Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-30-24, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Superman II Max 4K
Christopher Reeve. Directed by Richard Lester. 1981
Three escaped criminals from the planet Krypton test the Man of Steel's mettle in this hit sequel. Led by General Zod, the Kryptonians take control of the White House and partner with Lex Luthor to destroy Superman and rule the world.

I remember seeing "Superman II" in the theater on opening weekend and thinking it was much more entertaining than the original. The first half of "Superman the Movie" was terrific, but the second half was dominated by a campy Lex Luthor and Otis, and "just go with it" ideas like Superman being able to turn back time. In the sequel, General Zod, Ursa and Non were a far more serious threat, and the battles actually seemed like something out of a comic book.

Having watched it many times over the years, I've adjusted my view and now see "Superman II" as an entertaining but flawed film, with great performances and action set-pieces, but a script that is way too convenient and dopey at times. There are also a lot of lame sight gags.

Max's 4K stream has a far livelier appearance than the 4K UHD disc of "Superman the Movie". Occasionally, though, the skin tones lean a little peach or orange, and the increased resolution makes some of the dated effects really stick out.

Last edited by DWilson; 01-30-24 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-30-24, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 749 Posts

Earthquake - 1974 (Anyone know if the BD actually has good LFE for the earthquake scenes? I watched this on a streaming service and you could barely hear it. Certainly nothing like the sensurround in the theatre.)

Old 01-31-24, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Couch Trip FreeVee
Dan Aykroyd. Directed by Michael Ritchie. 1988
An escaped mental patient assumes the identity of a psychiatrist and through a series of events lands a gig as a radio host.

"The Couch Trip" sounds really good on paper. It's got an able comic cast (Dan Aykroyd, Charles Grodin, Walter Matthau) and a talented director in Michael Ritchie ("The Bad News Bears", 'Fletch"), and it's adapted from a novel, which suggests an actual story. However, even though it was trying really hard, the story is rushed through and lacks plausibility. The characters are cliched and one-dimensional, and I really didn't care about them.

Last edited by DWilson; 02-01-24 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 776 Likes on 632 Posts

I remember the Couch Trip would air on weekend afternoons on KTVU 2 back in the early 90's.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 02-01-24 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"Robert Rodriguez's take concerned a rebel named Dude Delaney (David Arquette) who dreams of leaving his dead end small town and becoming a rockabilly star but gets caught up in a nasty feud with the town's local sheriff (William Sadler) and his son (Jason Wiles)."

If you think Salma Hayek is hot now she was on a whole other level back in 1994.

It was ok but you won't die if you miss it though there was a scene where they were watching "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and Kevin McCarthy was in the audience watching it too.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 02-01-24 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Two prankster tire salesmen are forced to become secretaries after their long-suffering boss finally gets tired of their antics."

If you want some laughs with male chauvinistic behavior on full display this is for you

Old 02-01-24, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"A Mexican father's Christmas celebration goes from merry to messy when his daughter shows up with her new boyfriend."

Maybe going a little overboard with the Mexican stereotypes

it had some laughs and Jack Kilmer the son of Val Kilmer was in it though I assume most people will not care for it.
Old 02-01-24, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"An alcoholic ballplayer (Scott Elrod) has to return to his hometown to enter a rehab program and coach a youth baseball league."

It is a faith film though for only for a few scenes and did not think it was that bad.
Old 02-01-24, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

"The Roman Catholic Church combats a global rise in demonic possessions by reopening schools to train priests to perform exorcisms. Although nuns are forbidden to perform this ritual, a professor recognizes Sister Ann's gifts and agrees to train her. Thrust onto the spiritual frontline, she soon finds herself in a battle for the soul of a young girl who's possessed by the same demon that tormented her own mother years earlier."

Jacqueline Byers is almost a dead ringer for Britt Marling
Old 02-01-24, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

"In 1973, a young gallery assistant is drawn into the wild, never-ending party that is artist Salvador DalŪ's life in New York City. As he helps the aging genius prepare for an important show, he discovers not everything is as it seems."

It was a conventional biopic on a unconventional man and artist.

I think this was the movie debut of Christopher Briney and Ezra Miller plays a young Dali and Suki Waterhouse appears in a small number of scenes.
Old 02-01-24, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix
Old 02-01-24, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

I wanted to like or love it but except for maybe 2 or 3 scenes I was not really engaged with the characters or the story and most of those scenes I liked had Maya Hawke in them.

I hope it does not win any Oscars.
Old 02-01-24, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mayhem! Amazon Prime Rental 4K
Nassim Leyes. Directed by Xavier Gens. 2023
Sam is an ex-con who builds a new life in Thailand, but soon he finds himself forced back into crime. When his a crime boss attacks his family after a failed drug exchange, Sam vows revenge.

Sub-Titled. A brutally effective Revenge film with action reminiscent of "The Raid" or Tony Jaa's films. As with most Action films these days, it exists in a Fantasy World in regard to how much punishment a human body can take and still keep going. It's a "slow burn", with most of the fights happening in the final third, though once it gets going it's pretty relentless. Excellent cinematography.

Last edited by DWilson; 02-06-24 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

"A novelist's long-standing marriage suddenly turns upside down when she overhears her husband give his honest reaction to her latest book."

It was not bad though maybe a little slow in some parts
Old 02-01-24, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Innocent Blood Warner Archive Blu-Ray
Anne Parillaud. Directed by John Landis. 1992
A sexy (and very hungry) vampire targets The Mob as her prey, and crosses paths with an undercover cop.

John Landis has an affinity for bloody Horror as well as unsophisticated Comedy, and this is a cartoonish and entertaining film that combines both; actually, I enjoyed it more this time than I did over thirty years ago. It's just not to meant to be taken seriously, and its depiction of The Mob is more informed by Mob movies than the genuine article. This was a few years before The Sopranos, though several cast members and guest-stars show up. Excellent cast with Robert Loggia in a bravura, scenery-chewing role (sometimes literally), along with Chazz Palminteri, Anthony LaPaglia, Don Rickles, Tony Sirico, and David Proval, many of whom end drenched in blood and prosthetic make-up effects by the film's end. Anne Parillaud was capitalizing on her brief "Le Femme Nikita" fame and provides a surprising amount of nudity. Warner Archive gives their usual fine presentation, but (as is often the case), the only Bonus is a trailer.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (02-02-24)
Old 02-02-24, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your Lucky Day Well Go USA Blu-Ray
Jason O'Mara. Directed by Dan Brown. 2023
After a dispute over a winning lottery ticket turns into a deadly hostage situation, the witnesses must decide exactly how far they'll go, and how much blood they're willing to spill, for a cut of the $156 million.

Tense Thriller that relies on frequent plot twists to keep your attention, some credible, some more dependent on coincidence. Dan Brown, -expanding his 2010 short film, - directs with a lot of visual style. Morally bleak, if that's a concern.
Old 02-02-24, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Groundhog Day Sony Blu-Ray
Bill Murray. Directed by Harold Ramis. 1993
A narcissistic TV weatherman, along with his attractive-but-distant producer and mawkish cameraman, is sent to report on Groundhog Day in the small town of Punxsutawney, where he finds himself repeating the same day over and over.

I probably haven't watched "Groundhog Day" since I saw it in the theater back in '93, but this seemed like the right day to re-visit it (Hell, AMC has been running it on a loop today). It still remains an excellent Fantasy. It's a pleasant light comedy, but it also has an emotional depth that I appreciate. It's amazing how many films and Television shows have borrowed the concept over the years.
Old 02-03-24, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This Is Spinal Tap MGM Blu-Ray
Directed by Rob Reiner. 1984
A spoof documentary about a once-famous, now almost forgotten British heavy metal band returning to the United States after 17 years for a concert tour.

I've heard a story that Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Schearer have to perform as "Spinal Tap" every so often just to retain their rights to the characters. One of my first ever purchases on Ebay was the Criterion DVD of "This Is Spinal Tap", which had gone out of print. Back then I thought if a disc went out of print that you'd never be able to get that film on disc ever again, so I paid a little too much. However, the disc has exclusive commentaries and such that have never seen the light of day since, so it's not a total loss. Still amusing, with a trove of extras, but the picture quality is just fair (though it's always had a faux documentary low-rez look).
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (02-03-24)
Old 02-03-24, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

"Based on the 2010 novel The Postcard Killers by James Patterson and Liza Marklund, The Postcard Killings is a crime/mystery movie that follows grieving NYPD detective Jacob Kanon, who delves deeper into the murder case of his daughter and son-in-law during their honeymoon in London."

Kind of a ridiculous movie and wonder if Jeffrey Dean Morgan mailed it in since some of his acting seemed off.
Old 02-03-24, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

A young American actress (Maika Monroe) moves with her husband to Bucharest, and begins to suspect that a stranger who watches her from an apartment window may be a serial killer.

It was not a bad movie for a rainy day.
Old 02-03-24, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MGM+

I knew of it but never got around to seeing it.

I just knew it was the film debut of Danny Trejo.

Kind of stupid with bad acting and lame dialogue.

Somehow they managed to make Rebecca DeMornay one of the hottest actresses ever look plain and ugly with the dark hair and maybe little or no makeup.
Old 02-03-24, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 293 Likes on 243 Posts

Leviathan - Max
I have not seen it in many a year, but this is a solid underwater creature flick with a great cast.
Old 02-04-24, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

MGM+

I knew of it but never got around to seeing it.

I just knew it was the film debut of Danny Trejo.

Kind of stupid with bad acting and lame dialogue.

Somehow they managed to make Rebecca DeMornay one of the hottest actresses ever look plain and ugly with the dark hair and maybe little or no makeup.

This is a remake of a Kurosawa movie and is regarded as the best film of Cannon Films entire catalog.
Old 02-04-24, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,184 Likes on 922 Posts

Rocky II- Iíve seen the original many times but havenít watched the sequels as often. Iíve definitely seen the second film but not for a while. Pretty good follow-up overall but definitely not as good as the original film.

I like everything between Rocky and Adrian but I dislike how Rocky acts dumbed down. The rematch with Creed is well done and itís satisfying to see Rocky win.
Old 02-04-24, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Conan The Barbarian Arrow 4K
Arnold Schwarzenegger. Directed by John Milius. 1982
Epic tale of child sold into slavery who grows into a man who seeks revenge against the warlord who massacred his tribe.

This was a long time coming! I owned the laserdisc and the DVD, but dodged the blu-ray because I'd heard the video was weak and the soundtrack had some missing pieces. This Arrow disc is certainly a welcome remedy. It looks terrific, though I'd forgotten how dark much of the film was and the HDR emphasizes that. I'll probably be going through the supplements well into tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.