DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ever go to/buy a movie because you thought it was your last/only chance to see it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/607928-ever-go-buy-movie-because-you-thought-your-last-only-chance-see.html)

digidoh 01-13-13 06:21 PM

Ever go to/buy a movie because you thought it was your last/only chance to see it?

Don't know if this is the right forum, since it covers theatrical and video.

I’m talking about since the advent of home video, when it was practically guaranteed that a movie that had nationwide release would be on video sometime after. While some of you may have bought Disney videos before they went “back in the vault,” only mention it if the expression was new to you and you thought it meant they would be gone forever.

Fantasia had a restored edition theatrically reissued in 1990. The home video was released in late 1991. The TV commercials promoted it as “the final release of the original classic.” Because of the wording, I figured that Walt’s vision was going to be realized; the next time Fantasia was reissued to theaters it would include a mix of some of the original segments along with some new ones. So if I wanted to own the original version, I had to get the video before it disappeared from the shelves. A few years later, DVD came along, then Blu-Ray. It didn’t occur to Disney (or me) that a new format for home video would be invented.

Sometime before the Special Editions of the original Star Wars Trilogy were in theaters in 1997, there was an advertising campaign for the VHS versions that gave the impression this was the last time they would be released. The commercials probably had a phrasing similar to the Fantasia ads, but I misinterpreted them. When the Special Editions hit theaters, I thought they would not be released on home video. Our local theater only had A New Hope. I had to go out of town (17 miles) to see the other two movies. But the Special Editions were released on VHS sometime after their theatrical run.

Somewhat related, when The Wild Bunch was theatrically reissued in 1995, I drove 60 miles to see it, reasoning that the VHS release would be pan and scan. When the video release came out later that year, our local video store carried a widescreen VHS.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Solid Snake 01-13-13 06:37 PM

Re: Ever go to/buy a movie because you thought it was your last/only chance to see it

Nope.

bluetoast 01-13-13 06:58 PM

Re: Ever go to/buy a movie because you thought it was your last/only chance to see it

I remember seeing those Star Wars commercials in 95 or so, but my Grandfather gave me his CBS/FOX tapes around the time the SEs came to VHS anyway, so that didn't matter.

I kind of did something similar with Nick at Nite when they claimed they were showing some Lucy footage one time only, but then I taped it and never ended up watching it. For movies, I do that these days whenever there's a 70 mm presentation or something rare.

Why So Blu? 01-13-13 07:26 PM

It depends. It's usually films that have already been out that get shown at revival houses or where ever. In 35 mm - depending on the film, I'll make that special trip for it. If it's a film that's being presented digitally - I'll most likely pass.

Tom Creo 01-13-13 07:36 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKr5R1VNPjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

resinrats 01-13-13 08:07 PM

I've gone to the $1 theater to see movies I liked a lot since it will probably be the last time I'll see it in a theater. Usually action or sci-fi type movies with a lot of effects.

Decker 01-13-13 09:36 PM

The first time I saw Lawrence of Arabia it was at an exclusive L.A. engagement after a massive restoration by Robert Harris. It was a really big deal ( maybe at the Shrine auditorium or something like that) and I had to get my tickets weeks in advance. This was before DVDs (late 80s) and I knew I'd never get another chance to see it in a venue like that again. Glad I went.

Also once in the mid-90s, a friend of mine from High School had directed an independent film ("I Shot A Man In Reno") that got a limited release in Santa Monica for like one week and got a good review in the L.A. Times. I went to a showing there because I figured I might never get another chance to see his film, and I'm pretty sure I was right.

Mattflix 01-15-13 08:44 AM

Any theatrical re-release of a movie that's special to you can fall under this category. I was sure to see Raiders of the Lost Ark a few months back because that might be my only opportunity. I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but revival houses are not easy for me to get to, so anything like this is a rarity for me unless it's a major movie being rereleased to promote something.

On VHS, for some reason I was terrified once that if I didn't jump on Hackers, I'd never find it again. So 16 year-old me kept calling the local video store weekly for months until they had it in stock. I figured it was a less popular movie and I freaking loved it, so it would go away never to be seen again.

madcougar 01-15-13 12:18 PM

Shame. An NC-17 movie that I don't recall being shown locally. I'm sure it's not going to run on FX anytime soon. Not available at Best Buy. I had to buy it at Amazon just to see it.

dugan 01-15-13 02:22 PM

Princess Kaiulani. Saw it when vacationing in Hawaii.

islandclaws 01-15-13 02:46 PM

Not really. I'll go out of my way on occasion for revival screenings if there's some incentive to attend (i.e. cast/crew in attendance), but just a regular film? Nope.

Double_Oh_7 01-15-13 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Creo (Post 11538838)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKr5R1VNPjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who knew when they said "one last time" they really meant it!

Nick Danger 01-15-13 03:06 PM

Lots of times. In the last year alone, we've seen Wings, Lawrence of Arabia, and Yellow Submarine in the theater.

Ash Ketchum 01-15-13 04:46 PM

I remember in 1984 going to a screening of LYDIA BAILEY (1952), a Hollywood film about the Haitian revolution of 1802, starring William "Blacula" Marshall, and blowing off a family obligation to do it because I somehow knew I'd never get another opportunity to see it. And in the 29 years since, I've never had another opportunity to see it. It's an amazing film, one of the few Golden Age Hollywood films about a black revolution and one that remarkably didn't treat the characters in a racist fashion.

On a vaguely similar note, I once had the TV cut of PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID on VHS, having taped it off a local station's broadcast. When I got cable, I taped over it when another channel (TNT, I believe) ran it, assuming I'd be getting a better quality broadcast of the same version. I was wrong. TNT ran the theatrical version, which I already had on another tape. (I also have the director's cut on another tape.) The TV cut has scenes that do not exist in any other version (including one with Garrett's wife, played by Elsa Cardenas). And now I have no copy of it. And I have no idea if anyone ever plays that version. :(

rw2516 01-15-13 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 11541803)

On a vaguely similar note, I once had the TV cut of PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID on VHS, having taped it off a local station's broadcast. When I got cable, I taped over it when another channel (TNT, I believe) ran it, assuming I'd be getting a better quality broadcast. I was wrong. TNT ran the theatrical version, which I already had on another tape. (I also have the director's cut on another tape.) The TV cut has scenes that do not exist in any other version (including one with Garrett's wife, played by Elsa Cardenas). And now I have no copy of it. And I have no idea if anyone ever plays that version.

Had a similar experience. In early days of VHS, around 1983, I taped The Conqueror Worm off a local channel. Original U.S. version with original score. Some years later the film came on HBO and I taped over it. HBO the version with the replaced music score. Now I have U.S. version with replaced music, Witchfider General with original music, but no U.S. version with original music.

digidoh 01-16-13 12:29 PM

My apologies. I broke my own rules by including The Wild Bunch. Thanks to Tom Creo for posting that "last chance" promo. At 90 seconds, it must have been from a VHS trailer; all I ever saw were commercials on broadcast TV. For those who didn't click the video, the operative lines were "This will be your last chance to own the original version of Star Wars." and "The original Star Wars trilogy on video ... one last time."

And of course, Lucas changed his mind and ended up issuing the original version of the trilogy on DVD (albeit non-anamorphic) in 2006.

asianxcore 01-16-13 11:20 PM

Nope

Giles 01-16-13 11:56 PM

Drawning Restraint No. 9 - which was pointed out that no video release would happen, as was the case with Barney's other film(s): CREMASTER Cycle

is this what your asking for - answer wise?

digidoh 01-17-13 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11543930)
Drawning Restraint No. 9 - which was pointed out that no video release would happen, as was the case with Barney's other film(s): CREMASTER Cycle

is this what your asking for - answer wise?

Yes. Either no video release or a video release for a limited time with the implication (either real or imagined) that there would be absolutely no future video release. I hadn't considered the possibility of television airings.

Mabuse 01-17-13 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 11541560)
Who knew when they said "one last time" they really meant it!

Everyone bitches about Lucas but he mounted an expensive advertising campaign that explicitly said THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY for the LAST TIME.

The problem was that for some reason nobody believed him.