Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-26-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Truck Stop Women (1974)

The start-and-stop nature of the film hurts the overall pacing, as does the odd tonal changes.

At least the finale is solid.
Old 01-26-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drumline (2002)

Much of the film is forgettable out a fantastic performance from Orlando Jones and fun Marching Band Sequences.
Old 01-26-19, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

World on a Wire (1973)

West German TV mini-series directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. A supercomputer is used to simulate a world in which the behavior of 9000+ "identity units" is studied to determine future marketing trends. All but one of the "identity units" is unaware that their world is a simulation and when things begin to go awry one is left to wonder whether the real world one level above might also be a simulation. Interesting virtual reality film from a time before virtual reality existed, based on a 1964 novel (Simulacron-3) by American SF writer Daniel F. Galouye.

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 01-26-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 05:23 PM

Roadhouse (1989)

After 3.5 hours of German audio, English subtitles, and having my retinas seared by the garish 1970s colours & styles of World on a Wire I needed to watch something mindless. This one -- which is apparently listed among The 100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made -- fit the bill. A bouncer (Patrick Swayze) is hired to clean up a Missouri roadhouse where his involvement with the local doctor (Kelly Lynch) eventually lands him in cross-hairs of the local power broker (Ben Gazzara). Toronto-born jazz & blues musician Jeff Healey -- who was blinded by a rare form of cancer before his first birthday and who died too young at 41 -- also appears in the film.
Old 01-26-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I was young when I saw Roadhouse and had funny feelings below the waist when I saw Kelly Lynch.
Old 01-26-19, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I was young when I saw Roadhouse and had funny feelings below the waist when I saw Kelly Lynch.
LOL

Yes, Kelly Lynch's performance in some scenes could certainly give rise to funny feelings.

Old 01-27-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1

World on a Wire (1973)

West German TV mini-series directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. A supercomputer is used to simulate a world in which the behavior of 9000+ "identity units" is studied to determine future marketing trends. All but one of the "identity units" is unaware that their world is a simulation and when things begin to go awry one is left to wonder whether the real world one level above might also be a simulation. Interesting virtual reality film from a time before virtual reality existed, based on a 1964 novel (Simulacron-3) by American SF writer Daniel F. Galouye.
Although I'm not a die-hard Fassbinder fan like some, I enjoyed World on a Wire very much. The imagined futuristic fashions in clothes and set dressing are very 70s and dated in a nice way. But the mindboggling reality/computer simulation was nicely done. A bit like in The Matrix but more an intellectual look at the process than an action one. I read a few books by Galouye (I think he wrote only 4 or 5) and they were all enjoyable.
Old 01-27-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Point Blank (1967)

I preferred it second time around. John Boorman's first film (I think) is strangely edited for an action film. Very daring for the time in its use of brief flasbacks and cross cutting and the sound from different scenes mixing. Can't say I ever liked Lee Marvin but he's efficient in this as the typical male loner monolith. Angie Dickinson is sizzling as always (although her hair cut was not her best!). And I like the open ending as well.
Basically the story of a thief who gets double crossed by his partner and will spend the whole film getting revenge and trying to his money back, going against 'the organisation' and going up one step at a time.
Old 01-27-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

La belle verte (1996)

Naive but feelgood ecological movie from french director Coline Serrault (3 Men and a Cradle, the nice french one not the stupid american remake). Story of an alien who comes to earth to see if humanity has evolved since her race's last visit but finds people arrogant, angry, competitive and with no respect for nature or the environment. Things her race have left in the past and grown out of. She'll try and teach a few earthlings about a better way of life...
A few good laughs and a few scenes that make us think (things haven't improved with our destructive way of life since the film came out) but more a nice light cautionary tale than a profound philosophical thing. Still, watchable.
Old 01-27-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Throw Momma from the Train (1987)

Another one I didn't care much for back when but rather enjoyed this time around. The chemistry between DeVito (who also directed) and Christal is nice and some of the situations are funny. Ann Ramsey is perfect as the annoying bullying old lady (as she was in The Goonies) and the script nicely trots along.
A struggling writer gets entangled in a 'Strangers on a Train' situation with one of his students who offers to killl his ex-wife if he'll kill his mom...
Old 01-27-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Land of the Dead (2005)

Never cared for this one and a second viewing didn't improve my opinion of it. Dennis Hopper overplays as the mean rich businessman and the plot of 'zombies' who get their memories back and just want to return to a 'normal' life is idiotic.
Old 01-27-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Judge Dredd (1995)

Laughable in many ways but endearing in its comic book looks and story. Worth rewatching every decade or so!
In a futuristic violent world, super-cops are called 'Judges' and can implement justice on the spot and kill criminals who they've 'judged'. When a renegade judge starts killing all the judges, Dredd is framed as the culprit but will team up with a rookie (hot Diane Lane) to find the real killer.
Old 01-27-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - Still enjoyable after all these years (despite the DVD only being in Full-Frame)...I like this movie. Rick Moranis is great. The story is pretty awesome. Also like Matt Frewer as the angry neighbour. This is the type of movie I could see fitting in Shout's "Shout Select" line...If they somehow managed to license it from Disney...

The Mighty Ducks - Another childhood favourite. Movie holds up well. Estevez is good, and the plot isn't that cheesy. It's a fun movie. Probably watching the sequel later on tonight or tomorrow...
Old 01-27-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Dunston Checks In - Don't know why, but I love this movie. Probably cause I first watched it as a kid, but I think it holds up pretty well. I've always liked Jason Alexander, who is very good in this, and Faye Dunaway is also good playing a "bitch". Paul Reubens also has a small role. I also liked that the DVD was in Widescreen (okay, Full-Screen, but flip the disc and it's Widescreen). Just a funny movie. Probably more suited to people that have kids, as they would love the movie...
Old 01-27-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Polar (2019)

While Jonas Akerlund's hyper-stylized approach works for the film's approach to violence, it doesn't work anywhere else.
Old 01-27-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 981 Likes on 608 Posts

Train to Busan - Korean zombie flick. I liked it. This is a 'fast zombie' movie, the infected turn almost immediately and they run at human speeds. Once the action starts, it doesn't really let up until the end. The movie does s good job of developing some of the side characters enough that you feel the impact when one of them dies. The train setting provides some interesting challenges for the characters. I watched on Netflix.
Old 01-27-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Scooby-Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost (2019) — Pretty standard DTV Sccoby-Doo movie with the bonus of serving as a finale to The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo show from the mid-80s which lasted only one season without a conclusion. 3.25/5
Old 01-27-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85
How was it? I love most Wim Wenders films, and hadn't even heard about this one...I also like McAvoy and Vikander...
It was not awful but could have been better but probably better than what is out right now
Old 01-28-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was pretty good.

John David Washington (Denzel's son and the lead from Black Klannsman) was in it.
Old 01-29-19, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Although I'm not a die-hard Fassbinder fan like some, I enjoyed World on a Wire very much. The imagined futuristic fashions in clothes and set dressing are very 70s and dated in a nice way. But the mindboggling reality/computer simulation was nicely done. A bit like in The Matrix but more an intellectual look at the process than an action one. I read a few books by Galouye (I think he wrote only 4 or 5) and they were all enjoyable.
Read somewhere that this was Fassbinder's only SF film before he OD'd at 37.
Was Simulcon-3 among the Galouye books you read? If yes, was World on a Wire fairly close to the book?
Old 01-29-19, 12:49 AM

Straw Dogs (1971)

A socially awkward American mathematician (Dustin Hoffman) and his attractive but immature English spouse (Susan George) move to an English village where their expectation of a quiet life is soon shattered. Saw this some years ago but it must have been an edited-for-TV version as I didn't recall the shocking rape scene. Up to that point I was enjoying the scenic Cornish setting and the attitudes of the English lads, which seemed similar to what one sometimes encounters in rural North America. The uncensored version of Peckinpah's film still has the ability to shock nearly 50 years after its release.

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 01-29-19 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 01:21 AM

Monster (2003)

Charlize Theron is virtually unrecognizable in her portrayal of serial killer Aileen Wuornos, a performance for which she won the Oscar for Best Actress. The DVD's "Making of" feature includes some footage of Theron's beauty being transformed in Makeup. Perhaps that could be the concept for a new reality TV show: Extreme Makeunder??

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 01-29-19 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 01:40 AM

Toys (1992)

A military officer inherits a toy factory and decides to transform it from a manufacturer of old-fashioned toys to one producing state-of-the-art war toys. Low-ratings on both imdb (5.0) and Rotten Tomatoes (4.1) but I found myself smiling often due to the surreal settings and lame jokes.
Old 01-29-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1
Read somewhere that this was Fassbinder's only SF film before he OD'd at 37.
Was Simulcon-3 among the Galouye books you read? If yes, was World on a Wire fairly close to the book?
No i didn'T read that one. I didn't know him before and was curious to check his work after I'd seen WoaW, specially since he is highly praised by other scifi writers but never was a 'star' writer. Maybe because he only wrote 5 novels total or something like that. I will someday read Simulacron for sure but not while the movie is still fresh in my mind. I remember reading his first one where people live in darkness in caves and another called "Les seigneurs des sphères" in french but no idea in english.
If you like scifi you should try him, very well written and intelligent stories.
Old 01-29-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Highlander III: The Sorcerer (1994)

I worked on this one in the 90s (on-set sfx assistant) when it was shot in Montréal and hadn't seen it since the local premiere for the crew. It was pretty awful then and still is now. But then I had trouble being impartial since the terrible filming experince was still too fresh - the british director, dop and cameraman were all assholes high on coke all the time. The later even collapsed during shooting and had to be replaced for a few days by a local cameraman! The female lead was not friendly at all and very moody & the winter was cold as hell and we shot a lot of stuff ouside at night freezing our butts off! - so I was glad to rewatch it. It brought back a lot of memories but boy is the film awful. Mario Van Peebles although very nice with the crew was badly overplaying his role (copied from the villain in the first film, voice and crazy car chase included) and Lambert (also friendly) cannot act ever. The female lead 'issues' with the production (or Lambert, we could never tell) made her into a cold character that leaves us totally not caring for her. Just a waste of time for most I would think.
I wish they would have stuck with their catch phrase and had applied it to the franchise: "There can be only one"!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.