DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ever been to a movie theater in a different country? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/607592-ever-been-movie-theater-different-country.html)

Tarantino 12-31-12 08:45 AM

Ever been to a movie theater in a different country?

I saw The Dark Knight Rises in Jalisco, Mexico this summer (in English, Spanish subs). I was surprised at how nice their theater was. Everything was cheaper also ($5 for an IMAX showing). That's the only time I've seen a movie at a theater outside of the US.

GatorDeb 12-31-12 08:49 AM

Re: Ever been to a movie theater in a different country?

I was 12 when I moved to the U.S. from Venezuela, so yes :lol: Not since 1990, though.

dvdcooler 12-31-12 09:02 AM

I'm Canadian ... Once saw a movie in a US theater. Not much difference :p

E Unit 12-31-12 09:03 AM

When I was 17, I saw Pretty Woman in Madrid. First time I saw a venue serve beer and play commercials - in 35mm. On top of that, that was the first time I saw a nude woman swimming to advertise drinking water. Unusual fun time that was. Loved that they painted massive marquees for the movies above the theaters.

pjflyer 12-31-12 09:36 AM

I went to a theater in London last year. Biggest difference was I think there were 10 lengthy commercials before previews.

Osiris3657 12-31-12 09:48 AM

I used to live in Germany so I've been to the theater plenty of times there. It's the same as the US in terms of pricing and the theater setups themselves, however Germany tends to edit out really graphic violence.

For example, I saw Mel Gibson's "We Were Soldiers" in the US and traveled to Germany afterward. A friend there wanted to see it so we did and I noticed a lot of the violence had been edited.

TomOpus 12-31-12 10:10 AM

Many moons ago went to a movie in Hong Kong. Couple of things surprised us. When you bought your ticket, you picked out your seat. Also you could get a glass of beer.

E Unit 12-31-12 10:13 AM

Something recent at the Alamo Drafthouses is that they now require you to reserve your seat. I think it sucks ass really.

Why So Blu? 12-31-12 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 11522257)
I saw The Dark Knight Rises in Jalisco, Mexico this summer (in English, Spanish subs). I was surprised at how nice their theater was. Everything was cheaper also ($5 for an IMAX showing). That's the only time I've seen a movie at a theater outside of the US.

Really? I saw Avatar in Jalisco, as well. Which theater was it? It's a Cinepolis, right? This was in 2010, so I may be a little off.

They do have some groovy movie theaters in Mexico.

Tarantino 12-31-12 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11522331)
Really? I saw Avatar in Jalisco, as well. Which theater was it? It's a Cinepolis, right? This was in 2010, so I may be a little off.

They do have some groovy movie theaters in Mexico.

Yeah, it was Cinepolis, I think in Guadalajara. May have been Zapopan.

davidh777 12-31-12 10:26 AM

I studied abroad in London and saw some movies there. One big difference was tiered pricing--I think the balcony was cheaper than the main floor.

Going to a midnight showing of Blue Velvet then taking the public bus home was a little freaky.

Why So Blu? 12-31-12 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 11522341)
Yeah, it was Cinepolis, I think in Guadalajara. May have been Zapopan.

Yep, I was there.

Pizza 12-31-12 10:29 AM

I saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake in Montreal. It was in French and not knowing exactly what was being said and not being able to detect bad acting through some good dubbing made it scarier.

Hokeyboy 12-31-12 10:56 AM

The summer of 1986, I saw both Iron Eagle and The Karate Kid 2 in Santander, Spain. Both in Spanish. Was kind of a hoot :) Especially listening to Mister Miyagi sounding like Don Francisco...

jdslater1 12-31-12 11:17 AM

Really only seen films in cinemas in the US when I'm on holiday from the UK.
I like you have extended trailers and sneak peaks for films aswell as TV. Mixes it up.

In the UK we have about 10 minutes of adverts of crap before each film. And if you go a couple of times in a week you see the same adverts.
About 2 years ago they had this advert for a drink, a beer, and the advert ran for nearly 3 minutes as it was about going to this island and the guy meets the girl and they see a band so the whole advert was the song they eventually went to see.

I'm not getting that time back.

filmerp 12-31-12 11:21 AM

I saw Star Wars Ep III in Costa Rica. Film was in English with Spanish subtitles, and I could hear at least three people reading the subtitles to their mothers throughout the entire film.

jdslater1 12-31-12 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 11522345)
I studied abroad in London and saw some movies there. One big difference was tiered pricing--I think the balcony was cheaper than the main floor.

Going to a midnight showing of Blue Velvet then taking the public bus home was a little freaky.

They have changed that a little.
VUE, which is the main cinema chain over here have removed the middle section seats of all the screens and replaced them with wider "leather" chairs with bigger armrests and cup holders. Not amazing and if anything just pisses you off as it forces you to the sides.

Maxflier 12-31-12 11:31 AM

I went to one in Cancun while on my honeymoon back in '97, but can't for the life of me remember what I saw (probably since it was most likely a female friendly flick). I do remember though that Return of the Jedi was playing there.

Crocker Jarmen 12-31-12 11:47 AM

Since it was rated-R, my parents took me to the States to see Alien 3 at some crummy mall cineplex. I remember the audience bust a gut laughing whenever somebody in the movie swore.

In Germany, I went to see Fargo. I bought my ticket and started walking up the stairs to the auditoriums, and the ticket guy started screaming at me. You weren't allowed to be in the theater until 10 minutes before the movie was scheduled to start, I had to stand outside in the cold and wait a few more minutes.

I remember sitting in the theater eating hot dog weiners out of a package and drinking beer I thought I was being slick sneaking in (not realizing I could have bought there). Fargo played just as well dubbed.

Snapped this picture in France.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2...kface10001.jpg

Sondheim 12-31-12 12:11 PM

I saw The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in English with Czech subtitles while I was in Prague. I remember that most of the previews were for a mixture of American and French films. The theater itself was in a shopping mall, and was pretty much identical to the ones we have here.

I also have vague memories of seeing a few movies in the theater when my family lived in Russia for a few years when I was young. I specifically remember watching a dubbed Free Willy - which, in retrospect, was kind of hilarious. They didn't bother to remove the English language track - rather, a single male Russian speaker spoke over all the English dialogue. Though I couldn't speak Russian, I could still understand some of what was going on because there was always a slight delay before the Russian dubbing kicked in.

Dan 12-31-12 12:49 PM

I went to a pub in Ios, Greece (The Fun Pub!) that showed movies in a small room during the day. I think I watched the first Kill Bill there.
I saw Holy Motors, The Raid, The Hunger Games, and The Dark Knight Rises in Perth, Australia.
I've seen a bunch of movies in Denver, Pittsburgh, and Dallas.
I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 in Dublin, Ireland.

My favourite was probably the theatre where I saw The Hunger Games. It was $35/ticket, but the seats were like loveseats (with drink holders), and the popcorn and pop was unlimited. It was the same size as a normal theatre, but because the seats were so much bigger and spread out, the theatre only had an occupancy of about 50 (maybe less). It was pretty sweet.

DJariya 12-31-12 12:51 PM

I saw Final Destination in Bangkok. Thailand while visiting family back in 2000. In my last trip to Bangkok in 2002, I saw Austin Powers: Goldmember.

In Thailand, they make you stand up for the Thai National Anthem before the movie starts. The screen has the lyrics and a picture of the King.

3 years ago while on vacation in Singapore I went ahead and watched Green Zone.

Both were in their original audio tracks with subtitles.

One thing I liked was being able to choose your own seats.

When I was on vacation in Hong Kong back in 2006, I made it a point that I needed to see a Hong Kong action movie in a theatre. I saw "On the Edge" which starred Anthony Wong. One of the duller HK movies I have seen in recent years, but it was a good experience.

DRG 12-31-12 02:16 PM

The first movies I ever saw were in England when I was a kid. Aside from that, I've seen a few in Canada. Like dvdcooler said, not much difference.

Obi-Wanma 12-31-12 02:21 PM

I saw the first Resident Evil and Sin City at the same theater in Toronto on two different trips. Not really any different other than higher prices than I was used to paying

EDIT: Just remembered I also saw the first Underworld movie at a theater in Brampton, ON (just outside Toronto), on a buisness trip. Same experience.

majorjoe23 12-31-12 02:44 PM

I saw Kingdom of Heaven in England. I was surprised that not everyone was a chimney sweep or butler. A good 30% of the audience was normal people.