Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 05-24-21, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Collateral Damage (2002) — Okay action-thriller that has some decent action and overall was entertaining. However, this is one where I think Schwarzenegger was the wrong choice to lead as someone like Bruce Willis (circa 2002 mind you) would've worked better. Still, has its moments. ***/*****
Old 05-24-21, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I remember watching that around 1995 when it was the Sat premiere on HBO.

I liked it the first time but the 3rd time I was bored.
Yeah, it's not a movie that would play well upon repeat viewing.
Old 05-25-21, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (aka "Night Warning") Shudder
Jimmy McNichol, Susan Tyrell, Julia Duffy, Bo Svenson. Directed by Wm Asher. 1981
"An orphaned teenager finds himself being dominated by his aunt who's hell-bent on keeping him with her...at all costs."

This is the kind of movie "Shudder" was made for. I remember seeing this on VHS rental shelves as "Night Warning" for years and years and never got around to watching it. Wow! This is just one big pot of Crazy, directed by William Asher, who was a veteran TV sitcom director. Susan Tyrell nearly chokes on the scenery as the demented aunt who murders a TV repairman for rejecting her advances, which sets in motion a police investigation. Bo Svenson seems to be having fun as a Police Detective who seems to hate every character in the film (it almost feels as if he's mocking the film itself). The longer the film goes on the more bizarre it gets, and really should come with a two-drink minimum.

Last edited by DWilson; 05-25-21 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts

Avengers: Infinity War - Next Marvel movie.
Old 05-25-21, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 759 Likes on 619 Posts

Showtime

This was a waste of time
Old 05-25-21, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Showtime

This was a waste of time
IDK, and I'm probably in the minority, but kind of liked this one.
Old 05-25-21, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Non-Stop (2014) — Second viewing of this and only works because of Liam Neeson. Despite seeing on the news that the plane was being hijacked, he would get any help from anybody given he had been acting like a crazy man throughout the film. Also the ending was a bit much with the villains' motivations. Still, liked it well enough. ***/*****
Old 05-26-21, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Operative - Diane Kruger stars as a woman sent in to Tehran on an undercover mission. Kruger is good, but her mission objectives are opaque, and the ending is not particularly satisfying in any way. (HBO Max)
Old 05-27-21, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
IDK, and I'm probably in the minority, but kind of liked this one.

Different tastes

I am not to the go to guy when it comes to horror.
Old 05-27-21, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

This was boring until the end.

Robbie shows one boob in the show if you want to tape it and fast forward to that and ignore everything else.

Old 05-27-21, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts

Smoke and Mirrors -The Story of Tom Savini Shudder
I have a number of blu-ray special editions of Horror films featuring special make-up effects by Tom Savini, -and each of those probably has a half-hour featurette devoted to the man. Savini is an entertaining guy who knows how to sell himself and his work. There's some new stuff here (at least for me) and a lot that I was familiar with, but for the most part this is worthwhile. My only quibble is that the director sometimes uses clips in a way muddies up Savini's timeline or confuses an issue.
Old 05-27-21, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Quiet Place - Saw this in the theater. Thought I would give it a rewatch in preparation for the sequel. (iTunes)
Old 05-27-21, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts

At Night Comes Wolves (2021)

An ad for this movie showed up several times on my Facebook feed, and it piqued my interest a bit but not enough to shell out for a rental. Then I found it while perusing the latest offerings on Hoopla and I thought, 'Why not?' After I watched this thing, the answer to that question came loud and clear.

The movie starts with a pretty badly injured woman bound to a chair listening to a disembodied voice tell a story about a shepherd boy and some wolves. You'd think that with that opening you're in for a remake of Wolf Creek or at least a nice little indie thriller. The fact is, the movie reaches that level of intensity only once (maybe twice if you're generous) after that first minute.

The bulk of the film is about a woman named Leah who finally has enough of Dan, her manipulative douche bag of a husband. She takes off, wanders into a diner where a server named Mary May figures out quickly how vulnerable she is. Mary May suggests that Leah meet Davey, a spiritual guru of some kind who lives in the woods and who might be able to help her out of the corner in which she finds herself. If you're thinking 'death cult recruitment' at this point, I'm not going to say you're wrong, but things aren't as straightforward as they first appear or should be.

This is Tj Marine's first feature, and he's thrown everything including the bathtub into his movie. From what I've read, he actually combined at least two short films he made earlier into this one story, and it feels that way. The domestic drama involving Leah and Dan should've really had more weight, but Marine just uses it as a way to get Leah to meet Davey.

Marine also goes back and forth in time, and he does a reasonably good job of keeping the narrative clear although the conceit ultimately feels unnecessary. This holds true for a lot of what's going on in the movie: a fair bit of attention is paid to Davey's abilities as a chemist, but a lot of that time just seems like Marine is running out the clock; the story goes back and reveals how the woman ended up being tied to a chair, but the way that plot dovetails with everything that's going on feels forced.

This movie is only runs 77 minutes, but the time drags because of the lack of focus and a primary storyline involving a cult that Marine feels invested in, but I suspect that people watching are going to feel quite differently. This is a half- (or perhaps quarter-) baked script that really needed an experienced screenwriter to go over a couple of times before it went before the cameras.

Footnote: if Marine had just written out the title the way most people would say it then he probably would've noticed the grammatical error it contains.
Old 05-27-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Epix

Directed by Max Winkler the son of the Fonz.

If you think your life is bad others have it much worse

I liked it though the ending was kind of sappy and if it was just the two brothers and not the girl that would have been better.
Old 05-27-21, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Took a week to finish this since it was so lame
Old 05-28-21, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Most Wanted Man - Based on a le Carre novel, this was PSH's final completed film. I found Hoffman's English with a German accent more annoying than effective, and as a whole the movie never really connected for me. (iTunes)
Old 05-28-21, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Le magnifique (aka The Magnificent One) (1973) — Interesting adventure-comedy started off shaky for me as the first 10-15 minutes was an over-the-top, unfunny spy spoof only to reveal it came from the mind of a novelist writing... an over-the-top spy book. Picks up from there going back and forth from the novel to real world. As a whole not great but Jacqueline Bissett was always easy on the eyes and has some nice scenes with lead Jean-Paul Belmondo. ***/*****
Old 05-29-21, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts

The Hurricane Heist (2018) - on TubiTV

A movie where a team of thieves try to rob a US Treasury facility during a category 4 hurricane should have winked at the audience more than this movie does. There are unintentional laughs—like cars being sent hurtling down the street while people somehow don't get sucked up by the same winds—but this movie takes itself a little too seriously for its own good. This is watchable if you don't mind painful accents and didn't bat an eye at the reality-free physics in The Core, but TBH while I sat through this thing I found myself wishing that I was watching Twister again.
Old 05-29-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,498 Likes on 947 Posts

The Housemaid (2010, Korea). A pleasant young woman is hired to be the nanny for an extremely rich family. The husband seduces her, but she doesn't mind. The wife is angry when she learns about it. The difference between the extremely rich and little people like her is that the rich can do whatever they want without repercussion. It's a sad movie.
Old 05-29-21, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,498 Likes on 947 Posts

Dragnet 1954. Jack Webb made a theatrical version of his famous television program. The pre-credit scene is great and I was excited to see more, but after that it's just the TV show shot with bigger cameras. The ending is supposed to be nihilistic, but it's just disappointing. Meh. (Tubi)
Old 05-30-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Vault (2021) — Entertaining enough heist-thriller that doesn't really break any new ground for the genre but still for the most part works, even if some aspects were pretty predictable. Chalk it up to no expectations given its straight-to-video status (and some poor photoshop work on the DVD cover), this would be worth a rental. ***/*****
Old 05-30-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Johnny English (2003) — Last seen this several years ago, probably when it was released in 2003, and pretty funny thanks to Rowan Atkinson. Not great but makes for a fun watch on a weekend when it's too hot to do anything outside. ***/*****
Old 05-30-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

A Quiet Place Part II (2021)

Fantastic sequel.

Contains much of what audiences loved about the first film, while slowly developing what might come next.

Millicent Simmonds is great in this film, stealing just about every scene she was involved in.
The following users liked this post:
DWilson (05-31-21)
Old 05-31-21, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Transporter (2002) — Fun action-thriller with Statham in his element. The car chases and fights were decent but would've been made better if not for the choppy editing. But all in all this was entertaining even though I've seen it a few times over the years. ***/*****

Transporter 2 (2005) — Not quite as good with some outlandish action scenes but like Statham and Kate Nauta (Oregon gal as it turns out) is hot, though she is a model, and her "acting" shows it. Still thought it was fine all in all. ***/*****
Old 05-31-21, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

A Quiet Place

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.