Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 06-21-24, 12:09 AM

Received 865 Likes on 568 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

The Great Train Robbery (1978) starring Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland, and Lesley-Ann Downs.

Love this film!

Donald Sutherland
The following 2 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
andicus (06-21-24), DWilson (06-21-24)
Old 06-21-24, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 213 Posts

The Cocoanuts Universal Blu-Ray
The Marx Brothers. Directed by Robert Florey. 1929
During the Florida land boom, the Marx brothers run a hotel, auction off some land, thwart a jewel robbery, and generally act like themselves.

I've seen the well-known clips from the early Marx Brothers films, with "Horse Feathers" being the only one I've seen all the way through. Their later MGM films like "A Night at the Opera" were part of local TV film packages when I was growing up, while their early films only played at Art House revivals. "Cocoanuts" is obviously extremely dated but it still works whenever The Marx Brothers are on the screen. This is an adaptation of a Marx Brothers stage show, and stuffs soporific Music and Dance numbers and just a little bit of story between the comedy routines. "Cocoanuts" features the terrific "Why A Duck?" routine between Groucho and Chico.

Animal Crackers Universal Blu-Ray
The Marx Brothers. Directed by Victor Heerman. 1930
Mayhem and zaniness ensue when a valuable painting goes missing during a party in honor of famed African explorer Captain Spaulding.

I enjoyed "Animal Crackers" much more than "Coconauts". It's just a sharper, better written and more cohesive film. It still has some unnecessary "song breaks" delivered by the Romantic Leads, but it also has Groucho and the cast performing "Hooray for Captain Spalding" which is just a brilliant piece of Musical Comedy. It's dated, sure, but it's mostly very funny, and the print is in great shape.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (06-21-24)
Old 06-21-24, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (06-30-24)
Old 06-21-24, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,007 Likes on 842 Posts

Klute...I just had too. it's a great movie, Fonda deserved that Oscar, but Sutherland was just so good and my tribute to a great fallen actor.

. Donald Sutherland
Old 06-21-24, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,007 Likes on 842 Posts

Chopping Mall...saw it once before and thought it was cheesy as hell and it still is, but a fun cheesy as hell. and the movie without credits is like 1:13 long. talk about short. that's like DC animated short.
Old 06-21-24, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 218 Posts

Trigger Warning (2024) - Netflix

Old 06-21-24, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fear and Desire Kino Lorber Blu-Ray
Frank Silvera. Directed by Stanley Kubrick. 1953
During a fictitious war in an unidentified country, four soldiers survive the crash-landing of their plane to find themselves in a forest six miles behind enemy lines. Their plans for getting back safely are sidetracked by a young woman who stumbles across them as they hide in the woods, and by the nearby presence of an enemy general who one member of the group is determined to kill.

Stanley Kubrick was a brilliant director who didn't make many films, but they were all certainly memorable. Well... almost. "Fear and Desire" was Kubrick's first film, a low budget affair he'd later deride as an "amateur exercise". Legend has it he tried to buy up all the existing prints so that it would never be seen.

It's an abstract War Story, with the characters more "types" than fully realized human beings. There are some dramatic scenes that work well, and visually Kubrick provides some striking compositions that hint at his future work. However, it's more of an intellectual exercise than a fully realized story that sticks with you. It has the look and feel of a low-budget black-and-white "Art Film", with all the dialogue recorded "in post" and sounding a bit artificial. There's a central performance by future noteworthy director Paul Mazursky as a young soldier who "snaps" under pressure that is embarrassingly over-the-top. Honestly, were it not a Stanley Kubrick film that i needed to check the box on, I would have bailed midway through.
Old 06-21-24, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 236 Likes on 204 Posts

Amazon Prime

fucking shit.

Old 06-21-24, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon Prime.

Danny Trejo

Old 06-22-24, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DeepStar Six Kino Lorber Blu-Ray
Greg Evigan. Directed by Sean Cunningham. 1989
The crew of an experimental underwater nuclear base are forced to struggle for their lives when their explorations disturb a creature who threatens to destroy their base.

Back in '89, there was this group of Underwater SF films that coincidentally came out about the same time, -"The Abyss", "Leviathan", and "DeepStar Six". In fact, "DeepStar Six" and "Leviathan" have pretty much the exact same ending. "DeepStar Six" had a deep cast of familiar faces, mostly from Television: Greg Evigan, Nancy Everhard, Cindy Pickett, Nia Peeples, Illya Baskin, Matt McCoy, and Taurean Blacque, with Miguel Ferrar chewing some scenery as the film's "Rat Bastard" (a role he often played). It's a competent film, and certainly piles on the Monster Action and Gore in the Third Act.

Watching the film, though, I was bothered by the actors' voices, which sounded reedy and slightly high-pitched. I wondered if the film was being shown at the wrong speed. It turns out that director Sean Cunningham (most notably the director of the original "Friday the 13th") likes to shoot his films at a rate of 22 frames per second rather than the natural rate of 24fps, which slightly speeds things up. He feels this gives the film a faster pace and nobody really notices the difference.
Old 06-22-24, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kung Fu Panda 4 (2024) - Peacock

Old 06-22-24, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Alley Cat (1984) — Oddly paced revenge thriller has a couple okay fight scenes from the lovely Karin Mani but there's no real stand-out moments and as a whole, pretty forgettable. **/***** (Blu-ray)
Old 06-22-24, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monkey Business Universal Blu-Ray
The Marx Brothers. Directed by Norman Z. McLeod. 1932
On a transatlantic crossing, the stowaway Marx Brothers get up to their usual antics and manage to annoy just about everyone on board the ship.

I'm continuing with the early Paramount Marx Brothers films. "Horse Feathers" is their first film that doesn't adapt a stage show and gets rid of the filler song-and-dance numbers. Of course, it's only 78 minutes long. It doesn't seem to be one of the more quoted Marx Brothers films, but I enjoyed it, nonetheless.
Old 06-22-24, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Recently bought

Old 06-23-24, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 666 Posts

John Wick 4
Old 06-23-24, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aftersun (2022) - Netflix

Old 06-23-24, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Bikeriders
Tom Hardy, Austin Butler, Jodie Comer. Directed by Jeff Nichols. 2024
After a chance encounter at a local bar, strong-willed Kathy is inextricably drawn to Benny, the newest member of Midwestern motorcycle club The Vandals led by the enigmatic Johnny. Much like the country around it, the club begins to evolve, transforming from a gathering place for local outsiders into a dangerous underworld of violence, forcing Benny to choose between Kathy and his loyalty to the club.

"The Bikeriders" offers good performances from the three leads and a strong supporting cast, and it really captures an atmosphere of its times and this group of characters. The story is framed as a series of interviews and is rather episodic, which keeps the drama from getting bogged down by some of the details, but some of those details would better flesh out the story and give it more impact. The fact that "The Hell's Angels" are never name-checked is a bit suspicious. The director's storytelling, -the way he used the camera, the way he used music, -reminded me of earlier Martin Scorsese films, -you know, before Marty got all ponderous. Overall, I enjoyed "The Bikeriders".
Old 06-23-24, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

(2024) - Hulu

Old 06-23-24, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Leviathan Kino Lorber 4K
Peter Weller. Directed by George P. Cosmatos. 1989
Perched on the hull of a wrecked Soviet freighter, a team of deep-sea miners—led by head oceanographer Steven Beck—comes face-to-face with a mutant creature that's the product of a failed genetic experiment. As Beck's crew members begin to disappear one by one, the flesh-eating monster lurks below the surface—and the divers left alive are scared to death.

Amazon delivered my copy of "Leviathan" today, and, unfortunately, I could hear a loose disc rattling around in the case. I figured I better just go ahead and watch the film right away to see if any damage had been done. Thankfully, both discs in the set played fine.

"Leviathan" is pretty much a rip-off of "Alien" and "The Thing" set in the ocean, but that doesn't keep it from being effective. Peter Weller is a great Heroic Lead and then you have character actors like Hector Elizondo, Ernie Hudson, and Daniel Stern, with Richard Crenna particularly good as a shady authority figure. Amanda Pays and Lisa Eilbacher are also featured. Jerry Goldsmith's expert score adds immeasurably to the film's Suspense factor. The late, great Stan Winston and his team provide the monster effects, and without the benefit of CGI, it's up to expert editing to hide the seams and make the creatures threatening, and most of the time it works. "Leviathan" is hardly a Classic, -actually, it's a "B" Movie with a budget, -but it manages to be an entertaining SF/Horror film.

Kino provides an excellent set of "Bonus" materials for the film.
Old 06-23-24, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 301 Likes on 247 Posts

Trancers 6. I watched all 6 Trancers films in the past 2 weeks via Tubi, Freevee, and Plex w/ads.

i have always wanted to see this series as I was aware it developed quite the following over the years. Also, the first three films and the Short film featured early Helen Hunt appearances, and she was great in these films.

Old 06-23-24, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 788 Likes on 640 Posts

It was crap
Old 06-23-24, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony Movie Channel

"Harry Berg (Michael Keaton) is both a con artist and an actual artist -- he constructs large sculptures out of television sets -- but he is not particularly successful in either role. He owes some money, which gets him involved with Rachel Dobs (Rae Dawn Chong), a police detective who works with a collection agency. When Harry comes into possession of a strange parcel, both the con man and the detective find themselves wrapped up in a sinister corporate plot to fix the lottery."

Maybe I saw it before but forgot and now I know why.

Rae Dawn Chong was the "It" girl but probably stopped getting roles when people discovered she was not a very good actress.
Old 06-23-24, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Peacock

It was not bad.

At first I thought Michelle Yeoh voiced the Chameleon but it was Viola Davis
Old 06-23-24, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own this

"Gary Hart, former senator of Colorado, becomes the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1987. Hart's intelligence, charisma and idealism makes him popular with young voters, leaving him with a seemingly clear path to the White House. All that comes crashing down when allegations of an extramarital affair surface in the media, forcing the candidate to address a scandal that threatens to derail his campaign and personal life."

I thought this was pretty good with a excellent cast.

Maybe if he did not drop out he still would have lost to Bush Sr. though his scandal seems like small potatoes compared to what Trump and Clinton and both of them became president.
Old 06-23-24, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

"An ambitious journalism student (Bel Powley) falls under the thrall of an esteemed yet cutthroat news reporter whom she's desperate to impress, even if it means manipulating her latest story - and the very idea of truth itself. The truth is a lie."

it was not bad but not great either.

Jacob Tremblay is getting older now which makes me feel old.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.