Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

Old 11-17-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

I thought this was a pretty great flick, really enjoyable and just twisted enough. In many ways, it reminded me of those Korean revenge flicks from the last decade.
Old 11-17-13, 06:03 AM
Banned

I regret never seeing this. Really got my interest as I read more stuff on it.
Old 11-22-13, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
How would Gyllenhaal have known it was Jackman blowing the whistle? At the very least, he would want to make certain it wasn't another kid trapped down there.

I agree.

Spoiler:
I found Gyllenhaal's cop to be tenacious to say the least. I never got a vibe that he would allow someone to die slowly rather than bring them to justice. I know the ending was supposed to be left unanswered as to what happened next, but i felt it was very clear cut what happened next. He heard the whistle and being the cop he is, he investigated. Finds the hole and finds Jackmans character.

I think the movie started off really strong and i loved the music, the cinematography and the acting. After a while though i found the movie to turn a little too generic for my liking and in the end i found it a good movie, just not great. The acting was well done throughout though i will say that.
Old 01-22-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this over the weekend and really, really loved it. It had a unique quality--I can't quite put my feel on it, but for having so many recognizable faces in the film, it felt grounded and real.

The only thing I didn't quite get was this:
Spoiler:
If the aunt is suggesting that she and her husband were kidnapping children for decades to wage a war against God and to rip the hope away from other parents--why ever release some of the kids? In a flashback to find out what happened to Terrence Howard's daugthter, we hear someone say something to the effect of "figure out the maze and you can go home." Maybe I'm remembering this a bit wrong several days later, but overall this idea of some kids seemingly can be kidnapped forever and others get to leave didn't make complete sense to me.
Old 01-22-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think
Spoiler:
that Alex Jones and Bob Taylor were the only children they abducted that weren't killed. I think they were brainwashed to a point where the "aunt" and her husband (the dead guy in the priest's basement) weren't worried about Alex and Bob giving them up.
Old 01-22-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the reply but
Spoiler:
didn't they let Terrence Howard's kid run away without much of a problem--and in contrast, ran after Hugh Jackman's daughter? Again, maybe I'm remember incorrectly, but I got the sense that Howard's daughter in the film somehow "earned" the right to leave...maybe by completing the maze, which would seem to counter their philosophy for kidnapping kids in the first place (religion and ending people's hope).

Still really enjoyed it.
Old 01-25-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
Thanks for the reply but
Spoiler:
didn't they let Terrence Howard's kid run away without much of a problem--and in contrast, ran after Hugh Jackman's daughter? Again, maybe I'm remember incorrectly, but I got the sense that Howard's daughter in the film somehow "earned" the right to leave...maybe by completing the maze, which would seem to counter their philosophy for kidnapping kids in the first place (religion and ending people's hope).

Still really enjoyed it.
Spoiler:
At the time the two girls made a run for it, they were alone in the house with the aunt. (Alex had been abducted and her husband was dead.) So the aunt was only able to recapture one of them.
Old 01-31-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just watched the film this morning and it was very well done. Great performances by everyone and it's a very bleak film, too. I read that it was originally given an NC-17 rating due to the violence.

As far as the ending goes:
Spoiler:
Jake does hear the whistle but has to pause to make sure he heard what he heard. I think he hears it twice before it cuts to the credits.

It's a very dark film with great direction and superb cinematography. Hell, the script is killer, too.
Old 01-31-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Just watched the film this morning and it was very well done. Great performances by everyone and it's a very bleak film, too. I read that it was originally given an NC-17 rating due to the violence.

As far as the ending goes:
Spoiler:
Jake does hear the whistle but has to pause to make sure he heard what he heard. I think he hears it twice before it cuts to the credits.

It's a very dark film with great direction and superb cinematography. Hell, the script is killer, too.
If you haven't yet, you should see the director's previous film

Old 01-31-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice. I've added it to my Netflix queue.
Old 01-31-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, frames from one of the torture scenes & per imdb
Spoiler:
a subplot about Pedophillia was cut to get an R rating. although i'm sure the people that thought it was too long are glad the MPAA decided that was too much
Old 01-31-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
yeah, frames from one of the torture scenes & per imdb
Spoiler:
a subplot about Pedophillia was cut to get an R rating. although i'm sure the people that thought it was too long are glad the MPAA decided that was too much
Figured that was missing, they build up weird snake dude too much and do too little with him.
Old 02-01-14, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've also added his "Maelstrom" film to my queue and he has a new film with Jake Gyllenhaal called "Enemy" coming out soon. Dude is on a roll. He shoots really fast.
Old 02-01-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Incendies was very good but the ending stuck a bit too much to the old French nihilism of the mid-century.
Old 02-01-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've also added his "Maelstrom" film to my queue and he has a new film with Jake Gyllenhaal called "Enemy" coming out soon. Dude is on a roll. He shoots really fast.
If you haven't already, check out Polytechnique as well.
Old 02-01-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
If you haven't already, check out Polytechnique as well.
Thanks. I've got Incendies and Maelstrom on the way from Netflix.
Old 02-02-14, 03:01 AM
Banned

Are those not streaming?
Old 02-02-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Are those not streaming?
Nope. And a few other films of his aren't available on there. They have the "save" button them.
Old 02-06-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good thriller but definitely overly long.
Old 02-28-14, 09:42 AM

Picked this up at the library last night and thought it was an OK time waster, but depressing:

Spoiler:

- Really made you feel for Dano's character at the end, realizing that he was trying to help Jackman at the beginning by saying that they didn't cry until he left them.
- I figured out at the end that the Bob character was the one that got away, but how did he merge back into society, get a house, etc.?
- Unfortuately, I guessed that Melissa Leo was the actual villan when she didn't have hardly any scenes at the beginning. Having an Oscar winner in the cast is usually an indication that they will heavily figure into the story.
Old 02-28-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by n.phelge View Post
Picked this up at the library last night and thought it was an OK time waster, but depressing:

Spoiler:

- Really made you feel for Dano's character at the end, realizing that he was trying to help Jackman at the beginning by saying that they didn't cry until he left them.
- I figured out at the end that the Bob character was the one that got away, but how did he merge back into society, get a house, etc.?
- Unfortuately, I guessed that Melissa Leo was the actual villan when she didn't have hardly any scenes at the beginning. Having an Oscar winner in the cast is usually an indication that they will heavily figure into the story.

Not really.
Spoiler:
She was in Flight for about 5 seconds…in the very end and her character affected nothing.
Old 05-29-14, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally watched this tonight. I think it was one of the best films of 2013.

It was long but I never felt it was overly long. The runtime actually went by pretty fast for me and I was completely engrossed in the film from start to finish.

Wonderful performances by everyone especially Gyllenhaal who played the cop role perfectly. He's one of the only actors I've seen who actually knows trigger control when he holds a gun.

5/5
Old 05-29-14, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it yesterday also Awesome movie, went by very quickly.

Reading about the ending

Spoiler:
I love the theory that it's not ambiguous whether Loki knows where Keller is or not, but ambiguous on whether he chooses to rescue him or not. The director and screenwriter said Keller gets rescued and they shot it out but at the end left like it is in the script.
Old 05-29-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not perfect, but one of the better thrillers in years.
Old 05-29-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope. And a few other films of his aren't available on there. They have the "save" button them.
Netflix don't much care about their DVD rental service anymore. Tons of stuff has long waits and goes into "saved" nowadays on my queue.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.