Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Old 02-05-19, 02:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'll agree with this. I didn't see any of those three in the theater and I'm a big anime fan, and an especially big Dragon Ball fan. In fact, the only one I actually watched was Speed Racer, and that was actually an incredible adaptation of anime (though not the Speed Racer anime) onto a big screen, and it flopped huge.

I'll still see Alita eventually, maybe through A-list or maybe through a rental, but it wasn't something I was waiting for, and I've been especially critical of the eyes from the start. Not many people who were fans of the original property wanted huge eyes, as if that was the main draw of the manga. It does seem like a lot of the complaints reviews have of the plot are because they stayed too close to the manga, though.
The eyes are not the problem at all. None of my friends had a problem with that. They liked the movie a lot while I think it was entertaining but tried to put too much in. The romance, imho, should have been decreased while the action around Motorball should have been give more focus.
Old 02-06-19, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have one question. Dolby Cinema 3D or IMAX Laser 3D?
Old 02-06-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, Speed Racer is great.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Anime and manga do not have the cultural cachet, mass appeal, or general interest that nerds think they do.

As someone that works in and around geek/nerd culture, I don't know anyone that would assume anime and manga has mass appeal and interest. That's a weird statement to me.

That said, I always felt like people like anime... because it's animated, subtitled, and when its in its original and Japanese form. Not to see it adapted to something like live action by Hollywood.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-06-19 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
You mean that Hollywood thinks they do.
I'm a big manga and anime fan and I'm not asking for, nor wanting, a live-action American adaptation of Akira. I always thought most fans were like me, in that they were perfectly satisfied with the animated films. If a live-action adaptation were to be made, I'd expect it to be Japanese produced, but that's not realistic for properties like Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Akira that are epic in scale.

I also think there's a problem with the execution of these Hollywood adaptions.
I'm a big anime/manga nerd and I wasn't interested in seeing Speed Racer, Dragon Ball Evolution, or Ghost in The Shell.
In the case of GITS, the Hollywood version was very comic book-y. The Rodriguez/Snyder literal approach is there in certain scenes and it ironically makes it look too over-the-top.
The 1997 Mamoru Oshii anime adaptation feels much more realistic and grounded. That version traded in the manga's big eyed look for less stylized faces, and made the setting look like then-modern day Hong Kong. The Scarlett Johansson one looks like it takes place in a video game world that's digitally tinted blue.
The problem, in my mind, was that these properties were being adapted by people in Hollywood who had no idea what the property actually was. They just wanted it because it was something that was popular at the time. And this isn't limited to just anime/manga adaptations; if you look at older comicbook movies or videogame-based movies, you can tell they were made by people who had no idea what they were working on. Another problem is, some of this stuff just doesn't translate well to live-action. It works in anime/manga form because you can get away with weirdness in drawings and animation. A lot of what works in anime won't work in live-action without looking odd.
Old 02-06-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That said, I always felt like people like anime... because it's animated, subtitled, and when its in its original and Japanese form. Not to see it adapted to something like live action by Hollywood.
Pretty much.

Originally Posted by big e
The problem, in my mind, was that these properties were being adapted by people in Hollywood who had no idea what the property actually was. They just wanted it because it was something that was popular at the time. And this isn't limited to just anime/manga adaptations; if you look at older comicbook movies or videogame-based movies, you can tell they were made by people who had no idea what they were working on.
That's the impression I had when watching the '90s Stallone Judge Dredd film.

Double Dragon was pretty bad.

First-time director Jim Yukich summarized his approach to the film: "Our characters are like normal kids - three kids on an adventure, so we didn't want to make something that kids would almost be too afraid to see. ... I'd like to make it in a funnier, light-hearted vein."
Which is weird because the original series was inspired by gritty stuff like Death Wish, Enter the Ninja, Mad Max, Exterminator, etc. That was all in the 80s along with the martial arts craze. By the time of the 90s all that was out of fashion.

Another problem is, some of this stuff just doesn't translate well to live-action. It works in anime/manga form because you can get away with weirdness in drawings and animation. A lot of what works in anime won't work in live-action without looking odd.
I think Ghost In the Shell would be the one manga/anime property that would work well as a live-action adaptation. It's an espionage thriller with some SF elements, that turns into a story about existentialism towards the end.
My problem with some of these adaptations is that they don't realize how different the two mediums are, and end up getting the tone all wrong, despite characters or scenes looking "identical" to the comic/anime.

But for the most part, I agree, that most of this stuff doesn't translate well to live-action film, since the source material was designed to take advantage of the original medium.
Old 02-08-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CinemaBlend took a dump on the 3D of this “3D Event of the year.”

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...e-angel-ticket
Old 02-10-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Alita opened with 32 million in only 11 markets.

Old 02-10-19, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Currently at 62% fresh on rottentomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alita_battle_angel
Old 02-12-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Just got back from a Dolby 3D showing tonight at AMC.

I didn't have really any expectations going into it and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really good. The 3D IMO really added to the experience. Amazing performance capture animations with Rosa Salazar creating Alita and great special effects. The world that they created was pretty remarkable. I think this was one of Robert Rodriguez's best movies in years. But, I think more of the credit goes to James Cameron as writer. He created characters, including Alita, who I cared about.

After the credits, there was a 30 minute Q&A that was pre-taped with Jon Landau, Rodriguez, Cameron, Connelly and Rosa Salazar. I only stayed for part of it as I had to go to the restroom badly. This Q&A was exclusive to those seeing the movie tonight or tomorrow.

I think this is a movie that's going to pleasantly surprise a lot of people. I hope it makes money because:

Spoiler:
It leaves things open for a sequel as Ali was only a puppet for the real villain.

I'm willing to bet this does well in the Asian markets.

Overall, I'd give this a B+ and an 8/10.
Old 02-12-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Just saw it as well tonight. Thought it was pretty fun and the effects were good. Still a little fuzzy about why everyone keeps losing limbs in Iron City, though maybe they mentioned it in passing, I think they were only referencing the Cyborg trade.
Thought the 3D was pretty good as well

Didn't realize about the Q&A at all. And I stayed to the end of the credits.
Old 02-12-19, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker

Didn't realize about the Q&A at all. And I stayed to the end of the credits.
Landau appeared at the beginning and said to stick around through the end credits.

After the credits finished, it went to black for about 30 seconds or so, then a graphic appeared that said take off your 3D glasses and then a 5 minute EPK played on how they did the performance capture animations. After the EPK was the Q&A.
Old 02-12-19, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Landau appeared at the beginning and said to stick around through the end credits.

After the credits finished, it went to back for about 30 seconds or so, then a graphic appeared that said take off your 3D glasses and then a 5 minute EPK played on how they did the performance capture animations. After the EPK was the Q&A.
We didn't get that message at the beginning. Or any trailers either which I thought was weird. Just a warning to not use your cell phone, then the Dolby Cinema demo, then the movie. Maybe we didn't have the Q&A. I waited until the end of the credits, then the cleaning crew came in and it seemed everyone left. But I didn't stick around another 30 seconds to find out.
Old 02-12-19, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker

We didn't get that message at the beginning. Or any trailers either which I thought was weird. Just a warning to not use your cell phone, then the Dolby Cinema demo, then the movie. Maybe we didn't have the Q&A. I waited until the end of the credits, then the cleaning crew came in and it seemed everyone left. But I didn't stick around another 30 seconds to find out.
Wow, maybe that was only given to some markets.

Well, hope you at least got the free Alita funko keychain.
Old 02-12-19, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just got back from a Dolby 3D showing tonight at AMC.

I didn't have really any expectations going into it and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really good. The 3D IMO really added to the experience. Amazing performance capture animations with Rosa Salazar creating Alita and great special effects. The world that they created was pretty remarkable. I think this was one of Robert Rodriguez's best movies in years. But, I think more of the credit goes to James Cameron as writer. He created characters, including Alita, who I cared about.

After the credits, there was a 30 minute Q&A that was pre-taped with Jon Landau, Rodriguez, Cameron, Connelly and Rosa Salazar. I only stayed for part of it as I had to go to the restroom badly. This Q&A was exclusive to those seeing the movie tonight or tomorrow.

I think this is a movie that's going to pleasantly surprise a lot of people. I hope it makes money because:

Spoiler:
It leaves things open for a sequel as Ali was only a puppet for the real villain.

I'm willing to bet this does well in the Asian markets.

Overall, I'd give this a B+ and an 8/10.
i assume you're talking Desty Nova and the manga goes like all out crazy in later volumes, I'm not even sure how they would adapt that. The manga actually ended, then they undid the ending to continue the series in a new magazine. Considering the only other media we ever got was the ovas, which covers most of what this movie covers, I kinda hope they continue too.
Old 02-13-19, 10:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw this tonight. Thought it was really well done. I decided to make the small trek to the Dolby Cinema with the 3D showing, and I don’t regret that decision. The 3D was pretty great.

I was a little perplexed as well about half th population of Iron City missing limbs. Maybe the manga goes into that more. A minor quibble. I thought most of the characters were well fleshed out. Alita herself was very engaging throughout. The story was rather predictable, but it’s a fun ride. I’d be down to see a Motorball spinoff movie.
Old 02-14-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Review thread?

Just watched this in Dolby 3D. Quick aside the glasses for Dolby are terrible. It felt like tunnel vision way more than either realD or imax. Like the ends of the lenses were curved or something.

I walked away a bit confused with how I felt about the movie. On the one hand the characters were intriguing and you felt something for them. The SFX were also really well done. I thought Alita was very well done. The eyes added a nice ethereal touch which fit the character. But the plot left a lot to be desired. I don’t know anything about this property but I continually felt lost like there was a lot left out that you needed to know to follow along. Also the rules really changed a lot. For instance the definition of murder was really malleable. In one instance someone else committing a murder resulted in a bounty put out on the love interest’s head within a few mins while throughout the movie people are continuously getting murdered and even during the roller ball sport. It just seems life is cheap unless it’s convenintly not for the purposes of the plot. I also did not really like this particular cliff hanger that it ends on. The movie just seemed to ramp up to something that didn’t happen. They literally talked about it the entire movie. And since there hasn’t been any sequels announced yet the story just ends.
Old 02-14-19, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means
CinemaBlend took a dump on the 3D of this “3D Event of the year.”

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...e-angel-ticket

Yeah I don’t know. It is the best 3D I’ve seen in a long time but in today’s age of lazy post processing that’s not saying much. With all the hype I was expecting something on the level of avatar which this was definitely not. Makes me wonder if the avatar sequels will bring anything new to the mix.
Old 02-14-19, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Old 02-14-19, 04:05 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Love that song.
Old 02-14-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw the trailer and thought it looked cool, but I wasn't in a rush to go out and see it. I didn't know anything about the story either. So last night my son begged me to take him and seeing as how its his birthday tomorrow, we went and we both thought it was great. I hope it does well because I'd like to see another one.
Old 02-14-19, 09:04 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I'm going to be in Tampa this weekend for work and saw one of their AMCs are playing this in a "D-Box" (terrible name) theatre. I never heard of this before and it sounds like a huge distraction to watching the movie.
Old 02-14-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm going to be in Tampa this weekend for work and saw one of their AMCs are playing this in a "D-Box" (terrible name) theatre. I never heard of this before and it sounds like a huge distraction to watching the movie.
It is actually pretty cool. Just some rumble here and there in your seat. Nothing too intrusive...though I have only been to one a couple of times. Kinda like AMC Prime if you have been to one of those.
Old 02-14-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I thought D-box also had slight movement.
Old 02-14-19, 10:04 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I thought D-box also had slight movement.
That's what I had read, which is what I thought would be distracting. Almost like you are on a theme park ride.
Old 02-14-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That's what I had read, which is what I thought would be distracting. Almost like you are on a theme park ride.
It's movement is probably slight. I used to work with flight simulators and you can get replicate some cool effects without thrashing about.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.