Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-24-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Last movie you watched

Yesterday i finally got round to seeing:

Jack Ryan - 3/5 (I like the Ryan movie, but this one was middle of the road. Not great, not terrible).
Enders Game - 4/5 (Much better than i anticipated and i think this will become at least a cult classic in the future)
Old 01-24-14, 02:37 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny Games (1997)-6/10

The film at first had a really entertaining pace going for it then it started breaking the fourth wall by then I just lost compete interest.

Captain Phillps (2013)-7.5/10

As always Tom Hanks does a great job in the thriller
Old 01-25-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Die Screaming Marianne - 2/5

After the death of her mother, a young woman stands to inherit a large sum of money and several important documents. The contents of these documents could put away her father who is a judge and other important people for life. The closer she gets to her 21st birthday the more in danger she is. Average thriller that does not have too many thrills.
Old 01-25-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No Country for Old Men - 5/5

While hunting, a former Vietnam veteran discovers the crime scene of a drug deal gone bad. From the scene he takes a briefcase with over two million dollars thus setting off a hunt for him by an unstoppable killer. At the same time both men are being pursued by a lawman who is close to retirement that feels he is out of his element in dealing with the new breed of criminals. An intense well acted and directed film that shows how greed and violence have become America's pastimes.
Old 01-25-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Virgin Machine - 1/5

A reporter tries to write about romance and discovers that the only way she can find it is by becoming a lesbian. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Old 01-25-14, 07:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 905 Likes on 765 Posts

Blue Jasmine...what a sublime movie with a sublime leading performance in Blanchett. just great. every manic moment, every deep breath. so good as was the rest of the cast. i was mesmerized...
Old 01-25-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chinatown - 5/5

In 1930's Los Angeles a woman hires a private investigator to follow her husband who she suspects of infidelity. When the husband turns up dead the investigator digs deeper only to find several shady characters involved in a bureaucratic conspiracy involving the distribution of water. One of the true classics of 1970's American cinema.
Old 01-27-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Double Life of Veronique - 4/5

Two women in two different countries born on the same day might be the same woman and at the same time are not even thought they can sense the others existence. A fascinating enigmatic film about fate and deja vu.
Old 01-28-14, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Awkward Moment - 4.5/5 - I loved it!
Old 01-30-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Captain Phillips- Tense, well-shot Paul Greengrass thriller about a tanker hijacked by Somali pirates. Occasionally repetitive and overlong, but very well-made and exciting. Greengrass obviously does sympathize with the pirates, though the film's structure does sort of necessitate they basically simply be "bad guys" and adheres to thriller structure. Another great performance from Tom Hanks.

Dr. No- The first James Bond film, a sci-fi type movie about a supervillain on a private island. Surprisingly modest given how bloated the franchise has become. Ken Adam's production design is a highlight.

From Russia With Love- Second Bond film, this one very much in the mold of the Hitchcock thrillers popular in the period. Sleek and classy, and again in contrast to the overblown later installments. Some nice atmosphere and tense sequences, still no as effects-heavy as it would become later.

Goldfinger- Iconic third Bond film, the point where they set the formula in stone. Rather dated action compared to the rapid-fire of cutting of today, and politically incorrect as hell-Bond basically rapes a lesbian named Pussy Galore in to heterosexuality and onto the side of the good guys-but a hugely iconic cultural touchstone.

Thunderball- Fourth Bond flick, this one an obvious beginning of the kind of bloated blockbusters of today and which were to come later in the franchise. Overlong, somewhat dated, and hugely reliant on special effects and tons of action scenes shot by different units. Still has a certain classiness thanks to Young's direction.

Rush- Exhilarating sport drama from director Ron Howard with great performances and exciting race sequences. The story of a rivalry between two drivers against the backdrop of 1970s period detail, perhaps it isn't quite as deep as it could be in dealing with the psychology of the drivers and especially the culture, but the film wisely knows this and Howard's sleek direction allows him to make a Hollywood film done right. Shot digitally by the great Anthony Dod Mantle, is there any other DOP with three separate cinematography societies after his name? I've never seen one.

Battleship Potemkin- Somewhat politically dubious communist propaganda film which is nonetheless hugely influential. The action sequences still pack a surprising punch and the editing techniques used at the time were hugely innovative and still quite effective. Propaganda, yes, but propaganda in the service of art.

Man of Tai Chi- Directorial debut of Keanu Reeves about a martial artist who gets involved with underground fighting. Hardly groundbreaking, overlong, and has some rather unnecessary subplots, but the great Yuen Wo Ping's super action direction and fight choreography seldom disappoint, the digital cinematography gives a nice sense of neon Hong Kong atmosphere, and Reeves wisely bring a veteran Chinese editor to give the action sequences the proper flow.
Old 01-30-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Taxi Driver

Had forgotten how great of a movie this was, and how stupidly good DeNiro is in this movie.
Old 01-30-14, 12:41 PM

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa...sucked.
Old 01-30-14, 03:56 PM
M&J

Dallas Buyers Club 5/5
Old 01-30-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Philomena
Old 01-30-14, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Psycho - 5/5

In order to settle down with her lover a woman steals some money from her job and decides to skip town. On her way to meet her lover the weather turns bad so she decides to spend the night at a motel which is run by the mysterious Norman Bates and his mother. An Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece and of the greatest psychological thrillers ever made.

Last edited by inri222; 01-30-14 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-02-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Captain Phillips considering the outcome is known, they did a great job of building suspense. Haven't looked it up yet but considering these ships are often hijacked by relatively small groups of pirates, not sure why they don't have armed security on board. It seems it would have to be cheaper than getting hijacked? 4.5/5

Enough Said Cute movie, poignant given it was Gandolfini's last performance. Good but not great. 3.5/5
Old 02-02-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

How I Live Now - pretty good war film disguised as a love story involving young people and the horrors of war. It's like A Very Long Engagement minus the fantasy element.

1 The Movie - Start your engines! A badass Formula One documentary that chronicles the evolution of the sport from the 50's all the way to the 70's narrated by Michael Fassbender. Great footage and interviews with those that survived to tell the tales. I fucking love Formula One!

Rush - The film that peaked my interest in the sport and made it on my Top-3 list of best films of 2013. The James Hunt/Niki Lauda rivalry directed by Ron Howard is a very entertaining and fast paced romp look at competition and the dangers of the sport. When Ron Howard gets it right he REALLY gets it right. Daniel Bruehl deserves an Oscar.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-02-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 10:57 AM

Primal Fear...sublime performances. keeps you guessing till the end.
Old 02-02-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Santa Sangre - 4.5/5

Master surrealist Alejandro Jodorowsky's film about a circus run by an American knife thrower, his acrobat Mexican wife and their magician son. After witnessing a crime of passion the son is forever scarred and institutionalized until one day he sees his mother from a window and escapes. A very original and unforgettable film that feels like Psycho remade by a combination of Dario Argento, Federico Fellini & Luis Bu˝uel.
Old 02-02-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

^Love that movie.

Doctor Dolittle (60's version)

I've seen Satantango,1900 (Director's Cut) and Greed (Re-construction). But none of those movies felt as LONG as this one did.
Old 02-03-14, 09:53 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Labor Day

I wish this movie had it's own thread so that I could expound on how shitty it is. I don't want to honor it's existence enough to create one on my own. Avoid.
Old 02-03-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Forbidden Planet- Sometimes dated and cheesy but extremely influential 1956 sci-fi film. Despite some hammy acting and dialogue and stiff performances, the actual storyline, which is based on Shakespeare's The Tempest is quite good, and a few of the FX shots have aged surprisingly well. There's an interesting kinky Freudian undertone, which tough not fully explored, is a fascinating subtext. For a longtime Trekkie such as I, it's interesting to see what influence it had on Roddenberry's original series too. Dated somewhat, but a very important movie all the same, and aspects of it have held up quite well.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-06-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 10:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa...sucked.
I actually quite enjoyed it. so sue me
Old 02-03-14, 10:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
How I Live Now - pretty good war film disguised as a love story involving young people and the horrors of war. It's like A Very Long Engagement minus the fantasy element.

1 The Movie - Start your engines! A badass Formula One documentary that chronicles the evolution of the sport from the 50's all the way to the 70's narrated by Michael Fassbender. Great footage and interviews with those that survived to tell the tales. I fucking love Formula One!

Rush - The film that peaked my interest in the sport and made it on my Top-3 list of best films of 2013. The James Hunt/Niki Lauda rivalry directed by Ron Howard is a very entertaining and fast paced romp look at competition and the dangers of the sport. When Ron Howard gets it right he REALLY gets it right. Daniel Bruehl deserves an Oscar
the cinematography SHOULD have received a nomination but wasn't ... I've got to rent/watch '1'
Old 02-03-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The LEGO Movie 3D (Premiere) - 5/5 - I loved it!
Ride Along - 3/5 - Not bad.

Tomorrow
300 3D Fan Event or Vampire Academy (Premiere)

Last edited by iNCREDiPiNOY; 02-04-14 at 12:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.