Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 11-27-23, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Those Lips, Those Eyes Amazon Prime
Tom Hulce, Frank Langella. Directed by Michael Pressman 1980
Stagestruck adolescent learns about love the hard way while interning in Cleveland summer stock during the early '50's.

I remember seeing this in the theater back in 1980 during a particularly bad first (and last) date. The memory still makes me cringe, so I've never watched the film again, until tonight.

It's a sincere film that has all the period details and the warmth of a fond memoir. Frank Langella is given a tremendous role as the troupe's leading man, and he makes a meal of it. He's very charming. However, if you've seen your share of "Coming-of-Age" films, -and I certainly have, -you'll see a lot of the story beats coming down the road, and that makes the film play a bit long.

Picture Quality appears to be Standard Def.

Last edited by DWilson; 11-27-23 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-27-23, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 589 Posts

I spent Thanksgiving with the parents, and Dad can always be counted on to fire up an old movie or two to watch. This time it was Music for Millions, starring Jimmy Durante, June Allyson, and child actor Margaret O'Brien. The plot is pretty thin, as this was mainly an excuse to showcase several musical numbers featuring Durante and noted Spanish conductor Josť Iturbi. The musical scenes were very entertaining--Durante was a larger-than-life performer I would have loved to see in person.

Last edited by Cellar Door; 11-27-23 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Quarantine 2: Terminal
Old 11-27-23, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 669 Likes on 552 Posts

Old 11-27-23, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-28-23, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Big Hero Six Disney+ 4K
Directed by Don Hall, Chris Williams. 2014
Brilliant robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada finds himself in the grips of a criminal plot that threatens to destroy the fast-paced, high-tech city of San Fransokyo. With the help of his closest companion, a robot named Baymax, Hiro joins forces with a reluctant team of first-time crime fighters on a mission to save their city.

I had watched this once before, right after it hit blu-ray. Both times, as I watched it, I felt like this should be a favorite of mine, but I always find my attention drifting long before it's over. Excellent animation, though, and the streaming picture quality was excellent.
Old 11-28-23, 05:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Everything is so overblown that it's hilarious. The score, the dialog, the costuming, but especially the tough guy attitude.
Old 11-28-23, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody from Vanderpump Rules plays Willis's daughter

Enuff said
Old 11-29-23, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Report to the Commissioner Kino Blu-Ray
Michael Moriarty. Directed by Milton Katselas. 1975
When Detective Bo Lockley gets in a shoot-out with drug-dealing pimp "Stick" Henderson, he accidently kills his girlfriend, "Chicklet". When it's discovered that "Chicklet" was an undercover cop, it threatens a major scandal and an investigation begins.

This is a lesser known '70s "Cop" film, and that's a shame, because it's quite good. Michael Moriarty was a new face at this point, and he gives an idiosyncratic performance, full of actorly tics and tricks. It works because he's meant to be a fish out of water, not in tune with "The System". "The System", on the other hand, is played by solid supporting actors like Yaphet Kotto, Hector Elizondo, Stephen Elliot and Vic Tayback. There are also early appearances by William Devane, Richard Gere and Bob Balaban. It's shot entirely in New York and has the immediacy and flavor of films like "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3". There are several great suspense scenes, including an extended foot chase through the streets of New York, and an armed stand-off in an elevator. Script by Ernest Tidyman ("The French Connection") and Abby Mann ("Judgement at Nuremberg"). It's a grim, gritty story that's very much a product of its time.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (12-01-23)
Old 11-29-23, 04:21 PM

Another gritty 70s movie about rogue cops with a great car chase. Although I remembered it wrong
Spoiler:
I thought it was the bad guys car and it was at the end of the movie. Also even if one didn't get decapitated one wound hardly get out only breathing heavily. Also I didn't understand why Buddy jumped to the conclusion that Vito was the head of the bad guys. Everyone in that neighborhood knew who the mob bosses were.
I know it's only a movie.
Goonies85 (12-06-23)
Old 11-29-23, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

One of the better movies I have seen recently

Liam (Daryl McCormack), an aspiring and ambitious young writer, eagerly accepts a tutoring position at the family estate of his idol, renowned author J.M. Sinclair (Academy Award nominee Richard E. Grant). But soon, Liam realizes that he is ensnared in a web of family secrets, resentment, and retribution.

McCormack was in Good Luck Leo Grande another movie worth watching.
Old 11-30-23, 05:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 861 Likes on 730 Posts

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Old 11-30-23, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

After a lost hiker stumbles into the cabin of an eccentric old man (Stephen Lang), it becomes clear that one of them is hiding a terrifying secret.

Maybe the ending might not please everybody but Lang probably gave the best performance of his career.
Old 11-30-23, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

"Caught behind enemy lines in 1942, a small group of resistance fighters broadcast a message of hope to fellow survivors over the radio as they try to avoid the Gestapo."

Cary Elwes, Jason Patric, and Judd Hirsch are part of the cast though Hirsch does not have a lot of scenes.

I was not into it until the big dinner scene near the end

Not the best WWII movie if you are in the mood though Greer Grammer is not bad to look at.
Old 12-01-23, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 292 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson

Report to the Commissioner Kino Blu-Ray
Michael Moriarty. Directed by Milton Katselas. 1975
When Detective Bo Lockley gets in a shoot-out with drug-dealing pimp "Stick" Henderson, he accidently kills his girlfriend, "Chicklet". When it's discovered that "Chicklet" was an undercover cop, it threatens a major scandal and an investigation begins.

This is a lesser known '70s "Cop" film, and that's a shame, because it's quite good. Michael Moriarty was a new face at this point, and he gives an idiosyncratic performance, full of actorly tics and tricks. It works because he's meant to be a fish out of water, not in tune with "The System". "The System", on the other hand, is played by solid supporting actors like Yaphet Kotto, Hector Elizondo, Stephen Elliot and Vic Tayback. There are also early appearances by William Devane, Richard Gere and Bob Balaban. It's shot entirely in New York and has the immediacy and flavor of films like "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3". There are several great suspense scenes, including an extended foot chase through the streets of New York, and an armed stand-off in an elevator. Script by Ernest Tidyman ("The French Connection") and Abby Mann ("Judgement at Nuremberg"). It's a grim, gritty story that's very much a product of its time.
Just watched the trailer and read Savant's blu-ray review. This looks pretty good ...

I can snag a copy on Amazon.ca for the low, low price of $275.90 CAD.
Old 12-01-23, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Dive RLJE DVD
Sophie Lowe, Louisa Krause. Directed by Maximilian Erlenwein. 2023
Two sisters go diving at a beautiful, remote location. One of the sisters is struck by a rock, leaving her trapped 28 meters below. With dangerously low levels of oxygen and cold temperatures, it is up to her sister to fight for her life.

I was only able to get this from the library on DVD (though because its RLJE, it'll probably show up on an AMC+ channel like Shudder, which I only subscribe to when there's a deal). More recent DVDs generally look pretty good when they're upscaled, but I had a lot of compression-related artifacts (like banding) for the first half-hour. Then, it suddenly improved greatly. As I always say, it might be the disc or it might be my display.

I wish I could say "The Dive" is a suspense classic, -all the elements are there, -but while it held my attention, it didn't quite engage me as much as I'd like. The story involves two sisters who've hit a rough patch in their relationship, but that is never really fleshed out in a way that gives the film some depth and emotion beyond the mission at hand.
Old 12-01-23, 09:10 PM

Close in title ^ The Driver. Ryan Gosling is better than Ryan O'Neil but if Nicolas Winding Refn claims he never saw this movie he's lying. The opening scene is almost note for note. Great car chases and Bruce Dern at his sleaziest.
Old 12-01-23, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Dramit
I can snag a copy on Amazon.ca for the low, low price of $275.90 CAD.
Given Kino Lorber has re-released movies in the past, this one is primed for one. Of course, I don't know if they currently have the rights anymore.
Toby Dramit (12-01-23)
Old 12-02-23, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Godzilla Criterion Blu-Ray
Directed by Ishiro Honda. 1954

Having tickets to see "Godzilla Minus One" later today, I thought I'd re-visit the original. This might be my first time seeing the original version "Gojira", rather than the dubbed version with Raymond Burr inserted that America is generally familiar with. As a monster-loving kid, I imagine I watched "Godzilla" every time it turned up in a local TV channel's movie package, if only to watch Godzilla tear through the electrical wires, which was my favorite sequence. Watching this version, I'm surprised at how little Godzilla is actually in it. It's more of a serious drama than you'd suspect, dealing through allegory with Japan's feelings about the atomic bomb and its aftermath. The video quality is as good as it can be, apparently, with a picture both dark and rich, yet at times riddled with scratches. The commentary claims that much of this has always been part of the film.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-02-23 at 01:59 AM.
DeFan (12-02-23)
Old 12-02-23, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jules Decal Releasing DVD
Ben Kingsley. Directed by Marc Turtletaub. 2023
Milton lives a quiet life of routine in a small western Pennsylvania town, but finds his day upended when a UFO and its extra-terrestrial passenger crash land in his backyard.

A small eccentric feature that provides some smiles and some touching moments. It depends on expert performances from Kingsley, Harriet Sansom Harris and Jane Curtin and a very convincing look at living alone and growing old (trust me on that!). There's every opportunity to be cute, or cartoonish, or over-the-top and it generally manages to avoid it.
Old 12-02-23, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney +

After months of prolonging I finally watched it and it is just as crappy as I thought it would be.

Dam it is really long.

How much did they pay Javier Bardem to be in this crap?
Old 12-02-23, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 589 Posts

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant - pretty good action drama starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a US soldier in Afghanistan. He and his local interpreter get into some tough situations with the Taliban. Jonny Lee Miller and Antony Starr have minor roles.

andicus (12-03-23)
Old 12-02-23, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,116 Likes on 878 Posts

The Big Lebowski- not a lot to say. Just one of my favorite movies. Iíve been watching it at least once yearly for a while now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
Goonies85 (12-06-23), Toby Dramit (12-03-23)
Old 12-03-23, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Godzilla Minus One
Directed by Takashi Yamazaki. 2023
Post World War II Japan is at its lowest point when a new crisis emerges in the form of a giant monster, baptized in the horrific power of the atomic bomb. A failed Kamikaze pilot, struggling with the weight of his guilt, finds his fate and his future tied to that of the rampaging monster.

An excellent film. It's a true Godzilla film featuring a fearsome version of the classic monster and all the carnage you could ask for, but one with a substantive Human story. The characters are well-developed, with engaging performances all around. It's surprisingly heartfelt with some genuinely touching moments.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-03-23 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-03-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Barbarella (1968) — Got the new Arrow Video 4K release and decided to give this another watch. Still not great but lots of fun to watch and of course Jane Fonda was sexy as hell. Wouldn't mind seeing the novel getting another adaptation, I can see someone like Edgar Wright or David Cronenberg giving it a shot (perhaps with Ana de Armas in the lead). ***/***** (4K Ultra HD)
Toby Dramit (12-03-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.