Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Spider-Man: Far From Home (Extended Cut) (2019)

The additional 4-minutes of footage was enjoyable but not necessary.

Saw it for $3.75 at a local Second-Run Theater, so I'm definitely not mad.
Old 09-03-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Dead Don't Die - 4/5

Loved the mixture of gore and social commentary with Jarmusch’s deadpan humor.
Old 09-03-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The Dead Don't Die - 4/5

Loved the mixture of gore and social commentary with Jarmusch’s deadpan humor.
It's on my list of films to see. If it ever gets a cinema release here though...
Old 09-03-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Beach Bum - Okay, first off, I was a huge (gigantic) fan of Spring Breakers. I love that movie. I think it's a masterpiece. I've probably watched it a dozen times. This one really intrigued me, and I was dying to watch it. And you know what? I thought it was pretty awesome. The humour is definitely odd, but I found myself constantly chuckling. I liked Snoop Dogg, I loved Zac Efron, I though Jonah Hill was pretty decent, and Isla Fisher was awesome. I'll probably have to watch it a few more times to fully appreciate it, but I thought it was a pretty solid movie. Harmony Korine can be pretty hit or miss for me (for example, I absolutely HATED Gummo), but I have to admit his movies are always interesting and different. I'd recommend this to fans of McConaughey, as I think he was great in his role...Just a f**ked up movie, in my mind...And I like that...

Also read the book Wild and Crazy Guys, all about the comedians in the 70s and 80s (Belushi, Chase, Murray, Moranis, Candy, Murphy, Martin). Really solid book. I learned a lot about some of the comedians that I hadn't known before. My favourite parts were probably about Moranis...I learned a lot about him...Made me want to watch Ghostbusters and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids again...He just seemed like a real humble dude that had to deal with personal tragedy (his wife dying) and just kind of walked away from Hollywood...I have a lot of respect for that guy, and it kind of sucked to hear things like Steve Martin basically saying he never even hears from Moranis anymore...In one anecdote, he basically said that when Moranis walked away from Hollywood he pretty much stopped talking to anyone...
Old 09-04-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

So wrong on so many levels. Horrible acting and not funny at all.

You know a movie like this could never come out today.

Heigl was ashamed of being in Knocked Up but did not complain about this one.
Old 09-04-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was awful
Old 09-05-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Guns (1990) — This is not a good movie though I will say, it is a slight step up from Savage Beach and Picasso Trigger for whatever that's worth. The acting is all around terrible, though Roberta Vasquez at least possessed some on-screen charisma. For the most part I watched this utterly miffed on what this was about.

From what I gathered, Juan Degas (Erik Estrada) is trying to transport guns using Hawaii as a stopping point to refuel on the way to South America. He wants to kill these agents because... distraction? I think. Seems like he caused more trouble going this route (and yes, I realize revenge was part of the plan as Donna's father once tried to take him down, just seems dumb all things considered).

That said, can't I wasn't entertained, which I couldn't say about Andy Sidaris's other movies. 2.5/5
Old 09-05-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So so romantic comedy

Boring and really slow though nice to see Ashley Greene again
Old 09-05-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

One Last Thing - Netflix. I enjoyed this film and it helps that I really like the two leads, Wendell Pierce, and Jurnee Smollett-Bell. Joanne Froggatt was also solid in a nice supporting role.
Old 09-06-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ma (2019) — So-so thriller, that could've been straight out of the 90s, features some decent performances, particularly Octavia Spencer and Diana Silvers. Nothing special and outside of the language and sexual content, kind of feels like something that would be on the Lifetime Movies network or something. Probably worth a rental, not much more. 2.5/5
Old 09-06-19, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12 Monkeys (1995) 4.0/5

A prisoner (Bruce Willis) is sent back in time to retrieve a pure sample of a virus that had wiped out much of the earth's population when it mutated and that had forced survivors to live underground sealed off from earth's toxic atmosphere.

Entertaining Terry Gilliam film. Loved Brad Pitt's portrayal of the spastic son of a Nobel Prize-winning virologist.

Vertigo (1958) 3.5/5

When two of the '12 Monkeys' characters visit a cinema Hitchcock's 'Vertigo' is playing, which prompted a re-watch.

A police detective (Jimmy Stewart) forced to retire when afflicted by acrophobia is asked by a wealthy businessman he hasn't seen since their college days to follow the businessman's spouse (Kim Novak) who he says has been behaving strangely.

Enjoyed the suspense-building of the first half of the film and the outdoor scenes -- must be interesting for people who live in the Bay area to watch this film and see streets as they were 6 decades ago. Was less enthralled by the second half of the film.

Read somewhere that Vertigo is a film that requires several viewings to fully appreciate. Guess I'll have to revisit it several times before I'm convinced that a 50-something detective could become so infatuated with someone half his age, or that a 20-something bombshell could genuinely fall for someone old enough to be her father.
Old 09-06-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It premiered on HBO last weekend

I wonder why Netflix does not carry the Blu-ray of the movie.

Not a huge McCarthy fan but I can see why she got a Oscar nom for this and it was a good movie.
Old 09-07-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Sing Street - boring and formulaic. I only enjoyed the music but didn’t thought it was all that well incoporated into the film. Silly ass ending. 2/5
Old 09-07-19, 01:16 PM

Dolores Claiborne (1995) 4.0/5

"Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold on to."

Book and movie combo. Stephen King's '92 novel is a 305 pg. monologue so I was curious to see how it could be adapted to screen. Very well as it turned out -- imo the screenplay adds depth to the characters and their relationships that was missing in the novel.

When an elderly invalid dies after falling down the stairs of her Maine island mansion her local live-in caregiver (Kathy Bates in a strong performance) is suspected of murdering her. This prompts the return to the island of the caregiver's estranged daughter (Jennifer Jason Leigh) and a mainland detective (Christopher Plummer) who's convinced the death of the caregiver's spouse 18 years earlier was not an accident.

Filmed entirely in beautiful Nova Scotia Canada.

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 09-26-19 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do or Die (1991) — Pretty much more of the same from Andy Sidaris with T&A and bad acting combined with terrible writing. At least the plot this go around wasn't as over-complicating compared with the others, though still don't understand why these villains (this time played by Pat Morita) don't just target the entire "Agency" rather than the two agents. Oh well, at least Roberta Vasquez was easy on the eyes and possessed some on-screen presence compared with the others. 2.25/5
Old 09-07-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is called Men in Black International but a woman is in one of the lead roles?
Old 09-07-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a lot of LOL moments and boring
Old 09-07-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

I visited my parents last weekend, and as usual it was an opportunity to watch some old and/or wholesome movies!

I liked both of these quite a bit:

First was the 1952 film The Lusty Men, starring Robert Mitchum and Susan Hayward. Mitchum plays a retired rodeo champ who mentors an up-and-comer on the circuit. The new guy is brash and foolhardy, and his girl wants him to settle down. Mitchum falls for the girl, but can he give up the rodeo life?

Next up was a 2005 BBC television production of the Thomas Hardy novel Under the Greenwood Tree. I haven't read the novel, but I did read a couple of his other books ages ago, and this story was of a kind with those: rural Victorian England, class conflict, family drama, romance, and social prudishness suppressing more basic instincts. The film was well done--quaint with a light tone and picturesque setting.
Old 09-08-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Memories of Murder (2003)

Excellent early Bong Joon-Ho (Snowpiercer, The Host, Parasite - winner this year of the Palme d'Or at Cannes film fest.) psychological thriller about a city cop from Seoul who joins a small town police force for an ungoing inquest about a series of murders and rapes. At first, the more intellectual detetctive is shocked by the local cops' methods of witness-beating, false evidence, dictated confessions, etc, but as the inquest is going nowhere and the murders continue, he'll start to go 'native' in his own way.

More a character study and a psychological drama than a proper thriller but well done and interesting.
Old 09-08-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vampires (1998) — Never been a big fan of this movie, and of vampires in general, but seeing it again after many years, did kind of enjoy it primarily for James Woods and to some extent Thomas Ian Griffith's over-the-top performance (and Sheryl Lee is easy on the eyes for sure). Certainly not top tier John Carpenter and the editing was a mess, but still somewhat entertaining. 3.0/5
Old 09-08-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that funny
Old 09-08-19, 08:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Run (1991)...What a fun, breezy movie. Always loved the young Dempsey movies. Didn’t realize it had such a high body count and he does actually kill one person, with an uzi of all things. Always remembered and loved the final kill though. Good, cheesy stuff.
Old 09-09-19, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Le doulos - One of my all-time favourite Mellville films. In my mind, this only falls slightly behind Le samourai and Army of Shadows, but pretty much all Mellville films are great. And just like the recently released Bob le flambeur, Kino really went to great lengths to make sure these transfers look outstanding. Loved Belmondo in this, and I loved, loved the the twist at the end, which is often the case with Melville movies. The soundtrack was also great, and the movie features some of Melville's most brutal and vicious characters (women are not spared in this one)...One of the greatest movies of 1962...Can't wait to check out some of the features...
Old 09-09-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Le doulos - One of my all-time favourite Mellville films. In my mind, this only falls slightly behind Le samourai and Army of Shadows, but pretty much all Mellville films are great. And just like the recently released Bob le flambeur, Kino really went to great lengths to make sure these transfers look outstanding. Loved Belmondo in this, and I loved, loved the the twist at the end, which is often the case with Melville movies. The soundtrack was also great, and the movie features some of Melville's most brutal and vicious characters (women are not spared in this one)...One of the greatest movies of 1962...Can't wait to check out some of the features...
Agree with you. I do prefer Le samourai and Army of Shadows. By a good length too. There were tons of french 'polar' films (cop films) in the 60s but Melville was certainly the master. Henri Verneuil did some great ones too but mostly copying Melville's style. There were also a ton of ordinary ones too. I always enjoy watching one once in a while, reminds me of how french cinema has changed over the years and not always for the best...
Old 09-09-19, 08:17 PM

The Devil's Brigade (1968) 1.5/5

Ostensibly a drama about the 1st Special Service Force, an elite American-Canadian commando unit formed in '42 and specially trained in Montana for guerilla action in Nazi-occupied Norway. After the Norwegian project was abandoned the unit distinguished itself by capturing heavily fortified German positions at Monte La Difensa and Monte La Remetanea in '43, the Battle of Anzio, and the capture of islands off the south of France before being disbanded in '44. According to wiki, the 1800-man unit accounted for 12,000 German casualties, 7,000 captured prisoners, and sustained an attrition rate of 600%.

A Force member apparently commented that the film was an entertaining war movie, but sheer nonsense as a piece of accurate history. With its heavy reliance on cliches and stereotypes I did not find the film entertaining - the only interesting thing for me was seeing "Archie Bunker" (Carrol O'Connor) in a dramatic role.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.