DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Director David R. Ellis DEAD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/607768-director-david-r-ellis-dead.html)

dex14 01-07-13 04:29 PM

Director David R. Ellis DEAD

Director David R. Ellis has died in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Snakes On A Plane helmer passed away suddenly early this morning Los Angeles-time, Deadline has learned. Ellis was 60 years old. Cause of death is not yet known. Ellis was in South Africa preparing to direct the film KITE. The director’s live-action adaptation of the 1998 Japanese anime was set to reunite Ellis with his Snakes star Samuel L. Jackson. Born in Los Angeles on September 10, 1952, Ellis started out in Hollywood as an actor and then stuntman and stunt coordinator. In 1986, Ellis moved on to second unit directing, helming the action sequences on films such as Waterworld, The Matrix Reloaded and Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone. His first directing job was on the Disney film Homeward Bound 2: Lost In San Francisco in 1996. Final Destination 2 followed in 2003, with Cellular in 2004 and Snakes On A Plane in 2006. He went on to direct Asylum in 2008, The Final Destination in 2009 and Shark Night 3D in 2011. Ellis also did second unit directing on the upcoming Winter’s Tale starring Colin Farrell, Will Smith, Jennifer Connelly and Russell Crowe.

Maxflier 01-07-13 04:37 PM

Re: Director David R. Ellis DEAD

Kite is an.....interesting choice for an anime movie to adapt to live action.

R.I.P. by the way.

Jules Winfield 01-07-13 04:40 PM

Damn. Even though overall, he wasn't the greatest director, Final Destination 2 is one of the most fun movies ever.RIP

Tarantino 01-07-13 04:54 PM

:( that sucks.

DJariya 01-07-13 06:11 PM

Damn that's a shock.

Final Destination 2 was one of the best in the series.

Didn't really care for The Final Destination, but I appreciated the effort.

Snakes on a Plane was a great comedy.

Asylum was actually an okay DTV thriller

Liked Cellular

Hated Shark Night 3D

mdc3000 01-07-13 06:39 PM

He made slick popcorn flicks and his second unit work was great - I didn't like his last two films, but everything else was highly entertaining... sad to hear this new. RIP.

RocShemp 01-07-13 07:38 PM

Really sad to hear. :rip:

Final Destination 2 was great fun. So was Cellular. If you go into it with the right mindset, Snakes on a Plane is an intentional hoot.

asianxcore 01-07-13 08:26 PM

R.I.P

I enjoyed both of the Final Destination films he directed.

MrSmearkase 01-07-13 08:45 PM

:rip:

EdTheRipper 01-07-13 10:46 PM

Too bad.
R.I.P.

bluetoast 01-07-13 10:48 PM

Sad news.

SuckaMC 01-07-13 11:04 PM

Damn. Even after his last two stumbles (TFD, Shark Night), I always paid attention to when he had a movie coming out. Sudden and unexpected. RIP.

Torchur317 01-07-13 11:09 PM

I liked pretty much all of his work besides Shark Night. R.I.P

JohnnyMovie 01-10-13 10:45 PM

I just heard :( and :rip: Director of Snakes on a Plane.