Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 11-11-23, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

The Killer (2023) - Netflix

The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (12-06-23)
Old 11-11-23, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

The Killer Netflix
Michael Fassbender. Directed by David Fincher. 2023
After a fateful near-miss, an assassin battles his employers, and himself, on an international manhunt he insists isn't personal.

It's good to see David Fincher back, though I wish he was working on the big screen. I know it played in a few theaters, but here it was in two city "Art Houses" and I'm not leaving the 'burbs anymore.

That being said, like most Fincher films he keeps it chilly on the surface and the outward melodrama at a minimum. The first chapter "The Killer" (most major characters have no names) lists his credo in an extended interior monologue, while the ensuing chapters reveal how his character diverges and evolves as he goes upon a revenge mission. It's also good to see Fassbender in a major role again and he does a nice job at playing "nondescript" (as much as he can) as well as revealing the emotions under his cool exterior.

It's certainly nothing new, but it is stylish, and would be well-paired with Michael Mann's "Collateral".
Old 11-11-23, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Meg 2: The Trench (2023) — Pretty tough sitting through this one, especially the first half where a good portion was so dark, maybe to hide the bad visual effects, I couldn't even tell what was going on. There were a few moments of the camp that made the first one at least entertaining, but not enough to keep me engaged. On the plus side, Jason Statham was alright for what he's given, otherwise this just was a waste of time. **/***** (4K Ultra HD)
Old 11-11-23, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Witness Arrow 4K
Harrison Ford. Directed by Peter Weir. 1985
A young Amish boy, visiting Philadelphia with his widowed mother, witnesses a murder. When the detective on the case discovers a police cover up, he realizes his, the boy's and the mother's lives are in jeopardy. He hides out in Amish country, living amongst the community and having to abide by their peaceful customs. But soon the idyllic life is shattered when the villains discover his whereabouts.

I remember seeing "Witness" in the theater and enjoying it immensely. It's a real unabashed crowd-pleaser. The audience is generally one step ahead of the plot most of the time, but the film pretty much goes where the audience wants it to go. It works because Australian stylist Peter Weir brings his particular talents to it, eschewing a lot of the more turgid dialog and telling the story visually. It's a story that particularly suits Harrison Ford's strengths and its one of his better roles. The electronic score is an odd choice and is sometimes grating.

The picture quality of the 4K disc is pleasing, though the HDR applied makes the many "low-light" and "naturally lit" scenes play much darker than they have on previous blu-rays. Arrow's disc includes a wealth of behind-the-scenes features on the making of the film.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWilson:
andicus (11-12-23), Goonies85 (12-06-23)
Old 11-12-23, 12:14 AM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Gearing up for the release of Monarch on AppleTV+ this week, my 14yo and I watched Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island (2017) tonight. He like Kong more than Godzilla and I agreed.
Old 11-12-23, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

Friday the 13th: Part 3- I hadnít seen this one in a while. I started watching the franchise from the beginning over the summer but have only made it this far.

I kind of forgot how lackluster the third one is. Aside from the climax itís kind of a snoozer. Shelly has to be one of the more annoying characters.

The main thing that makes this one somewhat memorable is Jason gets his iconic look. Otherwise itís kind of a meh movie all around.
Old 11-12-23, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Friday the 13th: Part 3- I hadn’t seen this one in a while. I started watching the franchise from the beginning over the summer but have only made it this far.

I kind of forgot how lackluster the third one is. Aside from the climax it’s kind of a snoozer. Shelly has to be one of the more annoying characters.

The main thing that makes this one somewhat memorable is Jason gets his iconic look. Otherwise it’s kind of a meh movie all around.
I remember seeing Friday the 13th: Part 3 in the theater. The 3D was the only thing that made it interesting, and some of that 3D was pretty cringey. Watching it "flat" ever since has made those "pop-out" sequences pretty laughable, especially if you don't know why they're there.
Old 11-12-23, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
I remember seeing Friday the 13th: Part 3 in the theater. The 3D was the only thing that made it interesting, and some of that 3D was pretty cringey. Watching it "flat" ever since has made those "pop-out" sequences pretty laughable, especially if you don't know why they're there.
Yeah, the 3D effects are super cheesy. I canít imagine even in 3D that they would be much better and itís definitely the more gimmicky type 3D.

I thought it was better for some reason but again itís been a long time. Might watch The Final Chapter here soon.
Old 11-12-23, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A while back I bought the Shout! Friday the 13th set and re-watched everything. I've begun to better appreciate Part 6 "Jason Lives", which is where the franchise just decides to turn Jason into a supernatural monster.. That's the movie the director decided to make and he has fun with it. Part 7 is essentially "Jason vs Carrie", but for me it was the right movie on the right night and I'll always enjoy it for that. I remember watching "Jason Takes Manhattan" in the theater and feeling really cheated.

"Jason Goes to Hell" really surprised me. It goes in a completely different direction, something more like "The Hidden" or "Fallen", where Jason's evil spirit travels from host to host. A lot of fans hated the film for that, -for not adhering to the standard tropes, - but I was intrigued. Listening to the director in the supplements, I got what he was going for and it worked for me.

The first 20 minutes leading up to the title sequence of Marcus Nispel's 2009 Friday the 13th re-boot is sensational, but it's so good, so well-paced, that the rest of the movie was a huge let-down for me.
Old 11-12-23, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter- this one still holds up. Iíve thought for a long time itís the best of the franchise and it still might be.

I feel like Jason is at his best here. Heís in full on slasher mode and his look is defined. The cast is mostly pretty likable and the kills are good. Also Tommy is one of the best hero characters.
Old 11-12-23, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Hard Feelings- posted about it in the thread for the movie. Decent enough raunchy comedy.
Old 11-12-23, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Nun II (2023) — I guess a plus on this sequel is it is better than the first one. Not that says much as I didn't really care for it, as it was a sludge to sit through, especially the finale. Here, honestly I couldn't really understand what the heck was going on but I suppose some of the direction was interesting and it didn't feel like it dragged on. That said, it is empty on any emotional elements.

The only reason I even like "The Conjuring Universe" is because of Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, even the mediocre "The Devil Made Me Do It" was watchable because of them, all of these other entries have been mostly duds. **Ĺ/***** (4K Ultra HD)
Old 11-12-23, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Friday the 13th: Part 3- I hadnít seen this one in a while. I started watching the franchise from the beginning over the summer but have only made it this far.

I kind of forgot how lackluster the third one is. Aside from the climax itís kind of a snoozer. Shelly has to be one of the more annoying characters.

The main thing that makes this one somewhat memorable is Jason gets his iconic look. Otherwise itís kind of a meh movie all around.
He's easily one of the worst, obnoxious, characters in the entire franchise...
Old 11-12-23, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
He's easily one of the worst, obnoxious, characters in the entire franchise...
Yeah for sure. I remembered him from past viewings but I forgot just how annoying he is. The thing is heís really the only character who stands out at all because the rest of the cast is pretty bland.
Old 11-13-23, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Nun II (2023) ó I guess a plus on this sequel is it is better than the first one. Not that says much as I didn't really care for it, as it was a sludge to sit through, especially the finale. Here, honestly I couldn't really understand what the heck was going on but I suppose some of the direction was interesting and it didn't feel like it dragged on. That said, it is empty on any emotional elements.

The only reason I even like "The Conjuring Universe" is because of Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, even the mediocre "The Devil Made Me Do It" was watchable because of them, all of these other entries have been mostly duds. **Ĺ/***** (4K Ultra HD)
Wholeheartedly agree about Wilson and Farmiga, -they bring a warmth and connection with them that makes them seem more real. I've never watched "The Nun" movies all the way through, -do they make Taissa Farmiga ("Sister Irene") some distant relation of "Lorraine Warren" in "The Conjuring" series, since the actresses are sisters.
Old 11-13-23, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
Wholeheartedly agree about Wilson and Farmiga, -they bring a warmth and connection with them that makes them seem more real. I've never watched "The Nun" movies all the way through, -do they make Taissa Farmiga ("Sister Irene") some distant relation of "Lorraine Warren" in "The Conjuring" series, since the actresses are sisters.
Nope. Given the liberties they've taken with the Warrens, kind of surprised they haven't gone down that route. Course, Nun II was successful enough, who knows what they'll do with a third movie.
Old 11-13-23, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Haunter
Old 11-13-23, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hide In Plain Sight TCM
Directed by and starring James Caan.
In 1967 a blue-collar worker's ex-wife disappears with his two children into the Federal Witness Protection Program. He faces an uphill battle against The System in order to get his kids back.

This was the late, great James Caan's only try at directing, and he doesn't embarrass himself. The period details are quite convincing, and he gives his actors lots of room to build upon their characters with little bits of behavior. However, the viewer should be outraged for Caan's character and excited for this guy to get some justice, but the film is just too restrained to build up an emotional punch.
Old 11-14-23, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

"It is just another day in the small town of Hamlin until something disastrous happens. Suddenly, news breaks that a series of nuclear warheads has been dropped along the Eastern Seaboard and, more locally, in California. As people begin coping with the devastating aftermath of the attacks -- many suffer radiation poisoning -- the Wetherly family tries to survive. Led by mom Carol (Jane Alexander), the clan tries to support each other even as they take in other stranded survivors."

Maybe it was a defining movie of that time and I think the kids back then were close to my age but this was a boring movie though it had a young Kevin Costner and Rebecca De Mourney though they did not have big roles and I got to see how Jane Alexander looked like when she was younger.

Old 11-14-23, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It sucked and when
Spoiler:
it looked like the Stallone character was dead I felt ripped off since he was the only reason I wanted to watch this

Where was Arnold or was he killed in the earlier movies? I forgot.
Old 11-14-23, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it back in 1996 on HBO but liked it better after a second viewing and all the behind the scenes dirt that I did not know about since there was no internet in the early to mid 90's where you could keep up with all the rumors and gossip.

I had no idea FOX and ABC wanted Letterman.

Roebuck looked ridiculous with the makeup and hair playing Jay Leno.

Leno was not the bad guy and his manager was to blame
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (12-06-23)
Old 11-14-23, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

I needed a 90 minute movie since I had no time.
Old 11-14-23, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Eighteen years after fleeing Nazi Germany, Spanish film actress Macarena Granada becomes a major Hollywood star. She returns to Spain to play Isabella I of Castille, surrounded by showbiz hype."

This was boring
Old 11-14-23, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Nun II (2023) — I guess a plus on this sequel is it is better than the first one. Not that says much as I didn't really care for it, as it was a sludge to sit through, especially the finale. Here, honestly I couldn't really understand what the heck was going on but I suppose some of the direction was interesting and it didn't feel like it dragged on. That said, it is empty on any emotional elements.

Taissa Farmiga might be cute but she has none of the skills of Vera Farmiga her older sister and she needs acting lessons.
Old 11-14-23, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Taissa Farmiga might be cute but she has none of the skills of Vera Farmiga her older sister and she needs acting lessons.
Other than the two Nun movies, the only other one I remember her for was The Final Girls which I remember liking quite a bit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.