Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 06-13-24, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 790 Likes on 642 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

An uptight homesxual dwarf and his free-spirited, sex worker alien-obsessed neighbor hit the road on a border-defying search for their place in the universe."

The typical cliche Hollywood film we see these days.
Old 06-13-24, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix
Old 06-13-24, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Vagabond Harry (Danny Glover) pays an unexpected visit to his old chum Gideon (Paul Butler), who accepts the aimless man into his home, despite the fact that the household is already overcrowded. Hard-drinking yet charismatic, Harry both entertains and enrages Gideon and his wife, Suzie (Mary Alice). However, after Gideon falls gravely ill, Harry decides to step in and take his friend's place in the household. Unfortunately, his intentions are far from pure, and the consequences are tragic."

It is a drama and not a horror film or maybe it could be with the ending?

I had this on my DVR for several years.

Sad maybe a lot of the older people in the cast might not be with us anymore.
Old 06-13-24, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson

Inside Out Disney 4K
Amy Poehler. Directed by Pete Docter and Ronnie Del Carmen. 2015
After young Riley is uprooted from her life in Minnesota and moved to San Francisco, her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness - conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house, and school.

With "Inside Out 2" being released Thursday, I thought I should re-visit the original. I was surprised to find that while I remembered the characters, I had forgotten a lot of the story.
Pixar made a terrific film. It's both clever and at times genuinely touching. It's a great-looking disc and the 4K really highlights the colors and gives the animation a more tactile quality than the blu-ray. Charming score by Michael Giacchino.

Did you buy that recently?

I think it is OOP and hard to find at Amazon and Target unless you try 3rd party sellers.
Old 06-13-24, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,084 Likes on 668 Posts

No One Will Save You Hulu via Disney+ 4K
Kaitlyn Dever. Directed by Brian Duffield. 2023
An isolated young woman, living apart from her community because of a past trauma, finds her home invaded by alien beings.

I tried watching this when it first dropped last Fall. Unfortunately, I fell asleep about ten minutes in (not the movie's fault), but I knew I'd get back to it one day.

A good, efficient SF/Horror film. Even though the gimmick is that there's only maybe three words of dialogue, it all flowed very naturally. Kaitlyn Dever gives an excellent physical and emotional performance and Brian Duffield squeezes a lot of tension out of his CGI "Grays". I watched it in 4K on Disney+, and as always, the HDR on the dark scenes was muddier than the 4K on other services. After it was over, I did some comparisons to the HD stream on Hulu, and the dark scenes were somewhat brightened but better detailed, and I kind of wished I had watched it there.
I watched this recently and thought it was well done. Not sure I liked the ending, but the rest of it was worth it.
Old 06-13-24, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

The Sting
Old 06-13-24, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 213 Posts

Monsters University Disney+ 4K
Billy Crystal, John Goodman. Directed by Dan Scanlon. 2013
A look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley during their days at the University of Fear -- when they weren't necessarily the best of friends.

"Monsters University" is one of the few Pixar films I passed on back in the day, -I really wasn't a big fan of the original, which skewed "too young" for grumpy old me. I hadn't realized it's been over ten years since it came out. I figured I'd kill the rest of the afternoon with it.

The film is beautifully animated, down to the smallest detail. The story is a fairly innocuous pastiche of "Revenge of the Nerds" and other "College Comedies", and as such it's decent light entertainment. However, the last twenty minutes seemed to go on forever.
Old 06-13-24, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brats Hulu
Directed by Andrew McCarthy. 2024
Actor Andrew McCarthy meets with fellow actors who were branded "The Brat Pack" back in The '80s and discuss how that designation defined their careers for a time.

It's a good documentary, more reflective than gossipy. No great secrets are revealed, and the encounters are generally relaxed. It occasionally strays into side topics that aren't particularly germane to the topic at hand. While it's not particularly profound, it's entertaining if you're interested in the subject matter.
Old 06-13-24, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 236 Likes on 204 Posts

HULU

Old 06-13-24, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

Raised in the wilderness, Cea Sunrise Person navigates a complicated relationship with her pot-smoking mother (Sarah Gadon) while seeking some semblance of normalcy.

Robert Carlyle played "Papa Dick"

It was not bad

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 06-13-24 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-13-24, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A rare HBO films release

"Broadway actress Lillian Hall pours her heart and soul into preparing for her next big role but finds herself blindsided by confusion and forgetfulness. She strives to make it to opening night while holding on to her fading memories and identity."

Probably a lock Jessice Lange gets a Emmy nomination or win for this role.

They don't make a lot of them these days and too bad since they had some good ones with Phil Specter, Temple Grandin, Behind the Candelabra etc with good actors.
Old 06-13-24, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Did you buy that recently?

I think it is OOP and hard to find at Amazon and Target unless you try 3rd party sellers.
Re: Inside Out 4K

I checked my receipts and I bought that off ebay back in November 2019, with sleeve, no digital. Played fine.
Old 06-13-24, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I watched this recently and thought it was well done. Not sure I liked the ending, but the rest of it was worth it.
Re: No One Will Save You

I was a little unsure about the ending, so I looked up it up on Wikipedia to see if their interpretation of the ending was in sync with my version.
Old 06-14-24, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 06-14-24, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lola Severin Blu-Ray
Emma Appleton, Stephanie Martini. Directed by Andrew Legge. 2022
In 1940, sisters Thom and Mars have built a machine, LOLA, that can intercept radio and TV broadcasts from the future, and they attempt to save Britain from Nazi aggression. Unfortunately, they do not foresee the consequences of tampering with the future.

I hadn't really ever heard of "Lola" when it turned up on my County Library's "Hold" page, so I went into it with no particular expectations. It turns out to be a Black-and-White "Found Footage" SF film, mixing archival footage with new footage intended to look like it was shot with 1940s era film cameras (scratched and grainy film, shaky footage). For the most part the illusion works, though there are moments that look a little too sharp, or scenes that don't really reflect the period.

Overall, it's a clever genre film with good performances from the two female leads. It's reminiscent of the 2004 film "Primer", though "Lola" is less deliberately obscure. It even answers the usual question that comes up with "Found Footage" films, -"Who assembled this footage into a narrative and why?" I thought for a moment they might have botched the ending with an out-of-place "Action Climax", but it settles down and ends up being a satisfying little tale.
Old 06-14-24, 06:57 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 846 Posts

Bully..the first of my Larry Clark marathon. Have Kids and Ken Park set to go next. So glad the Kids and Bully Australian Blus are great and have substantial extras. I actually saw Kids in a theater when it was only showing in 37 places in the US. This Philly place I went to while visiting Temple University. With a friend who i don’t think really liked it.
Old 06-14-24, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Inside Out 4K

I checked my receipts and I bought that off ebay back in November 2019, with sleeve, no digital. Played fine.

You can keep them in your collection and not sell it
Old 06-14-24, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

A Swedish film dubbed into English

"Agnes' older sister Julia possesses everything that Agnes dreams of: she's the coolest person in school, the center of every party, and she's dating Noel. If only Agnes could be more like her. When the worst possible thing occurs, Agnes' world is turned upside down and she's forced to reinvent herself."

Zarra Larsson the pop star played the cooler sister
Old 06-14-24, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

It sucked
Old 06-14-24, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu
Old 06-14-24, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,084 Likes on 668 Posts

Hit Man
Old 06-15-24, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Warner Bros Blu-Ray
Rebecca Hall. Directed by Adam Wingard. 2024
Two ancient titans, Godzilla and Kong, clash in an epic battle as humans unravel their intertwined origins and connection to Skull Island's mysteries.

I felt that when I rewatched "Godzilla vs Kong" just before the new film opened in theaters, I'd be able to overlook some of my problems with the film when I saw it in the theater. Instead I grew even more annoyed with all the comic relief, and the "Hollow Earth" concept was just a huge eyeroll for me. I skipped "Godzilla x Kong" in the theater, -the first "Titan" film I'd miss. But that didn't mean I wouldn't watch it on home video, particularly since it was free.

I was pretty good with the first two-thirds of "Godzilla x Kong", as the comic relief material was dialed back considerably. Bryan Tyree Henry seemed a less annoying character this time. I really didn't mind things like "Kong goes to the dentist" or "Kong's Power Glove" and I actually enjoyed Kong using the young ape as a club. It's just that long, last fight that kind of lost me, -it was all a bit too ridiculous. At first, I was annoyed that Godzilla, in spite of getting top billing, was just a glorified "guest star" in the film. But looking at him near the end, I didn't really care for this make-over that gave him these big muscular arms and the ability to sprint. To be honest, I didn't like the silly stuff when the old Toho films did it. Thankfully, we got "Godzilla Minus Zero" to do the character justice.
Old 06-15-24, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trainspotting Criterion Blu-Ray
Ewan McGregor. Directed by Danny Boyle. 1996
Renton, deeply immersed in the Edinburgh drug scene, tries to clean up and get out, despite the allure of the drugs and influence of friends.

In terms of movie-going, The Nineties was a great time for going to the city's "Arthouse" Cinemas and seeing Independent Films. There were so many great theaters and memorable film experiences, and I think of "Trainspotting" as one of the fundamental UK Indie films of the period.

"Trainspotting" remains a great film and a great time capsule, as well. By turns Funny, and immensely Grim, both Clever and unbearably Horrific, with great young cast we'd be seeing a lot more of over the years. I was impressed by Danny Boyle's "Shallow Grave" (also with Ewan McGregor), and "Trainspotting" cemented him in my head as a director to follow.

And I always have to watch "Trainspotting" with the "Subtitles" on.

Old 06-15-24, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A League of Their Own Sony 4K
Geena Davis. Directed by Penny Marshall. 1992
During World War II, two sisters join the first female professional baseball league and struggle to help it succeed amid their own growing rivalry.

This is actually the first time I've watched this film. It's a pleasant, warm-hearted film. The script was by Lowell Ganz and Bobaloo Mandel, who were veterans of Gary Marshall's sitcom "factory" and graduated to scripting big screen comedies like "Splash", "Night Shift" and "Parenthood". These were guys who knew how to turn out genial one-liners, while telling an engaging story, a talent that seems to be lacking, -or unwanted, -these days.

I'm ambivalent about the open and close of the film, which visits the characters of the film at a reunion decades later. In these sequences the actors in the main body of the story, -like Geena Davis and Lori Petty, -are replaced by older women who sort of look like them, I'm sure Penny Marshall felt that it was more convincing or cost effective than putting everyone in old-age make-up, but it took me out of the picture.

Other than that, I enjoyed "A League of Their Own", and the picture quality of the disc is exceptional.
Old 06-15-24, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu Exclusive

"When a man is offered a million dollars to play a game in which hunters try to kill him, he thinks he has found the perfect loophole: they can only attack when he's alone. His only problem is that none of his friends or family believe the game is real."

The directing debut of Jake Johnson and Andy Samberg drops by.

Is Anna Kendrick taking a break or raising a family? She was everywhere and now you rarely see her in anything.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.