Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Unforgiven (1992)

Not very interesting on second viewing. I saw it when it came out and didn't have much recollections of it so I picked up a cheap-price DVD somewhere and thought I'd give it another shot. Clint can't act. He was awesome in Leone's films because the character was new and Leone was a great director, but here he just locks his jaws while speaking for effect. I know a lot of folks like this so I'll shut up now, but I'll take Leone anytime over this!
Old 05-09-18, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pacific Rim : Uprising (2018)

Saw this at the theater. Pretty lame throughout with bad acting and teenage-level drama and humor. Only a small Kaiju fight towards the end but more talk than action thoughout.
Old 05-09-18, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forbidden Empire (2014)

Russian co-prod (with England?) and remake of an old 60s 'horror/fantastic' film taken from a folk tale. In a strange, isolated, village lost in the countryside, a mysterious malevolant force threatens the citizens. An English explorer stumbles on the village and will help the villagers fight the curse.
Confusing and lacking in appeal mostly. I'll try and check out the original though which they call the 'only soviet horror film ever'!
Old 05-09-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I actually enjoyed this one. Extremely violent movie, but I thought a lot of the acting was really good, and I thought James Gunn wrote a pretty interesting story...It's definitely not for everyone's tastes, but I think more people than not would find it enjoyable enough...
The scenes where they are bashing peoples faces in was too much

John C. McGinley played another ashhole shocking news

Don't remember the movie first time I saw it.

It was ok for a few scenes but could have been a lot better.
Old 05-10-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doctor Who: Complete Series 10 (2017)

I'm a big sucker for the old 'classic' Doctor Who series with the wobbly cardboard sets and rubber-suited monsters, but not so much for the new one. Season 10 had a few good episodes but it's a good thing that show-runner and writer of half of the scripts, Steven Moffatt, is going away. I hope the new guy and new actress in the lead role will make it more interesting.

Murder by contract (1958)

Nice film noir with strange leading character who one day ups and decides to become a contract killer. We follow his flawless career until...
Some good banter between hoodlums, a few plot holes and incongruities, but mostly fun to watch.

Mortal Kombat (1995)

Awful casting, awful script ans sfx. Painful to watch.

Live and Let Die (1973)

We rewatch some of the old Bonds once in a while to show our son other action films than the Marvel steamroller. This is not the finest of them, but as with most Bonds, it is an easy watch. The boat chase streches a bit and Solitaire is a bit wooden but still okay.
Old 05-10-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Black Panther (2018) - Still pretty good but hardly 'The Godfather' of comic book movies as some have said. Probably liked it the same when I saw it in a few months back. 3.75/5

Gladiator: Unrated Version (2000) - One hell of a good movie with a great performance from Russell Crowe. Funny enough, this was a film that I didn't care all that much for after seeing it in theaters, but have come to love over the years. 4.5/5
Old 05-10-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Playing on cable right now and had some laughs but not LOL funny
Old 05-11-18, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Black Panther, Hated it 1/5

Ready Player One. Incredibly different from the book but the source material would be so expensive and hard to adapt just like the book. But the way they made the movie it really works well 5/5

London Has Fallen liked it the first time i saw it and the second. rewatched it tonight and realized i didnt like it much at all. 2/5
Old 05-11-18, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Round
Black Panther, Hated it 1/5
With the risk of being called a racist, you should put your thoughts down in the review thread. Would love to hear why you felt it was so bad.

When a few of didn't care for Spider-Man Homecoming we were accused of trying to be contrarian just for the sake of being different. Or just trying to garner attention because there was no way someone could not actually like that movie.
Old 05-11-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spider-Man Homecoming was a average movie

Based on a true story. Kind of boring. I hope I don't end up in a marriage like this though it works out for them.

Sally Hawkins plays another introvert.
Old 05-11-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Girl with All the Gifts - 4/5

A group of soldiers and scientists try to find a cure for a fungal infection that turns humans into flesh eating creatures. Their key to finding it is an infected child who besides craving flesh, still functions like a human. An interesting fresh take on the zombie genre.
Old 05-11-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hounds of Love - 4/5

Australian thriller about a dysfunctional couple who torture and murder teenage girls. After abducting their latest victim, the girl realizes that in order to survive she must figure out a way to make the couple turn against each other. Very well acted with some disturbing moments.

Last edited by inri222; 05-11-18 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looked and sounded how you would expect a new release to look and sound. After seeing a bit of SPR in 4K, I still would have liked to see this get the 4K treatment.

A little known story about the first group into Afghanistan after 9/11. They teamed up with a warlord to take the Taliban's capital city. Hemsworth was strong. Would have liked to see a more in depth documentary on the real story but there was a couple small pieces where the real people and stories were introduced.
Old 05-12-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

The best of the PP films. It has all the funnier scenes: Kato, the disguises, the flail/interrogation, the Oktoberfest, the Castle, etc.
I can see that some wouldn't like Sellers' antics (my girlfriend's reaction was rather tepid) but if it's your thing, he was a master at it!
Old 05-13-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A Late Quartet - 4/5

The lives of the members in a string quartet become deeply affected when one of them is diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. After playing together for 25 years, the fear of change causes egos and resentments to rise to the surface. A very well acted drama with some good performances from Christopher Walker & the late great Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Old 05-13-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester

A little known story about the first group into Afghanistan after 9/11. They teamed up with a warlord to take the Taliban's capital city. Hemsworth was strong. Would have liked to see a more in depth documentary on the real story but there was a couple small pieces where the real people and stories were introduced.
It is a fascinating story; I read a couple of books on the subject years ago.
Old 05-13-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

André the Giant (2018)

The Documentary could have benefited from focusing more on André's life outside of the ring.
Old 05-13-18, 06:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay...was so much fun. loved the headshots by Deadshot and the violence was fine. didn't really see the graphic nudity, but fun movie and loved the twists and turns.
Old 05-13-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Braveheart (1995) — Although it's not historically accurate, was still a lot of fun with some epic battles and at least a good performance from Mel Gibson even if his accent wasn't the best. Been several years since I last saw this, but still holds up and flies by despite its nearly 3-hour running time. 4.25/5
Old 05-13-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Life of the Party today. It's an ok comedy movie and I liked it better than some of other Melissa McCarthy movies like Identity Thief.
Old 05-13-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Antibodies- 3.5/5

Pretty good German psychological thriller/police procedural in the vein of Se7en and Silence of the Lambs.
Old 05-13-18, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Net (1995) — Decent mid-90s thriller that actually is due for a remake given today's technology which does make the premise achievable. 3.75/5
Old 05-14-18, 11:04 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

The Commuter...omg was this laughably bad, yet i couldn't look away. i did watch the whole thing which says something, i guess, but the effects, the story was absolutely preposterous. i did watch one extra where Liam was praising the 4 movies he filmed with this director. Unknown, Non-stop, etc. These were barely watchable movies. TC was no exception. just ridiculous. and that Spartacus moment and when they all get off train and happy endings ensue i actually laughed and not in the good way.
Old 05-14-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Braveheart (1995) — Although it's not historically accurate, was still a lot of fun with some epic battles and at least a good performance from Mel Gibson even if his accent wasn't the best. Been several years since I last saw this, but still holds up and flies by despite its nearly 3-hour running time. 4.25/5
The UHD releases tomorrow.

I'll be buying this one and Gladiator in the future (once they start to be discounted) and will review.
Tomorrow I have Justice League coming in and will post my impressions in the other thread.
Old 05-14-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus
The UHD releases tomorrow.
Yep, that's the one I watched. Same with Gladiator.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.