Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Last movie you watched

Code Unknown - 4/5

Michael Haneke's fractured film about people from different backgrounds and the problems caused by miscommunication between them.
Not one of Haneke's best but still a good film with some amazing sequences.
Old 06-25-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Piano Teacher - 5/5

Psychological drama about a sexually repressed classical piano instructor in her mid 40's who leads a sad existence under the thumb of her domineering mother. Without a man in her life she finds release by engaging in self-mutilation and voyeurism. One day a young man falls for her and decides to enroll in her classes, but little does he know what lurks beyond his teacher's rigid surface. One of the best performances by the great Isabelle Huppert and one hell of a twisted movie from Michael Haneke.
Old 06-25-14, 10:21 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Joe - 4/5
Devil's Knot - 2.5/5
Old 06-25-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

After Hours

As other reviewers have noted, either you love Martin Scorsese's pitch black comedy very, very much, or you don't care for it at all. It's one of my favorite films, and by FAR my favorite film of Scorsese's.
Old 06-26-14, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transformers: Age of Extinction IMAX 3D - 3/5 - Meh. I recommend to see in IMAX screening cuz Michael use the new IMAX 3D camera.
Old 06-26-14, 04:40 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Away From Her - I'd heard this film described as a heartbreaking depiction of Alzheimer's disease. In reality, (from someone who's witnessed the condition firsthand) it barely scratched the surface of how devastating it can be. Still, it's a moving enough depiction of a man coming to terms with having the woman he loves slip away -- and the actions he takes so perhaps both can find happiness. Julie Christie got a lot of nominations for this, but I felt the actor who played her husband deserved more recognition. He carried the movie.

The Loved Ones - "Finger lickin' good?" Sorta. Twisted (if slight) torture flick tinged with enough wacky touches to make it entertaining. Loved the actress who played Princess (currently playing the whore with the chin tattoos on AMC's Hell On Wheels). For a debut feature, the director made a slick looking product. It would probably be a lot more fun to watch with a crowd then by yourself (as I did).

Inside - Lived up to it's bloody reputation... but otherwise, I was kind of indifferent. The DVD Talk review pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie. The CG reaction shots of the baby in the womb were kind of a clever touch. Did I mention the blood? I've seen so many brutal horror films that very little shocks me these days. The most this one did was cause me to experience a slight case of indigestion by the time the credits rolled.
Old 06-26-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Tourist Trap (1979)

The pacing is a bit rough, but worth it for all of the FX work.
Old 06-26-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The French Connection - 5/5

Suspecting that he may be tied into illegal activities, two New York City narcotics detectives keep an eye on a candy store owner who lives an extravagant lifestyle. The further they investigate they find out that he may be involved in a rumored large shipment of heroin coming into the US from overseas. One of the best gritty crime films of the 70's that captures the realism of a decaying New York City. Shot mostly on handheld and actual locations giving it a documentary feel, it is the first of William Friedkin's trifecta.
Old 06-27-14, 07:31 AM

Dead Heat - Could have been a fun B-movie, but Treat Williams and Joe Piscopo have zero rapport with each other -- which is kinda vital for a buddy cop picture. Hell, if you told me their scenes were filmed separately and combined with split screen I would believe it. Thankfully, ol' Joe disappears for pretty much the last third of the movie. This horror comedy hits a lot of bum notes, but does feature one inventive sequence in a Chinese market where butchered animals are brought back to life.

My Bodyguard - Pleasant enough... felt kind of like an after school special. Plenty of future stars appeared in this one as teenagers: Matt Dillon, Joan Cusack, Jennifer Beals. Ruth Gordon has a supporting role as the bullied kid's feisty grandma. Her character serves little purpose other than to add a bit of color to the movie.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-27-14 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 11:26 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Airport 1975

This film is such an odd duck. It's awful in almost every imaginable way, yet it still manages to build some suspense in the last thirty minutes. There are so many parts of it that send me into howling laughter, but Helen's Reddy's song to Linda Blair is the highpoint. The ZAZ team skewered it so successfully in Airplane! that I laugh all the way through the scene. Best line: Charlton Heston's "Go do your thing, baby."
Old 06-28-14, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Airport 1975

This film is such an odd duck. It's awful in almost every imaginable way, yet it still manages to build some suspense in the last thirty minutes. There are so many parts of it that send me into howling laughter, but Helen's Reddy's song to Linda Blair is the highpoint. The ZAZ team skewered it so successfully in Airplane! that I laugh all the way through the scene. Best line: Charlton Heston's "Go do your thing, baby."
I was a sophomore in high school and took this girl I liked on date to this movie. You're right, this movie is a paradox. It's so bad it's almost poking fun at itself or the genre before there really was a genre. It also had so many big names and took itself very seriously. The end really did build suspense to where the audience was cheering at the climax. All-in-all, perfect material for future spoof movies.
Old 06-28-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Tracks- 9/10
Under The Skin 8/10
Old 06-28-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Evil Dead

American Hustle
Old 06-29-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kenji Mizoguchi: The Life of a Film Director - 4/5

The life of Japanese master Kenji Mizoguchi as told by those he collaborated with from his silent film days until his death in 1956.
Old 06-29-14, 10:01 PM

Triangle (2009) - Surprisingly clever. After watching it twice, our heroine's actions toward the other passengers in an attempt to end her predicament can seem a bit questionable... but it raises plenty of questions for the viewer to ponder over. This one deserved a theatrical release in the states.
Old 06-29-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Evil Dead 2

Dear Mr. Watterson

The Exorcist
Old 06-29-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Orozco The Embalmer (2001)

Been wanting to show this film to one of my best friends, who happens to be a licensed Embalmer. Great way to spend a Friday afternoon
Old 06-30-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fear Me Not - 4/5

Danish psychological drama about a middle-aged man who decides to take a leave of absence from his job in order to reevaluate his life with which he is unhappy. He decides to participate in a test for a new antidepressant to see if it helps him even though it might have risky side effects. Good film about how people can feel suffocated by the monotony of everyday life.
Old 06-30-14, 11:02 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Under the Skin - 4/5
Bernie - 4/5
Old 06-30-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

DVD/BD

Visitors
Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Girlfriend Experience
Kid Cannabis

Theatrical

Transformers 4
Maleficent
Old 06-30-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sangre - 3/5

A government worker who keeps count of the people who enter a building, lives a smothered life with his jealous wife. Their daily lives consist of working, eating, having sex and watching soap operas. One day their routine is threatened when the man's daughter from his first marriage finds herself homeless and wants to move in with them. An interesting film that could have been better if it would have revealed more backstory of the major characters.
Old 07-01-14, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Triangle (2009) - Surprisingly clever. After watching it twice, our heroine's actions toward the other passengers in an attempt to end her predicament can seem a bit questionable... but it raises plenty of questions for the viewer to ponder over. This one deserved a theatrical release in the states.
make sure you check out TIMECRIMES if you dug this flick.
Old 07-01-14, 08:25 AM

^ Already added to my list.

Some Kind of Wonderful - Minor John Hughes... basically "Pretty in Pink" with the gender roles swapped. If not for Mary Stuart Masterson's memorable turn as a lovelorn tomboy, this movie wouldn't have done much for me.

Doghouse - Pretty sucky "Shaun of the Dead" knock-off co-starring Mickey Smith from Doctor Who. Some reviews have called it misogynistic... and yeah, there is a definite "He-Man Woman Haters Club" vibe going on among the boys. Their girlfriends are all pains in the ass and the ghouls they get to dispatch later in the flick are exclusively female.

Splinter - The feel of this seems derivative of other genre films (from "The Blob" to Carpenter's "The Thing") but quality acting and direction elevate a script that could have easily been a Sci-Fi Channel original movie.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-01-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Taken 2
Old 07-01-14, 11:07 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Machete Kills (Netflix) - Machete In Space...love it (and the silly ways that were used to kill folks in the film)! Amber Heard was also a surprise in the film, sure she is nice on the eyes, but she also did a good job with her role in the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.