Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Original Godzilla for the first time. Loved it.

Then watched Ghoulies, because, why not.
Old 02-23-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Night Catches Us - 3.5/5

After four years of being gone, a former Black Panther returns to his hometown in 1976 for his father's funeral. While there he must deal with the unresolved issues and strained relationships of the past that still linger. Good film from first time director Tanya Hamilton about real people trying to move on with their lives. The only complaint that I have is that it could have dug a bit deeper into its characters. It's a damn shame that a well made film that avoids black cliches like this one doesn't get the same recognition as something with the name Tyler Perry or Lee Daniels above the title.
Old 02-23-16, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo Kid - 4.5/5 I had no idea what this film was about going into it other than several people I know telling me it was a must-see. It is currently on Netflix, definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of the old Troma films or cheesy B-movies.
Old 02-23-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Night Catches Us - 3.5/5

After four years of being gone, a former Black Panther returns to his hometown in 1976 for his father's funeral. While there he must deal with the unresolved issues and strained relationships of the past that still linger. Good film from first time director Tanya Hamilton about real people trying to move on with their lives. The only complaint that I have is that it could have dug a bit deeper into its characters. It's a damn shame that a well made film that avoids black cliches like this one doesn't get the same recognition as something with the name Tyler Perry or Lee Daniels above the title.

Anthony Mackie was in that and I think HDNET when they did the early premieres that was a movie they showed.

Far from The Madding Crowd

Kind of boring.

Spoiler:
She should have saved all the trouble and married the first guy she met.

Old 02-24-16, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diablo (2015) - did a quick search but didn't find a dedicated thread to the movie so it goes here I suppose...watched this low-budget but nice-looking Western starring Clint's son Scott Eastwood. I won't be too detailed with regard to spoilers, but I am going to very strongly hint as to what direction the wind is blowing in...so if you are sensitive in wanting to see this movie totally free of what to expect then maybe stop reading after this paragraph.

From the very opening it seemed like a lot of things were off aka bad...the 1980's action star intro to Scott Eastwood, the dialogue was awkward, and the movie just wasn't smart. However, not long after (and likely far too early) I think most viewers will catch on that something is going on...in the sense that maybe this really isn't a conventional Western...so in that sense you can forgive the opening as maybe it wasn't really bad but more a clear indicator that something was afoot from the get-go (heck your antennae were likely already up if you gave any thought to the film's title and the opening text).

How you feel about the movie might have some to do with how soon you catch on to things...for me I caught on far too early...though I did sort of appreciate that they tried to at least do something more memorable than a straightforward and disposable B-Western. Ultimately, this is actually more of a horror-Western hybrid than was BONE TOMAHAWK. It is from a different sub-genre of horror however. Still it is a rather common type of horror entry, perhaps coming off as a little more fresh by being ported over to the Western genre.

As Westerns are my favorite genre, I found it watchable/entertaining enough...undemanding viewing for the most part but fine in a starving man appreciates stale bread sort of way. I preferred it over something like JANE GOT A GUN, as DIABLO at least - while not really successful - had some greater (though certainly familiar and far from original) ambitions going on, call it an "at least they tried" factor. There is a lot of nice looking aerial and outdoors cinematography...probably overdid it some with the aerial shots. Walton Goggins turned in a nice performance...in line with what you would expect out of him. And the runtime ran along quickly at around 77-minutes (excluding end credits).

In needs mentioning though that I was very let down in that I thought they really fumbled away the last thirty seconds of the movie...really should have gone with a different ending.

Didn't think much of Scott Eastwood...comes up lacking in looks, voice, and overall charisma/presence as compared to his dad...not much of a performer either, and just kind of a bland lead (and perhaps poorly directed in asking him to mimic his dad). John Wayne's son Patrick was much better in that regard...a little wooden perhaps but otherwise appealing in many regards. Maybe Scott should set aside trying to be a chip off the old block, perhaps a truer version of himself would make for a more interesting performer...though I suspect people who are interested in working with him as a performer might not be receptive to that approach.
Old 02-24-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

I guess it was on EPIX for a long time until now when it was on IFC demand.

Glad IFC brags their movies are not edited for time or content.

Old 02-25-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Barton Fink

Old 02-25-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1,000 Times Goodnight - 1/5

The first world domestic problems of a white European photographer who makes a comfortable living capturing Third World misery. The talents of Juliette Binoche are put to waste in this cliched manipulative film that pretends to care but can't even see beyond its own nose when it comes to the plight of non-westerners.

Last edited by inri222; 02-26-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very Semi-Serious

American Milkshake

Old 02-26-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Echoes of War (2015) - an interesting coincidence that I watched this just a couple of days after watching DIABLO...they'd make for an interesting double feature...as if both projects sprung from being given the same concept of "go make a post Civil War Western with a battle-scarred veteran as the main character". And I found great similarities in the results...though both are very different in style...DIABLO was more traditional Western with maybe a horror aspect, while ECHOES OF WAR - despite taking place in Texas - feels much more like a "rural South drama" as opposed to a "cowboy Western".

ECHOES OF WAR is a low-budget indie...a total of eight cast members, two settings (a large plantation type home, and a smaller cabin, while the rest takes place outdoors). The story is a Hatfield & McCoys type affair but done in a far more minimalistic way. The tone more importantly is decidedly arthouse...like maybe poor man's Terrence Malick...gently-paced in its 103-minute runtime, shots of flowers, trees, animals, etc. It does get quite gritty in some respects too...a couple of scenes of animal skinning, a scene of rough and fairly graphic sex, etc.

James Badge Dale plays the veteran back from the war who takes refuge with his brother-in-law played by Ethan Embry. However the two have an uneasy relationship, often at odds...Dale's war experience has left him troubled and robbed him of any sort of spirituality, while Embry is firmly a man of faith...while I wouldn't necessarily label it a Christian-themed type entry, at the same time that aspect is certainly very present (but not in an off-putting way for those who might wish to avoid such fare). Maika Monroe plays Dale's niece who is in love with the son of the opposing landlord-type family which is headed by actor William Forsythe (his character too is broken from the loss of a son in the war). For this type of indie film, while all the cast performances weren't always directly on target, they were generally successful. I would've tweaked a few lines in the dialogue here and there, but otherwise that aspect was fine as well.

As you would expect from a tale of feuding families, things eventually head into a downward, dark, and violent spiral. I actually found this movie to be quite interesting...call it a pleasant surprise...again feuding families aren't anything new under the sun...but I thought the filmmakers succeeded in making a film that successfully draws you in and keeps you involved in seeing how things play out. In later reading the reviews at IMDb and even a small sampling of film critic responses, it is a little perplexing to see how harshly this film was received...makes me wonder what sort of exposure those folks have to indie cinema...don't know what people were expecting but it reads as if people were expecting this movie to be UNFORGIVEN or such. Have to say it again, I thought the blistering feedback I read was very unfair...moreso than I can recall about any film in quite a while.

ECHOES OF WAR is available on DVD here in the U.S. It is also airing on one of the Showtime channels in a few hours, and too this coming Tuesday.

Likely too familiar to be considered of any special merit, I otherwise was very pleased with ECHOES OF WAR...an engaging indie Western...even if it kinda maybe wasn't a Western.
Old 02-28-16, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr. Holmes This has glowing reviews on IMDB and RT. I didn't enjoy it much. The acting by Ian McKellen was superb. The story on the other hand I found not very engrossing. Some of felt like Vince Vaughn movies where people are just thrown around him so he can monologue. The other problem I had, was the story dealt with Holmes' aging, regrets, dementia and forgetfulness. Going through this with my mother right now so not finding very high in entertainment value.
Old 02-28-16, 10:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Freeheld...eh.
Old 02-28-16, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Monster House
Old 02-28-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Galaxy Quest 4/5
Old 02-28-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Blood for Irina - 2.5/5

Low budget film about the daily existence of a female vampire who lives in a rundown motel. As a fan of Jean Rollin (which this film reminds me of), I really wanted to like it.
It has some good ideas and visuals but as a whole it lacks in the substance department.
Old 02-28-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Der Samurai - 4.5/5

A rural German cop on the trail of a sword wielding homicidal transvestite discovers that he has a lot in common with the man he is pursuing. A well made bizarre psychological thriller about the nature of sexual identity that drips with originality and also lots of blood. Not for everyone but if you're looking for something daring that feels like a combination of Miike, Lynch & Araki, check this one out.

Last edited by inri222; 02-28-16 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Der Samurai - 4.5/5

A rural German cop on the trail of a sword wielding homicidal transvestite discovers that he has a lot in common with the man he is pursuing. A well made bizarre psychological thriller about the nature of sexual identity that drips with originality and also lots of blood. Not for everyone but if you're looking for something daring that feels like a combination of Miike, Lynch & Araki, check this one out.
I was curious about this one!

Old 02-29-16, 06:23 AM
Suspended

T2 10/10
Old 03-01-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paper Planes

I thought it would be cheesy and sappy but it was kind of entertaining.

Old 03-02-16, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Aside from the Oscar stuff I watched last month:

The Lost Squadron(1932)
Diablo (2016) (Good concept, just could've been handled better)
Next Door (2005)
Post Tenebras Lux (2012) (Maybe another viewing might help)
Masquerade (1988) (I used to always think that Jennifer & Meg Tilly were sisters)
Phantom Lady (1944)
The Pet (2006) (Tommy Wiseau would be proud)
Rise of the Footsoldier (2007) (It seemed like the main objective of this movie was all about it's conclusion. Too bad, considering that I liked what preceded it)
Tomorrowland (2015)
The Major and the Minor (1942)
The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) (It took three tries, but I finally made it to the end of this movie. I just can not get into this one)
Dope (2015)
Ivy (1947)
Deadpool (2016) (Favorite "Non-Oscar-viewed" movie of the month)
Marley (2012)
Furious 7 (2015)
Blood and Sex Nightmare (2008) (Well, it was only an hour. Not too much to complain about)
Valentine's Day (2010)
Cadeverella (2007)
The Libertine (2004)
The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution (2015)
A Blueprint for Murder (1953) (Biggest snoozer of the month)
The Witch (2015)
My Girl 2 (1994) (Biggest surprise of the month! Seriously!)
Turbo Kid (2015) (Though I wasn't as crazy about this the way everyone else is. The gore was what really saved it for me)
Magic Mike (2012) (I expected it to be WAY more different---'Til I remembered that Soderbergh directed it)
Pixels (2015) (Basically the worst movie of the month. But I sure had a soft spot for those giant 8-bit graphics near the end. They looked great. Especially on my 3D tv)

And for the record, my favorite Oscar-viewed entries:
*Not including shorts*
Room (2015) (Would've loved to see it win Best Pic)
The Look of Silence (2014)
Days of Glory (2006) (I'm surprised this doesn't have a bigger audience)
What Happened, Miss Simone? (2015)
The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012) (WOW)
The Reader (2008)
Cry Freedom (1987) (Not as dated as I feared it would be)
The Decline of the American Empire (1986)
Gone Baby Gone (2007) (Surprised how long I held this one off)
Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom (2015) (I saw all the documentary nominees and thought this was the best)
The Young in Heart (1938)
Old 03-02-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Post Tenebras Lux (2012) (Maybe another viewing might help)
I have to do the same with that one because every film by Carlos Reygadas I've disliked on the first viewing and then changed my mind on the seceond.
Old 03-02-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

You know, it's a shame Lazenby didn't do a few more Bond films. He may not have bee the best at acting, but he had a certain charm that worked well enough. Movie is a bit long in the tooth, and the tone is all over the place, but the ski chase and Alps setting are definite highlights.

And geez, I forgot just how much of a downer that ending is.

"We have all the time in the world", cue tears, cut to credits.
Old 03-02-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I have to do the same with that one because every film by Carlos Reygadas I've disliked on the first viewing and then changed my mind on the seceond.
Battle in Heaven is the only other movie I've seen by him. LOVED that one. Definetly interested in watching more.
Old 03-02-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Future Weather

Old 03-02-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Der Samurai - 4.5/5

This film is awesome. Glad I found a used copy a little bit ago on Blu-Ray.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.