Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 07-08-24, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Trigger Warning Netflix
Jessica Alba. Directed by Mouly Surya. 2024
A devoted daughter returns home and attempts to figure out the cause of her father's passing.

The plot of "Trigger Warning" reminds me of any number of mid-budget Action films from The Eighties. "Action Star" returns home following the death of a loved one and discovers that the shady "Town Boss" is responsible. The "Action Star" seeks Revenge and has to wade through the villain's henchman before he/she gets their hands on The Big Man. It's predictable but competent, and I enjoyed it for what it was.

Last edited by DWilson; 07-08-24 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-08-24, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 793 Likes on 644 Posts

Hulu.

"Debutante Rose Dugdale enjoys a life of privilege, but her rebellious nature soon leads her down a militant path. Her sympathy toward the IRA evolves into radicalization and culminates in an armed raid on an Irish estate."

It was not bad but felt bad for the people they raided.

The real Rose Dugdale died in March of this year.
Old 07-08-24, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MGM+

I heard of it but first time I saw it was this year.

It was good though I liked the 1st half where he was a kid more than the second half when he became a teenager.

It is surprising it got a "PG" rating when there a scene with people beating off in the theater and some nude scenes from the movies shown on the screen.
Old 07-08-24, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Under Paris Netflix
Berenice Bejo. Directed by Xavier Gens. 2024
Sophia, a brilliant scientist, learns from Mika, a young environmental activist, that a large shark is swimming deep in the Seine River in Paris. To avoid a bloodbath at the heart of the city, they have no choice but to join forces with Adil, the Seine River police commander.
In French with subtitles or English Dubbed.

"Under Paris" has a strong start, -a really grisly and effective opening, -but then it takes its time. It's not boring, the actors are credible, and it's a good-looking movie, but I guess I was expecting a bit more shark action. The story goes through the expected paces, where experts rattle off shark facts, and the people in charge don't want to listen to their warnings and you know someone will get eaten. Suddenly, about an hour in, the film gets down to the business of Carnage! and becomes a much better film. The ending left me a bit ambivalent, but that's all I'll say.
Old 07-09-24, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,084 Likes on 668 Posts

The Impostor (2012 documentary) - I'd heard just a little bit of this story previously, but didn't really know much. It's a wild story. A 13-year-old boy from San Antonio goes missing in 1994. Three years later, a French con-artist in Spain assumes the boy's identity to stay out of trouble with authorities. The missing boy was blond and blue-eyed, and the French guy had dark hair and dark eyes and speaks English with a heavy accent and is really 23 years old. And the boy's family... seemingly buys the story and welcomes him into their home back in Texas. I won't say more, but there's a lot of baffling decisions here.
It's a well-made doc with participation from most of the major players--especially the con-man--telling their part of the story on camera. The ending leaves you to draw some conclusions of your own about what happened to the missing boy, but there's no solid evidence and he is still considered missing.

Old 07-09-24, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Jaws - my dad told me about how he hates accordion music, especially when it's Lady of Spain. I thought about Quint singing it and realized it had been a while since I saw the movie. /themoreyouknow
Old 07-09-24, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Last Stop in Yuma County Well Go Usa Blu-Ray
Jim Cummings. Directed by Francis Galluppi. 2023
A traveling knife salesman is stranded and forced to wait at a rural rest stop and suddenly finds himself in the middle of a violent hostage situation upon the arrival of two bank robbers who are on the run after a recent heist.

A tense little sun-baked Southwestern Noir that reminded me of the Independent Thrillers of the late 90s. "Last Stop" is filled with twists and turns and irony and while it doesn't wrap up as neatly as it thinks it does, it's pretty good. I must admit some of the plot-twists surprised me. Francis Galluppi is a promising director, clearly influenced by the early Tarantino films, though I'm sure there's a bit of Coen Brothers in there, too. Terence Malick's "Badlands" is specifically referenced, as well. Galluppi reveals in the Bonus Material that he sold his home to make the film, -"Last Stop" has only made around 42K so far, -so I hope things work out for him.
Old 07-09-24, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MGM+

"A young Civil War veteran named Jackson wakes up to find his beautiful wife kidnapped by a band of ruthless bandits. With killers around every corner, the lines begin to blur between who are the good and the bad."

I think Hollywood was pushing Scott Eastwood to become a star in the mid 2010's with several leading roles and appearing in a Taylor Swift "Wildest Dreams" music video but that never panned out.
Old 07-09-24, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"Cowboy Johnny Black vows to gun down Brett Clayton, the man responsible for the death of his father. As he seeks vengeance, he becomes a wanted outlaw while posing as a preacher in a small mining town taken over by a notorious land baron."

This was no Black Dynamite and it was really long at 2 hrs and 36 minutes.
Old 07-10-24, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Minions
Old 07-10-24, 12:06 PM

Psycho
Old 07-10-24, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Three Musketeers Part II: Milady Samuel Goldwyn Films Blu-Ray
Eva Green. Directed by Martin Bourboulon. 2023
French w/Subtitles or English Dubbed.
D'Artagnan is forced to join forces with Milady to save Constance, who was kidnapped before his eyes. But as war is declared and Athos, Porthos and Aramis have already joined the front, a secret from the past shatters old alliances.

I went into this film thinking it was the second film and the conclusion of a two-part adaptation of the Alexandre Dumas novel "The Three Musketeers". However, the film ends on a cliffhanger, and so perhaps the filmmakers are aiming for a franchise.

"The Three Musketeers" is a lavish production with magnificent locations and costumes. The cinematography is commendable. It is, I'm told, loosely adapted from the novel, and as you might expect, brings a more modern sensibility to the characters and situations. To my mind it also dispenses with a lot of the fun, adventurous aspects of previous adaptations, leaning into heavy character drama and political intrigue. I was very much reminded of "Game of Thrones".

I remember enjoying Part One for the most part, but I was a bit bored with this chapter. Perhaps it caught me on the wrong day. The performances are fine. Obviously, Eva Green as "Milady" gets the most screen time and development, as does Francois Civil as D'artagnan. Veteran actor Vincent Cassell looks a little too old as Athos. It just feels like a hundred other Historical Dramas that preceded it, and considering all the other versions of this story, -many of them quite good, -I've seen this story many, many times.
Old 07-10-24, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"A single mother confronts a gambling addict awaiting execution on death row who's actions led to tragedy in her life. Flashbacks tell their back-story as they both struggle to express their feelings and find closure."

The badly reviewed movie that nobody likes but I loved though they could have used a more original title for the movie.

Renner and Driver were both great with a theme of restorative justice.
Old 07-11-24, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Inferno Mondo Macabro Blu-Ray
Meiko Harada. Directed by Tatsumi Kumashiro. 1979
Adulterous Miho, pregnant by her lover Ryuzo, is killed by her husband Unpei , but gives birth to daughter Aki shortly after dying. Aki, unwanted by her family, is sent to an orphanage and replaced by another child, Kumi. Twenty years later, Aki returns to the village where she was born and unwittingly acts as an instrument of vengeance for her mother, who is suffering in Hell for her sins.

"The Inferno" is a restoration of a Japanese Horror Fantasy that to my mind also contains the twisted family dynamics of an American Southern Gothic. The plot description above barely touches on how weird and strange this film is. This is a film that features a young girl literally damned from birth, an incestuous couple that you are meant to empathize with, a deranged woman locking a young woman in a cellar with the embalmed corpse of her murdered husband, and a trip into the bowels of Hell to witness the tortures of The Damned (including lost souls forever turning a giant wheel and demons boiling tiny humans in cooking pots). Funny enough, the film's raw carnality and moralistic tone reminded me of the films of Russ Meyer. "The Inferno" goes on too long, and some of the effects don't hold up, but it's such an odd little detour that it's worth a visit to this roadside attraction.
Old 07-11-24, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 07-11-24, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 646 Likes on 393 Posts

4/5

Took awhile to get going but when it did it was batshit crazy.
Old 07-11-24, 03:55 PM

Psycho II
Old 07-11-24, 08:43 PM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Criterion - 1971 - George Segal as an unconvincing junkie, although what do I know about junkies except other movies. Karen Black as his silly and stupid girlfriend, a role she unfortunately too often had to play. Not enough shots of rundown 70s NYC when it was a more interesting place. Hector Elizondo and Robert DeNiro in smaller roles. OK for a fan of 70s New York movies but a pass for anyone else.
Old 07-11-24, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To Die For Criterion Blu-Ray
Nicole Kidman. Directed by Gus Van Zant. 1995
Suzanne Stone wants to be on television and she is willing to do whatever it takes to get what she wants. As she pursues her goal with relentless focus, she refuses to let anything or anyone stand in her way.

Even though "To Die For" was written as a Dark Comedy almost 30 years ago, it almost feels like any of the True Crime Documentaries and series that fill Cable and Netflix today. Its excellent work from Kidman and a terrific cast overall. I saw this in the theater back in the day, and while it was clear that Kidman was going places, I'd have never guessed that Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck would eventually receive Best Actor Oscars over twenty years later. I had forgotten how the film ends, and David Cronenberg's significant cameo was a welcome surprise.
The following users liked this post:
DeFan (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 07-12-24, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson

To Die For Criterion Blu-Ray
Nicole Kidman. Directed by Gus Van Zant. 1995
Suzanne Stone wants to be on television and she is willing to do whatever it takes to get what she wants. As she pursues her goal with relentless focus, she refuses to let anything or anyone stand in her way.

Even though "To Die For" was written as a Dark Comedy almost 30 years ago, it almost feels like any of the True Crime Documentaries and series that fill Cable and Netflix today. Its excellent work from Kidman and a terrific cast overall. I saw this in the theater back in the day, and while it was clear that Kidman was going places, I'd have never guessed that Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck would eventually receive Best Actor Oscars over twenty years later. I had forgotten how the film ends, and David Cronenberg's significant cameo was a welcome surprise.

One of the best scenes was when Joaquin was banging her on a tree
Old 07-13-24, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Abigail Universal Pictures Blu-Ray
Melissa Barrera. Directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olin and Tyler Gillett. 2024
After a group of criminals kidnap the ballerina daughter of a powerful underworld figure, they retreat to an isolated mansion, unaware that they're locked inside with no normal little girl.

"Abigail" is a good little Horror film. It has a good cast for what I'm guessing was a modest budget including Melissa Barrera, the ubiquitous Dan Stevens, Kevin Durand, Kathryn Newton, and Giancarlo Esposito. Young Irish actress Alisa Weir does an excellent job in the complicated title role. There's a ton of cool practical effects and gallons of blood. The only thing wrong with it was the Theatrical trailer, which gives away Abigail's secret, (as does the blu-ray's packaging) and leaves you waiting quite a while for the bloody vampire action it promises. The same thing happened with "From Dusk Til Dawn", as I recall.
Old 07-13-24, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Challengers Warner Bros Blu-Ray
Zendaya. Directed by Luca Guadagnino. 2024
Tashi, a former tennis prodigy turned coach, turned her husband into a champion. But to overcome a losing streak, he needs to face his ex-best friend and Tashi's ex-boyfriend.

A really good-looking transfer that Warners just dumped on a disc with barely a menu. Go figure.

I didn't go into "Challengers" with the best of attitudes, but I came out liking it a bit more than I expected. I was unfamiliar with Josh O'Connor or Mike Faist, but I enjoyed their performances, and they created nicely dimensional characters. I believe the director did Zendaya a disservice, asking her to play a character that felt to me like an ever-changing plot device in a love story between two men.

I never felt like I was watching a film about Tennis, or that the filmmakers even cared about the game. It never seemed real to me. The story jumps back and forth in time, -sometimes hours, sometimes days, sometimes years, -to the point where it just becomes meaningless and confusing. The actors sold me on the story of these two guys, and it would have been more emotionally impactful had it been structured in a less flashy, more straightforward way.
Old 07-13-24, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2024 and just added to Netflix

"Before their separation, Elena and Pietro planned to renovate a farmhouse they had bought together. While Elena is away on a trip, Pietro takes the kids to the farmhouse — where they are kidnapped during the night."

Annabelle Wallis is hot AF so that is what lured me in

A twist comes in and then it feels like something from a Lifetime movie
Old 07-13-24, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts

Both first watches

Heartbreak Kid (1972) ****
Bulworth ***

Also tried to watch Nashville as Iíve never seen a Robert Altman film and because of Shelly Duvallís passing.

Yeah Atman isnít for me Ö.

Last edited by Nesbit; 07-13-24 at 01:26 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.