Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 07-15-21, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

A Classic Horror Story Netflix (Italian Language with English Subtitles or English Dubbed)
Matilda Lutz ("Revenge") is a young woman facing an emotional decision, who carpools with five strangers through a remote section of Italy. The vehicle breaks down and they set off on foot, encountering a mysterious cabin in the woods.

Extremely gruesome film featuring some shocking visuals and graphic scenes of torture and dismemberment. However, a lot of very familiar tropes, as might be hinted at by the title. There's a lot of twisted Meta humor, particularly near the conclusion. It's not a bad film, per se, but not as clever as it thinks it is, nor as rewarding as it could be.
Old 07-15-21, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2021) — The latest entry into the Saw series has a couple okay moments but otherwise this was pretty bad. The acting was probably the worst culprit, chiefly Chris Rock who sprinkles in his comedic rants while Samuel L. Jackson phones it in, not that he's given a whole lot to work with (including a hilariously bad fake mustache for a flashback scene).
Spoiler:
It's also really predictable as I called who the killer was early on.

Not a big spoiler above but decided to hide it just in case.

I'm okay with taking the series in a different direction as there was nowhere else to go with Jigsaw (and they stretched his story out a few movies too many) but this was a misfire. **/*****
Old 07-15-21, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thief (1981) - saw it was leaving HBOmax and hadn’t seen it yet. What a great film, especially for a debut. Last of the Mohicans is probably my favorite Mann film, but this is up there with Heat in second place.
Old 07-15-21, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Showtime

Stephen Dorff did some excellent work in this and he should get more roles though the idea of fighting your son in a MMA match sounds ludicrous and maybe it could have worked as a drama without that big fight at the end.
Old 07-16-21, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Ride the Eagle with Jake Johnson, D'Arcy Carden, Susan Sarandon and JK Simmons (and a dog), that's basically the entire cast and it's definitely a pandemic-shot movie - remote, and really no two characters share much space with each other - Susan Sarandon appears entirely via VHS.

That said, I really enjoyed it. It's Johnson basically playing himself/Nick Miller in Yosemite with some beautiful scenery, and it thankfully never gets bogged down or starts taking itself too seriously. The synopsis is the lead character (Johnson)'s estranged hippie-ish mother (Sarandon) dies and leaves him a list of tasks he has to accomplish to inherit her cabin. It plays a bit like a Duplass Brothers movie but unlike those, I actually found this funny and entertaining to watch, and everybody is pretty likeable. It doesn't have a rating listed, but it would be an R for language.

I think my buddy bootlegged this as it doesn't appear to be available yet, but I'll be giving it a few bucks once it gets released. Also, skip the trailer.
Old 07-18-21, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it airs on Directv or Netflix I will check it out.

Maybe if you are 5 this is awesome movie but if you are old and cynical like me it is a grind.

Wonder why Key and Leguizamo decided to be a part of this.
Old 07-18-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tubi

I liked it though it deals with tough material. I support most movies with broken and imperfect characters.

Who knew back in 2013 Brie Larson, Rami Malek, and LaKeith Stanfield would be among the biggest stars in Hollywood a couple years later and John Gallagher, Kaitlyn Devers, and Stephanie Beatriz are not struggling either.

Old 07-18-21, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

I am not a huge fan of Iliza Shlesinger and her comedy but it had its moments though it was not LOL funny and maybe the guy was more likeable
Old 07-18-21, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hoping this would be under 90 minutes and it took maybe 30 minutes in before you saw the Looney Tunes characters.

It was not bad but not great either.

I thought the oriignal Space Jam would be easy to find on Blu-ray and maybe $7.99 or $9.99 at Amazon but just like Jordan's shoes they are scarce
Old 07-18-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorites.

It still holds though unfortunately the themes and problems that were prevalent in 1989 still exist today.

All or most of their characters had issues and were not perfect though Sal did not deserve to have his place burned down

Rip Danny Aiello and Bill Nunn.

This would be perfect for Broadway though maybe it is not high on Spike's priorities.
Old 07-18-21, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Black Widow (2021)

While I was definitely entertained, I wouldn't put the film among my favorites in the MCU. I agree with many in here that stated that the downtime this film unfortunately took really hurt it.

Absolutely loved Florence Pugh & David Harbour. Also, I know Taskmaster was very different in the comics but I really enjoyed the iteration of the character here as well.
Old 07-18-21, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021)

While the film is rarely boring, it was a bit of a disappointment.

Didn't find myself caring about any of the new characters (compared to the first). I honestly don't remember any of their names outside the woman who couldn't feel pain.

Appreciated one of the surprises the film did bring to the table though.
Old 07-18-21, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Next (2007) — Entertaining if not uneven sci-fi thriller. Nic Cage was fine but it was weird having a guy in his mid-50s (adding black hair coloring didn't make him look younger) wooing a woman in her mid-20s, and given the romance was a good part, that is a big strike against. Another strike was some shoddy CGI, seems like they didn't have the budget that would match the action sequences. All that said, found it to be an okay time-waster and an interesting idea that probably would work as a TV series. ***/*****
Old 07-19-21, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember Jullianne Moore in a interview with Andy Cohen said that was the worst movie she ever did which was surprising since usually they keep that info private.
Old 07-19-21, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Across The Universe Amazon Prime Streaming 4K version
Ben Sturgess, Evan Rachel Wood
A Musical featuring the songs of The Beatles, as a poor artist from Liverpool pursues an Upper Class American girl against the backdrop of The Viet Nam War and massive social conflict.
This is an incredible effort from director Julie Taymor and there are some terrific set-pieces. The first third is light and engaging. However, the longer the film goes on, the longer it seems. Taymor feels the need (or the responsibility) to fit in all the key Beatles songs as well as hit all the dark cultural touchstones of the period (War, Death, Drugs, Revolution). It became a rather grueling film.
Old 07-19-21, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eaten Alive Arrow Blu-ray
A psychotic redneck, who owns a dilapidated hotel in rural East Texas, kills various people who upset him or his business, and he feeds their bodies to a large crocodile that he keeps as a pet in the swamp beside his hotel.

This was intended as a "Jaws" rip-off, but much like "Jaws" the mechanical creature failed miserably and it ended up featuring a lot more scenery-chewing by veteran character actor Neville Brand than tourist-chomping by the gator prop. The story is told on very obvious sets rather than real locations, which gives it more of a "filmed play" quality. There's a ragged creepiness to a lot of the scenes, but the story is also very random, which keeps it from coming together as it should. Arrow provides some very entertaining features which gave me an added appreciation of the film.
Old 07-19-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

Not to be confused with American Woman the Sienna Miller movie that came out in 2018.

Geez come up with more original titles Hollywood!

Hong Chau from Downsizing and Driveways is in it and John Gallagher a underrated actor.

It was ok but kind of forgettable
Old 07-20-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

It was a good time killer though Bruce Willis maybe has 4 scenes and this was not his movie as the main character.
Old 07-20-21, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's one of those (many) BW movies where he was on location for a day or two.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (07-21-21)
Old 07-21-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fear Street Part Two: 1978 (2021)

I enjoyed the film, with its mish-mash of 70s/80s Slasher films with Supernatural elements, though I felt the film was long and a bit repetitive.

Could've done without 15-25 minutes and still had relatively the same film.
Old 07-21-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Epix

It got a little interesting maybe in the last 20 minutes.

Alison Williams maybe does not have the chops to carry a movie and her acting skills are limited.
Old 07-21-21, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Directed by John Carroll Lynch.

Probably Stanton's last role and David Lynch is in too as a actor
Old 07-22-21, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Criminal Tubi Streaming
Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones, Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot
In a last-ditch effort to stop a diabolical plot, a dead CIA operative's memories, secrets, and skills are implanted into a death-row inmate in hopes that he will complete the operative's mission.

Not a well-reviewed film, -and it certainly is convoluted, - but I was entertained by it. I thought Costner did well with an out-of-character role.

Last edited by DWilson; 07-23-21 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Star Trek (2008) - lost count of how many rewatches for me - great film & reboot
Old 07-22-21, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cinemax

Directed by John Swab a emerging director and a guest on the WTF podcast with Marc Maron.

Maybe I am naive but never knew about the subject matter of this movie.

Jessica Rothe is also in it.

I liked it though the ending felt like wait that is it or maybe that was the intention with the subject matter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.