Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Forbes : Hollywood’s Most Overpaid Stars

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-07-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothyp...in-hollywood/#

To compile our list, we used data on actors’ earnings gathered for our Celebrity 100 list.
Box office grosses and budget estimates are from Box Office Mojo.
We looked at the last three films each actor starred in over the last three years that opened in more than 2,000 theaters,
calculating the return on investment for the studios who pay his (or her) salary.

Eddie Murphy - Returns $2.30 for every $1 paid.
Katherine Heigl - Returns $3.40 for every $1 paid.
Reese Witherspoon - Returns $3.90 for every $1 paid.
Sandra Bullock - Returns $5 for every $1 paid.
Jack Black - Returns $5.20 for every $1 paid.
Nicolas Cage - Returns $6 for every $1 paid.
Adam Sandler - Returns $6.30 for every $1 paid.
Denzel Washington - Returns $6.30 for every $1 paid.
Ben Stiller - Returns $6.50 for every $1 paid.
Sarah Jessica Parker - Returns $7 for every $1 paid.
Old 01-07-13, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Forbes : Hollywood’s Most Overpaid Stars

So there's no star that is losing the studio money? Based on these figures, even Murphy is a good investment.
Old 01-07-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Note that this is just a return on their salaries, not the overall budget. I think Eddie Murphy's last three films would be collectively in the hole if calculated this way.

The article notes that newcomer to the list Katherine Heigl had a string of hits that propelled her asking price to $12 million a film, and then the next two films starring her bombed.

This is why I think stars should be paid primarily in points. Eddie Murphy's just going to take shitty role after shitty role as long as he keeps getting paid a lot to take them. If his personal financial return from the film was tied more to how well it actually performed when released, he might turn around and be a little more picky.
Old 01-07-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Note that this is just a return on their salaries, not the overall budget. I think Eddie Murphy's last three films would be collectively in the hole if calculated this way.

The article notes that newcomer to the list Katherine Heigl had a string of hits that propelled her asking price to $12 million a film, and then the next two films starring her bombed.

This is why I think stars should be paid primarily in points. Eddie Murphy's just going to take shitty role after shitty role as long as he keeps getting paid a lot to take them. If his personal financial return from the film was tied more to how well it actually performed when released, he might turn around and be a little more picky.
I like this idea but I think it would dissuade bigger actors from doing smaller flicks. Every actor would sign up to be in the next Michael Bay film.
Old 01-07-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I like this idea but I think it would dissuade bigger actors from doing smaller flicks. Every actor would sign up to be in the next Michael Bay film.
Actors take roles in smaller flicks for less pay now. And actors get paid more for the next Michael Bay film now. So I don't think that would really change all too much.

Many actors get points in movies now anyway, so really you'd just be shifting the balance of upfront vs backend a bit.

Also, you never know when the next small flick becomes a major hit, like Blair Witch Project or My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Randy Quaid was pissed when he gave up his points on Brokeback Mountain and the film later took off.
Old 01-08-13, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Overpaid for me means they are not getting their money's worth. Anyone that returns more than their salary is not overpaid.
Old 01-08-13, 01:56 AM
Banned by request

I hope this means that they stop casting Katherine Heigl in movies. Can't stand her.
Old 01-08-13, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sarah Jessica Parker seems to have such a return just becase the first Sex in the City movie was a huge hit/low budget. Part 2 did the opposite. Huge budget & low returns. Not sure what her 3rd movie was. Mr Ed remake?
Old 01-08-13, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Overpaid for me means they are not getting their money's worth. Anyone that returns more than their salary is not overpaid.
I think you need to read what Jay G says above again.
Old 01-08-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Before I even looked at the list, I thought "Reese Witherspoon." I still can't believe she owns an Oscar...I have yet to see one performance that didn't make me cringe.
Old 01-08-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Before I even looked at the list, I thought "Reese Witherspoon." I still can't believe she owns an Oscar...I have yet to see one performance that didn't make me cringe.
Her role in Election is cringe-worthy, but in a good way.
Old 01-08-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Another one that is on Hillary Swank's shit list.
Old 01-09-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Another one that is on Hillary Swank's shit list.
What's this about? Is Swank vocal about whom she dislikes?
Old 01-09-13, 12:22 AM
Suspended

Katherine Heigl?
Old 01-09-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For contrast, here's Forbes' list of "Best Actors For The Buck":
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothyp...-for-the-buck/

Natalie Portman is #1, with a 42.70:1 return ratio on her salary.

Note that these aren't the actors whose films made the most money, but made the best ROI base on salary. Tom Cruise may make more money for a studio overall, but he also commands much higher pay.
Old 01-09-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
What's this about? Is Swank vocal about whom she dislikes?
No I am just saying that because Swank is a much better actress than Witherspoon, Bullock, etc.

But she is probably not cosidered "cute" or "pretty" thus not in as much demand by Hollywood.
Old 01-09-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No I am just saying that because Swank is a much better actress than Witherspoon, Bullock, etc.
So what you mean is that Witherspoon isn't on Swank's shit list, but is on your shit list for not being as good as Swank.
Old 01-09-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what you mean is that Witherspoon isn't on Swank's shit list, but is on your shit list for not being as good as Swank.
Not a fan of either but Witherspoon IMO is not as good as Swank. But like I said before looks & popularity trump acting skills in Hollywood.
Old 01-09-13, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a fan of either but Witherspoon IMO is not as good as Swank. But like I said before looks & popularity trump acting skills in Hollywood.
So how does that explain Witherspoon?

I kid, I kid...
Old 01-09-13, 03:00 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
These actors are considered the worst ROI of all the major actors that Forbes surveyed. The fact that they might make a small profit isn't the point. Actors are paid on their perceived ability to bring in profit. I don't think doubling the budget is considered a big deal in Hollywood.
Old 01-09-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
These actors are considered the worst ROI of all the major actors that Forbes surveyed. The fact that they might make a small profit isn't the point. Actors are paid on their perceived ability to bring in profit. I don't think doubling the budget is considered a big deal in Hollywood.
In fact, the films may not have made a profit at all, since Forbes is just comparing one actor's salary to the overall gross on a film, not the complete cost of the film.

As the Forbes article points out, a rough rule of thumb is that a movie has to gross twice its production budget in order to break even. Studios, on average, recoup about half the gross from the studios (they can get as much as 90% of the gross on opening weekends, but that percentage decreases with time, which is why films are so heavily front-loaded nowadays).

There's additional revenue from other sources (overseas, video, etc.) but then there's additional costs as well (marketing, distribution, etc.). And it's impossible to know how much one film actually earns a studio. So again, rough rule of thumb.

For Eddie Murphy, here's a comparison of production budget vs domestic gross for his last few films:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/...ddiemurphy.htm

A Thousand Words
Domestic Total Gross: $18,450,127
Production Budget: $40 million

Tower Heist
Domestic Total Gross: $78,046,570
Production Budget: $75 million

Shrek Forever After
Domestic Total Gross: $238,736,787
Production Budget: $165 million

Imagine That
Domestic Total Gross: $16,123,323
Production Budget: $55 million

Now remembering that the studio only gets half the gross, only Shrek 4 broke even, barely. The others all lost money. they all lost money.

It's not totally clear what "last 3 films" Forbes used for Eddie Murphy, but if it was Shrek 4, A Thousand Words, and Tower Heist, then the combined loss was around $112 million.
Old 01-09-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So how does that explain Witherspoon?

I kid, I kid...
Old 03-24-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To compile our list, we used data on actors’ earnings gathered for our Celebrity 100 list.
We looked at the last three films each actor starred in over the last three years that opened in more than 2,000 theaters,
calculating the return on investment for the studios who pay his (or her) salary.

I was looking for a thread to bump and this is as good as any to dump on Sarah Jessica Parker.

I'm a sucker for rom-com's. The wife likes them so I get them because it's something I can put in that we can watch together. I'll admit it. I even like crappy ones like Couples Resort.

Last night we put in I Don't Know How SHe Does It. All I can say is I don't know why they made it. Very talented funny actors like Kelsay Grammer, Busy Phillips, Christina Hendricks, Seth meyers and Jane Curtain. There were a few chuckles but mostly a boring steaming pile of crap. I never disliked Parker but looking at her in this movie she is totally unbelieveable as a desireable woman. Why Brosnan lusts after her I'll never know. In addition to the horse face, she has that voice that sounds like nails on the chalkboard. And take a look at her hands sometime. Talk about man hands. God lady, keep away from my crank with those boney, veiny, old lady hands.

I bet after that so called movie she moved up the list. She must have quite the following from Sex.. that makes studios think they have a moneymaker.
Old 03-24-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I was looking for a thread to bump and this is as good as any to dump on Sarah Jessica Parker.

I'm a sucker for rom-com's. The wife likes them so I get them because it's something I can put in that we can watch together. I'll admit it. I even like crappy ones like Couples Resort.

Last night we put in I Don't Know How SHe Does It.
I like romcoms too, even Katherine Heigl and Jennifer Aniston. However I couldn't even finish IDKHSDI. Now that Sex and the City is done, SJP will not be a box office force ever again.
Old 03-24-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i am shocked at this number. what is the exchange rate in sugar cubes?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.