Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 09-06-21, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; Secret of the Ooze
Old 09-07-21, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 788 Likes on 640 Posts

If only this was done in the 70's and was a Scorsese production it would have been a lot better.

Mediocre all around and Kietel should have passed on this.

Staring AnnaSophia Robb and Minka Kelly might have been the only highlights.

3 out of 5 stars
Old 09-07-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

Surprisingly Frank Grillo does not play a douche in this movie but he was barely in it.

3 out of 5 stars

Old 09-07-21, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JANK
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; Secret of the Ooze
I have a soft spot for this movie. Saw it in the theatres when it first came out. Vanilla Ice's "Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go" always amuses me...As does the opening in the toy store or market or whatever, and Bebop and Rocksteady look hilarious but also kind of badass in this...Fun movie...
Old 09-08-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO

It was a nice diversion for a Tues night but not a Fri-Sun movie
Old 09-09-21, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

Only a hour and 14 minutes and based on a short play

I admire the effort thought it was kind of slow
Old 09-09-21, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Oh, God! (1977) — Simple but sweet little theological comedy. The material and tone seemed to be something out of the 1960s than the mid 70s. George Burns was good and even John Denver was fine in the lead. Not sure I have a huge desire to re-watch, however. ***¼/*****
Old 09-10-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 213 Posts

Blood on Satan's Claw Tubi TV
Horror thriller set in 17th century England about the children of a village slowly converting into a coven of devil worshipers. 1971.

Considered one of the foundational "Folk Horror" films, it manages to be fairly creepy throughout. However, like a lot of films from that era, it crams an awful lot of action into the literal last five minutes of the film, and caps it with a freeze-frame; it's somewhat (but not entirely) effective, but also a bit of a cop-out.

The Brotherhood of Satan Arrow BD
A family is trapped in a desert town by a cult of senior-citizens who recruit the town's children to worship Satan.1971

I've always had a fondness for this one and I'm glad to see it get the "Arrow" treatment (good PQ, nice, appropriate supplements). I hadn't seen it in years and it's starts as a bit more of a "slow burn" than I remembered. It's a great showcase for veteran supporting actor Strother Martin, who usually plays skeevy Southerners, but here gets to exercise his inner Vincent Price in a florid turn. I didn't realize how much this film resembles the legendary "Manos, The Hands of Fate", -if it were done by competent filmmakers.
A family is trapped in a desert town by a cult of senior-citizens who recruit the town's children to worship Satan.
Old 09-10-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Showtime

Only a hour and 14 minutes and based on a short play

I admire the effort thought it was kind of slow
That is a terrible "poster".
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (09-11-21)
Old 09-10-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,556 Likes on 985 Posts

Man of Violence (also Moon, 1969). Action. An expert criminal named Moon is hired by both a corrupt businessman and a gangster to get the other one off their backs. As the man in the middle, he goes for the money instead. Lots of bare boobs, a great musical score, and nice locations in London and Tunisia. It's full of swinging sixties clothing and attitudes. It's a silly movie with a great sense of style.

It was on a list of movies with amoral heroes. It starts with the protagonist in his flat with a naked girl, and a few scenes later he picks up a man in a gay bar (!) for post-coital questioning. He steals the bus from a touring band as a disguise. He dumps The Girl without looking back. (YouTube)

Last edited by Nick Danger; 09-10-21 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-11-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Till Death (2021) — Simple but solid survival crime-thriller that Megan Fox does very well carrying (both acting and the physicality). There is some suspension of disbelief that she would be able to drag a 180 lb plus man for as much time as she does without being completely worn out once her adrenaline runs out, but this was all around entertaining. ***¾/*****
Old 09-11-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the first movie with Matt Damon better

A money grab for Jake Gyllenhaal and Julianne Moore?
Old 09-12-21, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 316 Posts

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

Really enjoyed this film.

The early action scenes felt the strongest (as well as the most coherent) and the humor felt fairly well-balanced.

Absolutely loved Tony Leung's performance and felt he stole almost every scene he was in.
Old 09-12-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gattaca Amazon 4K rental (had some expiring credits)
Directed by Andrew Niccol. 1997
A genetically inferior man assumes the identity of a superior one in order to pursue his lifelong dream of space travel.

An intelligent low-budget SF film that trades ideas for special effects. Good performances, but it's all a bit dry. It falls into that well-worn cliche that the well-to-do have a stick up their a-- and listen to Classical music, while the lower-class have genuine emotions. Michael Nyman's score does the film a lot of favors.

Jennifer's Body (Unrated) Amazon Prime
Written by Diablo Cody Directed by Karyn Kusama. 2009
A newly possessed high school cheerleader turns into a succubus who specializes in killing her male classmates. Can her best friend put an end to the horror?

As I recall this was sold as a fairly standard Horror film and it disappeared pretty quickly. In fact, it's a more of ""Heathers'-esque" Black Comedy with grisly scenes of carnage. It's not a bad film, -certainly entertaining, -but I can't help wondering if casting obviously older actors as high school students works against it.
Old 09-13-21, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Twins (1988) — Fun and all around enjoyable comedy that doesn't devolve into cheap humor (i.e. constant jokes about their height for instance) and instead two opposites working well off of one another. Schwarzenegger is great as sweet innocent and naïve while Devito as a schemer and crook still was likeable. ***¾/*****

I think I had seen this sometime back in the 90s but didn't remember much of it.
Old 09-13-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heist Amazon Prime
Gene Hackman. Written and Directed by David Mamet. 2001
A career jewel thief finds himself at tense odds with his longtime partner, a crime boss who sends his nephew to keep watch.

When I watched “The Score” a few weeks back, it made me think of “Heist”, a better film that’s not available on blu-ray. Luckily, it turned up a week or two later on Amazon Prime. The story features the usual clichés, - the thief who wants to do “one last job”, and the perfectly planned caper where something goes wrong, among other genre tropes – but it has a terrific cast spouting Mamet’s iconic dialogue.

Almost Famous 4K BD “Unititled” version (The Longer Cut”)
Written and Directed by Cameron Crowe
A high-school boy is given the chance to write a story for Rolling Stone Magazine about an up-and-coming rock band as he accompanies them on their concert tour.

I’ve had the three-disc DVD set and a year or so back bought the blu-ray (I held off because the word was the picture quality was below par), but I’d never watched the 40-minute longer edit until this 4K UHD. It definitely looks as good as it should. As for the movie itself, this version adds some nice scenes and moments, but it definitely felt “long” to me. Next time I’ll watch the Theatrical.
Old 09-16-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

F9: The Fast Saga (2021)

To some degree, with maybe the exception of Tokyo Drift and Fate of the Furious, I've enjoyed these Fast and Furious movies. Yes, they are dumb and have over-the-top action, CGI-generated, scenes yet despite that found them to be mindless entertainment with the only merit being the chemistry with the cast. However, with Fate of the Furious and the absence of Paul Walker, the series lost that aspect. Walker wasn't a great actor but he and Diesel were great together, along with the others in the ensemble where I could overlook the stupid moments.

This ninth entry, as most sequels do, takes it to the next level of absurdity but this time I really could not care less about anything going on. The action scenes were pretty lame and even though it was a joke taking the movie into space, I didn't think they'd actually do it... I could only shake my head at that sequence.

Then there's the whole bringing Han back to life. They have now retconned his scene for a second time and somehow, despite this being an outlandish franchise, cheapens any character development for Deckard Shaw (his entire reason for "killing" Han was out of revenge for putting his brother in a coma, although IIRC initially Owen Shaw was thought to have been killing in Fast Five).

They try to add some BS depth with faith and, of course, FAMILY, that doesn't land. Hell, there's even discussion from Roman (Tyrese) about being invincible played as a joke only to come true once he and Tej go into space to stop a satellite and actually f'ing survive.

The film also is a greatest hits with the return of characters from previous entries including Helen Mirren, Lucas Black, Kurt Russell, Charlize Theron, Shea Whigham (had to look him up, he was in Furious 6), Sung Kang, Shad Moss (aka Bow Wow), etc. Plus Jason Statham makes an uncredited cameo. New to the franchise is John Cena who was... fine, but really this material doesn't require much. He's not nearly as charming in comparison to The Suicide Squad and his smirking was just cringe. I'd be fine if his character remained on the run for the tenth film.

Boy, yeah the Fast franchise jumped the shark a while back but this one is on the bottom of the list. I don't know how they will right the ship with #10 (and supposedly the last) but the issue with these sequels is they have to top the previous no matter what.

Dumb is fine. Lazy not so much. **¼/*****
Old 09-18-21, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Hypnotic Eye TCM
A mysterious hypnotist is suspected by the police for being responsible for a wave of female mutilation victims. 1960.Excellent black-and-white picture quality. Fairly simple story with an easy-to-guess solution but so over-the-top that it has some kitschy "B Movie" entertainment value. The story is liberally padded with scenes of the French hypnotist delivering his routines straight to the camera as if they were attempting to hypnotize the audience. The hypnotist performs in a tuxedo and his act is strangely aggressive and hostile toward his audience. The movie also includes straight-to-the-camera shots of an illuminated flashing pinwheel (the "hypnotic eye" of the title) that would garner a "triggering" warning these days.

Nightmare Alley Criterion
The rise and fall of Stanton Carlisle, a mentalist whose lies and deceit prove to be his downfall. 1947

Guillermo DelToro’s upcoming remake made me check out the original, and now the Teaser Trailer makes sense to me (I imagine they’ll go for the darker ending that the original amended with an added scene) . Tyrone Power is excellent in the rare “Noir” film that doesn’t involve a Private Eye. It’s a dark and haunting film for those that can appreciate the classics. Criterion attaches the usual supply of appropriate supplements, including a revealing look at the Carnival trade and its history.

Old 09-18-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) — First time seeing this in probably close to 20 years, maybe longer. Forgot how excellent of a movie this was, amazing all around from the performances, Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins especially, with a roller coaster of emotions. The writing (from Stephen King's novel) direction from Frank Darabont was precise and just all around fantastic. This is the very rare 5 star movies I've given but it is easily one of the best movies, right up there in my book with The Godfather. *****/*****
Old 09-18-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Breakdown (1997) — Simple but really solid suspense-thriller with some good sequences especially the finale with great car stunts. Not much to the performances or characters, but Kurt Russell was, as usual, good in the lead and J.T. Walsh sinister as the primary villain. ***¾/*****
Old 09-18-21, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A History of Violence. Family man Tom Stall owns a cafe in small town America which is invaded by a pair of spree killers. He kills them both, making him the news sensation of the week. Some dangerous men hear about it, come to town to see him, and pressure his wife and children. As you can guess from the title, the movie considers how violence is part of humanity.

We enjoyed it, but I don't think it will have a lot of rewatch value now that the puzzles are explained.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 09-19-21 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-19-21, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

SAS: Red Notice (also known as SAS: Rise of the Black Swan) on Netflix
Old 09-19-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Candyman (2021)

Finally got a chance to see this in a theater today.

I enjoyed the overall film, even though there were pieces of it that wasn't fond of.

Loved the cinematography, score & set pieces as well as Yahya Abdul-Mateen II in the lead role (as Anthony McCoy).

Thought the film did solid work in extending the mythos of the first film.

I thought the film could have benefited from leaning heavier into Social Commentary rather than sprinkling it throughout, which made much of the dialogue feel odd & forced in that specific area.

Last edited by asianxcore; 09-20-21 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cat People (1982). What a waste of good actors. Co-starring Malcom McDowell, supported by John Larroquette, John Heard, Ed Begley Jr, Ruby Dee, and others, in an incoherent movie that fails to create atmosphere or tension. Star Natasha Kinski is gorgeous when she's naked, but that's all she contributes.

(At the climax of the movie, fire engines pulled up in front of our house. The next door neighbor had come home to find his house full of smoke. That was a lot more interesting than the movie. We made ourselves finish the movie an hour later.)
Old 09-19-21, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chungkung Express (1994)

I absolutely love how this film approaches the themes of loneliness, longing and (eventual) closure.

Each time I watch this film, I find myself unpacking something within it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.