Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

I just got back from this and it was fucking awesome! I'm definitely going to see it again.

There should be a review thread for this because I don't want to use spoiler tags. Come on now.
Old 02-15-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I would make a review thread, but I don't know how to populate the poll with stars.
Old 02-15-19, 06:09 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I just got back from this and it was fucking awesome! I'm definitely going to see it again.

There should be a review thread for this because I don't want to use spoiler tags. Come on now.
So make one?
Old 02-15-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That's what I had read, which is what I thought would be distracting. Almost like you are on a theme park ride.
I was actually surprised how much movement is involved in these seats. The movement's not slight at all, but it's also not really distracting if you've willingly paid for the experience, and depending on your tolerance, of course. We tried them for the first time as a lark at the last AVENGERS movie and were rather impressed. Plenty of hydraulic movement up, down, rocking and tilting forward and back, vibration and thudding during the impacts, etc. Obviously, the effects are exceptionally well-matched with the events on screen. Definitely worth it at least once, but we wouldn't make a habit out of it.

Obviously it's designed with a certain kind of movie in mind. ALITA certainly seems like the type (although YouTube has reaction videos for various types of films). We did sit in the regular row behind the D-box seats for a different movie later on and were surprised at how much of the vibration and thudding effects (without the rocking) were distributed to the surrounding seats.

As I said, though, it's a once-in-a-while thing and entirely an option, or just for the hell of it. And yes, the "theme park" experience is very much intentional. I can see why it's popular in many overseas countries where cinema-going isn't as deeply entrenched as it is in the west.

The main exhibition chain here obviously realized that the limited D-box seating sections in their regular cinemas were attracting significant usage on crowded nights and in blockbuster movies for them to justify the creation of a "4DX" cinema here in Toronto where the D-Box + 3D experience is "enhanced" with actual wind and air blasts, mist, rain, thunder and lightning, snow (!), scents (smell-o-vision!) and even back and leg "ticklers" presumably for creepy films (William Castle would be happy). Haven't tried this yet, but we're very much planning on it at least once.

https://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/4DX

4DX is a Korean technology, which explains the presence of Lee Byung-hun in their promo:

<iframe width="450" height="265" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F8Xj9xe2DiM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the moment, ALITA is the film being shown here, and I'm sure its makers -- especially Cameron -- had this kind of experience in mind, at least in part, while they were making it.

Mind you, the Zucker Brothers predicted this whole thing 40 years ago :

<iframe width="450" height="265" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rjm_zmBoxjw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Brian T; 02-15-19 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

$8.7m yesterday (which includes $2.4m from Wednesday previews), that's not bad actually.

Happy Death Day 2U is having traction problems though, but that had a $9m budget.
Old 02-15-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I kind of want to see this but probably won’t be able to until tomorrow as there aren’t any shows after I finish work tonight.
Old 02-16-19, 01:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this tonight and thought it was fantastic. I liked that the futuristic setting felt like a living place and wasn't just another bland dystopian hellhole like Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner, etc. The Alita character and effects worked for me. There were a few minor issues I had, but nothing major. I hope this does well enough for a followup.
Old 02-16-19, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I hope it does well just so it brings back interest in REAL 3D (and this was actually shot in 3D, none of that conversion nonsense). Almost tempted to go to a theater to see it, but the ones here really do suck. Ideally I'd like to see it with both 3D and D-Box, but only one theater has showings with both and it's one I've sworn off forever (common-width screen, no masking, and consistently dark picture.) Another theater has one screen with D-Box in 2D and another in 3D with no D-Box!
Old 02-16-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it pretty well overall. I went in not knowing much of anything about the character and am not big into anime in general but this worked for me. I liked the character of Alita and the doctor. Agreed that Iron City felt like a living place as opposed to a lot of films with dystopian settings. My only minor complaint is I felt like the ending was kind of drug out. It probably could have been cut by ten to fifteen minutes if you ask me. Overall though I liked it and might grab the Blu-ray when it’s out.
Old 02-17-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Saw it last night and loved it. Alita was awesome, both the actress and the effects. I love that once she realized what a badass she was, she totally leaned into it.

The world was very interesting - I took the prevalence of body modifications to indicate it was just something relatively easy to do. The nurse had that arm full of medical instruments - that it made sense to get these modifications to help with your job or be a better fighter or whatever. Sort of like how pretty much everyone has a smartphone now.

The Motoball stuff was awesome too. I hope it gets a sequel!
Old 02-17-19, 10:11 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it. I saw it in Regal 4DX and the motorball scene was pretty cool. The fight scenes were incredible and Alita had so much character. I love the fact that she’s fearless and wants to fight. I hope this movie does well internationally so there will be a sequel.

Last edited by sye46; 02-17-19 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I'll be the wet blanket then. I wanted to like it, but I thought the love story portion of the movie was really bad. The first half of the movie survives it, but then in the second half it gets so eye rolling, cringeworthy stupid that it overwhelmed pretty much anything good that the rest of the movie had going on.
Old 02-17-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do agree the love angle was a little weird but it didn’t bother me too bad. One thing regarding that aspect I was unclear on.

Spoiler:
Was Hugo really a human all along or was he actually some kind of cyborg that was made to look human?
Old 02-17-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I do agree the love angle was a little weird but it didn’t bother me too bad. One thing regarding that aspect I was unclear on.

Spoiler:
Was Hugo really a human all along or was he actually some kind of cyborg that was made to look human?
I have not finished the manga but I took it as
Spoiler:
he was human and was critically wounded until Jennifer Connolley's character mickey moused him with Alita's core/heart to keep him alive until Ido replaced his body with a robot one.
Old 02-17-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

D-Box also has a movement feature and it’s not just a rumble. I watched Rogue One in a D-Box theatre and it featured jerking motions during the space battles.
Old 02-17-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
D-Box also has a movement feature and it’s not just a rumble. I watched Rogue One in a D-Box theatre and it featured jerking motions during the space battles.
Old 02-17-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Every movie has a happy ending.
Old 02-17-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

The love story angle was fine IMO. There have been other movies in the past where an artificial intelligence has sought to become more human and even developed some type of feelings. Alita's romance with Hugo felt very organic and didn't feel corny or weird.
Old 02-17-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
The love story angle was fine IMO. There have been other movies in the past where an artificial intelligence has sought to become more human and even developed some type of feelings. Alita's romance with Hugo felt very organic and didn't feel corny or weird.
Agreed. They're also teenagers, if anything, there's that hokey romance angle because they're dumbass teenagers.
Old 02-17-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just always find relationships that are human and non-human kinda weird. It didn’t bother me too badly since Alita almost seemed like a real girl in a lot of ways but it is awkward. Then again this being so sci-fi inspired it works.
Old 02-17-19, 06:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I'll be the wet blanket then. I wanted to like it, but I thought the love story portion of the movie was really bad. The first half of the movie survives it, but then in the second half it gets so eye rolling, cringeworthy stupid that it overwhelmed pretty much anything good that the rest of the movie had going on.
This pretty much sums it up for me. Pretty much didnt think about it once I left. I actually thought LEGO Movie 2 was a bit more memorable. But Alita did have better action.
Old 02-17-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

So Alita: Battle Angel [2019] was actually pretty good. Only a few small differences between the anime OVA and the movie and imo the added scenes were definitely for the better as the OVA felt very choppy and rushed, while the movie worked. There was a little bit in the 2nd quarter of the film that kind of dragged for a moment, but it picked back up and overall we liked it.

If you thought the "love story" was bad in the live-action, you should have seen it in the original anime OVA. The movie at least tried to build it somewhat.
Old 02-17-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I saw this today with my 9 year old twin daughters we all really liked it.

As a wrestling fan, the ending felt like Alita pointing to the WrestleMania sign though, lol.
Old 02-17-19, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Originally Posted by Mike86
I just always find relationships that are human and non-human kinda weird. It didn’t bother me too badly since Alita almost seemed like a real girl in a lot of ways but it is awkward. Then again this being so sci-fi inspired it works.
Uh, I haven't seen the movie, but
Spoiler:
Alita isn't artificial intelligence. Is that what they explain in the movie? Or do they leave it ambiguous?
Old 02-17-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Uh, I haven't seen the movie, but
Spoiler:
Alita isn't artificial intelligence. Is that what they explain in the movie? Or do they leave it ambiguous?
They specifically mentioned during the movie she has a human brain. It's not a spoiler. The very synopsis of the manga, anime, and movie literally mentions she is a "cyborg" which infers she was once human.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.