Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Spoiler:
Why did the first girl who was rescued said she saw Hugh Jackman and was scared of him and then he took off...that puzzled me.
Believe it was

Spoiler:
a reference to the fact that she heard him in the house when he was at the aunt's home earlier. He realized this and took off to go there.
Old 09-22-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Believe it was

Spoiler:
a reference to the fact that she heard him in the house when he was at the aunt's home earlier. He realized this and took off to go there.
Spoiler:
Good point, but it would have been nice to have a flash back of that instead of some random girl (was that the girl from the store maybe) who picked her up. I mean, Hugh was drinking and all messed up during the time. Could he have been that on his toes to have figured it out so quickly?
Old 09-22-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

You guys should watch Incendies (the director's previous movie). Top-notch heavy drama.
Old 09-22-13, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. You guys are making me wanting to watch this more now.
Old 09-22-13, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Spoiler:
Good point, but it would have been nice to have a flash back of that instead of some random girl (was that the girl from the store maybe) who picked her up. I mean, Hugh was drinking and all messed up during the time. Could he have been that on his toes to have figured it out so quickly?
Yeah I was confused by it too. Thanks for the clear up Cardsfan.
Old 09-22-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it yesterday. Overall, a very gripping and intense movie going experience. However, I will agree that it started to drag towards the end and was about 15 minutes too long. I didn't feel it was boring in any sense, but felt it started to plod in the third act.

I too was confused by the whole
Spoiler:
first girl getting frightened of Jackman. When she started saying stuff like "you were there", I thought it was hinting that he had something to do with it. Perhaps he was getting obsessed with this whole survival stuff and had the girls kidnapped as a test. Gyllehnall seemed to be thinking something similar as well. They should have been more clear with that part. Also, do you think it was clear that Jackman was going to be rescued at the end? I think it was, but they just wanted to give the audience an "Inception" type ending.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 09-22-13 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 07:21 PM

Liked it didn't love it. Easily could have been at least 20 minutes shorter. Gyllenhaal's character got on my nerves a little, imo he was too much of a "supercop" who figured out every single angle.
Old 09-22-13, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chaz k
Liked it didn't love it. Easily could have been at least 20 minutes shorter. Gyllenhaal's character got on my nerves a little, imo he was too much of a "supercop" who figured out every single angle.
Not really. He had his flaws but they set that up early in the movie with his track record that he was very good at what he does.
Old 09-23-13, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Not really. He had his flaws but they set that up early in the movie with his track record that he was very good at what he does.
Yeah, when his character is introduced to the family, he mentions that he has solved every case he's ever been apart of
Old 09-23-13, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Yeah, when his character is introduced to the family, he mentions that he has solved every case he's ever been apart of
I thought they/he did a good job with his character. He didn't jump or rush into anything by being pressured. I liked his boss also he made me laugh.
Old 09-23-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They could have cut at least 20 minutes out of this, but I really enjoyed it. This is the best performance I've seen Jackman give, and I thought everyone in the film was solid. Dano gave off his usual creepy vibe. I loved the ending as well. I read someone's theory about the ending on another site:

Spoiler:
They were speculating that maybe Gyllenhaal's character heard the whistle, possibly thinking it was Jackman, and still left him buried for his involvement in the torture of Dano's character. I know the ending is a bit open-ended but I thought that was a decent theory, especially when he tells Bello in the hospital that Jackman would very likely go to prison. Thoughts?
Old 09-23-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I loved the ending as well. I read someone's theory about the ending on another site:

Spoiler:
They were speculating that maybe Gyllenhaal's character heard the whistle, possibly thinking it was Jackman, and still left him buried for his involvement in the torture of Dano's character. I know the ending is a bit open-ended but I thought that was a decent theory, especially when he tells Bello in the hospital that Jackman would very likely go to prison. Thoughts?
Spoiler:

That's why I mentioned earlier that the ending went from being something that seemed so predictable to being really good. When he found the whistle and special attention was paid to it (the wife mentioning she bought another one for the daughter and that the kids found the one at Thanksgiving), you just know that will be what saves him.

Then when Gyllenhaal's character hears the faint whistle and acts so uncertain whether he hears anything at all and the credits start rolling, I have to believe that he's left down there. I hadn't really considered it being an intentional act.

Regardless of the intention, think about the irony. The guy goes to such extreme lengths to save his daughter, and he never even saw her to know for sure that she was alive. And as you mention above, he finds himself left alone to suffer, just as he did to Dano's character. Finally, the film paints him from the very beginning as one who was ready to survive no matter what happens in the world around him. We see the stash of food and supplies in his basement. And here, he finds himself below ground with no food/supplies for what might be several weeks (recall the workers indicating the ground was too hard to continue searching).

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 09-23-13 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw this yesterday and enjoyed it. I'd probably give it a solid B.

Jackman was solid as the lead and I thought Gyllenhaall was interesting playing the conflicted cop trying to find his daughter.

It did drag in some parts. I also think this movie would have still worked if it was edited down to a solid 2 hours. Had a very creepy vibe.

Enjoyed the twists and turns. As for the ending, I fully expected they would keep it vague and let the viewer decide the outcome. It was funny, once the screen went to black and the credits rolled, most of the audience in the theater I was in, said..."Awwww, really?"
Old 09-24-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Spoiler:

That's why I mentioned earlier that the ending went from being something that seemed so predictable to being really good. When he found the whistle and special attention was paid to it (the wife mentioning she bought another one for the daughter and that the kids found the one at Thanksgiving), you just know that will be what saves him.

Then when Gyllenhaal's character hears the faint whistle and acts so uncertain whether he hears anything at all and the credits start rolling, I have to believe that he's left down there. I hadn't really considered it being an intentional act.

Regardless of the intention, think about the irony. The guy goes to such extreme lengths to save his daughter, and he never even saw her to know for sure that she was alive. And as you mention above, he finds himself left alone to suffer, just as he did to Dano's character. Finally, the film paints him from the very beginning as one who was ready to survive no matter what happens in the world around him. We see the stash of food and supplies in his basement. And here, he finds himself below ground with no food/supplies for what might be several weeks (recall the workers indicating the ground was too hard to continue searching).
Spoiler:
My brother saw this with me. He said he noticed at the candle light ceremony that Terrence Howard's character had leaned over coughing, almost identical to Jackman after he drinks the poisoned soda at the end. I don't remember that part. He wasn't sure if that had any meaning or connection.

He also thought the wife wanted Jackman to go to jail because of the way she was asking Gyllenhaal in the hospital. I don't remember exactly the tone of her voice there either.
Old 09-26-13, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the better thrillers I have seen and now it makes total sense that it was by the director of Incendies another great movie with a few flaws.
Old 09-27-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Anyone else recognize "Bob Taylor" from "The Dark Knight"? Took me a minute to remember where I knew him from.
Old 09-27-13, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Overall I thought Prisoners was quite good. I'd give it a solid 4/5 rating.

My only quibble:

Spoiler:
From the moment Melissa Leo revealed herself to Hugh Jackman, her dialogue was almost entirely a "these are my motives" speech. It didn't seem like a natural stretch of dialogue, but rather dialogue that the plot demanded.

other than that, I really liked it.
Old 09-27-13, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Is it not worth getting other viewpoints?

FWIW, this looks like substandard Ron Howard fare from the ads. And WB doesn't seem to have much faith in it, either.
Originally Posted by Chadm
Overall I thought Prisoners was quite good. I'd give it a solid 4/5 rating.

My only quibble:

Spoiler:
From the moment Melissa Leo revealed herself to Hugh Jackman, her dialogue was almost entirely a "these are my motives" speech. It didn't seem like a natural stretch of dialogue, but rather dialogue that the plot demanded.

other than that, I really liked it.
Yep. Total monologue.
Old 09-28-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Easily one of the best films I've seen this year. Jackman was fantastic and the movie was just brutal especially with the
Spoiler:
torture scenes with Alex
Gyllenhaal was really good too. I didn't think he was too much of a "supercop" like some complained about earlier. He was flawed but very intent on his search to find the girls. I really like these kinds of slow burn crime dramas and can easily see myself watching this again. Definite day one buy when it hits Blu-ray.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-28-13 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 05:16 AM
Banned

Lol nice spoiler bro.
Old 10-13-13, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I'm still trying to figure out why
Spoiler:
The aunt (I did catch that she wasn't actually Alex's aunt but that he was one of her abductees) was responsible for all those abductions/murders? What was her motive again? Also, what was Bob Taylor's connection to this whole thing...was he just another abductee of the aunt who was used to keep the cops off her trail?
Bob Taylor
Spoiler:
was one of the kids who was kidnapped a long time ago. He got away while drugged and didn't remember what happened to him. Because of this, he thought he was abducted by the 'invisible man' in the book he had been reading, and was obsessed with mazes (and snakes) because of what happened to him (by the man found in the church basement). He spent his life trying to recreate the crimes. He had nothing to do with the actual crime - at one point, the woman responsible for everything said that she had forgotten all about him.
Old 10-13-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I loved the ending as well. I read someone's theory about the ending on another site:

Spoiler:
I honestly think that
Spoiler:
if Gyllenhaal left him in the hole to die, that would be totally against his character. He would want Jackman to know that his kid was still alive, then face the music for what he'd done.
Old 10-13-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I honestly think that
Spoiler:
if Gyllenhaal left him in the hole to die, that would be totally against his character. He would want Jackman to know that his kid was still alive, then face the music for what he'd done.
Also:

Spoiler:
How would Gyllenhaal have known it was Jackman blowing the whistle? At the very least, he would want to make certain it wasn't another kid trapped down there.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (02-20-22)
Old 10-13-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I honestly think that
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yeah, while the other idea is interesting to think about it would seem way out of Gyllenhaal's character to have just left him there. My guess is he heard it and got Jackman out or possibly dismissed the sound of the whistle for something else outside and didn't check if anyone was there (possible but seems unlikely).
Old 10-13-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Also:

Spoiler:
How would Gyllenhaal have known it was Jackman blowing the whistle? At the very least, he would want to make certain it wasn't another kid trapped down there.
Very true.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.