Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 08-08-23, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 08-08-23, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Starz

A B movie all the way though maybe if they just focused the story on Jai White, the kid, and his brother it could have been better.
Old 08-08-23, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
^ Okay, my biggest shock about this is that it sounds like this is the first time you've seen it. :O

Yes Cinemax did show it letterboxed and it is airing again this week if you want to catch it.

It is the 2003 remaster after watching the closing credits.

I know I sound like a bad cineophile but yes the first time I have seen the Good, Bad, and the Ugly.

I never got around to seeing the the Man with No Name movies since they would air on the local channels or TBS or some network that had commercials and I wanted to see them uncut and until this year they rarely ever aired on HBO and the premium channels.

I bought the blu-ray box set from Amazon after watching all 3 movies.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 08-10-23 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (08-08-23)
Old 08-09-23, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-10-23, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Bad Boys FreeVee
Sean Penn, Esai Morales. Directed by Rick Rosenthal. 1983
A young delinquent faces threats from his fellow inmates in a harsh juvenile prison.

It's been 40 years since I've seen this film, so I thought I'd give it another go. It still works as a brutal melodrama, though it pretty much doles out grit and plot contrivance in equal measure. Sean Penn gives a committed performance in what was probably his first lead, but he's not empathetic at all. It's very much a "young Steve McQueen" kind of role, and Penn just doesn't have the physicality or the charisma to pull it off. The score by composer Bill Conti ("Rocky" "The Karate Kid") tries its hardest to wring some emotion and pathos out of the film.
Old 08-10-23, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-10-23, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson

Bad Boys FreeVee
Sean Penn, Esai Morales. Directed by Rick Rosenthal. 1983
A young delinquent faces threats from his fellow inmates in a harsh juvenile prison.

It's been 40 years since I've seen this film, so I thought I'd give it another go. It still works as a brutal melodrama, though it pretty much doles out grit and plot contrivance in equal measure. Sean Penn gives a committed performance in what was probably his first lead, but he's not empathetic at all. It's very much a "young Steve McQueen" kind of role, and Penn just doesn't have the physicality or the charisma to pull it off. The score by composer Bill Conti ("Rocky" "The Karate Kid") tries its hardest to wring some emotion and pathos out of the film.

I own that on Blu-ray

That and not the Smith and Lawrence movies was the real "Bad Boys"

Clancy Brown in one of his earlier roles too
Old 08-10-23, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know it got trashed by the critics and Kutcher in a chicken costume was unnecessary and ridiculous but I did not think it was that bad.

Ashton boinks another women twice his age and must have been a fetish for him back then
Old 08-10-23, 10:42 PM

Received 800 Likes on 523 Posts

Watched Super 8 tonight. Loved this movie and it still holds up 12 years later. Saw it twice in the theater on the same day when it came out.

Still think that JJ’s creatures are all related: the Super 8 creature (Cooper), the one from Cloverfield (Clover), and his Star Trek film (Big Red). 🤣

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-10-23 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-11-23, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

A collection of funny, poignant, romantic and suspenseful stories that look at the ways in which we have adapted to a new pandemic world with Julianne Moore, Bill Camp, Chris Cooper, Griffin Dunne, Debra Winger, Rebecca Hall, Don Cheadle, Arliss Howard, Sanaa Lathan, Alessandro Nivola, and Emily Mortimer

Some of the stories were ok but it was really long at 3 hrs and 17 minutes
Old 08-11-23, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

65 (Netflix)
Old 08-11-23, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Body of Lies Warner Bros. Blu-Ray (also available on Max)
Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe. Directed by Ridley Scott. 2008
In this adaptation of a novel by David Ignatius, DiCaprio plays a CIA agent who wants the help of a more experienced agent (Crowe) in his investigation of a Jordanian terrorist.

A solid effort from Ridley Scott, on a par with his mid-level films like "House of Gucci" and "All the Money in The World". The performances are good, and Scott creates an effective level of tension with his usual top-notch cinematography. The most contrived storyline is DiCaprio's love interest, which proceeds along a very predictable path.
Old 08-11-23, 06:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Menace II Society…still a great one after all these years. They don’t make movies like this much anymore.
Old 08-11-23, 11:23 PM

Interstellar (2014)

This was my second or third viewing since I saw it in the theater. I’ve listened to the soundtrack so much though.

I forgot how many big named actors were in this film.

Loved it.
Old 08-12-23, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Arena Arrow Blu-Ray
Paul Satterfield, Claudia Christian. Directed by Peter Manoogian. 1989
A human becomes an unlikely rising star in the biggest fighting tournament in the galaxy that's dominated by alien species.

"Arena" is a low budget film from Empire Pictures that tries to look as big as it can, and it does have a "can-do" spirit. An archetypical, -and proud of it, -Boxing Movie that is played out in Space Fantasy terms, with a f-ton of alien make-ups and animatronic suits. That being said, it's entertaining while also being a bit cornball. "Arena" was filmed in the mid-Eighties, and the look and feel of the times can't help but bleed from its pores no matter the far future setting, and it gives the film a slightly kitschy quality. Arrow, of course, provides supplements that help you better appreciate the film.
Goldberg74 (08-12-23)
Old 08-12-23, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally
Old 08-12-23, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu
Old 08-12-23, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson

Arena Arrow Blu-Ray
Paul Satterfield, Claudia Christian. Directed by Peter Manoogian. 1989
A human becomes an unlikely rising star in the biggest fighting tournament in the galaxy that's dominated by alien species.

"Arena" is a low budget film from Empire Pictures that tries to look as big as it can, and it does have a "can-do" spirit. An archetypical, -and proud of it, -Boxing Movie that is played out in Space Fantasy terms, with a f-ton of alien make-ups and animatronic suits. That being said, it's entertaining while also being a bit cornball. "Arena" was filmed in the mid-Eighties, and the look and feel of the times can't help but bleed from its pores no matter the far future setting, and it gives the film a slightly kitschy quality. Arrow, of course, provides supplements that help you better appreciate the film.
LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!

We watched this to death as kids. The lady at the video store would let us keep this a day longer than usual when we’d rent it.

“Horn! Horn! Horn!”
Old 08-12-23, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Like the first volume I watched this past year, first time watching these movies.

Old 08-12-23, 10:41 PM

Watched Darren Aronofsky’s The Fountain (2006) tonight. Brilliant film with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-13-23 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-13-23, 12:09 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Interstellar
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (3D)
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (UR)
Old 08-13-23, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Theater Camp (2023)

Although I'm probably not the target demographic for this film, it was surprisingly enjoyable.

The cast was absolutely wonderful as was the finale.
Old 08-13-23, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-13-23, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts

The Thing (2011) - I saw this way back when, but didn't remember much about it and it's on Netflix so I gave it another go. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is the lead (a big reason I decided to rewatch) and I like her character, but overall this is mostly pointless. It's a prequel to the Carpenter film, but it doesn't add much new information to the story, aside from the few scenes at the alien ship. The rest of it just kind of recreated many of the same beats as the first movie, but it's not as interesting because a) we've seen it before in the first movie, and b) this movie doesn't effectively do much character-building so that you care about who is getting killed or being chased. And also c) it's not as well-directed and doesn't build the tension as high before the thing attacks. The special effects for the creatures are pretty good and there's plenty of gore, though the practical effects of the original sometimes feel more visceral. I doubt I'll ever watch this again.
Old 08-13-23, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
The Thing (2011) - I saw this way back when, but didn't remember much about it and it's on Netflix so I gave it another go. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is the lead (a big reason I decided to rewatch) and I like her character, but overall this is mostly pointless. It's a prequel to the Carpenter film, but it doesn't add much new information to the story, aside from the few scenes at the alien ship. The rest of it just kind of recreated many of the same beats as the first movie, but it's not as interesting because a) we've seen it before in the first movie, and b) this movie doesn't effectively do much character-building so that you care about who is getting killed or being chased. And also c) it's not as well-directed and doesn't build the tension as high before the thing attacks. The special effects for the creatures are pretty good and there's plenty of gore, though the practical effects of the original sometimes feel more visceral. I doubt I'll ever watch this again.
And, of course, the plan was to primarily do it with practical effects, but Production decided after-the-fact to enhance those effects with CGI, which kind of ruined it for me.
Cellar Door (08-13-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.