Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 06-03-24, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

China O'Brien (1990) — Perfectly adequate timewaster especially if you're a fan of Cynthia Rothrock kicking butt, including her signature scorpion kick early on. Not top shelf from her but still watchable. ***/***** (4K Ultra HD)
Old 06-04-24, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 793 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Would it have been worse if you watched it on a Tuesday?

No I try to watch new movies on Fri and Sat
Old 06-04-24, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson

Judgment Night Warner Archive Blu-Ray
Emilio Estevez. Directed by Stephen Hopkins. 1993
On their way to a boxing match, 4 friends get off the expressway in the worst part of town to avoid a traffic jam. But they cross paths with a psychotic drug lord, Fallon, who kills one of his subordinates right before their eyes--and wants no witnesses.

Having watched "Trespass" earlier in the day, it seemed to follow that I should watch "Judgment Night" tonight; I tend to link them because they came out less than a year apart and are very similar films. While "Trespass" strives for a gritty realism, "Judgment Night" is more of a Horror/Action hybrid, like The Director's previous film "Predator 2". This time Dennis Leary and his henchmen are the marauding "monster" the good guys are trying to escape from. It even has a "Predator-esque" score from Alan Silvestri. It's a tense, under-rated Thriller with a particularly good performance from Cuba Gooding, Jr, and Emilio Estevez really resembles his father Martin Sheen when he was in his Thirties.

While the disc has no extras, it's a quality presentation of the film, which has a striking use of Color.

I have that and Trespass in the collection though Judgment Night was better.

I think it broke ground for the first rap and metal crossovers on the soundtrack which seemed new at the time and probably a preview of what would become big in the aughts.
Old 06-04-24, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

"Patricia "Trish" Weir is committed to putting her kidnapper and rapist Ernesto Miranda in prison, while her life is destroyed by the legal system."

I thought maybe it would be second rate with the cast and be like a Lifetime movie but it was not bad and you learn a little history too.
Old 06-04-24, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 218 Posts

K-Movie - Troll Factory (2024)

Im Sang-Jin (Son Suk-Ku) works as a reporter for a newspaper company, but he has been suspended due to a negative report he wrote about a conglomerate. One day, Im Sang-Jin receives a tip. The tip is about a troll farm called Team Alley. Members of the troll farm are Jjingbboekking (Kim Sung-Cheol), Chattatkat (Kim Dong-Hwi) and Paebtaek (Hong Kyung). While investigating Team Allep, Im Sang-Jin faces the powerful existence behind the troll farm.
Old 06-04-24, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 213 Posts

Meet John Doe ClassicFlix Blu-Ray
Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck. Directed by Frank Capra. 1941
Soon-to-be out of work newpaper reporter Ann Mitchell prints a phony note from "John Doe" claiming he will commit suicide on Christmas Eve in protest of the state of civilization. Public response mandates Ann and the paper produce a John Doe, so they find former baseball pitcher "Long John" Willoughby. John Doe's speeches, written by Ann, inspire people across the country, until ruthless politician D.B. Norton plots to use the movement for his own gain.

Frank Capra's classic Morality Tale has been painstakingly restored by "ClassicFlix"; it looks very good for the most part, though there are occasional soft passages. Barbara Stanwyck is terrific in the type of smart, ballsy role she practically patented, and Gary Cooper, with his clipped speech, and gaunt demeaner, is an unlikely charmer. By the way, neither looks anything like the actors painted on the cover. It's very much in the spirit of Capra's "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", -a sincere tale heralding the Everyman that you'd love to believe in, and it remains a touching film.

Last edited by DWilson; 06-11-24 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-04-24, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"Daniel (Marcus Scribner) cares for his autistic little brother (Lonnie Chavis) after their parents' mysterious disappearance."

I thought it was pretty good.

Method Man was really scary as the dad.
Old 06-04-24, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,084 Likes on 668 Posts

Kandahar

Old 06-04-24, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you like Kandahar?

I did not really care for it.
Old 06-04-24, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd give it a 'meh'. I didn't care for the characters much. The action was okay, but nothing special.
Old 06-05-24, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (2023)
Old 06-05-24, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Imaginary Lionsgate DVD
DeWanda Wise. Directed by Jeff Wadlow. 2024
A woman returns to her childhood home to discover that the imaginary friend she left behind is very real and unhappy that she abandoned him.

I read somewhere that Blumhouse did some Market Research with Horror fans, -their fanbase, essentially, -and discovered that most fans were introduced to their favorite Horror films by their parents or other family members. I remember as a kid watching "Spooky" Fright films (nothing R-rated) with my mother or my sisters and having a good time being scared. So Blumhouse feels that there is a market for Horror films that The Family can enjoy together and that's why they say they produce so many PG-13 Horror films like "Imaginary".

I'm hardly a kid anymore. I found the situations in "Imaginary" dreary and the characters unpleasant. I just couldn't get into it.

Old 06-05-24, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
I read somewhere that Blumhouse did some Market Research with Horror fans, -their fanbase, essentially, -and discovered that most fans were introduced to their favorite Horror films by their parents or other family members. I remember as a kid watching "Spooky" Fright films (nothing R-rated) with my mother or my sisters and having a good time being scared. So Blumhouse feels that there is a market for Horror films that The Family can enjoy together and that's why they say they produce so many PG-13 Horror films like "Imaginary"..
Heh. I was a 70s/80s kid, and my introduction to horror was on nights when my parents were out and my older sister would rent R-rated slasher movies with her friends and watch them at our house. And of course I would watch, too, and then be scared shitless that murderers were lurking in every dark corner.
Old 06-05-24, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Arthur The King Lionsgate Blu-Ray
Mark Wahlberg. Directed by Michael Cellan Jones. 2023
An adventure racer adopts a stray dog named Arthur to join him in an epic endurance race.

The minute I saw the trailer for "Arthur the King", I knew I was in trouble. If the filmmakers did their job right, I'd be a wreck by the end of the story.

It's an excellent film. I can see why it got such high audience satisfaction scores. I was surprised that "Arthur" didn't "take over" the film, and only appears in brief vignettes in the first hour; the film rightly concentrates on Wahlberg's character, and the endurance race he and his team are competing in. Mark Wahlberg is quite good in the film, -it plays to his strengths, -and his performance is natural and sincere. The dog is quite good as well (credit to both the dog and the trainer), and never comes across as anything but a real dog. And, yes, I had a lump in my throat before it was all over.

Last edited by DWilson; 06-05-24 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-05-24, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"A former martial arts prodigy is sentenced to perform community service at a rundown karate school. During a local MMA match, he encounters the man who killed his parents a decade earlier."

Martin Kove and Michael Biehn were in it and Jen Brown was a smokeshow.

Your life will not be complete if you miss this movie
Old 06-06-24, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flatliners Starz 4K
Nina Dobrev. Directed by Niels Arden Oplev. 2017
Medical students experiment on "near death" experiences that involve past tragedies until the dark consequences begin to jeopardize their lives.

I never was the biggest fan of the original "Flatliners", but I re-visited it a while back and it held up well as something of a SF/Horror Movie. Joel Schumacher lucked into a great, highly watchable cast and he presented the story with some stylish camerawork. The 2017 remake came and went without a flicker of interest from anyone, and I was morbidly curious to give it a look. Neils Arden Oplev, -who directed the original "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". -brings a lot of visual flair and digital enhancements to the proceedings, -but the script doesn't bring anything new or interesting to the table, and the performances are competent but not very compelling. Yeah, it's just easily forgettable...

Last edited by DWilson; 06-11-24 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-06-24, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Under Paris (2024) - Netflix

Old 06-06-24, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Red Right Hand Hoopla
Orlando Bloom. Directed by Esholm Nelms and Ian Nelms. 2024
Cash is trying to live an honest and quiet life, but when Big Cat forces him back into her services, he proves capable of anything to protect the town and the only family he has left.

A gritty, grisly Backwoods Crime Story involving a former Meth Mafia enforcer trying to stay out of the life, but, of course, they keep pulling him back in. Orlando Bloom, who 20 years ago was in "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Lord of the Rings", is surprisingly convincing as the anti-hero lead and sweet old Andi MacDowell is pretty effective as the murderous matriarch of a Crime Family. Garret Dillahunt also has a nice supporting role. I see this gets a lot of crap on IMDB (some seem offended that Bloom is doing this kind of film) and while I'll admit it didn't re-invent the wheel, I enjoyed all the bloody shoot-outs and how frustratingly gruesome it all was and just wanted Bloom to get his revenge on the worse guys.
Old 06-06-24, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Peacock

It is not the best Coen brother project but ok passable entertainment.

The Matt Damon character
Old 06-06-24, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hundreds of Beavers Hoopla
Ryland Brickson Cole Tews. Directed by Mike Cheslik. 2022
In this 19th century supernatural winter epic, a drunken applejack salesman must go from zero to hero and become North America's greatest fur trapper by defeating hundreds of beavers.

This is a black-and-white essentially silent film that tries with all its might to be a Live-Action Cartoon. While trapper Jean Kayak is portrayed by an actor with far too many names, all the animals, -rabbits, beavers, dogs and more, -are portrayed by full-grown actors in dime-a-dozen animal costumes, along with the occasional fish puppet. The physical gags come a mile-a-minute and are pure Looney Tunes slapstick, set against obvious practical sets with digital enhancements and stop motion. I've got to admit my admiration for the filmmakers' dedication and spirit. I know there's an audience that will really appreciate this film and it's done well at festivals and such, but just sitting here at home, it really didn't work for me.
Old 06-06-24, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Big Naomi Watts fan but did not care for this
Old 06-06-24, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Bad Boys: Ride or Die

Saw it last night and had a great time. Lots of laughs and awesome action.
Old 06-07-24, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,071 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
Under Paris (2024) - Netflix
Was it stupid fun bad or Meg 2 bad?
Old 06-07-24, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
Was it stupid fun bad or Meg 2 bad?
Maybe Meg 2 bad i guess. The storyline was awful. When the mayor says "sharks are harmless to humans" you know it's stupid.
Old 06-07-24, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bob Marley: One Love Paramount Blu-Ray
Kingsley Ben-Adir. Directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green. 2024
Following Bob Marley and detailing his life and music as he plans a unity concert to stop the violence in Jamaica caused by warring political factions.

I'm aware of Bob Marley and his music and that's about it. From my uninformed point-of-view the film feels fairly authentic in its portrayal of the times and the situation, and Kingsley Ben-Adir is very convincing as Bob Marley. However, the film is so laid-back as a Drama that I found myself struggling to maintain my interest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.