Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 12-11-23, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Leave the World Behind - I liked it, but would it have killed Esmail to spend some of the 2 hours and 20 minutes with some actual character development? Or, at the very least, do something to make the characters a little more likable/relatable. Hawke and Ali were the only 2 that even came close to being engaging.
Old 12-11-23, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 209 Posts

Bye Bye Barry Documentary (2023) - Prime

Old 12-11-23, 03:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Sleeping Beauty (Disney, 1959) w my 2 Granddaughters.
Old 12-12-23, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 669 Likes on 552 Posts

MGM +

Former Buffalo Soldier Mo Washington (Letitia Wright) travels West to lay claim on a gold mine. After her stagecoach is ambushed, Mo is tasked with holding a dangerous outlaw captive (Jaime Bell) and must survive the day when the bandit's gang tries to free him.
Old 12-12-23, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

"Desperate for cash, family man Shelby (Shiloh Fernandez) helps his crook brother (Kevin Dillon) rob a pill store in small-town Dixie. When things turn violent, the New Orleans Mafia are alerted, sending enforcer Clayton (Stephen Dorff) to exact revenge as Sheriff Bodie Davis (John Travolta) tries to keep the peace."

It was not as bad as I expected but not great either

Maybe most will not like the ending or what seems like the ending until the next event occurs.
Old 12-12-23, 10:49 AM

101 Dalmatians Beauty (Disney, 1960) w my 2 Granddaughters.
Old 12-12-23, 05:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 864 Likes on 731 Posts

The Outfit…for the 3rd time. Rylance gives a brilliant, Oscar winning performance. So nuanced, so perfect. Just a great film with a great performance.
Old 12-12-23, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a underrated movie nobody saw
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (12-13-23)
Old 12-12-23, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cinemax

It is kind of cheesy but entertaining

I wish it was on Blu-ray
Old 12-12-23, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own this

It got average reviews but I thought it was hilarious with several LOL moments and a great supporting cast with Greg Kinnear, Steve Martin, Sigourney Weaver, and Romany Malco.

I wish they would do another movie together and their last movie was Sisters.
Old 12-12-23, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts

Attack of the Doc! Blu-Ray
Written and Directed by Chris Gore. 2023

Chris Gore's "Attack of the Doc!" is a love letter to G4TV's "Attack of the Show", -a daily pop culture show, -and it left me wishing I'd have watched a lot more of it than I did. The documentary captures the spirit of the show and its triumphs and tribulations. It's also hilarious, if the show's often crude skits and off-the -cuff humor is your particular cup of tea, and it certainly is mine. I wish the disc had new interviews with Olivia Munn and Kevin Pereira but the extras include lengthy audio interviews with many who worked behind-the-scenes on the show.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-13-23 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New Fist of Fury ArrowBlu-Ray
Jackie Chan. Directed by Wei Lo. 1976
A young man sets out to avenge his grandfather's death and prove his martial arts mastery.

The Arrow package features the original 2hr version and a much-shorter re-release version that was re-cut to feature the up-and-coming Jackie Chan (which is the version I watched after sampling the longer version). It's a good print and the film is entertaining for what it is, though it pales in comparison with Chan's later features. The ending, -which tries (unsuccessfully, in my opinion) to echo the dark final shot of the Bruce Lee's "Fist of Fury", -just feels painfully abrupt.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-13-23 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-13-23, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Silent Night Lion's Gate
Joel Kinnaman. Directed by John Woo. 2023.
A devastated everyman prepares himself for bloody revenge on the gang members that killed his child.

Even though "Silent Night" has a stripped-down narrative, it still takes a while to set up the film's emotional stakes. Perhaps that's why I found it less exhilarating than "Hard Target". Don't get me wrong, it's still a watchable Action film. I did think parts of it hearkened back to some of the ideas in Woo's darkly operatic Chinese films, while also echoing moments from "Death Wish". Joel Kinnaman really gives his all to the film.
Old 12-13-23, 10:17 AM

Hunter Killer, nicely done submarine thriller with Gerald Butler
Old 12-13-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Leave the World Behind - I thought most of this movie was pretty good, mainly the first two acts. Well directed, pretty suspenseful, and I thought Hawke and Ali were great. Didn't really like the actress that played Ali's daughter (although I also thought she was kinda written as a largely one-note character), and part of me wanders if the movie would've been better served if someone like Amy Adams had played the Julia Roberts role, as Roberts was the weak link of the cast, I thought. It's worth watching, but the ending was kind of fitting but a little underwhelming at the same time. It certainly fit with the movie, but given my personal animosity to a certain bit of pop culture (I'm not going to spoil), it kind of annoyed me.

Talk to Me - The Australian horror movie that comes with a lotta hype. It was really, really great. I seldom like movies that involve demonic possession, but this one held up its end. The direction was outstanding. The shots, the camera set-ups, the editing; the whole movie flowed great. And when the movie gets violent, it's pretty violent. It doesn't hold back. A lot of horror movies (even mediocre ones) generate a ton of hype, but in this case it actually might've been earned. It's a terrific directorial debut by these brothers, who I believe first came to fame generating short films on YouTube (or some site like that). Horror fans should check this out.

Smile - Wasn't sure if I was gonna like this, as I associated it with movies like the Happy Death Day series which, while good enough, I don't consider "great horror movies." This one is more-or-less comparable to a film like that, but I suppose that's not actually that bad of a thing, as it's enjoyable enough. In fact, the first two acts are pretty terrific. And the direction is nearly as great as the above-mentioned film; very assured, very stylized without resorting to heavy-cutting/over-editing. The movie carries a sense of dread that comes across really effectively, and the acting is pretty solid all-around. I did feel it kind of falls apart in the final act, but the ultimate conclusion is effective enough. The movie has it's own sense of logic that it generally adheres to throughout. So all in all a good, solid horror film worth checking out. Not as good as something like Talk to Me, but miles better than the last two quite awful Scream sequels...

Okja - This was a bit of a let down, given Bong Joon Ho's filmography. It's well-shot, and the girl that plays the main character is terrific. Her face is very expressive and she really doesn't require (nor does she have) much dialogue to convey her emotions. Her expressions alone had me laughing several times. On the other hand, Gyllenhaal took an interesting approach to his role, playing him as some sort of take-off of a certain well-known Austrailian crocodile hunter. His performance was a bit much for me. Tilda Swinton took a similar approach but for whatever reason she always seems to find the appropriate balance so she actually works in the picture. That said, the CGI is better-than-average but still really sticks out throughout the movie (probably unavoidable, but still), and the message the movie is trying to convey is a bit muddled and at the same time comes across as forced. Glad I finally got this outta my queue, but it just doesn't even come close to rivalling his best work, which in my mind remains Memories of Murder and Mother...and obviously, the next one here...

Parasite - Finally, finally watched this. I'll have to think about this for a while before fully forming an opinion but my first thoughts are this: I thought it was pretty great. Awesome, suspenseful, twisty story that goes off in a lot of directions I didn't expect (although the main storyline was quite apparent early on so that was no surprise). The direction is obviously awesome, and the acting is great. Love the mixture of suspense and humour. It really checks off all boxes. And the plot just moves along extremely fast. I will say that at least a couple of the twists had me a bit....not muddled or confused, but I maybe questioned the logic of them. The director does a great job of selling those twists, so for the most part they work. The bonkers ending I did not see coming, and I was pretty riveted, so that's gotta be a good thing. Still thinking about exactly the point the director was making, but that's a hallmark of most great films. I guess the biggest surprise for me is that this won Best Picture. I remember at the time thinking that's great, as I love almost everything the filmmaker has done, and I was super-intrigued. Upon finally watching it, I'm just impressed it was even in the running. I mean, I'm glad it was and I think it deserved to be in the mix, but it seems like the type of movie that typically the Academy would completely ignore. So the fact that they acknowledged it is a good thing, and just surprises me. I thought this movie would've been more compromised but no: it's a Bong Joon Ho movie through and through. Glad I watched this, and given the features on the Criterion Blu-Ray, I plan on buying it in the future once I find a decent sale price...
Old 12-13-23, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
The Outfit…for the 3rd time. Rylance gives a brilliant, Oscar winning performance.
Mark Rylance did not, in fact, win an Oscar for his performance in The Outfit.
Old 12-13-23, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Warner Bros 4K
Daniel Radcliffe. Directed by David Yates. 2009
Emboldened by the return of Lord Voldemort, the Death Eaters are wreaking havoc in both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that new dangers may lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching.

The 4K continues to "paint" the films with a darkened and desaturated palette compared to my memory of the blu-rays, but I thought it had a great look throughout that suited the storyline. "Half-Blood" moves at a more measured pace than the previous films, but the characters and their motivations are more mature and intriguing. As the characters age, the actors have proven to be really well-cast and grown in their roles, in particular Daniel Radcliffe.
Old 12-13-23, 09:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 864 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Mark Rylance did not, in fact, win an Oscar for his performance in The Outfit.
I know that. He won it for Bridge of Spies. I was implying it was an Oscar winning worthy performance.
Old 12-14-23, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 589 Posts

I got it, just pointing out that "an Oscar winning performance" and "an Oscar worthy performance" mean two different things.

I agree that Rylance was great in The Outfit, and I love movies like this that do a lot with a little and depend on good writing and excellent acting. And it's a good reminder that the Oscars are hardly definitive of what is "best" in any given year.
Toby Dramit (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 292 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
And it's a good reminder that the Oscars are hardly definitive of what is "best" in any given year.
Exactly. There is no definitive "best". It's all subjective. Votes are cast by the Academy members for any number of reasons.
Old 12-14-23, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ghostbusters: Afterlife - I thought this movie was terrible. God-awful. I thought the kid actors they hired were like the worst of the worst. I still don't understand the hate for the so-called "female" Ghostbusters movie. That one wasn't great or anything, but it was at least watchable. And Kate McKinnon made me laugh. This one was just terrible. Paul Rudd was wasted in this. And even when the original Ghostbusters showed up...it was just embarrassing. Like, you could clearly tell that Bill Murray was just like, "Fuck, whatever." He got paid. Fine. I still like him. But he might as well have just stayed home, as he clearly didn't wanna be there. Didn't even try to be funny. This is a horrible movie, and it sucks that they're making a sequel, cause it'll probably suck just as hard. This movie is BAD BAD BAD.
Old 12-15-23, 01:30 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I've always been a big fan of the space programs and it was nice to see the Mars rovers anthropomorphized. Amazing mission. I worked at JPL for awhile. It was a great place to work and I always enjoy seeing it on screen.
Old 12-15-23, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Minding the Gap - I don't exactly know why but this film felt artificial to me. I think a lot of it has to do with the era in which it was filmed. Like, all of the main characters seem to be "performing" for the camera as opposed to just "being." Like they grew up watching reality TV so they are acting the part. And to be honest, regardless of the subject matter (which can be intense), their stories just aren't that compelling. Surprised this got a Criterion release. It's a lacklustre documentary. Nothing to get too excited about.
Old 12-15-23, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Freaks Criterion DVD
Directed by Tod Browning. 1932
Circus trapeze artist Cleopatra takes an interest in Hans, a little person who works in the circus sideshow, but she is only interested in the money he will be inheriting. At their wedding party, a drunken Cleopatra tells Hans' fellow sideshow "freaks" just what she thinks of them, which leads to a horrifying revenge.

"Freaks" was one of those legendary old films that I heard about for years and years, but I wasn't able to see it until it was finally released on DVD in The 90s. It's not really a Horror film, but a Melodrama with a shocking climax. "Freaks" always been a controversial film, -some people think it's exploitive of the sideshow performers, but others find it more sympathetic, showing their humanity and struggles. I suppose it's both. It's definitely a fascinating little film and the conclusion is gruesome and memorable.
JANK (12-16-23)
Old 12-16-23, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A good cast but a crappy movie

Autumn Reeser from those Hallmark movies did a nude sex scene and showed her tits and the only memorable thing about the film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.