Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

The Man From Hong Kong Amazon Streaming

A Hong Kong cop (Jimmy Wang Yu) travels to Australia to extradite a drug dealer, and ends up confronting a crime lord (George Lazenby). Directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith, a highly prolific director of "B" Movies.

This was an attempt to cash in on the "Chop-Socky" film craze back in the '70s. It's a very effective Action Film that presents Jimmy Wang Yu in the sort of "International Man of Action" role Bruce Lee had in "Enter The Dragon". It's good but very dated fun with an endless supply of stunts of all kinds. It's probably best known for it's theme "Sky High" ("You... you've blown it all sky-high, by telling me a lie, without a reason why, you've blown it all sky-hiiiiiigh...")
Old 11-12-20, 09:11 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Based on a true story though it did not get really exciting until the end and Radcliffe is too young to play that role.
He’s the same age in the movie as the real person was.
Old 11-12-20, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We Need To Talk About Kevin Amazon Prime

This was brought to my attention by the episode "Chilling Children" from "Eli Roth's History of Horror" on AMC. While I had heard of the film, it really hadn't really grabbed my attention until now.

Eva (Tilda Swinton) is a mother trying to survive the aftermath of a horrible, violent act committed by her son, Kevin (Ezra Miller). Told in a non-linear fashion, Eva reflects back on her life as a carefree young woman, then the wife of a pleasant, somewhat oblivious man (John C Reilly), but primarily focusing on her relationship with her son Kevin, who from an early age seems to hate her, and in a very cunning way, determined to destroy her.
This is a dark, thought-provoking film. It was uncomfortable to watch, -it's told you where it's going, -but you want to see it through. Not for everybody, that's for sure.
Old 11-12-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

It's one of those roles that has hung around Ezra Miller for me. It's probably not the first thing I saw him in (looking at IMDB it was almost certainly Californication), but it's the first memorable thing I saw him in. It didn't matter how much I liked him in Perks of Being a Wallflower (and I did); he was still Kevin.
Old 11-12-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's one of those roles that has hung around Ezra Miller for me. It's probably not the first thing I saw him in (looking at IMDB it was almost certainly Californication), but it's the first memorable thing I saw him in. It didn't matter how much I liked him in Perks of Being a Wallflower (and I did); he was still Kevin.
I saw him first as the goofball version of "The Flash" from "Justice League". However, he's very convincing as "Kevin", and I just wanted to grab him and punch that smug look off his face. "Kevin" will stick, that's for sure
Old 11-12-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I don't know how Shannon and Jake kept a straight face during that toilet scene.

The beginning definitely a boner killer

It still holds up but not something I would buy on Blu-ray.
Old 11-12-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
We Need To Talk About Kevin Amazon Prime

This was brought to my attention by the episode "Chilling Children" from "Eli Roth's History of Horror" on AMC. While I had heard of the film, it really hadn't really grabbed my attention until now.

Eva (Tilda Swinton) is a mother trying to survive the aftermath of a horrible, violent act committed by her son, Kevin (Ezra Miller). Told in a non-linear fashion, Eva reflects back on her life as a carefree young woman, then the wife of a pleasant, somewhat oblivious man (John C Reilly), but primarily focusing on her relationship with her son Kevin, who from an early age seems to hate her, and in a very cunning way, determined to destroy her.
This is a dark, thought-provoking film. It was uncomfortable to watch, -it's told you where it's going, -but you want to see it through. Not for everybody, that's for sure.

That was a good movie

Old 11-13-20, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) — Since I already watched the first film last month, decided in celebration of the day, re-watched Part 2 and still highly entertaining though pretty tame by today's standards. Thought the cast was also a bit better than the first. Still has scenes that make little sense (how exactly did Jason find Alice?) but was fun nevertheless. ***¾/*****
Old 11-13-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Magic HBO Max

Anthony Hopkins, Ann-Margaret. Directed by Richard Attenborough. 1978
A wannabe stage magician finds success when he adds ventriloquism to the act. However, his dummy, Fats, becomes an outlet for his broken psyche as he becomes dangerously unbalanced.

I remember seeing this in the theater and being a bit disappointed, -I was expecting something "bigger", more shocking, and instead it's more of a Psychological Horror film that we used to get a lot in the early '60s. Watching it again, I'm still somewhat ambivalent. While it's well-written and certain sequences are well-staged, I think it's miscast. Don't get me wrong, -Anthony Hopkins is doing everything he can with the role, -its a good performance, -but he seems ten years too old for the part.
Lots of people my age still remember the TV ad. "Magic!"
Old 11-13-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I haven't seen it since 1988. I didn't remember just how good the animation was. Mrs Danger was convinced that it was CGI, with a computer dealing with all the complicated lighting effects. Nope, it was all done with hand-painted cell animation. It's an honest murder mystery too, with critical information in plain sight. So: a technical tour-de-force used in a pretty good movie.
Old 11-13-20, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Extreme Prejudice - Walter Hill's 1987 B movie boasts one of the greatest action movie casts of the 80s. Nick Nolte stars as a Texas Ranger who's childhood best friend (Powers Boothe chewing scenery in his white suit) has turned into the biggest local drug dealer/runner. There is also Michael Ironside's team of government mercenaries of unknown allegiance. With a cast including Maria Conchita Alonso, Clancy Brown, Rip Torn, Lamar Latrell, and a whole slew of other recognizable faces as well as an ending reminiscent of the Wild Bunch, it would be near impossible for this film to not be at least a little entertaining, but it's not quite the sum of it's parts. For whatever stupid reason this movie has never gotten an adequate North American home video release. I bought a HD copy on iTunes.
Old 11-14-20, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - This week's Arnold is the first of four sequels to T2 (3 movies, 1 TV show). I know this movie isn't universally loved, but I always liked it. Certainly it doesn't measure up to the first two films, but that's a really high bar. I thought it was entertaining, and I loved the ending.
Old 11-14-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Bridge Too Far - Epic film with a notable cast about the disastrous Operation Market Garden. I saw this film once on commercial TV years and years ago, and I didn't really remember much beyond vague memories of the Redford sequence. As a piece of filmed entertainment it's kind of hit or miss. There are stunning sequences like the aforementioned Redford sequence, but there are stretches that are not nearly as effective. From the extensive cast Connery, Hopkins, and Redford probably fair the best and O'Neal and Gould fair the worst with lots of major stars between.
Old 11-14-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Confidence (2003) - Con movie made in the wake of Ocean's Eleven. Starts out well enough I guess; Hoffman at least seems to be having fun. But it gets bogged down and by the end when the movie is showing us all it's cards I didn't really care. It doesn't help that the lead character explaining it all, played by Edward Burns, is basically a charisma void.
Old 11-14-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
A Bridge Too Far - Epic film with a notable cast about the disastrous Operation Market Garden. I saw this film once on commercial TV years and years ago, and I didn't really remember much beyond vague memories of the Redford sequence. As a piece of filmed entertainment it's kind of hit or miss. There are stunning sequences like the aforementioned Redford sequence, but there are stretches that are not nearly as effective. From the extensive cast Connery, Hopkins, and Redford probably fair the best and O'Neal and Gould fair the worst with lots of major stars between.
The title sequence is rousing, -the theme is terrific, -and then that astonishing list of actors, but then it doesn't quite match up to that. Perhaps because it's about a campaign that failed...

Last edited by DWilson; 11-14-20 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-14-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Twins of Evil Synapse BD
The last of Hammer Film's Gothic Horror "Carmilla" trilogy with Peter Cushing as cruel, conflicted man leading a group of Puritans who hunt and burn suspected witches. He is visited by his twin nieces, -one innocent, and the other seduced by a vampire.
A terrific performance by Cushing a film that really delivers the goods in "Hammer" terms (Gore, Nudity, and Gothic Atmosphere). The blu-ray's PQ is decent, but the contrast seems boosted, and the grain shimmers at times. An excellent feature-length documentary on all three films is included and a few other extras.
Old 11-14-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The title sequence is rousing, -the theme is terrific, -and then that astonishing list of actors, but then it doesn't quite match up to that. Perhaps because it's about a campaign that failed...
With Attenborough directing, Goldman writing, and that cast you would think this would be an all-time classic, but it's just not. Like I said I thought there were moments of greatness. Honestly, I think their scope was too big; tightening the movie would have helped.
Old 11-14-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday the 13th Part III (1982) — Decided to get in one more Friday the 13th movie and this one reminded me why it's not high on my list in the series, though I liked portions of it, just nothing involving Shelly and watching it in 2D, the shots made for 3D are pretty annoying. I will say, I did like the lead actress and I'm a fan of the hockey mask Jason. ***/*****
Old 11-14-20, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok for a one night viewing and not awful which is a hard bar for Cage to cross
Old 11-14-20, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Fan

I know it got horrible reviews but it is one of my favorites.

Not sure if I will ever watch the Contractor and just wish the Fan was the only movie on the disc and it had chapters and extras.

Old 11-14-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

American Assassin - I think I read a Vince Flynn (RIP) novel about ten years ago. This movie made the same amount of impression.
Old 11-14-20, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

The Fan

I know it got horrible reviews but it is one of my favorites.

Not sure if I will ever watch the Contractor and just wish the Fan was the only movie on the disc and it had chapters and extras.
Think there was a fair amount of interest in The Fan getting a Blu-ray release (for me because I believe right now, it's only full frame on DVD; it's one of those Sony titles where the initial pressings were widescreen, later ones full fame), so strange it wasn't standalone.
Old 11-14-20, 07:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Men in Black 3 (3D)...this movie was so much fun and more fun then it had any right to be. i really had a blast from start to finish. i'm kicking myself for putting it off so long. just pure, mindless fun, with a dash of heart. Stuhlbarg was great, as was Brolin, of course, but really liked Stuhlbarg's Griffin character. liked everything about this actually. solid fun, solid action. i'm glad this did well overall with WW take. truly a blast.

Old 11-14-20, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blow-Up - I didn't really get it so it may need to be a movie I watch again some day.
Old 11-14-20, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Boss Baby - Some animated films have crossover appeal. Some don't.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.