Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michelangelo Antonioni films -- Any suggestions?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Michelangelo Antonioni films -- Any suggestions?

Old 07-20-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Michelangelo Antonioni films -- Any suggestions?

As everyone said, start with L'Avventura. That movie made me fall in love with Monica Vitti and the small towns of Sicily.
Old 07-21-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I watched Red Desert (1964) starring Monica Vitti and Richard Harris about a troubled woman's desperate isolation in modern, industrialist society. Vitti plays Giuliana, a young mother who finds herself neglected by her husband after a serious car accident leaves her feeling constantly anxious and disorientated. She gets involved with her husband's colleague(Harris) who is overcome by her beauty, but she's never sure if he truly loves her or if she's just a fleeting thrill to him.

This is a moody and atmospheric film with a lot of amazing shots of Vitti stumbling through an Italian winter in the throes of industrial sprawl. This is about a woman struggling to find meaning and purpose in a repetitive and ugly world, and the different ways of coping with near-constant loneliness. The shots of polluted rivers and behemoth factories are somehow beautiful, and the way fog from the harbor envelopes and absorbs characters is pure cinema. The deliberate pace is not for everybody, but for people interested in an artistic portrayal of alienation and depression, this is a must-watch.
I might be in the minority, but I actually like Red Desert better than L'Avventura (which is still an excellent film). Red Desert is a masterpiece, but it's not for everyone. It has been lumped by some into the "as like watching paint dry" category.
Old 07-21-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I actually like Red Desert better than L'Avventura (which is still an excellent film). Red Desert is a masterpiece, but it's not for everyone. It has been lumped by some into the "as like watching paint dry" category.
It's only the second Antonioni film I've seen after Blow Up, but I really enjoyed it. I've got to seek out his isolation trilogy next. I can't imagine I'll be disappointed, Antonioni did some amazing things with the camera in Red Desert.
Old 07-21-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
It's only the second Antonioni film I've seen after Blow Up, but I really enjoyed it. I've got to seek out his isolation trilogy next. I can't imagine I'll be disappointed, Antonioni did some amazing things with the camera in Red Desert.
All of the films in that trilogy are great but for me L'Eclisse is the best. After the trilogy you should see The Passenger, another amazing film.
Old 07-22-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
All of the films in that trilogy are great but for me L'Eclisse is the best. After the trilogy you should see The Passenger, another amazing film.
Added to my Netflix queue, but this weekend I have The World of Kanako.