Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Old 01-12-13, 10:44 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pAt6iIrz_Uc?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pAt6iIrz_Uc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

"In order to save a young girl's life, an emergency operator must confront a killer from her past."

Directed by Brad Anderson
Starring Halle Berry, Abigail Breslin, Morris Chestnut & Michael Imperioli
Old 01-12-13, 01:03 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,562
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Saw the trailer for this before Zero Dark Thirty. The fact that they have to "flashback" to something that we saw one minute earlier is a very sad sign.
Old 01-12-13, 01:05 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,452
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Looks so bad it doesn't deserve a thread.
Old 01-12-13, 06:51 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Looks so bad it doesn't deserve a thread.
Agreed. Surprised to see Brad Anderson's name on this because both The Machinist and Transsiberian were both really good.
Old 01-12-13, 06:55 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Agreed. Surprised to see Brad Anderson's name on this because both The Machinist and Transsiberian were both really good.
Don't forget Session 9.
Old 01-12-13, 07:14 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,503
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Boo, Hiss, Boo!
Old 01-12-13, 07:24 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,444
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

I knew this was bad when I saw WWE films. The trailer was just awful.

"It's the same guy!!!"
Old 01-12-13, 07:26 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 47,432
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

I love Session 9 & The Machinist, I don't know about this. Joel Schumacher was supposed to direct this, when he dropped out he was replaced by Anderson.
Old 01-12-13, 07:35 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Yes this looks bad. Ouch. Halle Berry is just a bad actress at this juncture.
Old 01-12-13, 08:03 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 12,526
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

I feel like I watched the whole movie just by viewing the trailer.

It's like they showed us all the important major scenes in the movie, provided a spoiler as to who the killer is, and did it all in chronological order right to the end. All that's missing is how Berry foils the kidnapper.
Old 01-14-13, 10:54 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,159
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I knew this was bad when I saw WWE films.
I knew they'd gotten in the film production game, but this is the first project I've seen that didn't have a wresting star attached.

I saw Cloud Atlas last weekend and was reminded why I enjoy Halle Berry as an actress. It's sad that she's rarely offered quality scripts these days when someone like Julia Roberts is still commanding $20M a picture.
Old 01-14-13, 11:02 AM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I knew they'd gotten in the film production game, but this is the first project I've seen that didn't have a wresting star attached.

I saw Cloud Atlas last weekend and was reminded why I enjoy Halle Berry as an actress. It's sad that she's rarely offered quality scripts these days when someone like Julia Roberts is still commanding $20M a picture.
I dunno. Berry has never really done much for me in terms of her work.

It's so weird seeing WWE (I still think of it as WWF) being into movies. Saying that...I am pretty gung ho for Dead Man Down (I think that's what it's called) w/ Colin Farrell and Noomi Rapace, directed by Niels Arden Oplev (director of the original The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
Old 01-20-13, 07:09 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,927
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Saw the trailer in front of Mamá and Last Stand. This shit looks atrocious and it breaks my heart that Brad Anderson directed it.
Old 01-20-13, 08:19 PM
  #14  
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 1,461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
I dunno. Berry has never really done much for me in terms of her work.

It's so weird seeing WWE (I still think of it as WWF) being into movies. Saying that...I am pretty gung ho for Dead Man Down (I think that's what it's called) w/ Colin Farrell and Noomi Rapace, directed by Niels Arden Oplev (director of the original The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
That's one of the few movies I'm anticipating this year.
Old 01-20-13, 09:58 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,832
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I feel like I watched the whole movie just by viewing the trailer.

It's like they showed us all the important major scenes in the movie, provided a spoiler as to who the killer is, and did it all in chronological order right to the end. All that's missing is how Berry foils the kidnapper.
agreed...I don't think I've seen a trailer that gave THIS much away in what looks like the exact order it happens
Old 01-20-13, 10:07 PM
  #16  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,217
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Saw this in front of ZD30 as well. Looks terrible.
Old 01-20-13, 10:55 PM
  #17  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: rent-free, apparently.
Posts: 20,659
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
This shit looks atrocious and it breaks my heart that Brad Anderson directed it.
Seriously.
This guy has made some fantastic films. Even his early romantic comedies were good for what they were. But this... this looks absolutely terrible. I think his fall from grace started with The Vanishing on 7th Street...
Old 01-20-13, 11:18 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,927
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Seriously.
This guy has made some fantastic films. Even his early romantic comedies were good for what they were. But this... this looks absolutely terrible. I think his fall from grace started with The Vanishing on 7th Street...
And I'm actually a fan of Vanishing on 7th St, but it's definitely not his strongest. His last "great" film was Transsiberian.
Old 01-20-13, 11:51 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,829
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

We'll always have Session 9. Plus, he directed quite a few Fringe episodes.
Old 01-21-13, 03:32 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Terminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bronx, New York
Posts: 671
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Looks like the comedy hit of the year.
Old 01-21-13, 01:50 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,159
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Originally Posted by SuckaMC View Post
We'll always have Session 9. Plus, he directed quite a few Fringe episodes.
He also directed a pretty decent Masters of Horror episode called "Sounds Like", about a guy who's overly attuned hearing is slowly driving him crazy.

As for Berry, my favorite performance from her is still the Dorothy Dandridge biopic. She was excellent in that.
Old 01-21-13, 05:27 PM
  #22  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: rent-free, apparently.
Posts: 20,659
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

He even did a couple episodes of The Wire.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
And I'm actually a fan of Vanishing on 7th St, but it's definitely not his strongest. His last "great" film was Transsiberian.
Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest Vo7S is terrible... it's just not up to par with every other feature film he's done. The Call makes it look like he's given up on quality filmmaking, though.

I loved Transsiberian... but I'm partial to Emily Mortimer...
Old 01-21-13, 05:46 PM
  #23  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,217
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

I'll be surprised if this is even half as good as Vanishing on 7th Street (which I'm not terribly fond of).
Old 01-21-13, 05:56 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18,800
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Wow, I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. I saw this trailer before The Last Stand and agree that it looks pretty terrible. Yeah, they gave away pretty much the entire movie unless the final act takes place on the Starship Enterprise in which case kudos for keeping that a secret. I had no idea Brad Anderson directed this until I saw it in this thread. That's a real shame because I thought Session 9, The Machinist, and Transsiberian were all excellent. I even enjoyed Vanishing on 7th Street to a certain extent, it had great atmosphere even if the script was pretty weak.

And I have a thing for Emily Mortimer as well, it's why I didn't enjoy Matchpoint. Who would cheat on her?!
Old 01-21-13, 08:19 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,585
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Call (2013) - Halle Berry

Halle has been picking shit roles for some time now. At this point the only thing she's good in is the X-men Franchise. She can't lead films anymore.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.