Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 05-14-24, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 196 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Evil Under the Sun Amazon Prime
Peter Ustinov. Directed by Guy Hamilton. 1982
Hercule Poirot travels to an exclusive island resort frequented by the rich and famous. When a murder is committed, everyone has an alibi...

This was the fourth in a series of All-Star Agatha Christie adaptations that began with "Murder on the Orient Express" in 1975. As the films went on, the stars were drawn from a little further down on the roster. Here we have TCM favorites James Mason, and Roddy McDowell, joined by Maggie Smith, and Diana Rigg, with Peter Ustinov as Poirot. Ustinov's perfectly fine, but I preferred the heavily made-up and slightly edgier Albert Finney in "Orient Express". It's a very polished production though it moves at a mannered pace, -the murder doesn't occur until one hour in and concludes with a 20-minute sequence of Poirot deconstructing the crime. It's very "Old School", but entertaining if you're in the mood for it.
Old 05-14-24, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 190 Posts

Re-watch

Old 05-14-24, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 742 Likes on 605 Posts

Starz

"After the tragic death of her mother, young Care is abruptly placed under the care of her father, Randy who is down on his luck. Care must navigate a new life with a dad she never knew existed."

It felt like a TV show but with heavy use of the "N" word.
Old 05-14-24, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon Prime

I wish it was not shot in 4:3 which was annoying and feels cheap when you want the cinematic experience
Old 05-15-24, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

American Fiction Amazon Prime 4K
Jeffrey Wright. Directed by Cord Jefferson. 2023
Monk is a frustrated novelist who's fed up with the establishment profiting from "Black" entertainment that relies on tired and offensive tropes. To prove his point, Monk uses a pen name to write his own outlandish "Black" book--that propels him into the heart of hypocrisy and the madness he claims to disdain.

From the trailer I expected "American Fiction" to be a straightforward Satire. Instead, it turned out to be more of a solid Family Drama with the Satiric premise as a motivating thread. Cord Jefferson shows a lot of talent, but the film is over-stuffed with good material in both storylines, and I felt like each one took away from the other. The Family sub-plots are all well-written and sensitively performed in and of themselves, but there's just too many of them and the tone sort of clashes with the storyline of Monk selling his book, which is all very cynical and populated with two-dimensional characters.
Old 05-15-24, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 739 Posts

Good Neighbours

Old 05-15-24, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember when AXS TV or HDNET Movies in the early 2010's had Good Neighbors as a movie premiere
Old 05-15-24, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

It had been a while since I last saw it.

It makes you feel sleepy for some reason when you watch it and strange since it is a movie about junkies.

A crime Ellen Burtsyn did not win a Oscar for this since she went completely bonkers and I thought she was a drug addict in real life.

BTW Jennifer Connelly poses nude in front of a mirror and she is not a shaver or that applied just for the movie.
Old 05-15-24, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Madame Web (2024) - Netflix

Old 05-15-24, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 996 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Amazon Prime

I wish it was not shot in 4:3 which was annoying and feels cheap when you want the cinematic experience
I felt the same way the other day when I watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Old 05-15-24, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But that was a older movie so they had a valid excuse but Saltburn in 2023 shame on them.
Old 05-15-24, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Age of Adaline Amazon Prime
Blake Lively. Directed by Lee Toland Krieger. 2015
29-year-old Adaline survives a near-death experience, and from that day on, never grows older. Adaline guards her secret and her heart for eight decades until a charming philanthropist and his parents force Adaline to confront her destiny.

I never gave this movie much thought before, but it was recommended the other day as a Fantasy Film, so I figured I'd give it a go. Of course, it's more of a Romantic Fantasy, but I can work with that. It's not a bad film, actually, though the plot hinges on a massive coincidence, -that cautious and secretive Adaline, strictly by chance, meets and falls in love with a man who just happens to be the son of an old flame. Blake Lively does a respectable job, and Harrison Ford is quite good in a difficult, surprisingly emotional role.
Old 05-16-24, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I remember when AXS TV or HDNET Movies in the early 2010's had Good Neighbors as a movie premiere
I hadn't seen it before, but usually like stuff with Jay Baruchel.

It wasn't terrible, but it was VERY predictable.
Old 05-16-24, 11:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Planet of the Apes 1968: A well deserved classic. Everyone knows the catchphrases and the genius ending but it's actually a good movie. Screenplay by Rod Serling, interesting location shooting and a great soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith. Charlton Heston wants a gun. Ha, Ha. Religion is nonsense. It considers issues of race, class, and animal rights but remains content to comment broadly on humanity's inability to see beyond itself. Eight more to go if I want to continue this.
Old 05-16-24, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Horns Amazon Prime
Daniel Radcliffe. Directed by Alexandre Aja, 2013
In the aftermath of his girlfriend's mysterious death, a young man awakens to strange horns sprouting from his temples.

I've seen this kicking around for years on Streaming, -and I like its director, Alexandre Aja (|"High Tension", "Crawl"), -and yet I never got around to watching it.

"Horns" is an unusual and ambitious Horror Fantasy. I wasn't surprised to see during the end credits that it was adapted from a novel by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son), because it just has a ridiculous amount of plot for one little movie. "Horns" seems to take a left turn story-wise every twenty minutes or so, -at one point it's a Dark Comedy about Radcliffe's horns causing people to confess their deepest secrets, and then it's a Murder Mystery built around flashbacks, and, eventually, a Revenge Drama with Radcliffe in full "Devil" cosplay. Funny enough, it's that "shaggy dog" quality that I rather enjoyed about the film. It's anything but "by-the-numbers", -it's more like the numbers got thrown in a hat and tossed in the air. Daniel Radcliffe is quite good, and the cast includes David Morse, Juno Temple, James Remar, and Joe Anderson. Of course, there are a few unanswered questions that come to mind after it's all over, but for the most part I'm glad I got around to this.

Last edited by DWilson; 05-17-24 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-16-24, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
I hadn't seen it before, but usually like stuff with Jay Baruchel.

It wasn't terrible, but it was VERY predictable.

I like his stuff too

Check out Blackberry

if you have Hulu it is on there or AMC + probably
Old 05-16-24, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon Prime

One of the rare movies in my que that was not labeled "To Rent" or "To Buy"

"After her husband's tragic accident, a woman obsesses over a mysterious portrait that resembles him as he used to be. But when the portrait begins to terrorize her, she must decide whether it's possessed - or if she's simply losing her mind."

I was into it a little in the begining and then nothing happen and when it did I lost interest and did not care anymore.
Old 05-16-24, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO

"Vinny "The Pazmanian Devil" Pazienza (Miles Teller), a local Providence boxer, shoots to stardom after winning two world title fights. After a near-fatal car accident leaves him with a broken neck, he is told he may never walk again. Against all odds and doctor's orders, renowned trainer Kevin Rooney (Aaron Eckhart) agrees to help Vinny return to the ring just a year after the accident for what could be the last fight of his life."

I saw it before though I never saw any of his fights but knew the name.

It was not bad and one of Teller's better performances along with Aaron Eckhardt who was great too.
Old 05-16-24, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TCM

I think you can watch it for free on Tubi.

"The story of Z Channel, one of the first U.S. pay cable stations and its programming chief, Jerry Harvey. Debuting in 1974 in LA, their eclectic slate of movies became a prime example of the untapped power of cable television."

It was before my time or when I was really young and it was the first premium cable channel in L.A. before HBO was born.

Jerry Harvey was a nutjob but he was responsible for the long extended directors cuts of "Once Upon A Time in America" and "1900" to be available to view at home.
Old 05-16-24, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Awaiting a visit by a committee that could give his company an award for excellence, the owner of an industrial scales manufacturing business tries to resolve any problems from his workers."

More like the bad boss
Old 05-16-24, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

"A former special forces agent is waging a war on the streets of Amsterdam when he runs into the city's gangs on his quest to rescue his friend's daughter from their clutches."

Shocking news Frank Grillo plays the villain in this movie.

At first I thought Rico Verhoeven was related to the director Paul Verhoeven.

He has the size and build and he is a former MMA fighter but not the charisma to be a B movie star.

Old 05-16-24, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeFan

Planet of the Apes 1968: A well deserved classic. Everyone knows the catchphrases and the genius ending but it's actually a good movie. Screenplay by Rod Serling, interesting location shooting and a great soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith. Charlton Heston wants a gun. Ha, Ha. Religion is nonsense. It considers issues of race, class, and animal rights but remains content to comment broadly on humanity's inability to see beyond itself. Eight more to go if I want to continue this.
The original Planet of the Apes movies are the only ones that I liked though the one with James Franco was ok.
Old 05-17-24, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 05-17-24, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thinner Shout Factory Blu-Ray
Robert John Burke. Directed by Tom Holland. 1996
An obese lawyer is cursed by a gypsy to lose weight...and lose weight...and lose weight...

An entertaining, -and I feel under-rated, - Horror film from Tom Holland (not that one, -this one directed the exceptional "Fright Night" and the original "Child's Play"). It's adapted from a novel by Stephen King, writing as "Richard Bachman". The film was poorly reviewed overall and not a hit. Robert John Burke does terrific work under strenuous conditions, wearing various fat suits and layers of prosthetic make-up appliances throughout the film. The make-up and prosthetic work is just exceptional and is extremely believable for the most part. Let's face it, if the make-up doesn't work, the film doesn't work. In an included interview Tom Holland says the film tested well, -until the ending, and they never found one that worked for the audience at the time. To my mind, it's not dissimilar to the ending pf "Pet Sematary". Holland feels the film has been re-evaluated over the years and that it's more appreciated these days. I don't know about that, but I enjoyed it. The Shout "Collector's Edition" comes with several good interviews and three commentary tracks. The picture quality is quite good with boosted colors, though occasionally skin tones can be a bit orange-ish.