DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   George Lucas vs. Gene Roddenberry (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/607500-george-lucas-vs-gene-roddenberry.html)

FRwL 12-26-12 06:03 PM

George Lucas vs. Gene Roddenberry

Who do you admire more?

One flew warplanes crashing several times, became police captain to support his family, was also womanizer.

One was USC student.

TGM 12-26-12 06:09 PM

Re: George Lucas vs. Gene Roddenberry

Roddenberry didn't live long enough to completely fuck up his legacy, so he wins by default.

dekker 12-26-12 06:43 PM

This is a tough poll but I went for George Lucas. But I prefer his work from 1971 to 1981 which encompasses THX-1138, Amercian Graffiti, Stars Wars, Empire and Indiana Jones.

Gene Rodenberry is a VERY close second. I can't imagine a world without Star Trek.
Actually imagine if neither of them had been born- no Spock, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Captain Kirk, Klingons...it doesn't bear thinking about.

dan30oly 12-26-12 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 11518599)
Roddenberry didn't live long enough to completely fuck up his legacy, so he wins by default.

This

The Cow 12-26-12 06:53 PM

He lived longer than George is now, he lived long enough. He just didn't.

dekker 12-26-12 06:56 PM

I'm not a big fan of Howard the Duck, Ewoks, Jar Jar Binks, Phantom Menace or Greed shooting first.

But I still say without George Lucas there would be no Star Wars period and no Indy.

bluetoast 12-26-12 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dekker (Post 11518627)
But I still say without George Lucas there would be no Star Wars period and no Indy.

And no ILM, THX, campaigns for film preservation, funding a Kurosawa movie, donating billions of dollars to charity.

Nick Martin 12-26-12 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11518643)
And no ILM, THX, campaigns for film preservation, funding a Kurosawa movie, donating billions of dollars to charity.

Oh the irony. :)

And there would be no Howard the Duck, Ewoks, Jar Jar Binks, Phantom Menace or Greedo shooting first. Cuts both ways!

fumanstan 12-26-12 08:01 PM

Lucas.

Nick Martin 12-26-12 08:27 PM

This isn't about a "what if" though.

It's not about "without _____ there would be no_____" and it can just as easily go the other way with all the screwups and stupidity.

It's about what is.

What we have and therefore who you prefer based on what we have.

For that reason I voted Roddenberry. I'd never vote for Lucas. I'm sick of Star Wars, I never liked Indiana Jones (and gave it another chance last weekend, having not seen those movies in over 20 years) and couldn't care less about his other stuff. He didn't create the THX trailers and that's about the only thing I like since those are pretty cool for surround demos. Not enough to make me care either way about Lucas' involvement. I voted Roddenberry and I'm not even a fan of the original Star Trek aside from their own movies.

Shannon Nutt 12-26-12 09:46 PM

I know there's a lot of hate for Lucas in this forum, so while I think Roddenberry had the better vision (let's face it - Lucas just updated mythological themes), Lucas is by far the better human being. If stories are true, Roddenberry could be a real bastard at times to deal with/work with.

You can also argue that there's more in Star Wars that comes from Lucas than what Roddenbery came up with for Star Trek. The vast majority of what w know as the Star Wars Universe originated from Lucas' mind. On the the other hand, there's a ton of stuff (major stuff...not incidental things) we associate with Star Trek that came from other writers and/or suggestions by actors, and not from Roddenberry at all.

So while I think Star Trek is the better concept, I think Lucas is more deserving of admiration.

JohnnyMovie 12-26-12 10:51 PM

Definitely George Lucas and fan of Star Wars & Indiana Jones movie. Not a fan of Roddenberry included not a fan of Star Trek.

TomOpus 12-26-12 11:01 PM

American Graffiti
Star Wars
Indiana Jones

Three of my favorites of all time.

bluetoast 12-26-12 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin (Post 11518647)
Oh the irony. :)

And there would be no Howard the Duck, Ewoks, Jar Jar Binks, Phantom Menace or Greedo shooting first. Cuts both ways!

Pretty sure I understand that considering I:

a.) read the guy's post.
b.) read the guy's positive points.
c.) added to the positive points.

So...nothing I said contradicts anything of what he said.

Nick Martin 12-26-12 11:20 PM

^^why bother revising to number those things after the fact?

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11518731)
, Lucas is by far the better human being. If stories are true, Roddenberry could be a real bastard at times to deal with/work with.

The man has been dead since 1991. Does that make even the slightest shred of difference now? Did we as viewers interact with these two people directly?

Besides according to untold dozens of fanboys, Lucas is a serial childhood rapist. ;)

Abob Teff 12-26-12 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by dekker (Post 11518619)
Actually imagine if neither of them had been born- no Spock,

How would people have raised babies without Roddenberry?

bluetoast 12-26-12 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin (Post 11518797)
^^why bother revising to number those things after the fact?

You mean my post just now or the earlier one? As for the earlier, mainly because people vilify him because of the PT and revisionism yet forget about other aspects of his career. If the latter then because I thought you misunderstood what I was getting at.

Ash Ketchum 12-27-12 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11518731)
The vast majority of what w know as the Star Wars Universe originated from Lucas' mind. On the the other hand, there's a ton of stuff (major stuff...not incidental things) we associate with Star Trek that came from other writers and/or suggestions by actors, and not from Roddenberry at all.

Roddenberry's idea pool had some genetic variety. Lucas's gene pool was inbred.

Nick Danger 12-27-12 06:15 AM

Lucas. I prefer fun to preachy.

Jaymole 12-27-12 07:05 AM

Definitely Roddenberry...way more original and visionary.

Mattflix 12-27-12 07:29 AM

Lucas. As crazy as he's become, up until about 1990 he had some damn impressive contributions to moviemaking.

Wasn't Star Trek essentially out of Roddenberry's hands as early as Wratch fo Khan?

JANK 12-27-12 07:47 AM

Roddenberry. Lucas' legacy determined my vote. He had a good start but blew it.

kd5 12-27-12 08:12 AM

Roddenberry. Can't imagine a world without Star Trek (in one form or another). -kd5-

banthafett 12-27-12 10:08 AM

Pretty easy choice.

foofighters7 12-27-12 10:54 AM

at least Lucas had something to begin with. Sure, he has screwed it over but at least there was something there to start.

Roddenberry didn't have squat even from the start. He didn't make anything interesting so he couldn't mess it up as badly. Shoot, I'd have possibly liked it more if he screwed with his junk. Might have turned out better.

Basically this will just boil down to a stew of Star Trek bashing...which I'm fine with.