Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 07-27-23, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 759 Likes on 619 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

HBO on Demand

An aging widower (Brian Cox) seeks justice after the callous sons of a wealthy businessman (Tom Sizemore) kill his beloved dog.

I think anyone that owns a dog or a beloved pet might feel the same way if they were in the same situation.

I remember I saw this when the Magnolia movies debuted early on AXS TV

Brian Cox in one of his best performances and Sizemore in one of his better roles.

I wanted to punch that little twerp with the blonde hair.
Old 07-27-23, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Cave Of Bones (Netflix)
Old 07-27-23, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts

Old 07-27-23, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 346 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Collateral - I initially saw this Michael Mann movie when it was relatively new, but hadn't seen it since. I think I was kind of tired or distracted when I first saw it, because I didn't have a great opinion of it. On rewatching, I liked it a good bit. Cruise as a sort-of charming villain is great, and Foxx is good as the everyman-turned-hero. Also fun to see some actors who weren't as well known back then (Ruffalo, Bardem), plus a cameo from Jason Statham. And Macgyver's buddy is in it, too!
Great soundtrack, as well! Groove Armada ("Hands Of Time" - featured in the Songs You Like Or Love thread), Miles Davis ("Spanish Key"), Audioslave ("Shadow On The Sun"), and this gem here from The Roots ...

The following users liked this post:
Cellar Door (07-27-23)
Old 07-28-23, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

Set up on a prearranged date by their old-fashioned Indian parents, Rav (Karan Soni the guy from Deadpool moviesi and Rita ( Geraldine Viswanathan) seemingly have nothing in common. The unthinkable happens, and the two of them are forced to shelter in place during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Old 07-28-23, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MGM + on demand

It would be impossible to get Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, Liam Neeson, and Daniel Day Lewis to appear together in one movie today but you could do it back in 1984.

I wonder how this got a PG rating when there are almost endless scenes of topless island women.

Not a prude but that seemed weird
Old 07-28-23, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO on demand

A Chinese emigrant (Justin Chon) and his best friend (Kevin Wu) rise through the ranks of one of New York's most-powerful street gangs.

Liotta is in only a few scenes

I wonder why Scorsese put his name on this project?

Old 07-28-23, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

When Alex gives up on Earth and decides to leave it all behind for a one-way mission to Mars, an unexpected romance forces him to choose between an uncertain journey to the stars and an even more uncertain journey of the heart.

Not a big romcom or rom drama fan but this was not bad.
Old 07-29-23, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was crap and the animated movie obviously is much better.

The kid or actor who played Peter Pan looked dorky.

The only intrigue is to see Jude Law but he did it for the paycheck.
Old 07-29-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts

Freebie and the Bean TCM
Alan Arkin, James Caan. Directed by Richard Rush. 1974
Freebie and Bean are mismatched San Francisco cops who bird-dog a notorious mobster as if auditioning for a demolition derby, cutting loose with bullets and wisecracks all the way.

I remember dodging this one back in the day because of the reviews, though it was very popular and played as the second feature on double bills for years (this was before Home Video). This was a "Buddy Cop" movie long before that became a favorite sub-genre of the '80s. It's a Comedy of Antagonism and Carnage, with Caan and Arkin endlessly trading crude, hostile banter (that comes off as mostly improvised), and a never-ending onslaught of car chases and crashes and chaotic action scenes. One of the film's big faults is its inability to properly disguise Caan's double in long, featured stunts. Of course, being from the '70s, a lot of it is politically incorrect, including all manner of ethnic and sexual slurs, not to mention the casting of Alan Arkin as "Bean". It's certainly watchable and never boring, but the story is convoluted, and the relentless mean-spiritedness and slapstick mayhem gets to be a bit much.
Old 07-29-23, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 644 Posts

Knock at the Cabin - I enjoyed it, though, like many of Shyamalan's movies, style weighs heavily over substance.

M3GAN - not terribly original, but competently made and the robot girl is appropriately creepy.
Old 07-29-23, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Deja Vu- Jerry Bruckheimer and Tony Scott sci-fi action time travel thriller. As far as high-concepts go, the film's central idea is pretty good, and a better speculative fiction writer would probably run wild it. Scott, of course, isn't an artist interested in any such things-he's a flash-and-trash style director who's only interested in how he can bombard the audience with special effects and action. But he does that well. The actors are mostly just scenery for the film's many images that are all employed in the terror that maybe the audience might get bored, constantly shifting POVs, plot twists, and shifting camera work. Denzel Washington stands out in another good Everyman action hero role. Apparently Scott apologized for rewriting the screenwriters' more cerebral screenplay. What's perhaps most interesting is to compare it to other lower-budgeted time travel flicks like Primer, Richard Kelly's brilliant Donnie Darko, Looper, Twelve Monkeys, and others, which attempt to dazzle the audience with their complex plot mechanics. Scott has such a huge budget, he doesn't even need to do that, he can dazzle with special effects and action, in the James Cameron, Michael Bay blockbuster mold, but he's less vulgar than Bay, and at least he's unpretentious.
Just watched this and agree.

One moment, I'm on edge from the scene's tension. The next moment, I'm laughing and rolling my eyes at script absurdities.

Old 07-29-23, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 644 Posts

No One Lives - a small town criminal gang targets the wrong traveler (Luke Evans). Plenty of violence and gore.
Old 07-29-23, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 288 Likes on 239 Posts

Resident Evil: Death Island - Xfinity on Demand $1 rental.
Old 07-30-23, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 07-30-23, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Pack TCM
Joe Don Baker. Directed by Robert Clouse. 1977
A rustic vacation island is beset by a pack of vicious killer dogs.

This is an efficient and effective "B" movie. The characters have just enough dimension to sell the story and the situations are just believable enough to keep you involved. The dog attack scenes really work.
Old 07-30-23, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Justice League: Warworld Warner Bros. Blu-Ray
Animated. Rated R for Violence
Until now, DC's Justice League has been a loose association of super-powered individuals. But when they are swept away to Warworld, a place of unending brutal gladiatorial combat, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and the others must somehow unite to form an unbeatable resistance able to lead an entire planet to freedom.

"Warworld" opens "cold" with no back-story. It just begins with Wonder Woman fighting Jonah Hex in a Spaghetti Western homage. It then segues into a scenario where Bruce Wayne encounters Travis Morgan ("Warlord") and then becomes a black-and-white story of Clark Kent encountering UFOs in The Fifties. It's technically satisfactory but the story is so basic and cliched that it's uninvolving. I enjoyed seeing Mike Grell's "Warlord" finally getting some attention, but the story is so limited that it doesn't do anything more than give the character a nod.
Old 07-30-23, 07:51 AM

Glass
Old 07-30-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oppenheimer
It's a long film, -and unlike "Dead Reckoning" or "Wick 4", -it felt long to me. The woman sitting next to me, -a stranger, -snored softly through quite a bit of it. It certainly didn't help that it was a later show, that ran until 1am. I had to take some caffeine to perk myself up for the last hour, -I'm just an old man, after all. While I think the film is perhaps "over-stuffed" for one viewing, it's an excellent and challenging film and I'm sure I'll gain more from it in a second viewing down the road. Cillian Murphy is tremendous, but I also enjoyed seeing Robert Downey Jr immersed in a role that wasn't pretty much built around Downey's personality
Old 07-30-23, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

It looks like a B movie with Ryan Phillipe but it was not bad and Tom Pelpherey killed it as the lead though he was not a really likeable character except with his interactions with the kid.

I was pleasantly surprised how entertaining it was.
Old 07-30-23, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paramount +

It was ok for a Sat night

Suddenly have the urge to look at some Transformers figures but don't want to go into that rabbit hole.
Old 07-30-23, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Wrath of Becky Hoopla
Lulu Wilson, Sean William Scott. Directed by Matt Angel. 2023
Two years after she escaped a violent attack on her family, Becky attempts to rebuild her life in the care of an older woman. But when a group of men break into their home, Becky must return to her old ways to protect herself and her loved ones.

This is a sequel to 2020's "Becky", in which Lulu Wilson took "I Spit on Your Grave"-style vengeance on "King of Queens" star Kevin James (as a vicious neo-Nazi) and his henchmen after they killed her father. I enjoyed that film and this is a worthy follow-up. This time Becky's target is the radical extremists who killed her friend and stole her dog. It's purely a "B" movie, with a little tongue-in-cheek humor, a lot of over-the-top gore, and an occasional wink at fans of these type of films, but it gives the characters a little bit of dimension and some decent dialogue. That's what I like about the film, -it might be a "Revenge" film, but it shows some effort. The final scene is ridiculous, but it made me smile and promises a third film that could be stupid fun and I'll certainly be there for it.

Last edited by DWilson; 07-31-23 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-31-23, 08:34 AM

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One

Old 07-31-23, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Talk To Me (2023)

While it's a strong film visually, it's difficult to be scared when there isn't a single likeable character in the entire film.

It starts off well-enough but dissipates into a fairly formulaic cursed object Horror film, containing a few interesting ideas that don't lead anywhere.
Old 07-31-23, 04:43 PM

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Jack Reacher

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.