Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Minecraft: The Story of Mojang (12/22/12)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-21-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

A feature-length documentary focusing on the game Minecraft and the gaming studio behind it, Mojang is premiering on Xbox Live gold tomorrow.

It's a 1 hour, 45 minute documentary by the documentary team 2 Player Productions, expanded from an 20 minute short via Kickstarter funding.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEdspVDMxw

Kickstarter backers get download links today, 12/21.

Tomorrow, 12/22, it "airs" on Xbox Live Gold as a one-time stream.
Xbox LIVE Gold Members in Europe can watch it at : 7:00 PM GMT / 8:00 PM CET
Xbox LIVE Gold Members in the US can catch it at : 8:00 PM ET/5:00 PM PT
This is a one-time showing and will not be available on-demand following the broadcast.
The documentary will be available for purchase on DVD or DRM-free download on 12/23:
http://www.2playerproductions.com/ne.../381-minecraft

You can watch the original short here:
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode...0-minute-short

2 Player Productions is the team behind the feature-length documentary Reformat the Planet, about the chiptune music genre. They also did season one of Penny Arcade: The Series. They've recently been working with the game studio Double Fine documenting their new adventure game as well as their Amnesia Fortnight game jam.

Film review:
http://kotaku.com/5970346/minecraft-...-kotaku-review

Xbox Live info:
http://majornelson.com/2012/12/17/mi...this-saturday/
Old 01-09-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Minecraft: The Story of Mojang (12/22/12)

In order to fight piracy, the documentary team uploaded a "screener" copy (watermarked, scrolling text) to bitorrent site Pirate Bay themselves:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/e...ir-minecraft-d

The torrent description and scrolling text in the video urge people to buy the legitimate version.
Old 01-09-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, I play minecraft, it's fun, but this documentary looks ridiculous. It's not that special. It's a freaking video game for crying out loud!

What kind of pathetic person acts as though what they do in the video world means anything at all.

Guess what, NO, you didn't actually build anything. Anyone can do this, you are not special.

Good game though, but certainly not documentary good.
Old 01-09-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
Look, I play minecraft, it's fun, but this documentary looks ridiculous. It's not that special. It's a freaking video game for crying out loud!
Movies get making-of documentaries made all the time. I don't see why video games are necessarily less worthy.

What kind of pathetic person acts as though what they do in the video world means anything at all.

Guess what, NO, you didn't actually build anything. Anyone can do this, you are not special.
I assume you're talking about the creation of items/environments in the game, not the game itself.

The documentary actually touches on this, how the game (which in one mode could be seen as "unlimited Legos") sort of "democratizes" creation. People don't need to know advanced modeling tools, they can just built items block by block.

However, the focus isn't on that. It's mostly on the creation and expansion of the game, as well as the company behind it, and the effects of the success on the creator and the industry as a whole.
Old 01-09-13, 02:13 PM

Good game though, but certainly not documentary good.
Yeah, I love Minecraft, but it is kind of creepy the cultish nature of fans of these indie games. People going around forums talking about 'Notch' as if he is a friend of theirs or something, and raging at any criticism of the game or its creator. They idolize him. They have their own convention for chris'sakes. This documentary seems like it was created by and for some of these obsessive-type fans.

To be fair though, Minecraft has proven pretty influential over the last few years. Especially the economics of it, the way he sold the game as an alpha and developed it into a full game as it gained popularity. This method has become increasingly common (for better or worse). The democratization of funding in general has been huge as of late, allowing indie developers with good ideas to blow up.
Old 01-09-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a freaking video game for crying out loud!

Guessing you haven't seen King of Kong then. One of the best docs of the last 20 years, IMO. Lots of love for it in this forum.
Old 01-09-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'm missing something but I played Minecraft once and I felt like I was designing levels in Doom in 1993.
Old 01-09-13, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I played Minecraft once and I felt like I was designing levels in Doom in 1993.
Then you lack imagination.

Seriously though, it's just fun to tinker around in the sandbox world. And the procedurally generated worlds (which have improved mightily, if you haven't played in a while) offer near infinite variety to do so. It's fun starting out with nothing and slowly exploring and collecting new items to craft ever more complex items and structures. I mean I experience palatable anxiety if venture out into the world without a map and lose my way.

I look forward to the day when someone else expands on the concept though. Minecraft is pretty limited and could be a lot more feature rich. I would like to see more adventure elements, better NPCs (like, actual cultures around the world, an economy, etc.), and better graphics and physics. In particular more advanced automated machinery to create.

I would also like better MP code. It would be nice to be able to jump into friends' game worlds with them without having to set up a server and everything, but I doubt Mojang has the resources to make that possible.
Old 01-09-13, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
Guessing you haven't seen King of Kong then. One of the best docs of the last 20 years, IMO. Lots of love for it in this forum.

I did see it. The problem with comparing the two is that one is 30 years older, was one of the first major games, has had time to become 'classic' and has had millions of people play it over the years. It's become part of popular culture.

The other is a relatively new game that is mostly only known to gamers gamers (although it's clearly growing).

'King of Kong' was a very good doc. Not the best from the past 20 years but I agree one of the better ones.
Old 01-09-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Yeah, I love Minecraft, but it is kind of creepy the cultish nature of fans of these indie games. People going around forums talking about 'Notch' as if he is a friend of theirs or something, and raging at any criticism of the game or its creator. They idolize him. They have their own convention for chris'sakes. This documentary seems like it was created by and for some of these obsessive-type fans.
I can't say about other fans, but the documentary crew isn't some myopic Minecraft obsessed group. They made behind the scenes documentaries on some other video games before covering Minecraft (Infamous 1 & 2, Uncharted 3, Jack and Daxter HD Collection), and are behind-the-scenes at Double Fine right now. I think they're just interested in gaming.
http://www.2playerproductions.com/projects/rtp

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
That's crazy, they're nothing alike. Doom had angles.

Minecraft isn't known for its graphic fidelity. It's more about what you can do in the world than how well the world looks to you. Again, it's like Legos. Items made with Legos never look that great, and are blocky, but you made them.