Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 02-22-24, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Not a big fan of Tom Cruise but he was okay, Dakota Fanning was amazing playing his daughter.
Old 02-22-24, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 710 Likes on 581 Posts

War of the Worlds with Cruise is one of my favorite movies.

Tim Robbins was good too as the wacko.
Old 02-22-24, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu and it just came out

"In the near future, New York is driven by artificially intelligent assistants, therapists, and home housekeepers. When Rachel (Emilia Clarke) and Alvy (Chiwetel Ejiofor) decide to have a child, they opt to use a new egg-shaped pod technology to gestate the fetus"

It got bad reviews and with any other actors besides Ejiofor and Clarke it might come off as ridiculous but they sold it and I thought it was a good movie.

Old 02-22-24, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

The Triplets of Belleville TCM
Directed by Sylvain Chomet. 2003
Kidnapped by mysterious, square-shouldered henchmen, a Tour de France cyclist named Champion is spirited across the ocean to the teeming metropolis of Belleville. His grandmother and faithful dog follow his trail and are taken in by a trio of eccentric jazz-era divas. The motley sleuths follow the clues to an underground betting parlor.

A bizarre and charming, -and sometimes charmingly bizarre, -French animated film, -and it's very French, - that tells a story that is dialogue free and filled with clever visual gags. Most of the characters are drawn as grotesque caricatures, but the color palette is just gorgeous. It's a very inventive Comedy very similar in spirit to the live-action work of Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Jacques Tati.
The following users liked this post:
JANK (02-23-24)
Old 02-23-24, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Godzilla: King Of Monsters

had such a good start .....
Old 02-23-24, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Hell with Heroes Kino Lorber Blu-Ray
Rod Taylor. Directed by Joseph Sargent. 1968
In 1946 North Africa, two former US Air Force pilots are forced to work for an international smuggler to get money needed for their return to civilian life after fighting in World War II.

Joseph Sargent directed two favorites of mine, -"The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" and "Colossus: The Forbin Project", -so I was hoping for a lot more than what I actually got from this picture. The action is not terribly gripping, and the "shot on the Universal backlot" look diminishes the film and gives it something of a TV-Movie feel.

Rod Taylor is very good as the cynical hero with a conscience, but Claudia Cardinale is a stiff as the cliched "Mistress of the Villain" that Taylor falls in love with. Harry Guardino does good work as an amoral smuggler, but he comes across as more of a "TV Level" threat; pre-"Kojak" Telly Savalas would have devoured this role.
Old 02-24-24, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Peacock

2019 and starring Bill Skarsgard, Maika Monroe, Kyra Sedgewick, and Jeffrey Donovan chewing the scenery.

"A pair of amateur criminals attempt to break into a house when their car breaks down. They soon realise they are in over their heads, when they discover that the home owners are harbouring a dark secret."

Old 02-24-24, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Massacre at Central High Synapse Blu-Ray
Andrew Stevens. Directed by Rene Daalder. 1976
A high school transfer student, pushed to the edge by a trio of brutal bullies, resorts to murder to reclaim the school from oppression, and later turns against the students wanting to fill the vacuum of their oppressors.

"Massacre at Central High" came out briefly in 1976 but was re-discovered in the early '80s; I first heard of it on a "Guilty Pleasures" episode of "Siskel & Ebert" and it finally turned up late night on Showtime. It's an Exploitation film with all the usual beats of Sex, Violence and Nudity, but Dutch director Rene Daalder has something more in mind. It's a thoughtful film that's a bit of a political allegory on the nature of Violence and Power that's still relevant Today. The characters fit certain stereotypes that the story needs, but they are played with more depth than you usually find in such films. It's far from perfect, -it features a turgid producer-imposed "Love Theme" over the opening credits (while cutting to glimpses of sex and violence from later in the film) that is just cringe-worthy. At times the pace drags and the number of gruesome murders at this high school makes you wonder why the police haven't shown up.

It's a good package from Synapse, with a 40-minute "Making Of" and audio interviews with the director and some of the surviving cast. The picture quality is outstanding.
Toby Dramit (02-25-24)
Old 02-24-24, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 02-24-24, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix
Old 02-24-24, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own this

First time watching this in 4K and on a 82" TV and first time watching it overall since 2014.

Maybe I revisit it again when a new video format comes out.

I did not mind the additional scenes Lucas put in this compared to Return of the Jedi where he changed the Vader's final battle with the Emperor with the scream.

Old 02-24-24, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Godzilla vs Kong Warner Bros 4K
Alexander Skarsgard. Directed by Adam Wingard. 2021
Kong and his protectors undertake a perilous journey to find his true home. However, they soon find themselves in the path of an enraged Godzilla as he cuts a swath of destruction across the globe.

Fifth Grade Me in 1969 would have thought this was the greatest movie ever made! However, Old Man Me kind of feels like I made a mistake buying this thing, even though I got it for Black Friday prices. Really well-produced disc, though.
Old 02-25-24, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson

Massacre at Central High Synapse Blu-Ray
Andrew Stevens. Directed by Rene Daalder. 1976
A high school transfer student, pushed to the edge by a trio of brutal bullies, resorts to murder to reclaim the school from oppression, and later turns against the students wanting to fill the vacuum of their oppressors.

"Massacre at Central High" came out briefly in 1976 but was re-discovered in the early '80s; I first heard of it on a "Guilty Pleasures" episode of "Siskel & Ebert" and it finally turned up late night on Showtime. It's an Exploitation film with all the usual beats of Sex, Violence and Nudity, but Dutch director Rene Daalder has something more in mind. It's a thoughtful film that's a bit of a political allegory on the nature of Violence and Power that's still relevant Today. The characters fit certain stereotypes that the story needs, but they are played with more depth than you usually find in such films. It's far from perfect, -it features a turgid producer-imposed "Love Theme" over the opening credits (while cutting to glimpses of sex and violence from later in the film) that is just cringe-worthy. At times the pace drags and the number of gruesome murders at this high school makes you wonder why the police haven't shown up.

It's a good package from Synapse, with a 40-minute "Making Of" and audio interviews with the director and some of the surviving cast. The picture quality is outstanding.
Love this film and have the Synapse blu-ray as well ...

I'll recommend the 1971 high-school murder flick Pretty Maids All In A Row as a follow up, with Rock Hudson, Angie Dickinson, and Telly Savalas.
Old 02-25-24, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Lair of the White Worm Lionsgate Blu-Ray
Amanda Donohoe. Directed by Ken Russell. 1986
Scottish archaeologist Angus Flint discovers an odd skull amid the ruins of a convent and learns of the legend of the D'Ampton Worm, a huge dragon-snake. As people begin disappearing and acting strangely, it appears that an ancient cult is attempting to resurrect the Worm.

Ken Russell made a career of "arty", provocative films like "The Devils", "Altered States", "Tommy" and "Women in Love". "White Worm" was sold as a Horror Film but Russell saw it as a Comedy. It's not at all funny, but some scenes are so over-the-top as to be considered Campy.

Amanda Donohoe has the lead role as the snake-worshipping femme fatale, decked out in sexy outfits and eventually wearing only body paint and huge serpent fangs. The film also stars Hugh Grant, Catherine Oxenberg and a young, floppy-haired Peter Capaldi 30 years before he would become a cranky, gray-haired "Doctor. Who".

The first half is fairly routine if you’re looking for Horror or Suspense, but it picks up the pace in the second half, particularly if you can forgive the rubbery giant snake. While the film as a whole doesn’t entirely gel, it’s certainly an interesting and eccentric effort featuring a real ear-worm of a folk song.
Old 02-25-24, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

"Stuck in a dead-end desk job, former special forces operative Mason Pettis reluctantly takes on a freelance gig to provide private security for a washed-up journalist as she interviews a ruthless dictator. When a military coup breaks out just as she's about to get the scoop of a lifetime, the unlikely trio must figure out how to survive the jungle and one another to make it out alive."

Not a must see though one scene with maybe a partial side view boob shot of Alison Brie.

Maybe she wants to do a nude scene or something close to it in every movie now.
Old 02-25-24, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson

Godzilla vs Kong Warner Bros 4K
Alexander Skarsgard. Directed by Adam Wingard. 2021
Kong and his protectors undertake a perilous journey to find his true home. However, they soon find themselves in the path of an enraged Godzilla as he cuts a swath of destruction across the globe.

Fifth Grade Me in 1969 would have thought this was the greatest movie ever made! However, Old Man Me kind of feels like I made a mistake buying this thing, even though I got it for Black Friday prices. Really well-produced disc, though.
It is not a classic but more memorable than that 2014 Godzilla movie.
Old 02-25-24, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Hill Netflix
Dennis Quaid. Directed by Jeff Celentano. 2023
The remarkable true-life story of Ricky Hill's improbable journey to play Major League Baseball, despite his father's disapproval.

I heard today that "The Hill" was one of Netflix's most popular films these days, so I thought I'd check it out. It's a Faith-Based Inspirational film, and it unfolds pretty much as you would expect. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you're the audience for this type of film. Overall, it's a moving story but it's much too long and could have been more effective if it had been stream-lined. It just has too many supporting characters and side-stories that dilute the film's focus.

Here's the other thing: After the final scene, there's the now-usual bit where you see photos of the real people involved and you find out what happened to the character down the road and its annoyingly vague and dissatisfying. I googled the true story and I can see why they stopped where they did.
Old 02-26-24, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 997 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Peacock

I liked it but thought i would love it.

The final hour or 30 minutes kind of dragged with that backroom interrogation.

I thought maybe they would show both bombs hitting Japan but Nolan decided not to show that.

Now I know why Murphy looked frail since he lost weight for the role and first time I think Robert Downey Jr played a villian in a movie?

Toby Dramit (02-26-24)
Old 02-26-24, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot
Old 02-26-24, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

It was not bad but probably really slow and just a collection of scenes for most people
Old 02-27-24, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

BlackBerry (2023) - Hulu

Old 02-27-24, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO

This is Razzie material and was awful.

I thought Nick Offerman would have had a bigger role but he only appeared in the end.
Old 02-27-24, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"Anxiety-ridden Millie is on her way from Wellington to New York for an internship at a prestigious architecture firm when a moment of panic causes her to miss her flight."

A indie comedy from New Zealand and maybe slow but I liked it though the things she does are ridiculous
Old 02-27-24, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,025 Likes on 724 Posts

Silent Hill

Old 02-28-24, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Archbishop Desmond Tutu (Forest Whittaker) assesses murderer Piet Blomfield's (Eric Bana) bid for amnesty. Blomfield looks for redemption for his actions through his meetings with the Archbishop.

A nice story but not a fun movie to watch

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.