol. Of course I asked myself the same question when the film ended... that definitely brought the film down a notch. I knew nothing about the source material, but really liked this more than I thought I would. A few things took it from great to just good, but still very enjoyable. Now I just hope we can get another one....
Old 07-13-19, 09:06 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just watched this and was very pleasantly surprised !

Heaps of fun, good action and fights.

Alita was cool, look real and anime at the same time

over the top weapons rocked.
Old 07-13-19, 09:08 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think a sequel is less than 50/50. It has done ok worldwide but hasn't knocked it outta the park
Old 07-13-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The 10-minute cooking school with RR is terrific. I did not know chocolate was that easy to make!
Old 07-24-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

For the most part really enjoyed this movie. The story was engaging and did like Rosa Salazar in the lead though the eyes on Alita was still rather distracting but kind of got used it by the end. That said, while the visual effects were good, the actual designs are indistinguishable from any other dystopian future film seen before. But in the end, probably would watch again, just a shame it's left on a cliffhanger for a sequel that will likely never happen. 3.75/5
Old 07-28-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to. It took a few minutes for me to buy a CG main character but after about 20 minutes I was more used to it.

I thought it had some great special effects and fun action sequences. Overall, I’d rank this as one of the best, if not the best film from Robert Rodriguez. Of course that’s not saying a ton since I only really like this and From Dusk Til Dawn...

That was a strange cameo by Edward Norton for sure. And I was expecting more from Jai Courtney’s cameo as well. I was surprised that we never saw him again after his brief appearance.
Old 07-29-19, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a shame the story wasn't wrapped up in this movie.
Nothing worse than a non-conclusion to a film.
Particularly one that is not likely to have a sequel.
Old 08-05-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I watched this last night. It was well done and entertaining. I do think the plot seemed a bit rushed, like they crammed a season's worth of TV plot into a single movie. All the scenes individually were well done, especially the action, but Alita went from amnesiac just learning motorball to hunter to finding a new body to motorball contestant to potential savior in what seemed like a matter of days. Likewise the love interest went from nearly dead to cyborg to, oops, actually dead within the span of 10 minutes.

I also felt the ending was abrupt, and I would've preferred the movie to have been a little longer to get to a confrontation with Nova. It also seemed a bit odd for Alita to shirk all the rules, and then at the end apparently decide on following the rules for how to get to Zalem by spending months rising through the ranks in Motorball.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That was a strange cameo by Edward Norton for sure. And I was expecting more from Jai Courtney’s cameo as well. I was surprised that we never saw him again after his brief appearance.
I feel like both of these cameos were setups for the sequel, where they would've gotten more screen time. Jai Courtney’s character was a contestant in the Top League of Motorball, which Alita had just reached at the end of the movie. Likewise's Edward Norton's reveal as Nova was a lot like Johnny Depp's reveal as Grindlewald at the end of the first Fantastic Beasts movie. The actors doesn't have to commit a lot of time to the project unless it's successful enough to merit sequels, while at the same time it places those actors into the 'universe' of the potential franchise in the first film.
Old 08-06-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I watched this last night. It was well done and entertaining. I do think the plot seemed a bit rushed, like they crammed a season's worth of TV plot into a single movie. All the scenes individually were well done, especially the action, but Alita went from amnesiac just learning motorball to hunter to finding a new body to motorball contestant to potential savior in what seemed like a matter of days. Likewise the love interest went from nearly dead to cyborg to, oops, actually dead within the span of 10 minutes.
That's pretty much what happened. The manga is collected into 9 books, and I believe they covered the first 3 books in this film.
Old 08-06-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
That's pretty much what happened. The manga is collected into 9 books, and I believe they covered the first 3 books in this film.
I figured that's what might have happened, but I haven't read the manga or seen the anime, so I didn't want to make assumptions.

If they put 3 books in one film, with 9 books overall, it seems they were likely aiming for a film trilogy .
Old 08-06-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I figured that's what might have happened, but I haven't seen the anime
The anime covered only what the movie did, except it was only about 40 minutes in length.
Old 08-06-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
The anime covered only what the movie did, except it was only about 40 minutes in length.
I don't think the original OVA covered motorball, though. I haven't seen the movie yet (though I own it) and they probably combined the motorball story with the hugo story, but IIRC the anime only did Makaku and Hugo (so the first two manga volumes).
Old 08-06-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think the original OVA covered motorball, though. I haven't seen the movie yet (though I own it) and they probably combined the motorball story with the hugo story, but IIRC the anime only did Makaku and Hugo (so the first two manga volumes).
Yes there was stuff obviously not there due to the lesser runtime, but the OVA ended in the exact same spot on the dump heap as this movie did.
Old 08-06-19, 04:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
2 books actually. And depending on how you follow the story, it ends in 9 volumes or continues for 25+ more volumes after midway into the 9th volume.

Old 08-06-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by faust69

2 books actually. And depending on how you follow the story, it ends in 9 volumes or continues for 25+ more volumes after midway into the 9th volume.

Well, the included some motorball from book 3, so I doubt we were going to get another arc on that.

And no way they were getting into Last Order unless this really just did gangbusters. It really is a complete tonal shift.
Old 08-06-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Koby
Yes there was stuff obviously not there due to the lesser runtime, but the OVA ended in the exact same spot on the dump heap as this movie did.
Do you mean metaphorically? Because the movie ends with Alita on some platform in the Motorball arena, pointing her sword at Zalem/Nova.

Looking at the synopsis for the first 2 volumes of the manga and the 2 episodes of the OVA, the movie does follow most of those plot points, but does mix in some Motorball that doesn't look was part of either. Volume 3 of the manga starts the Motorball storyline, but the brief summary I found doesn't really indicate if they used any actual plot points from Vol 3, or created their own. Does the manga have a qualifying race where all the competitors are literally trying to kill Alita to collect a reward/bribe?
Old 08-06-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 08-08-19, 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, the included some motorball from book 3, so I doubt we were going to get another arc on that.

And no way they were getting into Last Order unless this really just did gangbusters. It really is a complete tonal shift.
They included the bare-bones, but none of the actual storyline from 3 and 4 (the main story of Jashugan and Motorball) really make it in. And, honestly, I doubt they'll adapt books 3 and 4 if they do a sequel. I figure they'd jump to book 5 which properly introduces Nova and is, imho, more intense than the first 4 books.

Last Order does go on way too long and too much into DBZ-style territory. Still, it's pretty insane and I just love, love, love how Kishiro brings in the most bad-ass Vampire character I've read in quite a while. I would watch a whole movie just about Caerula Sanguis and her Stellar Nursery Society!
Old 08-08-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by faust69
They included the bare-bones, but none of the actual storyline from 3 and 4 (the main story of Jashugan and Motorball) really make it in. And, honestly, I doubt they'll adapt books 3 and 4 if they do a sequel. I figure they'd jump to book 5 which properly introduces Nova and is, imho, more intense than the first 4 books.

Last Order does go on way too long and too much into DBZ-style territory. Still, it's pretty insane and I just love, love, love how Kishiro brings in the most bad-ass Vampire character I've read in quite a while. I would watch a whole movie just about Caerula Sanguis and her Stellar Nursery Society!
There is a whole volume that's backstory on the character you mention which is just crazy, like they just took a huge break from the story and went into the past for months if not a year of real time.

I agree that they'll probably skip Motorball even though it's a pretty important arc in Rally/Alita's development. I can understand why they wanted to jam it into this movie, though, as far as visuals go. When they first announced that they were including motorball I was honestly surprised.

I just hope this doesn't become like Berserk where we see the same part of the story done in other media and we never get past it.
Old 06-02-20, 07:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

The movie was ok. You know there was more (I’m sure the manga or anime series has more. This is too much for 1 movie. Even the brief glimpses of the war was more interesting than the present they were in) and a second won’t be made bc it did bad here, but good WW, so you never know, but haven’t heard boo. This really wasn’t about anything except a girl/cybernetic organism discovering who she was. And there are so much better coming of age. I didn’t even have much emotion for anything except some of the fight scenes. Not gonna lie, some were intense. In the end she just became a hunter champion or whatever in roller derby. So what? And small nod to Nova up there who was Ed Norton if you noticed, but uncredited in movie for whatever reason. What is reason they go uncredited? This couldn’t have been something Norton would want to be in and thus took minimum. I thought the last battle was gonna be against Nova. Instead the biggest scene was a roller derby tourney where you knew who would win. Kinda dull, but looked pretty in 3D.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.