Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-02-23, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,057 Likes on 744 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-02-23, 11:46 PM

Received 821 Likes on 536 Posts

Watched Knives Out with my son and his wife so that we can watch Glass Onion tomorrow.
Old 01-03-23, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Air Force One - Was on TV so decided to watch this for probably the fifth or sixth time (first saw it in theatres when it was originally released). Still a pretty solid movie, albeit some iffy CGI towards the end, and some sorta-expected logic issues; nevertheless, it's a pretty thrilling movie, mostly due to the acting from Harrison Ford (I can't imagine any other actor being better in that role; Ford just looks presidential, FFS) and Gary Oldman, who seems to relish his role. And the supporting cast is pretty great, too. Glenn Close is awesome. Xander Berkeley is pretty damn good, as usual. The concept itself sounds kind of like a no-brainer ("Die Hard" on Air Force One), but it must have been difficult to write this and make it at least seem somewhat plausible, so props to the writer(s). And Wolfgang Peterson does a great job directing.

Con Air - Another enormously fun re-watch. One of my favourite Nicolas Cage movies, I was the perfect age when he turned into an action star and made this, The Rock, and Face/Off all within the same two-year (or so) span. I remember seeing all of them in theatres (The Rock was actually at the drive-in movie theatre, but I can't remember what it was paired with). Sooooo many great actors in this. The dialogue is corny, the plot is kind of non-sensical, but dammit is this a fun movie. Special shout-outs go to Colm Meany (or whatever that Irish dude's name is from "Star Trek: The Next Generation), Danny Trejo, and, especially, Steve Buscemi. But the entire cast was great. It's just one of those movies where you shut your brain off and enjoy. Probably the only film that Simon West has ever done that I've actually enjoyed...

Shivers - Oh, man, sooooo many people were like, "Yeah, it's Cronenberg's first 'real feature film', but it's nothing compared to what he later did, so don't get your expectations up." Ummmm...uh-uh. I thought this was fantastic and one of his best (although, by that I mean it falls in his top ten...maybe top five...but the guy has made sooooo many great movies that it's difficult to tell). I loved this one. I thought the setting was unique. I thought the opening was great. I thought the actual filmmaking was pretty solid, given it's his first kind of official movie after those experimental films he did (Stereo and the original Crimes of the Future, along with some short films that are worth checking out). I thought Lynn Lowry was perfect for the role (also loved her in Romero's original The Crazies); she really is quite beautiful (even today, as seen in an interview with her in the Special Features), and it had Barbara Steele which was awesome. The story moved along pretty fast, and I was surprised at how effective the special effects were and how well they hold up. And I thought the ending was terrific. And, by the by, the Vestron Blu-Ray looks pretty damn good, all things considered, and the bonus features (most of which I've viewed, aside from the commentaries) are first-rate. If you're on the fence, I'd suggest picking this up. I wish I had done so sooner.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Amazon Prime rental

Abel Ferrara directed

I love Dafoe but this went completely over my head and had no idea what was it about or the true meaning of the film.

A lot of scenes with no dialogue which did not help me keep my attention.
Yeah, I love Ferrara, but I had no idea what was going on in this movie. Like, at one point Dafoe is...
Spoiler:
in a cave, making love to some grotesque woman/beast, if I remember correctly, and I was like, "WTF?"

...I'm kind of glad that Dafoe is still working with him (haven't seen movie Tommaso, but hope to at some point)...I think with a lot of Ferrara more recent work, you just kind of have to cross your fingers and hope that he strikes gold once more. But when he does miss, OMG does he miss hard...Like, I don't know if you've seen the movie he did with Ethan Hawke called Zeros and Ones, but my God was that ever bad...The only thing I enjoyed about that movie was that, as it was filmed in Rome during the height of the pandemic, the streets that they filmed on which would typically be packed with tourists were pretty much completely empty, which gave it an eerie feeling. But the story of that movie sucked, the limited CGI they used was atrocious, and the entire film was soooo overly dark (color-wise) it was really hard to make out what was happening on the screen a lot of the time...

That said, at least he's still churning out movies and hasn't retired yet, although sometimes I'm impressed he still finds financing for his films...Like, how did he pitch Siberia to someone?
JeffTheAlpaca (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought this from Amazon earlier in 2022

It was cool to watch a movie set in the snow and the cold on a rare rainy night in CA.

Maybe families would not feel comfortable with camel toe discussion and a pedo in the movie but it is rated "R" for a reason.

I forgot Michael Caine was in this and a young Nicolas Hoult played Cage's son.

Hope Davis was so hot in this movie.

I wish Cage would do more movies like this
I would highly recommend this movie to everyone, it's so good. I remember a buddy introduced it to me when it first came out on DVD and I was always kicking myself for not picking it up because it took FOREVER to come out on Blu-Ray. It's friggin' hilarious. And one of the most underrated parts about it? The score. The score is amazing...I can't recall what composer did it but once it gets in your head it really, really stays there. It's kind of sublime.

The movie has many uncomfortable scenes that are just hilarious to watch, especially the scenes between Cage and his father (played by Caine). And the crossbow stuff always makes me laugh...Just looking the cover of the Blu-Ray makes me smile...
JeffTheAlpaca (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 760 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Yeah, I love Ferrara, but I had no idea what was going on in this movie. Like, at one point Dafoe is...
Spoiler:
in a cave, making love to some grotesque woman/beast, if I remember correctly, and I was like, "WTF?"

...I'm kind of glad that Dafoe is still working with him (haven't seen movie Tommaso, but hope to at some point)...I think with a lot of Ferrara more recent work, you just kind of have to cross your fingers and hope that he strikes gold once more. But when he does miss, OMG does he miss hard...Like, I don't know if you've seen the movie he did with Ethan Hawke called Zeros and Ones, but my God was that ever bad...The only thing I enjoyed about that movie was that, as it was filmed in Rome during the height of the pandemic, the streets that they filmed on which would typically be packed with tourists were pretty much completely empty, which gave it an eerie feeling. But the story of that movie sucked, the limited CGI they used was atrocious, and the entire film was soooo overly dark (color-wise) it was really hard to make out what was happening on the screen a lot of the time...

That said, at least he's still churning out movies and hasn't retired yet, although sometimes I'm impressed he still finds financing for his films...Like, how did he pitch Siberia to someone?
I added zero ones to my Hulu que before I read this now I will not watch it

He is one of the few artists so maybe his credibility is built on his past work
Goonies85 (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I would highly recommend this movie to everyone, it's so good. I remember a buddy introduced it to me when it first came out on DVD and I was always kicking myself for not picking it up because it took FOREVER to come out on Blu-Ray. It's friggin' hilarious. And one of the most underrated parts about it? The score. The score is amazing...I can't recall what composer did it but once it gets in your head it really, really stays there. It's kind of sublime.

The movie has many uncomfortable scenes that are just hilarious to watch, especially the scenes between Cage and his father (played by Caine). And the crossbow stuff always makes me laugh...Just looking the cover of the Blu-Ray makes me smile...
I think Hanz Zimmer and James Levine did it.

Surprised Zimmer did the score

I wonder how many suits were ruined with fast food thrown at them?
Goonies85 (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HDNET Movies

A talented cast with Alan Arkin, Penelope Cruz, Robin Williams, and Susan Sarandon wasted
Old 01-03-23, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Star Trek The Motion Picture: Special Longer Version 4K.

I have always liked this movie and was very glad to see it get the upgrade 20 years ago and then the hi-def update last year.

But to have the SLV in a widescreen, high quality version was just glorious. Like many others, this was the version I had on VHS when I was younger and it felt so right to have all those missing scenes finally put back into place.

And the detail was fantastic: Persis Khambatta's bald head never looked so good!
Old 01-03-23, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

After Hours - I love this movie and really wish Scorsese would do something like it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vipper II:
Goonies85 (01-03-23), JeffTheAlpaca (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 06:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 959 Likes on 801 Posts

I wish it got a US Blu-ray release
I know. Itís too bad. I had to import this. Itís a crime to not get any release whatsoever. Doesnít make sense really.
JeffTheAlpaca (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 06:25 PM

The Woman King…thoroughly enjoyable and so well done. Surprised the shit out of me. Excellent performances. Viola Davis will absolutely be nominated. So good.
$9.99 on Vudu right now for uhd and some extras. Easy buy for me.
Old 01-03-23, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

U-Turn - I think I had actually heard good things about this Oliver Stone film and those "good things" turned out to be wholly inaccurate. Now he's done some bad movies, but this has to be one of his absolute worst (despite a solid cast, and a good performance from Nick Nolte, although the rest of the cast was either just kicking tires or flat-out bad). The first half-hour felt like a mixture of an Oliver Stone/Tim Burton film...with Billy Bob seemingly having a good time in a pretty shitty role. Then it kind of morphed into what I imagine Stone thinks a David Lynch film is like...only a really piss-poor version of a Lynch film (think INLAND EMPIRE). It kind of has a surreal quality, and maybe the plot worked as a book (John Ridley adapted his own novel, apparently), but it doesn't work as a movie. It tries to pack in a lot of supposed "plot twists" to appear clever, but it's actually pretty idiotic. The characters are stupid. The plot is stupid. This is Stone in his most hyper-kinetic editing phase (which I would say worked very well in JFK because it wasn't overdone...in Natural Born Killers, yeah, it was pretty crazy editing but it sorta/kinda worked...in Nixon it was garbage and way over-the-top)...This movie feels like Oliver Stone on acid...and it's not like it's a good "trip"...Glad I didn't have to pay for this, as it was On-Demand for free where I'm at...

Fall - I enjoyed this for what it is. It's not great, by any means. It doesn't quite live up to the sorta hype it has attained. One of the main plot twists is so common in horror/thriller movies like this that you can see it coming a mile away (I remember checking my watch/phone and it was like 10 minutes into the movie and I was like, "Okay, so surely this is going to happen later..."). The second twist is a little clever (although not much) as so long as you're paying attention, you can kind of see it coming. The main reason I felt the movie was pretty decent was that the CGI was surprisingly decent, and you really do feel like the characters are that high up. And, if you're like me and have a fear of heights, that raises the tension level. I still think the characters are colossally stupid, and the basic plot seems pretty far-fetched, but whatever. I enjoyed it more than other supposed high-concept movies like 47 Meters Down and The Shallows...But whatever, the dude who made it did a pretty solid job all things considered. I think he originally intended for it to be a short film but he found a way to expand it into a feature, so props to him...
Old 01-03-23, 07:01 PM

^ I thought U-Turn was widely panned when it came out.
Goonies85 (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
^ I thought U-Turn was widely panned when it came out.
You're probably correct and if so, those critics were right. I think most of what I'm basing it on is reviews of it when it came out on DVD and some books I've read that kind of cite it as one of Stone's more "underrated" works...I felt like a lot of them went out of their way to say "Well, it's not that bad"...that sort of thing...But his films are always pretty divisive, so I don't know...

But, yeah, I'll take your word for it...I was pretty young when it came out in theatres so I'm not sure of the reviews at the time...
Old 01-03-23, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also watched these two last week...

X - I enjoyed this Ti West movie. I love the way he shoots movies, for the most part (The House of the Devil was crazy good, at least the opening and the first hour or so...and The Sacrament was an insanely good take on the whole Jonestown thing), and Mia Goth was a revelation. I just honestly liked this movie...

Pearl - Not really sure if this works as a prequel as the timeline seems a bit off, but Mia Goth was also amazing in this, and I liked the way it was filmed. Kinda felt "whimsical", if that's the right word. It kind of bored me around the halfway part but the ending was pretty insane and gory and weird...I thought it was good. Not great, but good enough. And I heard he's making a third movie in this film universe of his, which is fine with me.
Old 01-03-23, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I added zero ones to my Hulu que before I read this now I will not watch it

He is one of the few artists so maybe his credibility is built on his past work
I think his last "good" movie was probably Welcome to New York, which was pretty dark but hilarious at the same time. It was loosely based on the whole DSK scandal. I'll still never get the image of an obese, naked Gerard Depardieu out of my mind, but hey, that's life...

And I can't remember what Blu-Ray it was, but one of his movies included the documentary Mulberry St., which was pretty great. I remember he just filmed around that neighbourhood and there were a lot of great actors just sitting in cafes and talking, like Matthew Modine, I believe...

Last edited by Goonies85; 01-04-23 at 08:02 PM.
JeffTheAlpaca (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starz

I watched it so you don't have to
Old 01-03-23, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts

Goddess Anya, enough said.
HBO MAX

Old 01-03-23, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Netflix

Aubrey
The following 2 users liked this post by gerrythedon:
Goonies85 (12-06-23), JeffTheAlpaca (01-04-23)
Old 01-03-23, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Florence

Old 01-04-23, 12:31 AM

Received 821 Likes on 536 Posts

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Old 01-04-23, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dead Man Walking - Surprisingly tough movie to watch. I always thought this movie would be a little "preachy" so I avoided it. It still is a little preachy, but it is very effective. And I had no idea that Tim Robbins directed this (I know he is married to Susan Sarandon, and I think they make one of the greatest couples) and he did a really great job. Sean Penn is really good in this, but this is really the Susan Sarandon show. She steals the picture. Really, really difficult to watch. And the movie shifts and changes and you think you know where it's going but you really don't. It's a depressing movie. I may be glad I finally watched it, but it's not something I'd watch again. I give Robbins, Penn, and Sarandon a lot of credit for making it...but, man...it's like a punch in the gut. Just a solid film. Lot's of great supporting cast, too. Like, I couldn't believe it, but Jack Black and Peter Sarsgaard (I'm probably spelling that wrong) have small roles in this!?? Like, I didn't even know they were involved in movie-making at the time of this picture. But, yeah, good picture. Sad picture.
Old 01-04-23, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Starz

I watched it so you don't have to
Ha, I read the synopsis, and I think you did everyone a favour in telling them not to watch this. Good call.
JeffTheAlpaca (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Top Gun: Maverick

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.