Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 12-22-23, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Johnny Dangerously…the never talked about, but dearly beloved. This has always been one of my forgotten favorites. Not many talk about this one. I think it is an outstanding comedic take on the mob movie. So underrated imo.
Keaton was great. The less roided plastic surgery laden Joe Piscopo. You would never have guessed this would be an Amy Heckerling movie. This is more Mel Brooks. But still a fantastic, fun movie.

Why does this not have an HD release??

That use to be a staple on KICU channel 36 in the 90's when they would show a movie at 8pm

I think it kind of pushed the boundaries of a PG-13 movie and wonder what they edited out with the ad breaks

It should get a Blu-ray release since Michael Keaton is in it.
Old 12-23-23, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

Scrooged- I donít think Iíve ever seen this all the way through before last night. Over the top and a bit different from what I expected. Bill Murray gives a good performance at being unlikable until his turn and change of heart at the end.

Paddington- Iíve wanted to watch it for a while and finally got around to it. Very cute and charming family movie. Iíll definitely watch the sequel.
Old 12-23-23, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

The Nightmare Before Christmas Disney 4K
Directed by Henry Selick 1993
When the king of Halloween Town, Jack Skellington, gets bored of his job preparing for Halloween every year, he discovers Christmas Town and is inspired to take control of Christmas season for a change.

"Nightmare" remains a tremendous technical achievement and this 4K is the best home presentation of it. The HDR draws out new subtleties of color that were not as noticeable before, which adds dimension to the figures. Bright colors pop, but in a way that feels natural and organic. Comparing it to the 4K, the blu-ray seems more harsh and digital looking. "Nightmare" is harder to embrace than some of Disney's standard Musicals, -it's more of an operetta, and these are not tunes you'll be singing in the car or that will turn up on "Disney Night" on "American Idol". But, damn, it remains an amazing piece of work.
Old 12-23-23, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Army of the Dead (2021) - Netflix

Old 12-23-23, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rumble Through the Dark Lion's Gate Blu-Ray
Aaron Eckhart. Directed by Graham and Parker Phillips. 2023
In the dark landscape of the Mississippi Delta, a bare knuckle cage fighter seeks to repay his debts in a final, desperate attempt to salvage the family home of his dying foster mother.

I first saw Aaron Eckhart in Neil LaBute's "In the Company of Men", a impressive film about what we now call "Toxic Masculinity"; Aaron was terrific in a "good-looking guy who's really a bastard" role and it seems to have marked him for a career of playing shit-heels for the most part, and, of course, "Two Face" in "The Dark Knight". Lately, he seems to be on a run of playing bad-asses, -I just watched him in "Muzzle" and his next role is as a former FBI agent with a "particular set of skills" in "The Bricklayer".

Eckhart is excellent in "Rumble" and he certainly got himself in shape for the role. The film starts strong and ends strong, but it meanders quite a bit in the middle. Don't get me wrong, all that stuff in the middle helps build the story and develop the characters and it's rich in atmosphere, but the tale is so downbeat and the world so seamy that it makes the middle section a bit of a trudge.

The plot also employs a coincidence or two that even a Faith-Based film might give a side-eye to.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-24-23 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-23-23, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon Digital rental

A different kind of Xmas movie

Tormented by personal demons, Ralphie encounters a mysterious organization of men who welcome him as one of their own. As he struggles to define himself, pressure mounts and a powder keg is lit as he blows a hole in the lives of everyone he touches.

Jessie Eisenberg as you never saw him before and he did a great job though the ending is
Spoiler:
Dark and a unexpected Gheorghe Muresan cameo at the end

I liked it and it is worth a watch.
Old 12-23-23, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own this

Maybe Christian Bale saved time on research since he played a yuppie prick and American Psycho in 2000.

Jeffrey Wright has come a long way from this but looked like he was having fun in the role
Old 12-24-23, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Cold Mountain (2003) — First time seeing this in a long time, probably back in theaters circa 2003/2004. I remembered bits and pieces. Good performances from Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger while Jude Law acquitted himself well enough, however never fully bought into the romance aspects, but the horrors of the Civil War was an interesting element. The direction from Anthony Minghella was solid along with the cinematography and production design. ***Ĺ/***** (Blu-ray)
Old 12-24-23, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
Jason Momoa. Directed by James Wan. 2023
Having failed to defeat Aquaman the first time, Black Manta, still driven by the need to avenge his fatherís death, will stop at nothing to take Aquaman down once and for all. This time Black Manta is more formidable than ever before, wielding the power of the mythic Black Trident, which unleashes an ancient and malevolent force. To defeat him, Aquaman will turn to his imprisoned brother Orm, the former King of Atlantis, to forge an unlikely alliance.

Let's be real, -most comic books aren't Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, they're Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema (old Comics readers will get the reference). Based on what I've been hearing, I went in with lowered expectations, but I found it entertaining enough and nothing about it really offended me. I know that there have been re-shoots and re-edits and there are some "exposition dumps" that feel like patches for missing scenes. Certainly, it could have been a better realized film, but It's far from the disaster I expected (except, perhaps, at the box office).
Old 12-24-23, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rebel Moon: Part One - Child of Fire Netflix
Sofia Boutella. Directed by Zack Snyder 2023
When a peaceful settlement on the edge of a distant moon finds itself threatened by the armies of a tyrannical ruling force, Kora, a mysterious stranger living among the villagers, becomes their best hope for survival. Tasked with finding trained fighters who will unite with her in making an impossible stand against the Mother World, Kora assembles a small band of warriors who share a common need for redemption and revenge.

Here's another film that's been crapped on all week, but I enjoyed it. Certainly, it shows its influences, and it will never be described as incredibly original, but it moves nicely and Snyder pulls off some great visual moments. I look forward to the promised longer "uncut" version that Snyder says provides a slightly different take on the story.
Old 12-24-23, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Questor Tapes Kino Lorber Blu-Ray
Robert Foxworth, Mike Farrell. Directed by Richard A. Colla. 1974
Questor, an android, goes on the run to find his creator, bringing along a reluctant scientist to guide him in the ways of human beings.

After "Star Trek" was cancelled (only to become a hit in syndication) producer Gene Rodenberry launched a few TV pilot films, "Genesis II", "Planet Earth" and "The Questor Tapes". The first two weren't sold, but Universal was willing to go with "Questor", if it went in the direction of "The Incredible Hulk", ditching his sidekick, making the android Questor a lone "man on the run" who would encounter a guest star each week and become involved in their story. Gene had bigger things in mind for the property and turned them down.

It's a good, smart film and worth watching. It suffers only from being a Seventies Universal TV show, - tidy production values, good supporting cast of contract players, and a stolid pace by Today's standards. Kino's picture quality is quite good, and it comes with an informative commentary.
Old 12-24-23, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon digital or pay per view rental

Formerly a translator for the United States military in Afghanistan, Donya struggles to rebuild her life in San Francisco and works for a Chinese fortune cookie factory. In a moment of sudden revelation, she decides to send out a special message in one of the cookies.

It was filmed in my hometown though did not recognize anything Fremont in the locales maybe since it was shot in black and white.

It has a Jim Jarmusch vibe.

I bet this might get some consideration at the Independent Spirit Awards and maybe Oscar love?
Old 12-24-23, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

On a trip to the beach Tobe (Evan Rachel Wood) meets a charismatic stranger named Harlan (Edward Norton), who dresses like a cowboy and claims to be a former ranch hand.

The pair feel an instant attraction and begin a relationship, but her father (David Morse), a lawman, is suspicious of her lover.

Maybe I saw this before in the aughts but I forgot

I was into it until maybe the last 20 minutes and then it became kind of ridicolous and don't know what was the theme or the point of the movie
Old 12-24-23, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Christmas Story Warner Bros 4K
Peter Billingsley. Directed by Bob Clark. 1983
Set in a 1940s-era Midwestern town and told from the viewpoints of a seven-year-old boy, who only wants one thing for Christmas ó a Red Ryder BB gun.

I remember taking my girlfriend to see "A Christmas Story" on opening weekend. It was a Saturday night and there wasn't a big crowd. It would be a while before it became a beloved classic. We both enjoyed the film and afterward we went to get something to eat and we shared memories of Christmases past for well over an hour. It's a memory I treasure.
It's an excellent presentation and includes the supplements from previous editions.

Old 12-25-23, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Bought 4K UHD version last week

Old 12-25-23, 06:35 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

The best version is a subject worth debating. Maybe because it's the first version I watched this is my favorite. Alastair Sim is great as the miser, as pitiful and as happy. I like the pacing which spends time establishing why he's that way. I always laugh when he starts dancing and the housemaid runs screaming.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (12-25-23)
Old 12-25-23, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 Warner Bros. 4K
Daniel Radcliffe. Directed by David Yates. 2010
As Harry races against time and evil to destroy the Horcruxes, he uncovers the existence of the three most powerful objects in the wizarding world: the Deathly Hallows.

I had only watched the film once before, on blu-ray. I had forgotten that this chapter was more intense than the previous films, and certainly darker both visually and in texture. Its effective, overall, but I can't help feeling a better director could have gotten more out of the material. I've got to respect the fact that the production didn't cheap out, and they maintained the depth of characters in the story, even if the actors only had a scene or two or were essentially in the background.
Old 12-26-23, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The Black Room (1983) — Not a half bad 1980s horror-thriller that might not always work in terms of the writing (more specifically the dialogue), but I was pretty entertained throughout, even if the ending felt like it was from a different movie, splicing in a bit of vampirism into the mix. Watched the new Vinegar Syndrome release which was very well done. ***ľ/***** (Blu-ray)
Old 12-26-23, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I hadn't seen this in years, but brought along my old Critical Mass blu-ray to watch on Christmas morning at my parent's house. Still so effective and creepy. My mom ended up burning her broccoli casserole because she got distracted watching the last act.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (12-26-23)
Old 12-26-23, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts

Mr. Monk's Last Case: A Monk Movie - it was fun seeing these characters again, hope it's not really his last case.
Old 12-26-23, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Beauty & The Beast (Disney)
Old 12-26-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Bought 4K UHD version last week

You could have flipped to HBO Family since that airs almost daily on that channel and saved money
Old 12-26-23, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched part of it around March 2022 and finally finished it in Dec 2023
Old 12-26-23, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MGM +

With the advent of World War I, Europe is thrown into a brutal and vicious chaos as men are forced to kill or be killed. While blood soaks the battlefield as Christmas approaches, the men in the trenches of the Western Front face a transformation, however fleeting, toward peace and goodwill. Against all odds, four unlikely individuals from opposing sides (Diane Kruger, Benno FŁrmann, Guillaume Canet, Gary Lewis) bond during this bloodless respite to experience the hope and goodness in humanity.

A good cast but the movie is boring
Old 12-26-23, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2 Warner Bros 4K
Daniel Radcliffe. Directed by David Yates. 2011
In the epic finale, the battle between the good and evil forces of the wizarding world escalates into an all-out war.

It's fitting that the final film of the saga is the strongest entry of the series. Lots of heroic flourishes and sentimental moments. The HDR certainly adds a lot of flash to all the spells, and flames and explosions.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.