Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 03-09-24, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 743 Likes on 606 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Hulu

"When her father breaks out of prison, a young mother must confront her long-buried past of being the child of a kidnapper and the girl he held captive. Convinced that he intends to take her daughters, she sets out to find and kill him herself."

I did not think it was that bad and with good performances from Ridley and Mendelsohn.
Old 03-09-24, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 196 Posts

Day of the Jackal Arrow Blu-Ray
Edward Fox. Directed by Fred Zinneman. 1973
A professional assassin codenamed "Jackal" plots to kill Charles de Gaulle, the President of France, but the plot is discovered and an international manhunt begins.

I remember first seeing "Day of the Jackal" on NBC's "Tuesday Night at the Movies" back in The Seventies and I've loved it ever since. It's one of those rare Thrillers where it's extremely suspenseful even though you know going in that "The Jackal" is not going to be successful, because de Gaulle was not assassinated. Of course, I don't know if anyone other than old guys like me or History nerds remember who Charles de Gaulle was anymore.

I've seen the Michael Caton-Jones's remake "The Jackal " (which "fictionalizes" the target and takes the plot in a different direction), and I just didn't care for it, partly because it doesn't measure up to the original, and I feel like Bruce Willis and Richard Gere were miscast.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (03-09-24)
Old 03-09-24, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 285 Likes on 237 Posts

Mean Girls Musical - Paramount+

Old 03-09-24, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Battle Royale Arrow 4K
Directed by Kinji Fukasaku. 2000
With school children all over the country growing increasingly delinquent, the Japanese government takes decisive action and introduces the Battle Royale Act. The Act sets forth a plan whereby a class will be chosen at random and flown to a remote island, where each student will then be given a weapon and set loose to fight their classmates, and only one of their number will be allowed to leave the island alive.

I forget how I first saw "Battle Royale", but I've had it in pretty much every format. The Arrow 4K Limited Edition is huge, with hours and hours of supplements and two versions each of the original and the less-regarded sequel, which was directed by Fukasaku's son. It even includes a CD of the film's tremendous score.

"Battle Royale" is not as forbidden and shocking as it seemed back in 2000, but it remains an impressive piece of filmmaking and it still has a lot of power.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWilson:
JANK (03-12-24), Toby Dramit (03-10-24)
Old 03-10-24, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 190 Posts

Recently bought 4K UHD physical version

Old 03-11-24, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 739 Posts

Wonka - Nice to see a lot of UK actors I recognized, but wasn't keen on the movie, itself.

Old 03-11-24, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It had a good cast but should have been better and Hugh Grant was kind of cringe in that movie.
Old 03-11-24, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 739 Posts

Hugh Grant was actually the only thing that got a chuckle out of me (the Shorty Pants line). I knew he hated making the movie, and I think that's what made it funny, to me.

Bloodthirsty - Yeah, that was a stinker.
Old 03-11-24, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Priscilla Lionsgate Blu-Ray
Cailee Spaeny. Directed by Sofia Coppola. 2023
When teenage Priscilla Beaulieu meets Elvis Presley during his celebrated Army hitch, the man who is already a meteoric rock-and-roll superstar becomes someone entirely unexpected in private moments and their inappropriate relationship eventually becomes a highly compromised marriage.

Sofia Coppola has always been a talented visual stylist and that remains true with "Priscilla". However, as characters "Elvis" and "Priscilla" are both so low-key, -particularly in the first half-hour, -that the film isn't all that interesting. While Baz Luhrman's "Elvis" from last year wasn't a great film, it was so stuffed with visual excess that it remained entirely watchable.
Old 03-11-24, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

"When a dispute over a winning lottery ticket turns into a deadly hostage situation, the witnesses must decide exactly how far they're willing to go -- and how much blood they're willing to spill -- for a cut of $156 million."

Maybe one of Angus Cloud's final projects but overall it was ok but nothing really special or a must see.

Old 03-11-24, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon digital rental ppv purchase

"In 1964 Massachusetts, a young secretary becomes enchanted by Rebecca, the glamorous new counsellor at the prison where she works. Their budding friendship soon takes a twisted turn when Rebecca reveals a dark secret."

It was not bad and I am a McKenzie fan though the ending was not really satisfying
Old 03-11-24, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own this

Viewing the original trilogy experience in 4K went by fast.

Would Star Wars have faded if Luke turned to the dark side and Han Solo died as originally planned by George Lucas?
Old 03-11-24, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pet Sematary: Bloodlines Paramount Blu-Ray
David Duchovny. Directed by Lindsey Beer. 2023
In 1969, a young Jud Crandall has dreams of leaving his hometown of Ludlow, Maine behind, but soon discovers sinister secrets buried within and is forced to confront a dark family history that will forever keep him connected to Ludlow.

I will say that the blu-ray is a noticeable improvement over the Paramount+ stream, -the picture quality has much more dimension and the soundtrack is very pronounced and atmospheric. The film is a prequel to the "Pet Sematary" re-make from a few years back, and like Blumhouse's "Halloween" and "Exorcist" reboots, tries to build a cohesive "Universe" or Mythology that will fuel an ongoing film series.

The longer this series goes on, the less ballsy it gets. I found "Bloodlines" unpleasant and tedious.
Old 03-12-24, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson

Battle Royale Arrow 4K
Directed by Kinji Fukasaku. 2000
With school children all over the country growing increasingly delinquent, the Japanese government takes decisive action and introduces the Battle Royale Act. The Act sets forth a plan whereby a class will be chosen at random and flown to a remote island, where each student will then be given a weapon and set loose to fight their classmates, and only one of their number will be allowed to leave the island alive.

I forget how I first saw "Battle Royale", but I've had it in pretty much every format. The Arrow 4K Limited Edition is huge, with hours and hours of supplements and two versions each of the original and the less-regarded sequel, which was directed by Fukasaku's son. It even includes a CD of the film's tremendous score.

"Battle Royale" is not as forbidden and shocking as it seemed back in 2000, but it remains an impressive piece of filmmaking and it still has a lot of power.
---
Hunger Games owes A LOT to this classic.
Old 03-12-24, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Battle Royale II: Requiem Arrow Blu-Ray
Directed by Kenta Fukasaku. 2003
Three years after the failure of the last BR program, a second act is forged and a class of students are sent to an island with one objective: kill international terrorist Shuya Nanahara.

While the first film was focused and powerful, "BR2" is all over the place, trying very hard to say something about Terrorism and the Post-9/11 world. In an included interview, the director seems very sincere in the film equating Japan with Afghanistan and the first film's survivor with Osama Bin Laden. The film is overlong and filled with "Saving Private Ryan"-style combat scenes that lose the intimacy of the original. Its messy and tiresome and the characters didn't connect with me.

By the way, the actor portraying the "Evil Adult" in this film, -replacing Takeshi Kitano's character from the original, -gives a performance is so florid and over-the-top the character seems clinically insane.
Old 03-13-24, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

"Joy (Max Eigenmann) is an undocumented Filipino immigrant struggling to do the best she can to support her daughter, Grace (Jaeden Boadilla). Soon she secures the perfect job: taking care of an extremely wealthy but terminal old man."
Old 03-13-24, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Roaring Twenties Criterion DVD
James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart. Directed by Raoul Walsh. 1939
After the WWI Armistice Lloyd Hart goes back to practice law, former saloon keeper George Hally turns to bootlegging, and out-of-work Eddie Bartlett becomes a cab driver. Eddie builds a fleet of cabs through delivery of bootleg liquor and hires Lloyd as his lawyer. George becomes Eddie's partner and the rackets flourish until love and rivalry interfere.

When I was a child there were five TV stations, -three networks, a local, and the Educational Channel. On Sunday morning the local would show a repeat of Saturday night's regional "Wrestling at The Chase", followed by a Warner Brothers Gangster picture at Noon. I watched all those old films, and my favorite star was James Cagney. Cagney had great energy and charisma, and was extremely versatile, -he could play a psychotic gangster in "White Heat", but he could also be a charming song-and-dance man in "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

I haven't watched "The Roaring Twenties" in ages, and it's a little like visiting with a favorite old relative. It's a real time capsule of a period (at least the Hollywood version of it) and a lesser-known classic of its drama. You also get a Humphrey Bogart tough guy role before he was considered a leading man. Criterion provides a fine presentation, even on DVD, an option I chose because it was free. If you want to pay more, it's also available on blu-ray and 4K.
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (03-14-24)
Old 03-13-24, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this was a made for MTV movie

It is shit and how did it get a 53% audience score at Rotten Tomatoes and that is way too high and should be a lot lower.

Not a huge Katherine Heigl fan but she was a piece when she was younger and what a bod.
Old 03-13-24, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

War Pony (2023)

Showtime

"The interlocking stories of two young Oglala Lakota men grappling with a world built against them as they navigate their unique paths to manhood."

Riley Keough was the co-writer and co-director and if this was her debut look forward to see more of what she can do.
Old 03-14-24, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Babyteeth - Amazing. Underrated. My second-favorite movie of 2019 (after Midsummer). The less you know about this one, the better. Can't believe this flew under the radar to the extent that it did. I first heard about it in either Empire or Total Film magazines and bought it on a whim. I knew Ben Mendholson was in it, so that was a plus (and Essie Davis). It's really, really astonishing. Difficult subject matter. Great soundtrack (love the scene set to a tUneYaRds track). I've rewatched it multiple times since getting it a couple months ago and have told everyone I know about it. Most don't care to watch it once they learn of the subject matter but it's a powerhouse of a movie. And the main actress is just incredible. People reading this probably won't watch it but if you do, you'll be rewarded. Hell, after watching it I ordered two more copies and gave them to friends (who still haven't watched them...but I'm confident once they do, they'll appreciate the gesture).

Support the Girls - Decent movie, although the blurbs on the Blu-Ray maybe over-sell it a bit. The acting is pretty solid, and it balances humour and drama in a pretty effective way. About a "Hooters-type" restaurant over the course of a day. It's a movie I enjoyed but I'm not sure how often I'll revisit.

Extreme Prejudice - Have been waiting forever for a decent release, and this Vestron Blu-Ray is actually pretty great, packed with special features. It has like the "manly-est" cast you could ever dream up. Nolte, Powers Boothe, Rip Torn, Clancy Brown, etc., etc. A true Walter Hill film through and through. Originally supposed to be directed by John Milius. You can smell the testosterone when you watch this movie. Clearly heavily, heavily inspired by Peckinpah (whom Hill obviously worked with previously). Great action movie.

The Lost Honor of Katharine Blum - Kind of underrated these days. The reviews I read were kind of lukewarm. I don't get it, I thought this movie was fantastic. All about the hysteria that existed in West Germany when the Baader-Meinhof gang was around and how the German society was kind of in a panic over their actions. Jurgen Prochnow has a small role. Can't remember the main actress's name but she did great. Kind of reminded me of some Costa-Gavras films. It's terrific.

Dream Scenario - Nic Cage just keeps doing what he's been doing. Whatever he wants. And when he hits, he hits. This is one of those time where he really "hits." It's a solid movie. And even though I typically don't much care for Cera, he's even pretty solid in this. But it's Cage's movie. He carries it and it's fantastic. Wish there were Special Features but it's barebones (at least the Canadian version that I bought).
Old 03-14-24, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"Mexican American teenagers Aristotle Mendoza and Dante Quintana explore their friendship while struggling with racial and ethnic identity, sexuality and family relationships in 1987 in El Paso, Texas."

Eva Longoria played one of the moms and Eugenio Derbez played one of the dads.

It was not bad and if you like coming of age movies set in the 80's with some 80's tunes check it out.
Old 03-15-24, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

American Pop Sony Blu-Ray
Directed by Ralph Bakshi. 1981
From a turn-of-the-century immigrant vaudevillian to a rock superstar, AMERICAN POP is the story of four generations whose lives revolve around the beat of American popular music.

Ralph Bakshi was an animator who started with "Mighty Mouse" but wanted to tell more Adult stories, like "Fritz the Cat", "Wizards" and "Lord of the Rings". Most of his films involved a technique called rotoscoping, which meant that the movie was first shot on film with actors on a crude stages, and then Bakshi and his team traced over that film frame-by-frame to create more realistic motion and characterization.

"American Pop" is an ambitious film that tries to tell a sweeping story of America through the evolution of its music. The film has an incredible, energetic soundtrack, but for the most part it's a grim tale with few sympathetic characters. The film does have heart though, and I admire the effort.

Its a great-looking disk, but its never been given any bonus features on any of the home media formats, and that seems like a wasted opportunity.
Old 03-15-24, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

It was ok but I liked Kitty Green's other film with Julia Garner the Assistant better
Old 03-15-24, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

"After an atheistic neighbor (Charlie Hunnam) has an affair with his wife, a vengeful Fundamentalist forces the man to choose between killing himself or allowing someone else to die in his place."

They could have come up with a more original title than the Ledge

Old 03-16-24, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

We enjoyed it - deserved best pic. Kudos to Nolan!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.