Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-22, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Mild Spoilers

Black Adam (2022)
— Okay movie that suffers from similar issues to other DC movies, in that it wants takes shortcuts with character development and, in the case of one character, their sacrifice feels hollow as we barely get to know them. In addition, the fight scenes, being rendered either against a green screen or via CGI, lacks any punch and thus suspense. On the plus side, I guess Dwayne Johnson was decent and as a whole it's a watchable superhero action-thriller but I doubt I'd ever revisit, and the little kernels of the now defunct DECU feel pointless, including the mid-credit cameo. ***/***** (4K Ultra HD)

Last edited by TheMovieman; 12-25-22 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-25-22, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Doll Squad (1973) — Pretty boring action-thriller that has a few fun good-bad moments but as a whole I was disengaged with the whole thing. Only thing that had me interested was finding out this possibly was the inspiration behind Charlie's Angels. Not one I'll ever revisit. **/***** (Blu-ray)
Old 12-25-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Arsenic and Old Lace Criterion

Starring Cary Grant and Directed by Frank Capra.
A “Spooky” farce in which a mild-mannered theater critic discovers his beloved old aunts are euthanizing lonely old men and burying them in the basement.

This is one of those old classics that plays on TCM a fair bit, and yet I’d never seen it. However, I fondly remember a late ‘60s Tv version with Bob Crane and Fred Gwynne. Now I’ve seen it and I’ve got to say …I found it pretty terrible. The main problem is an awful performance by Cary Grant filled with over-the-top mugging (which I’m sure was encouraged by Capra). The picture quality is terrific, though. One of the rare Criterions with barely any supplements.

Bodies, Bodies, Bodies A24 Blu-Ray
When a group of rich 20-somethings plan a hurricane party at a remote family mansion, a party game turns deadly in this fresh and funny look at backstabbing, fake friends, and one party gone very, very wrong.

I hate to be “that guy”, but this is one of those times where I found the characters so obnoxious that I turned off the film half-way through, not even fast-forwarding to find out “whodunnit”. What is it about Pete Davidson that every time I see him I want to punch him in the mouth?

The Invitation Sony Blu-ray (Unrated)
A young woman is courted and swept off her feet, only to realize a gothic conspiracy is afoot.

Essentially a gory Horror movie that was foolishly released to theaters in a neutered PG-13 version. It’s not a terrible film, really, but since the big “secret” of the plot was revealed in the trailer, you have to wait an hour to get to the part you’re waiting for. There are a few clever touches in the script but the most interesting thing to me, -considering the plot, - was the lead actor’s resemblance to a young Udo Keir. The picture quality is the typical teal on top of teal with a little orange thrown in.
Old 12-25-22, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 12-25-22, 09:13 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Spirited (2022) had no right to be that good, but it was great!

I didn’t know the world needed a Christmas movie/musical starting Will Farrell and Ryan Reynolds… but we did.
Old 12-25-22, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

It was better than what I expected

HBO Max

If you don't compare it to the original I think you can enjoy it and nice to revisit the characters again though I wished Melinda Dillon returned as the mom.

I wish this and Spirited got a home video release
Old 12-25-22, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney +

Obviously the original was the best but this was not as bad as everybody says it was but not great either.

It would be nice if it got a home video release.

Disney does have to stop recreating live action remakes of their classic animated movies.

They don't need to do it since they ruined cinema with all the comic book movies that dominate the box office.

Old 12-25-22, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sworn to Justice (1996) — Entertaining enough martial arts actioner with the wonderful Cynthia Rothrock showing off her skills... and other assets. Nothing amazing but the fight scenes were decent and it never felt dull. ***¼/***** (Blu-ray)
Old 12-25-22, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Vice Squad - Shout Factory Blu Ray. I purchased this during Shouts Shocktober sale a couple months back because I have always wanted to see this infamous film based on clips I saw during the Terror in the Aisles film. Of all days, I picked Christmas to watch, lol.

Still, a great film that is as grimy and nasty as can be.Wings Hauser is an all time scary as fack psycho in this movie. You will never look at metal clothes hangers the same way after seeing this film.
Old 12-26-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead North (1991) — Has some fun good-bad moments but the last hour or so once in the woods was an absolute bore (and chore to sit through). ½*/**** (Blu-ray)
Old 12-26-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Straight Edge Kegger (2019)

One of the worst Horror films I've seen this year.

Straight Edge kids haven't acted this way since the late 90s.
Old 12-26-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Sputnik - Blu Ray. A blind buy during the Shout sale in October because I heard good things about this film on this site and it turned out to be a fun watch. Recommended.
Old 12-26-22, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was late to this since I did not have the best streaming setup in 2018.

Did not have high expectations but this was pretty entertaining and funnier than I expected.

I saw parts of the trailer for part 2 which does not look that good.
Old 12-26-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO Max

Ok it is not the greatest murder mystery captured on film if you are into that genre but Rockwell and Ronan were hilarious.

Saoirse was so hot in that police uniform.

Old 12-26-22, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

K-Movie - 6/45
“6/45” tells the comic story of South Korean and North Korean soldiers meeting up secretly when the wind blows a first prize lottery ticket past Korea’s military demarcation line and into North Korea. Lottery ticket is worth 5.7 billion won (6 Million USD).

Old 12-26-22, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

Encanto. This is my favorite Disney animated movie in a long, long time.
Old 12-27-22, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon Prime

I am a big Stephen Dorff fan but this was ok and could have been better.
Old 12-27-22, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Epix

Cool score by Tangerine Dream and maybe their sound was emulated by Jan Hammer in Miami Vice?

The nighttime cinematography was great.

Sucks Robert Prosky who was the best thing in the film and Dennis Farina are gone
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (12-06-23)
Old 12-27-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

5-25-77 Showtime
Starring John Francis Daley. Directed by Patrick Read Johnson
Alienated film-maker hopeful Pat Johnson's epic story of growing up in rural Illinois, falling in love and becoming the first fan of the movie that changed everything.

This is listed as a 2022 film but the bulk of it was shot around 2007 (Alienated teen Daley is now in his late Thirties). Apparently, it was shown at fan conventions and the director tinkered with and re-edited it for years. Unfortunately, I think the director was too close to the material to best serve it. While it's clearly autobiographical and heartfelt, it really needed to be a more focused 90 minutes rather than a rambling 132. It's just too much and the focus on his love-life is too complicated for such a slight story. Additionally, the longer you spend with Daley's character the less likeable he becomes. I was probably just as creepy at that age and I was getting annoyed with him.

Alienated film-maker hopeful Alienated film-maker hopeful Pat Johnson's epic story of growing up in rural Illinois, falling in love and becoming the first fan of the movie that changed everything.Pat Johnson's epic story of growing up in rural Illinois, falling in love and becoming the first fan of the movie that changed everything.
Alienated film-maker hopeful Pat Johnson's epic story of growing up in rural Illinois, falling in love and becoming the first fan of the movie that changed everything.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-27-22 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-27-22, 07:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Top Gun: Maverick…fourth time and I’m still finding things I missed. Great fucking movie. Surprised the shit out of me and a lot people.
Old 12-27-22, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO

A good cast but the movie was nothing special though I don't find Sevigny that attractive but she does have a nice naked body and Stewart also showed her tits.
Old 12-27-22, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Love this film.

It was great re-visiting it in 4K.
watched yesterday
Old 12-28-22, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I watched this last night on Paramount + even though I own the BD. I don't know where the BD is at the moment. But, I had not seen this in over 10 years. Got a lot of laughs watching it and I think it holds up pretty well considering it's over 30 years old. There's a lot of LOL moments and it has a lot of heart.

Did anyone pick up the new 4K disc? I read there is almost 90 minutes of deleted and extended scenes that were never seen before, but apparently the transfer sucks.

Old 12-28-22, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

^ They must have shown this on the CTV Comedy channel about 30 times this month. Not my favorite John Candy movie but it's still funny.
Old 12-28-22, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Starlet - Not sure but I believe this was Sean Baker's first full-length feature. And? It is amazing. Transcendent. The ending just knocks you on your ass and shows how much you can do with so little. Like, all I'll say is that there's a little revelation at the end that makes you go: "Wow." This movie...I can't believe I kept it in my shopping cart so long before purchasing. I thought it was pricey at $35 CA, but dammit was it worth it. It's one of the best movies I've seen in the past...I don't know...ten years, or so. I didn't say "the best," but "one of the best." Dree Hemingway (I believe daughter of Mariel) was incredible. And James Ransone (who I've always liked, especially the stuff he did in "The Wire: Season Two") is great. Yes, this movie does feature some hardcore footage, but it's handled as tastily as that sort of thing can be handled...and I'm not sure you could cut it. It's really just a tremendous movie and it's like, okay, I admired parts of Tangerine, but I felt that movie got way too much hype because of the way it was shot (blah blah blah "shot on an iPhone" blah blah blah...he bought a lot of other equipment and he did NOT just pick up his iPhone and shoot a movie...it's more complicated than that)...but I really, really liked The Florida Project. That movie was incredible, especially Willem Dafoe but first and foremost for that incredible ending. And I absolutely positively loved Red Rocket. That movie was incredible. But this one? I feel this is Sean Baker's best work, and I'm really pumped to check out the copious amount of special features, particularly the commentary track. But I'll save that for later on tonight. I'm currently watching the World Juniors and Canada is beating Germany (which really isn't all that unexpected, but you never know in these tournaments)...

Copshop - I guess it's nice to know Joe Carnahan is still making movies. He blew a lot of people away (including myself) with Narc, but he never really lived up to the hype that that movie brought. I mean, Smokin' Aces was...okay, I guess (I'm being generous; I won some radio contest and got to see that several weeks before it's release and was profoundly disappointed...I feel it's better now, and it's packed with good actors, but overall it's not a very good movie), and The A-Team was way better than I expected (but still not a very good movie)...The best thing he did since Narc was Stretch, which I think is enormously underrated and is hilarious (Patrick Wilson is sooooo good in that flick)...This one has some twists and turns that you kind of see coming, but oh well. The standout in the cast is the dude that played "The Wiz" in that famous "Seinfeld" episode...That dude is solid...

Last edited by Goonies85; 12-28-22 at 07:06 PM. Reason: grammar

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.