Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Sabrina (1954)

I'm always amazed that Humphrey Bogart could be seen as a ladies' man in those years! He was not particularly good looking, small, had slumped shoulders and wore pants up to his rib cage! Here he plays a millionaire businessman from a rich family trying to prevent his brother from marrying their chauffeur's daughter (Audrey Hepburn) and thus disgracing the good name of the family. I guess the end is easy to see...
The prince and the pauper Hollywood style. Luckily it was directed by Billy Wilder and has that nice humorous touch of his that turns a possibly melodramatic script into a lovely romantic comedy.
Old 12-22-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985)

Not being an english-spekaing person, this kids' tv show was never part of my culture. I heard of it first in university anf then when Paul Reubens made the news for his arrest for masturbating in a cinema. But seing it was a Tim Burton film and has a kind of cult status I picked it up cheap and was curious to watch it. Pretty much what I expected from a kid show that turned into an adult cult phenomenon: Amusing and annoying. Funny and touching. Silly and spectacular. Overall not a waste of time but I won't go running to get the other Pee Wee films. Glad I saw it, can now check that box.
It was actually an adult cult phenomenon that turned into a kids show.
Old 12-22-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I Still See You (2018) — Interesting concept ruined by a half-baked mystery and a "twist" that anyone could see coming early on. Still, I do like Bella Thorne, so god bless her heart for wading through some poor writing. 2.0/5
Old 12-23-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Grumpy Old Men. Caught this on TV a little while back and found it hilarious so I bought the Blu-Ray double-feature with the sequel. A great, and I feel, underrated movie. I remember watching this as a kid and I liked it enough, but it's really grown on me. Love Matthau and Lemmon in this, and Ann-Margret is sublime. But it's Burgess Meredith that really steals this movie (as well as the sequel). Kevin Pollak is also good in a relatively small role...Also, the movie is very re-watchable...I've probably watched it three times since getting the Blu-Ray...I can almost just put it on in the background while I'm cooking or reading a book...A great movie...

Grumpier Old Men. Not quite as good as the first, but I still love this one. Burgess Meredith is even better in this one (the end credits, where they show a bunch of outtakes that he did, might just be the best part of the movie). Very poignant at times, but the comedy comes through...Wish they had been around longer to make a third one, but I'll take this...And Sophia Loren was a great addition, and she looked absolutely fantastic in this movie...

Bat*21. Had never even heard of this movie until Kino Lorber released it on Blu-Ray. With Gene Hackman and Danny Glover, I was sold. Great Vietnam movie that pretty damn harrowing at times. Loved the relationship between the two characters, and loved how Hackman's character was so conflicted about committing violent acts as he had previously only approached the conflict from the air, and had never actually been on land...It was just a solid movie...

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. Pretty good (and creepy) Curtis Hanson movie that's only drawback is that there are a few plot holes during the last 40 minutes or so. But, man, is the beginning great. Rebecca De Mornay is insanely creepy as the nanny, and Matt McCoy is great as the oblivious husband. Sciorra is also great, as she slowly realizes what is going on. Julianne Moore has a small but vital role. Overall, the direction was very good, and I loved the upper North-West setting...

The Gingerbread Man. Had always been meaning to see this Robert Altman movie, and? It was good. Not sure if it was great, but it was good. Loved the New Orleans setting. I thought the acting was great all around. And, while you could maybe see a couple twists before they happened, you'd really only realize what was going to happen a minute or two before-hand, so the movie really did a great job of keeping you in suspense. My favourite actors in the movie were Robert Downey Jr. as a private detective and Tom Berenger as a ship captain...I also loved how it rained throughout the movie...Don't know why, but I always love movies that feature a ton of rain...

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Had to watch this, as 'tis the season. Watch this every Christmas and it never gets old. Just a classic movie. One of these days I'll get around to checking out the commentary...Favorite scene will always be when Clark freaks out shortly after their Christmas dinner and uses a ton of profanity...

Last edited by Goonies85; 12-23-18 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-23-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Buscemi plays Khrushchev with an American accent?

Maybe it was just me but I thought it was boring and not that funny.
One of the most disappointing movies I've ever watched. I absolutely loved In The Loop, and I loved the first four seasons of Veep (the show has gotten progressively worse since Ianucci left to go back to Britain)...I didn't mind the whole American accent thing, as I had heard about that before the movie was released, but I, like you, just found the movie extremely boring...I don't remember laughing once...Which sucks, cause I laugh constantly throughout the movie In The Loop...
Old 12-23-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
It was actually an adult cult phenomenon that turned into a kids show.
Thanks for the info. I just wonder how can they do that though? Must be depressing for an actor to try and make adults laugh or love you and then end up on a saturday morning show for young kids. NOt that young kids are not fun but creatively it's less rewarding for artists.
Old 12-23-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Little Women (1994)

Even though it's been years since I read the source material, the film was mostly enjoyable due to a Winona Ryder's performance.
Old 12-23-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Godfathers of Hardcore (2017)

Documentary on one of my favorite Hardcore/Punk bands, Agnostic Front.

Though the film's structure was a bit loose, it's incredibly intimate, due to its focus on Vocalist Roger Miret & Guitarist Vinnie Stigma.
Old 12-24-18, 08:30 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot - another top Joaquin performance.
Old 12-24-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bad(der) Santa. Love this movie (probably my favourite Christmas movie tied with Die Hard and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation), especially this cut. It's funny, I know Zwigoff hates this cut of the film, but I actually find it much, much superior to his cut. In his cut of the film (which I also own), it almost feels like he's deliberately trying to make it NOT funny. Like, he does things like linger on shots too long, especially after jokes or punchlines...Generally I always prefer the director's cut, but in this instance I have to say that the studio interference actually helped the film...Zwigoff even took some of the voiceover out and I thought that definitely hurt the film...The only good thing I can find from the "Director's Cut" is that it has Audio Commentary from Zwigoff, which is pretty interesting...

The Hangover. Was just looking for another funny movie last night so I re-watched this for like the tenth time. Solid comedy. I didn't much care for it when I saw it in the theatre, but it holds up quite well...Just a "check your brain at the door" movie...

Con Air. Watched it again. Not a fan of the Extended Edition. It just adds a couple little scenes/moments that were justifiably cut from the theatrical version...That said, it's still a fun movie, filled with great actors...
Old 12-24-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Finally Hollywood made a movie about my life and somebody I could relate to.

After watching it a second time it was not as compelling once you saw the sex scenes.
I thought this movie was amazing. I especially liked some of the early scenes with long takes where Fassbender is just running the streets of New York...I thought the acting was sublime, and the ending was pretty devastating...I like this much more than his follow-up film, 12 Years A Slave (which was still a great movie, but I just thought Shame was better)...I also liked his other movie, Hunger...The interrogation scene in that movie was stunning, and Fassbender was amazing in it...
Old 12-24-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Pretty good western despite a predictable plot. Nice acting by Pullman and Tommy Flanagan. Give it a 3.5/5
Old 12-24-18, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Cock On Lips Now
Old 12-24-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Scrooged with Bill Murray is currently airing on Starz. Watching it tonight. Haven't seen it in well over 20+ years and never bought it on physical media or digital.

Saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse yesterday and I saw Bumblebee on Saturday. Enjoyed both movies.
Old 12-24-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Watched my 4K UHD of Rambo: First Blood Part 2 last night. Had not seen the movie in at least 10+ years. Pretty good. The 4K transfer was decent.

Hard to believe that Richard Crenna, Charles Napier and even the director George Cosmatos are all dead now.
Old 12-25-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Queen of the Desert, starring Nicole Kidman and directed by Werner Herzog, based on the life of Gertrude Bell

Bell was sort of the female Lawrence of Arabia (or he was the male Bell) and Lawrence is a minor character in this movie. Good movie, not spectacular but well made and interesting.
Old 12-25-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Love Actually (2003)

While not all of the stories contained in the film work, the ones that do are enjoyable.

I absolutely love Bill Nighy in this film.
Old 12-25-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silent Night, Deadly Night. Have always liked this movie ever since picking up the 2-part DVD combo that originally came out from Anchor Bay way back in the day. Didn't notice too much that was different in the Unrated Cut, but I'm glad to have it. Also checked out the 45-minute documentary on the film and thought it was great. I'm either going to re-watch the sequel later on today, or re-watch this one with the new commentary that is included...I'd check out the old commentary, but I know I listened to it way back on the old DVD (and I remember thinking it was quite good)...

Die Hard 2. This was on TV so I watched this as I was tucking into bed last night. I love this sequel, and feel it's pretty underrated. Lots of great actors in this, and I like the airport setting (along with the snowy atmosphere). The movie really breezes along...I'd have to say that I consider the first one pretty much a perfect movie, and it would be one of the few movies i would give a perfect score of 5/5...But this one, at least to me, would still be at least a 4/5...
Old 12-25-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Days of Thunder. Had obviously seen many parts of this on TV over the years, but had never actually sat down and watched the whole thing. I was surprised how much I liked it. Despite the cliches and the whole thing being pretty contrived, it was decent entertainment. Tony Scott did a good job directing. Wasn't too impressed with the acting by Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman, but Duvall and Rooker were very good. Nothing too special, but I'm glad I finally watched the whole thing...The Blu-Ray image quality was pretty horrible, though...

We Were Soldiers. An okay Vietnam war movie. Gibson was decent, albeit I thought he over-acted a bit, at times. Didn't really care for Barry Pepper's character, nor his story arc. I thought that was overdone...The action scenes were serviceable, though...Overall, nothing special...This is another Blu-Ray I picked up for $5.00, and I'm glad that's all I paid for it...
Old 12-25-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I thought this movie was amazing. I especially liked some of the early scenes with long takes where Fassbender is just running the streets of New York...I thought the acting was sublime, and the ending was pretty devastating...I like this much more than his follow-up film, 12 Years A Slave (which was still a great movie, but I just thought Shame was better)...I also liked his other movie, Hunger...The interrogation scene in that movie was stunning, and Fassbender was amazing in it...
It was not awful or maybe my mind was on other things and not into the movie.

Fassbender dated his co-star Nicole Beharie for a while before they broke up.
Old 12-25-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

JiminRochesters's annual tradition.

It was on Cinemax so I taped it and watched it for the first time since 2004.

It was not as awful as the reviews claim though it has a 85% approval rating on google search.

It is one of those movies that works better at home and not watching in the theater.
Old 12-25-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Challenge Pissi
A Cock On Lips Now
Old 12-25-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

The 2000 AD documentary streaming free on Vudu currently. Interesting, although I didn't understand about 30% of it. (Thick accents.)
Old 12-25-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Bourne Ultimatum. Absolutely hated the first 30-45 minutes (really wish someone told Greengrass to quit shaking the camera so much, and cutting every three seconds, it seemed), but the last 45 minutes made up for it. It did have a great conclusion, and I liked Strathairn and Ramirez in it. Still probably like the first movie the best (mainly because the editing wasn't so frenetic), but this is probably second best. Decent end to an okay (but overrated) trilogy of films...

Fatal Attraction. Hadn't seen this since I bought it on VHS way back when I was in High School. It's a good movie. Nothing too crazy to write home about, but it's solid entertainment. Michael Douglas really carries the movie. I guess Glenn Close did a decent job, but I think the movie would've worked much better with someone more the Sharon Stone-type (and I'm not just saying that because of Basic Instinct)...I just didn't necessarily buy that Douglas's character would risk all of what he had to be with Glenn Close...That said, solidly directed, decent score...a little bit long, but oh well...And Anne Archer was pretty good as his poor wife...
Old 12-25-18, 09:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

A Star is Born (2018)...what incredible movie making and powerful acting. Just a great, but heart breaking movie. full of emotion, little humor, but mostly great music and a tragic love story. i always liked Cooper, the actor, but this is some transcendental shit. and the fact he wrote all the songs with Gaga, except one, i believe, and of course sang and sang incredible. just great. such talent and hopefully only beginning of directing beautiful works. top 5 for sure of 2018. Dice Clay, Chappelle, Elliot who is always incredible and never more so here were all so great and just brilliant, how the hell did he know casting. and Gaga equally knocks this role on it's ass. this will be nominated and i think will win a couple Oscars.

almost hesitant to see other 2 previous incarnations, even though they got accolades as well for fear it wouldn't compare to this. right up there with Crazy Heart in this genre for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.