Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 04-14-24, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 202 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

One-Percent Warrior Well Go USA Blu-Ray
Tak Sakaguchi. Directed by Yudai Yamaguchi. 2023
Two ruthless yakuza gangs interrupt the shooting of an action flick at an abandoned factory. The action star isn't too pleased. One hundred yakuza against one? Pfff, too easy.

“One Percent Warrior” is an Independent Action film that aspires to be something more. The film begins as a rather “meta” character study of Takuma Toshiro, an actor who was a bit of a one-hit wonder with a Japanese Martial Arts film a few years ago, but now is a bitter supporting player unimpressed with current state of Action choreography.

Choosing to shoot his own film project, he finds himself in a real Action Movie scenario, which plays as a pretty typical Action film with Toshiro fighting a pair of over-the-top villains and an army of henchmen. The film is given a little flavor with some ambitious drone camerawork and a few “Artsy” confrontations (a slow-motion fight set to “Claire de Lune”). There is an interesting twist in the final act.
Old 04-14-24, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Argylle Apple+
Bryce Dallas Howard. Directed by Matthew Vaughn. 2024
Elly Conway, an introverted spy novelist who seldom leaves her home, is drawn into the real world of espionage when the plots of her books get a little too close to the activities of a sinister underground syndicate. When Aiden, a spy, shows up to save her (he says) from being kidnapped or killed (or both), Elly and her beloved cat Alfie are plunged into a covert world where nothing, and no one, is what it seems.

For a while I was thinking that "Argylle" was much better than its unanimous bad reviews led me to believe. Then the movie went on wayyyy too long, piling on twist after twist until I was pretty bored with it. The film also relies on too many cartoonish stunts and CGI-enhanced flourishes that took me out of the picture. I like Matthew Vaughn and I think he could have had a real charmer here, if he'd just let the film and the characters breathe a little.
Old 04-14-24, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts

Watched the Hulu version a couple months ago for the first time. Watched the complete rest of the franchise last year.

First time owning any of them $54.55 Total (w/ 20% March code - from Movies Unlimited)

Old 04-15-24, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All That Money Can Buy Criterion Blu-Ray
Walter Huston, Edward Arnold. Directed by William Dieterle. 1941
Jabez Stone is a hard-working farmer trying to make an honest living, but a streak of bad luck tempts him to bargain with the Devil himself. In exchange for seven years of good fortune, Stone promises "Mr. Scratch" his soul. But when the troubled farmer begins to realize the error of his choice, he enlists the aid of the one man who might save him: the legendary orator and politician Daniel Webster.

This is an old classic that has existed with many different titles, and many different run-times. Criterion's version restores "All That Money Can Buy", -an adaptation of Stephen Vincent Benet's "The Devil and Daniel Webster", - to its original Theatrical length and restores its picture quality. I had never seen the film before and it's quite enjoyable. The black-and-white film looks great, and the director uses light and shadow to create some genuinely creepy Fantasy sequences. Walter Huston (father of Director/Actor John Huston) seems to be having a high old time as The Devil and steals all his scenes. The great Bernard Herrman provides a typically powerful score.

Old 04-15-24, 09:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Considered a classic noir with Joan Fontaine as a manipulative woman. I didn't care for it much, not really seeing below the surface until the third act where they bash you over the head with it. The story about Howard Hughes insisting the airplane stuff be put in is amusing and the Carol Burnett parody is pretty funny. Extra points for a film poster that has nothing to do with the movie.
Old 04-15-24, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts

Starz

"A man is haunted by the ghost of a boy named David, who is trying to kill him"

I thought maybe Justin Long would play the lead.

Awful movie about a stupid Twitter story based on real stupid people talking in internet chat rooms
Old 04-15-24, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO

It sucks
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (04-18-24)
Old 04-15-24, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own this

I don't think it was as bad as the reviews

It makes a good rainy night movie.
The following 3 users liked this post by JeffTheAlpaca:
gerrythedon (04-15-24), Goonies85 (04-18-24), Toby Dramit (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"When Billy (Adam Pally), the coolest kid in high school, comes back to his hometown 15 years later to find he's no longer cool and the girl he still has feelings for now dates the former town outcast,(Vincent Kartheiser) he sets out to prove that his rival is actually a murderer."

I thought this was pretty funny
Old 04-15-24, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Drive-Away Dolls Peacock
Margaret Qualley, Geraldine Viswanathan. Directed by Ethan Coen. 2024
In search of a fresh start, Jamie, -an uninhibited free spirit bemoaning yet another breakup with a girlfriend, -and her demure friend Marian embark on an impromptu road trip to Tallahassee, but things quickly go awry when they cross paths with a group of inept criminals along the way.

I love the title "Drive Away Dolls" and if the film had lived up to the "Roger Corman '70s Exploitation Film" spirit of the title, I would have been delighted. Instead, I got an episode of "Velma". Honestly, I'm not the audience for this film any more than I was the audience for "Bottoms", and I'm good with that. While it does have the talky, mannered style of the early Coen Brothers films, the plot is pretty thin, the jokes are relentlessly crude, and it's over pretty quick.
Old 04-16-24, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 04-16-24, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Earth Dies Screaming Kino Blu-Ray
Willard Parker. Directed by Terence Fischer. 1964
The UK is invaded by alien-controlled robots, which re-animate dead human bodies. A small group of survivors tries to decide their next move while evading the robots and their dead minions.

I love the title "The Earth Dies Screaming", but, alas, there is no screaming, -people just drop dead where they stand. Veteran British Director Terence Fischer knows how to turn out an effective low budget SF/Horror film; "Screaming" would fit comfortably on the bottom bill of any 'Sixties Horror Double Feature. While it may concern an "Alian Invasion", the film is mostly a group of actors standing around talking, and there's just a few sets. It's all played very credibly in dead serious tones. If you're a fan of vintage Science Fiction, it's good and it's fast (62 minutes). The film is black-and-white, and Kino has turned out a sharp-looking transfer.
Old 04-16-24, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"When his brother is killed, LAPD officer Mark (Michael Jai White) leaves the city to return to the island he grew up on. Seeking answers and vengeance, he soon finds himself in a bloody battle with the corrupt tycoon who's taken over the island paradise."

It did not exceed the B level and was bored after the first 30 minutes.
Old 04-16-24, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

"Harriet discovers certain songs can transport her back in time. While she relives the past through romantic memories with her former boyfriend, her time travelling interferes with a burgeoning new love interest in the present."

It was not great but not bad either.

Lucy Boynton is a hottie.
Old 04-16-24, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime
Old 04-16-24, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

"A young ex-con risks his newfound freedom to track down the estranged daughter of a fellow inmate, and unknowingly brings a devil from her past straight to her doorstep."

It was mildly entertaining.

Looks like Murloney is settling in a B movie career.

Old 04-16-24, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MGM+

It was not bad and maybe should have ran longer though it could have been great with a better screenplay and director.
Old 04-17-24, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"Set in Florida, during the Great Recession, the film follows single father Dennis Nash (Andrew Garfield) and his family as they are evicted from their home by businessman Rick Carver (Michael Shannon), leading to Nash choosing to help Carver in evicting people out of their homes in exchange for his family's home"

Lex Luthor has nothing on Rick Carver and the second time I have seen this.

Ramin Bahrani is a underrated director and should get more pub.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 04-17-24 at 10:48 PM.
Goonies85 (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rain Man Amazon Prime 4K
Tom Cruise, Dustin Hoffman. Directed by Barry Levinson. 1988
After a selfish L.A. yuppie learns his estranged father left a fortune to an autistic-savant brother in Ohio that he didn't know existed, he absconds with his brother and sets out across the country, hoping to gain a larger inheritance.

"Rain Man" is one of those films that is so familiar and turns up on cable so often over the years that it seems like I've seen it 50 times, when in fact this is probably only my third or fourth time sitting down with it. Dustin Hoffman won the Oscar, but Tom Cruise gives a good, well-rounded performance here, since we see the story solely through his eyes. Of course, this is a familiar role for Cruise, because he has so often played a cocky, arrogant guy who is humbled and becomes a much better person in the process. I had kind of forgotten how obnoxious his "Charlie Babbitt" is for the first half of the film. It remains a well-made, touching film, with an excellent score by Hans Zimmer that makes good use of existing songs. It's a Hollywood Fantasy first and foremost, but that's what makes it appealing.
JeffTheAlpaca (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

!!!!!!
Goonies85 (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wayne's World Amazon Prime 4K
Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey. Directed by Penelope Spheeris. 1992
Two amiably aimless metal-head friends, Wayne and Garth, broadcast a talk-show from Wayne's basement on local public access television. The show comes to the attention of a sleazy network executive who wants to produce a big-budget version.

I saw this when it opened in theaters, -I remember enjoying it, -but I've never felt inclined to revisit "Wayne's World" ...until now. I'll give Penelope Spheeris, Meyers, and Carvey credit for being able to turn a series of repetitive sketches into a feature that actually holds together, but for me it now works more as mostly pleasant nostalgia than it does as a laugh-out-loud Comedy.

The 4K picture quality is quite good.

Last edited by DWilson; 04-18-24 at 11:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWilson:
Goonies85 (04-19-24), JeffTheAlpaca (04-19-24)
Old 04-19-24, 06:02 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Recommended by Amazon. I have to admit it was the title. Unfortunately G rated. Easy on the eyes middling James Bond rip-off/spoof. Earlyish use of fembots. OK Bondian plot but terrible acting and jokes/puns. The bad guy looks a lot like the comic sidekick which doesn't help. Features Bullshot which is an actual drink but it sounds unpleasant and the actual drink does too. Probably a waste of 90 minutes but somewhat interesting.
Old 04-19-24, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monster Well Go USA Blu-ray
Directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda.2023
A mother demands answers from teacher when her son begins acting strangely.

I remember seeing the trailer for "Monster" a while back and being thoroughly confused by it, particularly the intentionally misleading title. Having now seen the film I can understand the difficulties of trying to sell this story.

"Monster" is posed as a mystery, with the story revealed in three parts, each told from the distinct perspectives of three different characters. Without getting into spoilers, it's mostly a sad, delicate story that leads you to some very grim places but does so with sensitivity and care. It feels like heartfelt and personal for the filmmakers and I respect that. I just don't know if telling the story as this deeply layered mystery does it any favors. It certainly pulls you in and invests you in the characters, but then the change in perspective dissipates some of the tension that's created and turns several character arcs into red herrings whose stories are never satisfyingly completed ("Just like Life" I suppose you could argue). I just don't think the ending, -the bringing together and wrapping up of these three stories, - has the "gut punch" that Kore-eda was going for, at least not for me.
Old 04-19-24, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeFan

Recommended by Amazon. I have to admit it was the title. Unfortunately G rated. Easy on the eyes middling James Bond rip-off/spoof. Earlyish use of fembots. OK Bondian plot but terrible acting and jokes/puns. The bad guy looks a lot like the comic sidekick which doesn't help. Features Bullshot which is an actual drink but it sounds unpleasant and the actual drink does too. Probably a waste of 90 minutes but somewhat interesting.
Richard Johnson's character in the film was "Bulldog Drummond", featured in a series of Pulp novels from 1920 through 1969. He was also used in a series of films for all those years with many different actors in the role. I've not seen "Some Girls Do", but I did watch "Deadlier Than the Male", Johnson's first turn as the character, also starring Elke Sommer and Nigel Green. I enjoyed it for what it was, -a clear "Bond" re-positioning of the character, -but it had a good cast.
Old 04-19-24, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Moulin Rouge! 20th Century Fox Blu-Ray
Nicole Kidman, Ewan MacGregor. Directed by Baz Luhrmann. 2001
In 1899 France, a young writer named Christian leaves his family home and moves to the seedy, bohemian underworld of Montmartre, Paris. Christian meets Satine, the most beautiful courtesan in Paris and star of the Moulin Rouge nightclub and enters into a passionate but doomed love affair.

When the film takes a breath and lets an honest emotion play out, "Moulin Rouge!" is a pretty terrific musical. I'm thinking of MacGregor singing "Your Song", or Kidman's solo, as well as some of the darker, emotional scenes in the Third Act. However, so much of it is like a baker putting whipped creme on top of butter creme, on top of fondant, and then throwing on some sprinkles. I don't mind Melodrama, but I dislike Camp, and the film dances back-and-forth from one to the other so many times. I will say that MacGregor has a commendable singing voice.

Once you get past the first ten minutes or so, the disc looks rock solid despite its age, though if Fox wasn't owned by Disney, I'm sure "Moulin Rouge!" would have gotten a needed 4K makeover by now. The disc has an excellent picture-in-picture commentary track that features the film's designs, behind-the-scenes footage, and rehearsals.

Last edited by DWilson; 04-20-24 at 02:51 AM.
DeFan (04-23-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.