Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Looks fantastic. I don't remember if they were going for an R-rating, but I could totally see this one going for some of the YA crowd.

Can't wait to hear about the "brown washing" with this one, though.
Old 12-08-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

What the heck is that?

Did they really spend money to make her eyes more "anime" when in the manga, she just looks like everyone else? Why? Not only is it really creepy, but just why? Who the heck thought that was a great idea to make the film stand out?

I mean you already have a film with (presumably) a much lower budget that perfectly captures the look that you should be going for in Ex Machina.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-08-17 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean you already have a film with (presumably) a much lower budget that perfectly captures the look that you should be going for in Ex Machina.
Well, maybe that's why they went this route instead of that one? Why make a clone of what's already out there?

Here's what she looks like in the animation:

Here's a manga drawing:

Here's a pic from the film:

Spoiler:

I'm guessing they wanted a middle ground in there somewhere. I think it's fine and emphasizes that she's neither all human or all robot.

I also didn't realize that the film has a 200 million dollar budget. I think this will be RR's biggest budget of all time. Not bad for a kid who made his first feature for 7 grand.
Old 12-08-17, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen the anime and I regularly read the manga and its reboot/sequel. Just because the author's style includes drawing big eyes on his main character, it doesn't mean that he meant the main character to look anything but human. I realize you can point to her "father," Ito, who is always squinting, and say she looks different, but there are many characters in the manga that have the same eyes as her, and in the anime it's even more uniform.

Yes, she's supposed to be a cyborg, but she's supposed to have a human face, that's pretty much the only part of her that still looks human...

You seriously aren't weirded out about the eyes? It looks ridiculous.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-08-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. I think it looks like a "real life" anime character. You don't think anime characters look weird with their over exaggerated features? I do.
Old 12-08-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Can't wait to hear about the "brown washing" with this one, though.
Is Alita supposed to be a specific ethnicity?
Wikipedia says that the anime takes place in the "former" United States.

Originally Posted by fujishig
What the heck is that?

Did they really spend money to make her eyes more "anime" when in the manga, she just looks like everyone else? Why? Not only is it really creepy, but just why? Who the heck thought that was a great idea to make the film stand out?

CGI-ing her face like a Bratz doll/bobble head is really distracting. Salazar has a nice face, it's stupid that they messed it up for the film.

The trailer's not too interesting. I might check out the manga though.
Old 12-08-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Alita supposed to be a specific ethnicity?
Wikipedia says that the anime takes place in the "former" United States.
I don't know. I just know that a Latina is in the lead role.

EDIT - and a lot of her is actually CGI, so I assume that she's mocapping most of her performance:

The main character, even though it's a live action film, will be done with CG animation and will be shot in 3D using the stereo imaging system that James Cameron had been developing for his documentaries.
Old 12-08-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. I think it looks like a "real life" anime character. You don't think anime characters look weird with their over exaggerated features? I do.
Sure, but they live in a world where others look like that, and I'm used to the style by now. It's similar to how I'm not bothered that everyone looks like a bodybuilder in American comics.

Her real name is "Yoko" in Gunnm, but ethnicity doesn't really play a role in the story, in fact she may be part German even.

This thing cost 200 Million? It's going to bomb so bad...

Last edited by fujishig; 12-08-17 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by redtornado
I hope Robert Rodriguez doesn't f' this thing up. He hasn't made anything worthwhile since the original Sin City.
I don't he's made anything worthwhile since the 90's and yet someone not named Weinstein put him in charge of a $200,000,000 project.
Old 12-08-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
CGI-ing her face like a Bratz doll/bobble head is really distracting. Salazar has a nice face, it's stupid that they messed it up for the film.

The trailer's not too interesting.
Totally in agreement.

And nothing in that trailer would lead me to think this cost anywhere near $200 million.

And that cast list sounds like something you'd see in a DTV release. Paging Casper Van Dien! (Oh wait, he's IN the movie!)

This would need AVATAR numbers to be a hit. It may do better than GHOST IN THE SHELL, ASTRO BOY, or SPEED RACER numbers on the strength of the Cameron/Rodriguez team-up, but not by much.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-08-17 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It was proposed to be $200m which is why it wasn't made for such a long time. I'm pretty sure it got a fraction of that and so they went with a (generally) budget friendly director.
Old 12-08-17, 08:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If this fails (which based on all movies like this released in the US the past 10 years, it will), it'll be a very long time after that we'll see Rodriguez do anything worth seeing. This looks fairly generic and throwaway.

But hey, maybe we'll get another 10 minute cooking school extra on the blu.
Old 12-08-17, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Eye thought the trailer looked promising. There might have been something about it that threw me off, but eye can't quite put my finger on it. Anyway, Eye'm definitely checking this one out on the bigscreen.
Old 12-08-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
If this fails (which based on all movies like this released in the US the past 10 years, it will), it'll be a very long time after that we'll see Rodriguez do anything worth seeing. This looks fairly generic and throwaway.

But hey, maybe we'll get another 10 minute cooking school extra on the blu.

Not really since RR works with low budgets. If it fails it will not kill his career, if that's what you're alluding to. I doubt he decided on the 200 million budget AND I noticed he has a co-screenwriting credit, too.
Old 12-08-17, 09:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

He’s just a director for hire, not much more. I loved the El Mariachi movies, but he can’t write beyond that. He won’t die out or his career will die, but he’s not a main player by any means, unless he has the likes of Cameron bankrolling him. I’m just alluding to the fact that after this fails, he probably will stick to the low budget stuff he’s better apt to do. Maybe continuing to run the El Rey network and create a ton of shows for that.
Old 12-08-17, 09:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

So Alita is a real person and only eyes cgi? Her face looked completely cgi and unnatural...
Old 12-08-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, she's all cgi, probably motion capped over the actress. But what a bummer for the actress since she doesn't even look like this cgi monster.
Old 12-09-17, 12:20 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Not really since RR works with low budgets. If it fails it will not kill his career, if that's what you're alluding to. I doubt he decided on the 200 million budget AND I noticed he has a co-screenwriting credit, too.
I believe he is already planning to go back to his routes and do a film for only $7k ala El Mariachi.
Old 12-09-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It was proposed to be $200m which is why it wasn't made for such a long time. I'm pretty sure it got a fraction of that and so they went with a (generally) budget friendly director.
I got the $200m figure from google & IMDB. If that has changed, I cannot find it anywhere.
Old 12-09-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I got the $200m figure from google & IMDB. If that has changed, I cannot find it anywhere.
Same, but the reports about it being $200m also reference the studio trying to go lower and RR being hired after all that. I think there will be a better idea of cost down the line, I'm just saying I don't think it wound up with anything near that.
Old 12-09-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Well, maybe that's why they went this route instead of that one? Why make a clone of what's already out there?

Here's what she looks like in the animation:

Here's a manga drawing:

Here's a pic from the film:

Spoiler:

I'm guessing they wanted a middle ground in there somewhere. I think it's fine and emphasizes that she's neither all human or all robot.

I also didn't realize that the film has a 200 million dollar budget. I think this will be RR's biggest budget of all time. Not bad for a kid who made his first feature for 7 grand.
Mrs Danger points out that they took a character who, although she has big eyes, looks fierce and confident. They made her look wide-eyed and vulnerable. It's basically what Hollywood did to The Major from GITS all over again.
Old 12-09-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The movie looks awful.

Those eyes... jeezus... we're rolling down the uncanny valley.

While I generally think the movie looks bad, I see this falling into the same trap as Ghost in the Shell, in that, while anime and manga have a lot of geek cred, it's not something your average Joe knows anything about. Manga an anime adaptions are going to struggle to find an audience.
Old 12-09-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This has way less name recognition in America than GiTS, which at least had a couple of full anime seasons as well as a few movies. It's a passion project, and I can't help but feel like being unfamiliar with the original actually helps people come to grips with what Alita looks like. I've seen people say that it's fine she looks like that since she's a robot anyway, and that this is intentional uncanny valley stuff to make her stand out.

It seems really dumb to me to make your main character look horrific, especially when the actress you hired is gorgeous, but maybe that's just me.
Old 12-09-17, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mrs Danger points out that they took a character who, although she has big eyes, looks fierce and confident. They made her look wide-eyed and vulnerable. It's basically what Hollywood did to The Major from GITS all over again.
It's context. It will depend on how long it will take Alita to gain that confidence in the film. I am not even second guessing the direction, because I am a fan of RR in general, it will have to be solely based off of the script and considering James Cameron co-wrote it with RR and Laeta -- I am quite optimistic.
Old 12-10-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read or watch this Battle Angel. But I'll watch it anyway.

Ghost in the Shell had tough crowd, but I liked the movie. I might like this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.