Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 03-16-24, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Mean Streets Criterion Blu-Ray
Harvey Keitel, Robert DeNiro. Directed by Martin Scorsese. 1973
A slice of street life in Little Italy among lower echelon Mafiosos, unbalanced punks, and petty criminals.

Martin Scorsese had made a few films before, but "Mean Streets" announced him as a filmmaker to watch out for, and it certainly was indicative of the type of films he would be making thereafter. There were many "personal" films at the time, but this seemed to me to come out of the gate with uncommon energy and style and used music to drive the narrative in a dynamic way. It's more of a series of vignettes with a plot thread tying them together, culminating in a particularly violent finale. Harvey Keitel is memorable as the lead (with Scorsese himself often voicing the character's interior monologues), and Robert DeNiro makes his presence known throughout the film, even though he's not actually in it as much as you think. DeNiro is playing the very model of a DeNiro character and while he plays it well, you just want to smack him in the head every time he's on the screen (which is the point).

I had bought a copy of Criterion's 4K, but returned it after I read the reviews of the actual disc. I decided it might be better to sample the blu-ray version (free from the County Library) and I'm glad I did. While Criterion supplies a terrific package of supplements, I'm with the group that finds the disc's new color grade an eyesore. The picture quality might be solid, -and it's quite good, -every scene is filled with oppressive Teals and Greens. These are Italian guys in The Seventies who mostly wear nice suits with white shirts, and now those shirts are light blue or teal. White-haired old gentlemen now have greenish hair. When "Johnny Boy" blows up a mailbox, the silver-metal garbage cans are now greenish-blue and even the shadows in the background are green. I think I'll stick with my $5 copy of the Warner Brothers release, which might be a shade softer and less grainy, but the colors are more accurate.
Old 03-16-24, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Creature Was Stirring Well Go USA DVD
Chrissy Metz. Directed by Damien LeVeck. 2023
A nurse taking care of her daughter's mysterious affliction struggles to hide her secrets when uninvited strangers take shelter in her house during a lethal blizzard.

Overall, this is an effective low-budget Horror film, though I'm not entirely sold on it. The film tries to tell its story on limited sets by not providing a lot of exposition or details, and keeping you in the dark, until the very end.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure the story all adds up, but it kept my interest. The film's practical and prosthetic effects can be described as limited, at best.

Old 03-16-24, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts

Re-watched yesterday

Old 03-16-24, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts

Watched today

Old 03-17-24, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 03-17-24, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Breaker! Breaker!" Amazon Prime
Chuck Norris. Directed by Don Hulette. 1977
A truck driver searches for his brother, who has disappeared in a town run by a corrupt judge.

Though I'm a fan of Chuck Norris's films up through The Eighties, I've always dodged his first starring role. It was re-released after Chuck's later films took off and filled out the bottom of Drive-In bills for about a decade.

It's a "Redneck" Action film set in the fictional "Texas City, California" and it tries very hard to be very Rural, if you know what I mean (crooked Judge, bad cops, the town simpleton, and the brave widowed Mother). It's pretty much by the numbers for the genre, but it allows Chuck to kick ass in several scenes (though they're not terribly imaginative) Even so, it's a bit better than I thought it would be, and just entertaining enough.
Old 03-17-24, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 644 Posts

The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

Getting back to my run of watching all the Bond movies. This was Roger Moore’s third outing as Bond, and this just might be the most “Bond” of all the Bond movies. It hits all the big Bond tropes and does so in memorable and entertaining ways. It dials down the camp a little compared to its immediate predecessor (The Man With The Golden Gun) which works to its benefit. It was Moore’s favorite among his own turns playing Bond. Much of the movie is set in Egypt and then various locales around the Mediterranean, making for some nice cinematic scenes.

The opening sequence ends with the iconic scene of Bond skiing off a mountain cliff (oh no!) and falling and falling and then his Union Jack parachute popping open (cue the Bond theme music).

Then we transition to the title song, “Nobody Does It Better” by Carly Simon. It’s arguably the best of the Bond songs and has kind of become a theme song for the film franchise as a whole.

Then you have the insanely gorgeous Barbara Bach as the KGB agent ‘Triple X’ whom Bond pairs up with to track down some secret intel about missing submarines. I remember first seeing Bach in the silly comedy Caveman and even at my young age (~10 when I first saw it) I couldn’t take my eyes off her. She has a lot of screen time in this Bond movie, maybe more than most Bond girls from this era.

Another iconic element in this movie is the villain’s main henchman, Jaws, played by the giant actor Richard Kiel. Jaws is seemingly indestructible, shrugging off collapsing buildings and deflecting bullets with his metal teeth. He will show up again in the next Bond film.

The villain himself is kind of generic (old egomaniacal European guy) but he has a very cool submersible ocean-based lair (complete with man-eating shark!) and his evil plan makes for a fairly exciting third act.

I can’t leave out a mention of one of the coolest Bond gadgets—in this case his car that converts into a submarine. The scene of him driving out of the ocean onto a beach full of gawking people is featured in pretty much every Bond highlight reel. The wikipedia article on this car is an interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_Nellie

Overall, this is an entertaining action/thriller and quintessential Bond.

The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (03-17-24)
Old 03-17-24, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Baskin (2015)

Director/Writer Can Evrenol absolutely nails the nightmarish atmosphere but doesn't quite stick the (eventual) landing.

The enjoyment I felt from this film was very high until the final act.
Old 03-17-24, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Land of Bad (2024)

Although this film doesn't contain any real surprises, its frenetic pacing and solid cast (led by Liam Hemsworth & Russell Crowe) are appreciated.
Old 03-17-24, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dune: Part Two (2024)

Absolutely loved this film.

Sadly, I didn't get to see the film in IMAX but I hope to change that over the next few days.
Old 03-17-24, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No One Gets Out Alive (2021)

Director Santiago Menghini's wonderful set-pieces can't absolve it from being a dull and repetitive.

While I appreciated the script's attempt to weave in the experience of immigrants to the States, it's been done better in other films in the Horror genre.
Old 03-17-24, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 759 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson

Mean Streets Criterion Blu-Ray
Harvey Keitel, Robert DeNiro. Directed by Martin Scorsese. 1973
A slice of street life in Little Italy among lower echelon Mafiosos, unbalanced punks, and petty criminals.

Martin Scorsese had made a few films before, but "Mean Streets" announced him as a filmmaker to watch out for, and it certainly was indicative of the type of films he would be making thereafter. There were many "personal" films at the time, but this seemed to me to come out of the gate with uncommon energy and style and used music to drive the narrative in a dynamic way. It's more of a series of vignettes with a plot thread tying them together, culminating in a particularly violent finale. Harvey Keitel is memorable as the lead (with Scorsese himself often voicing the character's interior monologues), and Robert DeNiro makes his presence known throughout the film, even though he's not actually in it as much as you think. DeNiro is playing the very model of a DeNiro character and while he plays it well, you just want to smack him in the head every time he's on the screen (which is the point).

I had bought a copy of Criterion's 4K, but returned it after I read the reviews of the actual disc. I decided it might be better to sample the blu-ray version (free from the County Library) and I'm glad I did. While Criterion supplies a terrific package of supplements, I'm with the group that finds the disc's new color grade an eyesore. The picture quality might be solid, -and it's quite good, -every scene is filled with oppressive Teals and Greens. These are Italian guys in The Seventies who mostly wear nice suits with white shirts, and now those shirts are light blue or teal. White-haired old gentlemen now have greenish hair. When "Johnny Boy" blows up a mailbox, the silver-metal garbage cans are now greenish-blue and even the shadows in the background are green. I think I'll stick with my $5 copy of the Warner Brothers release, which might be a shade softer and less grainy, but the colors are more accurate.

I bought the blu-ray but have not seen it in a long time but since it was Scorsese and De Niro the $6.99 would not be a huge loss
Old 03-17-24, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO Max
Old 03-17-24, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2013 and directed by Scott Cooper

I own this

"Steelworker Russell Baze (Christian Bale) works a dead-end job and holds tight to his sense of family, duty and loyalty. Rodney Baze (Casey Affleck), Russell's brother, returns home after serving in Iraq and, with his debts piling up, becomes entangled with a vicious crime lord (Woody Harrelson)"

It has been awhile since the last time I saw this and a Robocop 2014 trailer before the movie so it feels even older

I did not think it was that bad and all the bad asses Bale, Dafoe, Woody Harrelson, Sam Shepherd RIP, and Casey Affleck are in it.

It begins and ends with this classic Pearl Jam song and I watched the closing credits in full to hear it again

Old 03-17-24, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 346 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

Getting back to my run of watching all the Bond movies. This was Roger Moore’s third outing as Bond, and this just might be the most “Bond” of all the Bond movies. It hits all the big Bond tropes and does so in memorable and entertaining ways. It dials down the camp a little compared to its immediate predecessor (The Man With The Golden Gun) which works to its benefit. It was Moore’s favorite among his own turns playing Bond. Much of the movie is set in Egypt and then various locales around the Mediterranean, making for some nice cinematic scenes.
The best of the Roger Moore Bonds, IMO.
Then you have the insanely gorgeous Barbara Bach as the KGB agent ‘Triple X’ whom Bond pairs up with to track down some secret intel about missing submarines. I remember first seeing Bach in the silly comedy Caveman and even at my young age (~10 when I first saw it) I couldn’t take my eyes off her. She has a lot of screen time in this Bond movie, maybe more than most Bond girls from this era.
She was in a couple of very good Giallo films in the early 70s - Short Night Of Glass Dolls and The Black Belly Of The Tarantula (which also featured two other former Bond girls: Claudine Auger and Barbara Bouchet).
Cellar Door (03-17-24)
Old 03-17-24, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023) — Not great but still highly entertaining that is a good time waster though it does suffer from many of these visual effects-heavy movies (like the Transformers franchise) where the stakes don't feel all that threatening. It also felt odd when they (the studio most likely) tried to edit out Amber Heard as much as possible, I get why but it felt weird and glaring.

Jason Momoa as usual seemed to be having a great time and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II made once again as a serviceable enough villain, though nothing terribly noteworthy in terms of performance from an otherwise good actor from what I've seen.

James Wan tries his best to give his horror touch and does some fun direction with one-take-like shots and does poke fun at one of the first film's criticisms of the surprise explosion during quiet scenes.

Given this is the end of the DCEU, it ties it up well enough. ***½/***** (4K Ultra HD)
Old 03-18-24, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 364 Likes on 216 Posts

The Bloody Hundredth - Apple TV+

Old 03-18-24, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

2022 with Casey Affleck, Walter Goggins, Zooey Deschanel, and Noah Jupe

"Brothers Donnie and Joe Emerson find newfound musical success after their 1979 debut album "Dreamin' Wild" is rediscovered three decades later."

I never knew it existed until I browsed Hulu

If you like a feel good movie that is not corny or sappy like a Disney movie this is for you.
Old 03-19-24, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HDNET Movies

Not on the level of a Scorsese gangster film and some scenes are kind of campy with Beatty overacting.

Annette Benning was a piece back then.

Still wonder why it was never released on Blu-ray.
Old 03-19-24, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Proud first lady of a Southern Baptist megachurch, Trinitie Childs carries immense responsibility on her shoulders. After a scandal involving her husband, the church is forced to temporarily close, leaving Trinitie struggling to manage the aftermath. Now, she and her spouse must rebuild their congregation and reconcile their faith by all means necessary to make the biggest comeback that commodified religion has ever seen."

Starz

It felt like watching a reality show with the characters talking to the camera all the time.
Old 03-19-24, 09:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Interstellar. It really took me over ten years to see this movie???
JANK (03-21-24)
Old 03-19-24, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ocean's 8 Max 4K
Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett. Directed by Gary Ross. 2018
Debbie Ocean gathers a crew to attempt an impossible heist at New York City's yearly Met Gala.

Just charming enough. It's helped by the fact it has a good, deep cast (though there are so many actors that everyone gets a spoonful, and nobody gets a real bite) and that Director Gary Ross does a nice job of maintaining the style and pace of Soderbergh's trilogy. Good video presentation by Warners and Max.
Old 03-20-24, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Royal Warriors DVD
Michelle Yeoh. Directed by David Chung. 1986
A Hong Kong Police Inspector teams with a Japanese Cop to avenge his family's murder.

Back in The 90s, when these Hong Kong Action Film import DVDs started showing up, I was buying and renting them like crazy. They were ridiculous at times but so refreshing! I would describe "Royal Warriors" as "over-the-top" but the Hong Kong films of that period didn't really have a "top". There was just wild, wild body-breaking Martial Arts with stuntmen crashing through glass and through walls, and two-fisted gun battles with a never-ending supply of bullets. "Royal Warriors" throws credibility to the wind from the beginning with an in-flight shoot-out with hijackers and ends with a face-off in a quarry with earth-moving equipment. It's all very grim, and violent, and violently grim, with little bursts of electronic drumbeats highlighting the action, or sickly-sweet drama cues during the soapier moments. It's also a chance to see a very young Michelle Yeoh as a young Action Star, and she's the main attraction for this film.

Last edited by DWilson; 03-20-24 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-20-24, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fast Charlie Kanopy
Pierce Brosnan. Directed by Phillip Noyce. 2023
An aging Mob "Fixer" goes on the offensive when a rival kills his boss.

A cool Crime Thriller that becomes surprisingly brutal as it goes along. Pierce Brosnan, -sporting a Southern-ish accent, and playing into his age -is terrific in this; the film smartly uses his distinguished, Bond-ish qualities as a contrast with the more brutish bunch of thugs and lowlives he has to deal with. I've liked a lot of Director Phillip Noyce's work ("Dead Calm", "Patriot Games" "Blind Fury"), and he doesn't disappoint here, keeping things at a nice pace. "Fast Charlie" also features Morena Baccarin as a typical for Hollywood way-too-young love interest, and the late James Caan in a brief, frail appearance that made me a little sad.
Old 03-21-24, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"A hit man teams up with an art dealer for a money-laundering scheme that unwittingly turns him into an avant-garde sensation."

A Tarantino or Elmore Leonard wannabe?

It was ok and rare to see Uma these days and she still looks hot at 53 and about to turn 54 in a month.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.