Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 05-25-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: Last movie you watched

Originally Posted by sydonesia
Revisited After Hours tonight. And it remains in the top 5 of my all-time favorite Martin Scorsese movies, and I still think it's one of the best dark comedies ever made.
After Hours is on my top 10 of late night dark comedies, I have to revisit it soon.
Old 05-25-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 268 Likes on 223 Posts

X-Men Days Of Future Past
Red 2 (cable)
Old 05-25-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 591 Posts

The Way, Way Back 4/5
Old 05-25-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Entrance - 4/5

A young woman living in Los Angeles leads a monotonous existence. Slowly she begins to suffer from urban alienation and comes to realize that something is not right about her surroundings. A very atmospheric psychological slow burn horror film that takes it's time to unravel but if you are patient is worth the wait. Shot in 12 days for $6,000 and shows how much you can do with so little, quality over quantity, you listening Hollywood. If John Cassavetes & Bruno Dumont made a film together it would be this.

Last edited by inri222; 05-26-14 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-25-14, 08:35 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

X-Men Days Of Future Past
Old 05-26-14, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed three of them today. A trilogy of threes. Part 3 cubed.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

Death Race 3: Inferno (2012)

Dracula III: Legacy (2005)
Old 05-26-14, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 591 Posts

Trance

Carrie (remake)
Old 05-26-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,163 Likes on 894 Posts

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - A decent entry into the Ryan franchise. The direction was slick and the action was ok.
Old 05-26-14, 01:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

excellent highly recommended movie!
Old 05-26-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scary Movie 5 (2013) -- DVR from Showtime
Outbreak (1995) -- DVR from HBO
Rosemary's Baby (2014) -- DVR from NBC
Old 05-26-14, 02:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts

The LEGO Movie...streamed from Amazon. still awesome!
Old 05-26-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorcerer - 4.5/5

Four men on the run leave their countries and end up in a hellish South American town as immigrants. In the town a US oil company is looking to hire drivers to haul some highly sensitive nitroglycerin for 200 miles by truck through the treacherous jungle. If successful the reward will be $10,000 and legal citizenship. William Friedkin's follow up to the Exorcist is one of the most intense films ever made.
Old 05-26-14, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Neighbors 3.5/5

Funny at times but not hysterical. From stuff clearly cut could hav a boundary pushing uncut blu=ray
Old 05-26-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Persona - 5/5

A young nurse tends to a famous actress who one day stopped speaking. As part of the treatment they are sent by the head doctor to a summer home. While there, nurse and patient start to get to know each other and re-open their psychological wounds. One of Ingmar Bergman's best films and one of the all time greats of cinema.
Old 05-26-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Rio 2 2/5 but the kid liked it

Get Low 4/5 If you missed this little gem with Bill Murray and Robert Duval, see it. It's great.
Old 05-26-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
X-Men: Days of Future Past- Bryan Singer returns at long last the genre and franchise he kickstarted. After it wandered for a decade aimlessly with horrible sequels, he gives it a proper kick in the ass. Exciting, slick, gorgeous looking, funny, well-balanced, smart enough, entertaining, and a cast to kill for. Bring on the extended director's cut. For once, bigger really is better.

Lawrence of Arabia- I'd kill to see this baby in 70mm. David Aleah's epic to end all epics really is worthy of its hype. A brilliant masterpiece who's spectacle has increased rather than diminished as time has gone by, painting on the biggest possible canvas of both character and narrative. How Lean managed this remains one of the mysteries of the universe, but from its literary script to its exciting action sequences to it brilliant performances to to its grand spectacle to its memorable characters, every single piece fits perfectly. A cinematic miracle.

Gladiator- Ridley Scott's revival sword-and-sandal epic, saw a DCP of this as part of the "classics series" at my local AMC, sandwiched between The Ten Commandments the week before (My ass....so numb....) and Ben-Hur later this week if all goes well. Anyway, time has a funny way of putting things into their proper place. The battle scenes, though impressive, would be well-eclipsed by LOTR the following year. Still, some are exciting. I rather like Crowe's steely presence as the lead character, Oliver Reed's final performance is good, and Connie Neilsen is very sultry. Scott brings his customary visual flair to the film, and he remains adept at world-building and many stunning, technically impressive, logistically complicated shots. That being said, unfortunately, all of his considerable directorial talent is in the service of a screenplay that's at best silly and at worst kind of moronic. Riddled with cliches (Seriously? The emperor is going to go toe-to-toe with a military master in the arena? Really?), bad dialogue which signposts things that the audience already knows ("Why are you armed?" "I'm terribly vexed!"), and hilarious historical inaccuracies (Maximus must be good! He does what the "good" emperor says, is a substance farmer, and has a beautiful wife and sun surround by golden wheat, and dies Christ-like for the good Rome! If this isn't out-and-out fascist, well, it's certainly ridiculously simplistic.). It's half Cecil B. DeMille, half George Lucas, tons and tons and tons of grand excess which it thinks is exciting (and probably was in 2000), loaded with spectacle, some of which looks good, some of which is dated. I have a certain soft spot for the old-style adventure it peddles and it's certainly fun in places, but it's really uneven and time hasn't been too kind to it. Incidentally, whether it's the fault of Scott, Phoenix, or the screenwriter, I don't know, but his whiny, effeminate character is one of the least effective villains ever-a sniveling idiot with daddy issues who's every action seems to happen solely because the screenplay says so. It tries to pay lip service to actual political intrigue, but the simplified needs of a blockbuster action movie make that impossible. In the end, you're left with a classic Hollywood film-raw spectacle, some of it good-looking, married to a stupid screenplay and story. Still, kind of fun, but has a classic identity crisis-it's a glorified B-movie with pretensions and grandeur that make it think it's smarter than it is. Though at least unlike The Ten Commandments, it actually ended before I'd lost all feeling in my lower body.
Old 05-26-14, 10:22 PM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

12 Monkeys

Very good, intelligent science fiction. Considering Brazil is one on my favorite films and I admire Gilliam's style, I'm surprised it took nearly two decades for me to finally get around to watching it.
Old 05-26-14, 11:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138

Gladiator- Ridley Scott's revival sword-and-sandal epic, saw a DCP of this as part of the "classics series" at my local AMC, sandwiched between The Ten Commandments the week before (My ass....so numb....) and Ben-Hur later this week if all goes well. Anyway, time has a funny way of putting things into their proper place. The battle scenes, though impressive, would be well-eclipsed by LOTR the following year. Still, some are exciting. I rather like Crowe's steely presence as the lead character, Oliver Reed's final performance is good, and Connie Neilsen is very sultry. Scott brings his customary visual flair to the film, and he remains adept at world-building and many stunning, technically impressive, logistically complicated shots. That being said, unfortunately, all of his considerable directorial talent is in the service of a screenplay that's at best silly and at worst kind of moronic. Riddled with cliches (Seriously? The emperor is going to go toe-to-toe with a military master in the arena? Really?), bad dialogue which signposts things that the audience already knows ("Why are you armed?" "I'm terribly vexed!"), and hilarious historical inaccuracies (Maximus must be good! He does what the "good" emperor says, is a substance farmer, and has a beautiful wife and sun surround by golden wheat, and dies Christ-like for the good Rome! If this isn't out-and-out fascist, well, it's certainly ridiculously simplistic.). It's half Cecil B. DeMille, half George Lucas, tons and tons and tons of grand excess which it thinks is exciting (and probably was in 2000), loaded with spectacle, some of which looks good, some of which is dated. I have a certain soft spot for the old-style adventure it peddles and it's certainly fun in places, but it's really uneven and time hasn't been too kind to it. Incidentally, whether it's the fault of Scott, Phoenix, or the screenwriter, I don't know, but his whiny, effeminate character is one of the least effective villains ever-a sniveling idiot with daddy issues who's every action seems to happen solely because the screenplay says so. It tries to pay lip service to actual political intrigue, but the simplified needs of a blockbuster action movie make that impossible. In the end, you're left with a classic Hollywood film-raw spectacle, some of it good-looking, married to a stupid screenplay and story. Still, kind of fun, but has a classic identity crisis-it's a glorified B-movie with pretensions and grandeur that make it think it's smarter than it is. Though at least unlike The Ten Commandments, it actually ended before I'd lost all feeling in my lower body.
how did the DCP look?
Old 05-26-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I just watched X-Men First Class and X-Men Origins Wolverine on Blu-ray. I always thought First Class was overrated, and rewatching didn't change my opinion. Magneto and Xavier are good, everything else is either mediocre to just bad.

Oddly enough, I didn't mind Wolverine at all and don't think it's particularly bad. The movie is decent up until he gets the procedure done on him, just the rest of the movie is fairly boring. I really did wish they spent more of the movie on his childhood like the comic book Origin instead of speeding through it so quickly.
Old 05-27-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)

Instead of comparing this to the previous three movies, I'll compare it to other Part 4s.

Better than Ghost of Frankenstein, Halloween 4, Alien Resurrection, and Land of the Dead.

Worse than Mothra vs. Godzilla, Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Star Trek IV, and Ghost Protocol.

Equal to Frankenstein Created Woman, Rocky IV, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4, and Live Free or Die Hard.
Old 05-27-14, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts

2 Guns

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It was actually very entertaining with a lot of humorous dialogue. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg make a surprisingly effective partnership!
Old 05-27-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
how did the DCP look?
OK. Like the other "classic" films, I was the only one in the cinema, and they showed it on their most dingy little screen. I thought it looked OK, though maybe a bit washed out, I was expecting it to be a bit more vibrant, but the movie's color pallet is fairly muted anyway. I don't really have a point of reference-last time I was it was pan-and-scan on my old CRT TV, probably VHS, 13+ years ago. Going by what I saw there, it was solid, certainly better than the one the week before or after, by probably simply because of less advanced age. Did this use a DI? I don't think so, otherwise I'm sure they have made the DCP off of that. There weren't any new restoration credits at the end.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 05-27-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 12:45 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I, Frankenstein
Old 05-27-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts

Generation Iron --- 3.5/5
Old 05-27-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 506 Likes on 316 Posts

The Living Daylights and License To Kill

Besides the three Craig Bond films I like these two best.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.